Why didn't we trade for Marshawn Lynch again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse is the worst player on our line last season according to Pro football focus...... http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/
A third of the way down the page number 11 ranked line.

Don't sound so confident when I'm sure you don't study the left tackle position. I'm sure you'r one of the fans that just watches the ball. (can't blame you since we have rodgers) but you are wrong about newhouse being the answer

Right, it was his first friggin season starting too. His performance level increased by leaps and bounds as the year went on...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the time he was actually worse than Brandon Jackson, save for one pretty impressive and miraculous run. And we certainly wouldn't have kept him at the 4 year, $31 Million with $18 Million guaranteed deal he inked with the Seahawks, so really, all this is much ado about nothing..

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point is we could have had Lynch for the Small small price for a second round pick (used on Randall Cobb a returner and our 5th WR). We could have had a pro bowl running back for a guy that barely gets on the field.
Our team would be much better right now and have a whole other dimension to our offense. The idea that we shouldn't upgrade our many weaknesses because Rodgers covers them up is asinine. and tardachris still can't give me any valid points as to why we shouldn't have made the trade.

Eventually Rodgers isn't superman and if he doesnt have more help then we are going to lose every time. repeating the same actions over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity and spartachrisinte fits the bill. We could have ran draws all day on the giants and chiefs for 7 yards per carry with Lynch. But you would rather throw on a team built to stop the pass. You just don't know football my friend.

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the time he was actually worse than Brandon Jackson, save for one pretty impressive and miraculous run. And we certainly wouldn't have kept him at the 4 year, $31 Million with $18 Million guaranteed deal he inked with the Seahawks, so really, all this is much ado about nothing..
1. Lynch is a pro bowler and Jackson is a scub. That is incorrect and blasphemous

2. You don't know that we wouldn't have resigned him. The Seahawks resigned him and and we're still free agent signing this off season including getting a new QB.

Wrong on both points. Try again?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, I know absolutely nothing about football. Absolutely nothing.

The idea that we're somehow not addressing our weaknesses is asinine, just like every post you've made on the subject. The problem you have is realizing you don't always make moves because they benefit you today. You have to balance with improving your team today AND tomorrow. If you do it right, the players you select today will be the players who keep your team competitive tomorrow. We're in a position where we don't need Cobb to be a standout yet, which gives him time to grow and improve even more.

And seriously, what's the point in throwing away a high round draft pick for a guy we weren't going to extend at the money he wanted anyway? We weren't going to pay him $18 Million guaranteed over 4 years, so he would have, in essence, been a half year rental at the cost of a second round draft pick.

But no, I know nothing about football.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Lynch is a pro bowler and Jackson is a scub. That is incorrect and blasphemous

2. You don't know that we wouldn't have resigned him. The Seahawks resigned him and and we're still free agent signing this off season including getting a new QB.

BAHAHAHAHA! Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit, is it? Go back and re-read what I wrote. I said, "At the time.." It's fact that Brandon Jackson was better than Marshawn Lynch the year he was traded. Better for our offense too.

You're right, I don't know for fact we wouldn't have re-signed him, just like you don't know for sure we would have. So I guess you're just as wrong there. But using logic, and the fact we wouldn't extend Grant, is a pretty good sign we wouldn't extend Lynch for that kind of money. As for the free agent's we're signing this year, ever hear of the veteran minimum? We're getting a helluva deal on the guys we're bringing in through free agency, not dropping high dollar contracts. . But hey, thanks for playing!

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, I know absolutely nothing about football. Absolutely nothing.

The idea that we're somehow not addressing our weaknesses is asinine, just like every post you've made on the subject. The problem you have is realizing you don't always make moves because they benefit you today. You have to balance with improving your team today AND tomorrow. If you do it right, the players you select today will be the players who keep your team competitive tomorrow. We're in a position where we don't need Cobb to be a standout yet, which gives him time to grow and improve even more.

And seriously, what's the point in throwing away a high round draft pick for a guy we weren't going to extend at the money he wanted anyway? We weren't going to pay him $18 Million guaranteed over 4 years, so he would have, in essence, been a half year rental at the cost of a second round draft pick.

But no, I know nothing about football.
You don't know that we don't resign him. Stop talking in absolutes about that. MArshawn Lynch would have been a good player in 2010 (had the best run in playoff history), 2011, and looks to be good in 2012 and beyond. So that makes no sense.

The players that keep your team competitive tomorrow are the GOOD ONES. Marshawn Lynch is a GOOD PLAYER. A pro bowler. Who knows what we get in the second round. It turned out to be a 5th WR (not very useful). We have dynasty potential now. We have the opportunity to leave a huge footprint in time and solidify the packers as the best franchise all time and blow away the pats, steelers, 9ers, cowboys if the we can put enough around Aaron to win 3 out of 4 super bowls.

