Why do the Packers seem to be blind to Badger football players when they are so close to Green Bay.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are very solid team right now. We have the luxury of not having to draft for need - although we have never done that anyway. No matter where a player plays or what position, if he is the best available, we should take him. We are only 2 unfortunate injuries away from any position becoming a serious 'need'.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok which one and how would we acquire said player?

JJ watt... Ok so we were picking at 32... We want to move to 10th or 11th to select JJ Watt ... That would have required us at a minimum to trade our first 3 picks.
Well, we could have just traded Hawk or Flynn for the #10 overall pick.

;)

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok which one and how would we acquire said player?

JJ watt... Ok so we were picking at 32... We want to move to 10th or 11th to select JJ Watt ... That would have required us at a minimum to trade our first 3 picks.

Patrick Willis would be nice too. Does such an observation really demand a feasible description of how we might acquire him? -C'mon...

Don't like this topic because the original question is so loaded.

I love Montee Ball but question whether he will be a special NFL running back. I don't think it would have made sense for the Packers to use a third round pick on Russell Wilson, but I really hope he slings it tonight for Seattle. The o-linemen produced by Wisconsin are usually some of the safest prospect bets in the NFL but they're usually geared for run blocking more than pass blocking. Regardless, in most years the Wisconsin offensive line boasts one or two players that would displace members of the current Packers preseason roster...

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that NFL teams can bring in guys from in-state schools and they don't count against the teams visits (though not sure if this happens anymore)

OP
OP
R

Robert Geib

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does run upright, isnt fast, and isnt big enough to take an NFL pounding. White his back up might have a better nfl career as crazy as that sounds. Only due to his speed though.

Its too early for me to focus on a position but I dont like drafting WRs or offensive linemen in the first unless its late, but yeah mostly secondary. D line would be nice, a great D tackle can do wonders for a MLBs career (Ray Lewis, Singletary, Lambert, ect). I wouldnt mind another TE if an elite one is available.

OP
OP
R

Robert Geib

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got that right..
Check the Seahawk score. I rest my case. Some players do well in certain systems and others struggle. Flynn would have been better off going to Miami. I watch every Wis game and what Wilson did in one year was exceptional.
Us Wis studs are doing well against the Buckeyes but it may not last with Urban Meyers on board.

OP
OP
R

Robert Geib

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick Willis would be nice too. Does such an observation really demand a feasible description of how we might acquire him? -C'mon...

Don't like this topic because the original question is so loaded.

I love Montee Ball but question whether he will be a special NFL running back. I don't think it would have made sense for the Packers to use a third round pick on Russell Wilson, but I really hope he slings it tonight for Seattle. The o-linemen produced by Wisconsin are usually some of the safest prospect bets in the NFL but they're usually geared for run blocking more than pass blocking. Regardless, in most years the Wisconsin offensive line boasts one or two players that would displace members of the current Packers preseason roster...
C
Check the Seahawk score. I rest my case.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
C
Ruling for the defendant Packers. We didn't have a third round pick because we traded it to move back into the second for Hayward. Once again, we can't pick guys that have already been picked and we work off a value system. The Seahawks are famous for reaching for players, regardless if those reaches are justified. Had Wilson still been there in the fourth or fifth, its quite possible we would have taken him. Stop whining.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pfff... uh, sure. I just think it's a dumb case that is only supported by a couple of preseason games. Besides, Wilson's value to Seattle is obviously much greater than it would be to the Packers at this juncture.

Our starting QB is not only well-entrenched, he's the league MVP. Fans would have raised hell if the Packers grabbed him before Seattle in the third round and he wouldn't see action unless Rodgers were hurt. The defensive help is worth more to Green Bay in their hunt for another title at this point.

As a Badger alum, I couldn't be happier for Wilson so far and I genuinely wish him the very best. However, I also recognize that Seattle afforded him an opportunity he probably would not have received in Green Bay. I'm glad things have worked out the way they appear to be working out (Carroll has not yet declared Wilson the starter).

So, yeah, I think the "case" that the Packers should have drafted Wilson is moronic.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, with Rodgers in his prime, I want to see the Packers use the high draft picks to surround him with players that will see the field. I also hope we continuously draft late round QBs in order to build them up and eventually trade them.

Back up QB is an important position though, and you need to take it seriously. I hope the packers brass has full faith in ours.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying it would have been moronic for the Packers to select Wilson before Seattle in the third round ≠ saying that backup QB is unimportant.

But thanks for telling me what I need to take seriously. I appreciate the unsolicited advice concerning your straw man.

whoa, trying to pick a fight much? If the post would have been directed at you I would have quoted you.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whoa, trying to pick a fight much? If the post would have been directed at you I would have quoted you.

So who was it directed at? ...And if not directed at anyone, why use the second-person ("you")?

Given the fact that your post immediately followed mine, acknowledged one of my central points, then instructs that backup QB should be taken seriously (in second-person), you'll have to forgive me if I drew the logical conclusion. Within the topic at that point (whether the Packers should draft more UW prospects and, specifically, Wilson) your comment about the importance of backup QBs is a virtual non sequitor. So why post anything at that juncture?

