Why do 2nd year players regress?

D

Deleted member 6794

A few things...

Randall had some injuries, and he already wasn't a cornerback in college, so his confidence definitely took a shot... also the year of tape on him helped opposing offenses.

*The OTHER thing on Randall is that his ceiling is NOT a "number 1" type of cornerback. His ceiling is more like a solid, dependable, good "number 2" type of cornerback. So when Sam got hurt it also didn't help that he was supposed to be that "number 1" type of guy. Obviously we didn't draft him expecting him to overtake Sam Shields one day... or SOON rather... and that's what happened.

I think Randall still has the athleticism, skill set, and good enough ball skills to be a very solid "number 2" type of cornerback in the future.

Rollins is a number 2 type again at the VERY, VERY, VERY best. He is not athletic enough to be able to cover number 1 type receivers... he'll get burned all day. If Rollins if your 3rd or 4th cornerback on your depth chart... youj're in VERY good shape.. If he's playing as the 1st or 2nd cornerback... you're pretty f***ed if the opponent has any real deep threats/speed at the top of their wide receiver depth chart. .... I wouldn't be suprised if Rollins moved to safety down the line either.

So I think it also comes down to "projection"... and being "realistic". I would NEVER expect either of those guys to be a "number 1" type cornerback. I think people forget that Sam Shields is/was(when healthy) a true number 1 lockdown type cornerback. He was very, very good. But that's done now so.

Unfortunately Randall's confidence never wavered at all as he seemed cocky despite struggling mightily all season.

In my opinion he's best suited to play free safety while Rollins is best when lining up in the slot. That leaves the Packers with a huge void to fill at outside cornerback.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Randall's confidence never wavered at all as he seemed cocky despite struggling mightily all season.

In my opinion he's best suited to play free safety while Rollins is best when lining up in the slot. That leaves the Packers with a huge void to fill at outside cornerback.

Gunter!...........;)......:unsure:..... :(..... :cry:.....

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree on that but I think he has good enough skills to play a second corner position.

He'd be excellent at free safety but we already have Ha Ha who is the best we've had since Collins

We likely won't ever have a duo as good as Al Harris/Woodson and/or Mike McKenzie again with the current crop and rules so I think he is "good enough" to be a solid number 2

Rollins is limited and yea he need to play slot... but I feel Hyde can/does do that already and a better job at it so I would keep him ahead of Rollins, but it's always good to have as many as possible

I think the problem really jsut lies in not having a true "number 1" corner who can matchup with the other teams number 1... and that's why we got shredded by so many good offenses

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree on that but I think he has good enough skills to play a second corner position.

He'd be excellent at free safety but we already have Ha Ha who is the best we've had since Collins

We likely won't ever have a duo as good as Al Harris/Woodson and/or Mike McKenzie again with the current crop and rules so I think he is "good enough" to be a solid number 2

Rollins is limited and yea he need to play slot... but I feel Hyde can/does do that already and a better job at it so I would keep him ahead of Rollins, but it's always good to have as many as possible

I think the problem really jsut lies in not having a true "number 1" corner who can matchup with the other teams number 1... and that's why we got shredded by so many good offenses

I agree that not having a #1 cornerback was the Packers most glaring weakness in 2016. Hopefully Thompson will address it either via free agency or a trade.

While Hyde currently is a better player than Rollins he's headed toward becoming a free agent in less than three weeks and there's no guarantee he will be back next season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all mental when you see a sophomore slump.

The major points were already hit: lack of film study, lack of adjustment, loss of desire to scratch and claw to be the greatest, etc. Often times guys who do look good their rookie season, think that they have it made like Randy Moss. They can coast because this NFL thing is easier than everyone said. Then **BLAM** you get knocked around in Year 2. The smart players with character will pick up the pieces and salvage their careers. The cocky ones think it was a one-time deal and "stay soft" as someone else said.

These guys have the physical tools to play in the NFL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Shields, Harris and McKenzie were not #1 lockdown CB's there entire career. Imo,Harris was never in that status. They all took time to develop and grow. I'm hoping that either Randall or Rollins can one day be that kind of guy. In the short term, I think we likely need to bring in someone else to fill that role, though I still believe a consistent threatening pass rusher would have a huge effect on the entire defensive performance.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My buddy still will not forgive Al Harris for all of the holding penalties he got. He was a good veteran acquisition but took a while to get into the form that we all remember.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My buddy still will not forgive Al Harris for all of the holding penalties he got. He was a good veteran acquisition but took a while to get into the form that we all remember.
Imo, Harris was never as good as McKenzie.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apologies there may be a misunderstanding

A "lockdown number 1" is like Champ Bailey in his prime, Darrell Revis in his prime, maybe Richard Sherman... Josh Norman(maybe).. as examples that come to mind

But honestly... I would feel "comfortable" with McKenzie/Harris on ANYone back in the day... besides maybe Randy Moss haha ;)

I mean I can't remember too many times when Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams.. I think that was the trio in Detroit ever had good games against us...

Of course 4th and 26 is in their prime, but if I remember that play it was more so a gap in coverage between (over)Nick Barnett and (under) Darren Sharper

I would feel comfortable with either of those guys today

And Shields, I was always comfortable with him against the opponents number 1 when it mattered most... ask Dez Bryant ;)

I CRINGED, LITERALLY... CRINGED seeing Randall/Rollins/Gunter on Julio Jones.. and if that happens again it will be pretty bad... They're just not good enough. Randall has talent/potential, I agree, to develop into someone who can "maybe" take that kind of responsibility but he hasn't really shown it yet

Members online

Latest posts