Why do 2nd year players regress?

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking at you Randall and Rollins. Both had decent rookie seasons and one would think they would only get better year two. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and, while they both had injury issues this season, they both seemed lost when they were healthy and playing. I'm just curious as to why. Are they playing on natural instinct as a rookie and then, once they get "coached up," they're thinking too much? I look at Jake Ryan, though, and he seemed to improve from his rookie season to his 2nd year. Did the light just come on faster for him or could it possibly be the coaching these players are getting. Casey Heyward had an outstanding rookie year, but then seemed to regress soon after. I understand he had injury issues as well, but he was one of the top db's in the NFL this year with the Chargers.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking at you Randall and Rollins. Both had decent rookie seasons and one would think they would only get better year two. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and, while they both had injury issues this season, they both seemed lost when they were healthy and playing. I'm just curious as to why. Are they playing on natural instinct as a rookie and then, once they get "coached up," they're thinking too much? I look at Jake Ryan, though, and he seemed to improve from his rookie season to his 2nd year. Did the light just come on faster for him or could it possibly be the coaching these players are getting. Casey Heyward had an outstanding rookie year, but then seemed to regress soon after. I understand he had injury issues as well, but he was one of the top db's in the NFL this year with the Chargers.

Film. Kind of like the AAA player who comes to the majors and goes crazy. Eventually teams find tendencies and it's up to the player to adjust.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall had a terrible year but he was incredibly banged up the whole year. I'm not giving up on him yet.

I honestly don't know how I feel about Rollins.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could be film, it is possible that in season surgery and recovery and spending pretty much every week on the injury report had something to do with it too. Both are physically capable of being good corners when healthy. I think at least one of them them has it mentally to be good. Not sure about the other.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think players that appear to regress have major weaknesses in their game. While they may Excell at one thing their weaknesses become apparent over time and it becomes a bigger problem as the season goes on because opposing o coordinators in the case of Randall and Rollins take maximum advantage. With Randall it's his inability to play bump and run at the LOS. Randall also appears to not be able to change direction quickly but that may more to do with his injury issues. Players that are not well rounded can flash when they show the upside to their game eventually become liabilit is if they can't improve their weak points. It become especially poignant in the playoffs!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Film. Kind of like the AAA player who comes to the majors and goes crazy. Eventually teams find tendencies and it's up to the player to adjust.

I agree with this. Once the league has tape, they adjust to attack weaknesses. Then it's up to the player to make an adjustment and keep up.

H

HardRightEdge

I think most of the relevant factors have been touched upon above:

1) Injuries; playing is not the same as being healthy.
2) Playing on instinct has to be transitioned to more subtle aspects of scheme.
3) Opponents building a book of tendencies, tells, flaws

I'd add a 4th. Money. As the paychecks start rolling in, spending them may be a distraction. Not all guys are "all ball". I have no way of knowing which players might be vulnerable to this problem.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, having enough film to study, and then they have 'the book' on you.
So I guess the coaches should be looking at last years games right now and then working on whatever they see as deficiencies in individual players. Obviously position coaches should be doing this.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your own players and coaches should always be going over your game to improve it.

D

Deleted member 6794

So I guess the coaches should be looking at last years games right now and then working on whatever they see as deficiencies in individual players. Obviously position coaches should be doing this.

The coaching staff will start working on next season the week after the Super Bowl. I guarantee they will evaluate their own players as well as every upcoming opponent in depth before the start of OTAs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Doubt this was the case with Randall.

Recievers were able to do anything against him this season. It didn't look like taking advantage of a certain tendency.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt this was the case with Randall.

Recievers were able to do anything against him this season. It didn't look like taking advantage of a certain tendency.
Could not have said it any better. Randall was a mess every which way.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest factor is that these rookies come out of school, and keep training for the combine and pro day, then they are doing workouts and camps with the pros. Then they get drafted and start the rookie camp right away, heading directly into training camp, and pre-season..... Theres really no stopping that first year. You have these guys fighting for their NFL careers , and they never get enough time to soften up if they are seriously trying...