We've had friction in the past. I'll try to be less combative in the future. Perhaps you can be more thoughtful with your posts.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who was it directed at? ...And if not directed at anyone, why use the second-person ("you")?

Given the fact that your post immediately followed mine, acknowledged one of my central points, then instructs that backup QB should be taken seriously (in second-person), you'll have to forgive me if I drew the logical conclusion. Within the topic at that point (whether the Packers should draft more UW prospects and, specifically, Wilson) your comment about the importance of backup QBs is a virtual non sequitor. So why post anything at that juncture?

We've had friction in the past. I'll try to be less combative in the future. Perhaps you can be more thoughtful with your posts.

"you" was in general terms.

I give my opinion close to where you post and your just go on the attack? What do you want me to not post where you post? Lol. Dude you need to chill, if I am looking to direct something at you I'll quote you. Stop trying to start stuff when nothing is there to start.

I'll post where and when I want, if you have an issue with that I suggest you take it up with the mods.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You accuse me of being "intentionally quarrelsome" when you picked a fight out of nothing. Most people apologize for their mistake of accidentally jumping down someones throat but you seem to just want it to continue for watever reason.

Message me if you feel the need to continue your petty personal attacks.

It takes two to dance, ivo. If it's an apology you're needling for, then I'm sorry I attacked your earlier post.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It's simple economics folks and your draft board. If we could have had Joe Thomas at our pick he'd be a Packer. If we could have had Russell Wilson in the 7th we'd have him.
We don't have anybody from Purdue on the squad do we? But we have a guy from Louisiana Tech and one from Central Florida. You may know Wisconsin players, but what do you know about Central Florida players?
I think positions are devalued by need during a draft. So if a WR is a blue chipper and you are the Packers they become red chips and so on down the line. That's how GMs can say they picked the best on the board. It's hard to argue the Packers got good value throughout the draft. I still think Manning and Datko will be productive.
Would have loved to see Russel Wilson in camp, I think he's going to be special but no chance I'd change those middle round picks for the Packers. Are we all assuming Rodgers will miss a great length of time as starter this year?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's simple economics folks and your draft board. If we could have had Joe Thomas at our pick he'd be a Packer. If we could have had Russell Wilson in the 7th we'd have him.
We don't have anybody from Purdue on the squad do we? But we have a guy from Louisiana Tech and one from Central Florida. You may know Wisconsin players, but what do you know about Central Florida players?
I think positions are devalued by need during a draft. So if a WR is a blue chipper and you are the Packers they become red chips and so on down the line. That's how GMs can say they picked the best on the board. It's hard to argue the Packers got good value throughout the draft. I still think Manning and Datko will be productive.
Would have loved to see Russel Wilson in camp, I think he's going to be special but no chance I'd change those middle round picks for the Packers. Are we all assuming Rodgers will miss a great length of time as starter this year?

It's like that yes.

No one has complained we didn't draft nick toon.

We see a little success with Wilson in the preseason and get a little envious I guess.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't compromise your draft philosophy by going outside it and targeting a particular school. I'd have to see how our current talented roster in most peoples eyes could have been improved by doing so. As some have said for every action there is a consequence to it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
None of us know how the Packers had Wilson rated but if they had him graded about where he went (#75) and if he was still available at the Packers’ comp picks (#132 & #133), IMO he would be a Packer today. The best thing about Thompson’s draft philosophy IMO is that he does what all GMs should do but many don’t: He takes the long-term interests of the team into account. And what that means is when there is a player available who they have rated in a talent tier above the others available at their pick, Thompson pulls the trigger for the benefit of the future of the franchise.

There is no greater example of this than the Rodgers pick. In 2005 no one, including Thompson, expected Rodgers to be available at #24 yet there he was. That pick didn’t pay off until four years later when Rodgers started at QB and it really paid off six years later. Many NFL GMs just aren’t willing to take that kind of long-term view and that’s why Rodgers was still on the draft board at #24. Look at all the teams that passed on Rodgers. Thank goodness the other teams in our division passed on him; the Vikings passed on him twice. Ironically the Bears passed on him for some RB named Cedric Benson. None of us know how Rodgers would have progressed in another system under a different staff. But no one can question his physical talent or his determination to succeed.

BTW, I don’t think we have to assume Rodgers will miss time to be concerned about the backup QB spot because every player is susceptible to injury. If Rodgers isn’t available to start games needed to gain a playoff spot or for playoff games the hopes for a title this season go up in smoke IMO. What I expect from a backup QB on a team as talented as the Packers is the ability to keep the team in the playoff hunt until Rodgers’ returns. IMO there is a legit concern that Harrell isn’t that guy at this point.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hey cheer up, we may still get a shot a Scott Tolzien! He must be an incredible player after all he's a Badger! He'd probably still roast Harrell...

Members online

Latest posts