Ted Thompson's draft strategy as anyone knows is take the best player available. Marshawn Lynch is a better player than Randall Cobb. He made a mistake in not pulling the trigger there. Maybe another really good back will come along for cheap but its far from a guarantee. Until then we are a one dimensional offensive team with no defense. Gee I hope Rodgers NEVER makes a mistake.

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BAHAHAHAHA! Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit, is it? Go back and re-read what I wrote. I said, "At the time.." It's fact that Brandon Jackson was better than Marshawn Lynch the year he was traded. Better for our offense too.

You're right, I don't know for fact we wouldn't have re-signed him, just like you don't know for sure we would have. So I guess you're just as wrong there. But using logic, and the fact we wouldn't extend Grant, is a pretty good sign we wouldn't extend Lynch for that kind of money. As for the free agent's we're signing this year, ever hear of the veteran minimum? We're getting a helluva deal on the guys we're bringing in through free agency, not dropping high dollar contracts. . But hey, thanks for playing!
1. Jackson was never better than Lynch. IDC if he broke off a long run in the redkins game. Hes awful. Its not a fact at all. Quit making stuff up. Anyone who believes that is a fool.

2. Grant sucks. Thats why we didnt extend him. We should have extended Lynch because he's an awesome player. I'd assume TT makes the right choice but maybe you are right and maybe he makes a bad move but I don't think he would imo.

To the bold: We're not getting pro bowlers at the vet minimum either! not in the second round of the 2011 draft either for that matter!!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL @ your assertion that a rookie should somehow be a pro-bowler in his first season. So glad you can predict the future and see that Cobb will never be a pro-bowler in his career.

And I'm not making stuff up. Brandon Jackson was, in 2010, better than Marshawn Lynch. Check the stats for yourself! Plus, he was better suited for our specific offense, much more so than Lynch would have been that year.

And LOL @ Ryan Grant sucks. Dude, they're pretty much the same player. Look at the numbers. There's just not a lot of difference between the two:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9475/ryan-grant

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10456/marshawn-lynch

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant the last 2 years..... 600 rushing yards and no effect on the packers what so ever, with the best QB in the league

lynch the last 2 years...... close to 1800 yards and is a feature back the last like 26 games or so with no passing threat or o line.

Lynch played for the Bills most of his career. awful teams with literally the worst o line in the league every year

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Man. I hate seeing fans of my team act like your everyday Patriot or Giant fan. What a dumb thing to say. Yeah lets never acquire a good player again because we didn't need em to win it all in 2010.

Show me where I said we should never try to get a good player..Not sure how you made that leap. :speechless:

We did win it all w/o him, so my point is accurate...Now 2 years later, people STILL :cry: we dont have him...

Yet I am told I said something dumb? :tup:

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me where I said we should never try to get a good player..Not sure how you made that leap. :speechless:

We did win it all w/o him, so my point is accurate...Now 2 years later, people STILL :cry: we dont have him...

Yet I am told I said something dumb? :tup:
We need a good RB. We could have got one for the cost of a second round pick that turned into our 5th WR. Lynch > Cobb. We should have traded for Lynch we would be a better team now. point blank period

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Go back and re read the 1st few pages

Same key points from what WE KNEW....Right now you are basing your assessment on hindsight...

This was from the year we tried to trade for him and he went to Seattle...

Lynch for the season he had 3.7 ypc a long of 39 yards and 6 td...Receiving 145 yards and no TD...

His tds came at 1st ,2nd and 3 and goal..And his one good game (3 tds) was vs the worse team in the league, Carolina..18 atts at goaline, 5 tds

Now go look at Jax, he only had 4 tds total but how many times at goal line did they give it to him? he only had 14 att at goaline and got 3 tds

So again tell me why Lynch IS BETTER after only one game when he had 16 other games to prove it?

Another key point from that season

There was about 12 game he played with Seattle?

Not one thread ( that I seen ) about him from anyone saying--- wow look at him, we should have got him...

Now after ONE and it was only one good run (GREAT RUN)

Now people come out of the wood work?? Because of ONE RUN??

If these same people were on Lynch's jock all season , okay then I get the told you so post..

He did JACK **** in Seattle all year----hell we could say since he was so **** poor, he may have COSTS us games we should have won

When I was going over his situational stats on yahoo, not only did he have more fumbles than Jackson, but on 3rd down runs? he was 1.2 average!!

What Seattle fans said about him during the season..