Year two they already have their NFL team. They already had a decent year in many cases. They get comfortable. Then to compound the mental weakness. They sit and get enough time to get comfortable. They get a little soft sometimes... So on one side the team expects the player to continue to get better. And reality shows they come in soft, over confident, and unprepared for an increased responsibility on the field. Then they usually play wreckless to make up for it, and they get hurt before they hit football shape.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Rollins to make it in the league, but probably as a safety.

It's a make or break year for Randall in 2017 for sure.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall does have the ability to be good.

He showed it in week one when he shut down Allen Robinson one on one most of the game.

For whatever reason though, his ability didn't show up much the rest of the season.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He showed it in week one when he shut down Allen Robinson one on one most of the game.
Who hasnt shut down allen robinson this year? Jags couldnt get robinson the ball all year, the whole year he only had 2 100yrd games.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall does have the ability to be good.

For whatever reason though, his ability didn't show up much the rest of the season.

I agree. I think Randall is a bit of a head case. Listening to him speak in interviews, he does not come across as a very impressive guy. Walks around like he's all-pro. Aren't you supposed to be good before you get cocky?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of the relevant factors have been touched upon above:

1) Injuries; playing is not the same as being healthy.
2) Playing on instinct has to be transitioned to more subtle aspects of scheme.
3) Opponents building a book of tendencies, tells, flaws

I'd add a 4th. Money. As the paychecks start rolling in, spending them may be a distraction. Not all guys are "all ball". I have no way of knowing which players might be vulnerable to this problem.

What is he spending too much time making it rain at the Oval Office?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I think Randall is a bit of a head case. Listening to him speak in interviews, he does not come across as a very impressive guy. Walks around like he's all-pro. Aren't you supposed to be good before you get cocky?
I noticed that on the video he posted before th championship game. Acting like Revis island, and then coming out and playing like.... well like :poop:...

Right up there with the undrafted guys who celebrate making a tackle when down by 30 points...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is the one i'm most worried about. I think Rollins will have his head on straight, and if he stays healthy, he's going to be good. would not be surprised for him to have a career like Al Harris did. Randall on the other hand is going to be boom or bust. He needs to get healthy, and then he needs to allow himself to be coached. He has the skills to be good, he's already made enough plays that show what he can do. The problem is, he thinks he's too good. He doesn't trust the defense, or even know it and by the end of the year i'm not sure he was physically able to play it either, but regardless, if he's not open to coaching and learning and playing technique and then making the plays when they present themselves he's going to get toasted right out of the league before his rookie contract is up.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few things...

Randall had some injuries, and he already wasn't a cornerback in college, so his confidence definitely took a shot... also the year of tape on him helped opposing offenses.

*The OTHER thing on Randall is that his ceiling is NOT a "number 1" type of cornerback. His ceiling is more like a solid, dependable, good "number 2" type of cornerback. So when Sam got hurt it also didn't help that he was supposed to be that "number 1" type of guy. Obviously we didn't draft him expecting him to overtake Sam Shields one day... or SOON rather... and that's what happened.

I think Randall still has the athleticism, skill set, and good enough ball skills to be a very solid "number 2" type of cornerback in the future.

Rollins is a number 2 type again at the VERY, VERY, VERY best. He is not athletic enough to be able to cover number 1 type receivers... he'll get burned all day. If Rollins if your 3rd or 4th cornerback on your depth chart... youj're in VERY good shape.. If he's playing as the 1st or 2nd cornerback... you're pretty f***ed if the opponent has any real deep threats/speed at the top of their wide receiver depth chart. .... I wouldn't be suprised if Rollins moved to safety down the line either.

So I think it also comes down to "projection"... and being "realistic". I would NEVER expect either of those guys to be a "number 1" type cornerback. I think people forget that Sam Shields is/was(when healthy) a true number 1 lockdown type cornerback. He was very, very good. But that's done now so.