ESPN.com: Seattle Seahawks Message Board

RB Mark Ingram would be nice, let's face it Lynch and Forsett aren't getting the job done.

think about it, if you had a running back that is fast and can get the ball out on the flat and create his own plays, we would have alot more offensive play calling and can do a variety of things. we do not have this option with lynch and forsett.

this team has progressively gotten worse since the Lynch acquisition.

Looks like SOME Seattle fans didnt think Lynch was good either?

9 for 7 .08 yards per carry

7 for 20 2.9 per carry

13 for 29 2.2 yards per carry

Marshawn Lynch - Seattle Seahawks - Game Log - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Lets not forget...Ted offered a 4th and HAWK at the time...Hawk really played well that season...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We need a good RB. We could have got one for the cost of a second round pick that turned into our 5th WR. Lynch > Cobb. We should have traded for Lynch we would be a better team now. point blank period

Your using hindsight...I didnt see one post from you mad we didnt get Lynch in the 1st few pages here...

Hell even fans of Seattle didnt want him, cuz he SUCKED....Then he had that one TERRIFIC run vs the Saints in the playoffs...That was all he did that entire season

Why did you make this and say just kidding?

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/...d-have-been-with-marshawn-lynch-though.26293/

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Interesting, beginning of this thread someone else pointed out same miss spelling..Hope your not him using two names..

While I am investigating if you are the same person, I am going to look for any spelling mistakes you made..

I found at least one in this thread..You spelled MArshawn

Point being, dont rag on someone for their spelling mistakes, as we all do it...Makes you look petty and embarrasses fellow posters

Holy crap..You didnt capitalize Steelers, Cowboys, spelled 9ers should be Niners

Shall I continue, or will you stop nit picking on peoples spelling?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Your using hindsight...I didnt see one post from you mad we didnt get Lynch in the 1st few pages here...

Hell even fans of Seattle didnt want him, cuz he SUCKED....Then he had that one TERRIFIC run vs the Saints in the playoffs...That was all he did that entire season

Why did you make this and say just kidding?

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/...d-have-been-with-marshawn-lynch-though.26293/

Yes but what a run that was!!!! I think I jumped out of my chair and started doing back flips or jumping jacks or something (or a combo of both) when it happened.

Good stuff!!! lol Saints.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes but what a run that was!!!! I think I jumped out of my chair and started doing back flips or jumping jacks or something (or a combo of both) when it happened.

Good stuff!!! lol Saints.

This thread needs to die.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The “pathology” of some Packers fans is fascinating. The most obvious example is those who still hate Thompson for the Favre-made-mess. All NFL GMs make mistakes and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with questioning each and every move any GM makes – that’s part of the fun of being a fanatic. So its one thing to disagree with Thompson’s decision at the time; even though I was anxious to move beyond Favre at the time I understood the other point of view. But Thompson was absolutely vindicated when the Packers won it all.

IMO the same analysis applies to Lynch in 2010. During the 2010 season when it became apparent B. Jackson was only a third down back (but a pretty good one IMO) and the staff recognized that fact I was in favor of picking up a veteran RB to take Grant’s place. I thought it was too much of a gamble to rely upon Starks who because of injury, missed almost his entire senior year and a lot of the 2010 season. So while I didn’t focus on Lynch I hoped Thompson would acquire whichever veteran RB he thought would fit best. But Thompson’s gamble paid off. I was wrong and he was right. BTW I have no trouble admitting that – I don't know as much about football or the NFL as Thompson does, I’m not privy to all the information he is, and I don’t spend every waking hour doing what he does for a living.

But look at what happens when fans can’t admit they were wrong. They fall into self-made traps like:

Calling a second round pick a “small price”. Thompson’s track record in the draft says otherwise.

Calling others, who look at the fact that the Packers won a championship without Lynch, ignorant.

Posting he “thinks (he’s) done now” and says this forum “blows” but continues to post on it.

Calling Thompson a bad GM for not acquiring Lynch knowing full well Thompson and McCarthy led the team to a championship without Lynch.

Calling Grant a fumbler when according to nfl.com, over his career Grant has fumbled the ball 0.69% of his touches and lost fumbles 0.59% of the time, while Lynch has fumbled the ball 1.09% of his touches and lost it 0.703% of the time. (Fumbling isn’t dependent upon the quality of the OL.) Those numbers are not that far apart, neither RB can accurately be called a fumbler. And that’s my point: Fans refusing to admit they were wrong when the facts show otherwise tend to post obvious exaggerations and incorrect information in an attempt to bolster opinions that have been proven by history to be incorrect.

He looks at the Packers of 2011 and sees a team that led the league in scoring and was 19th in scoring defense, was bad defending the pass, and determines the Packers are a stud RB away from being a dynasty. Sometimes the obvious fix is the correct one. Check Thompson’s UFA and draft acquisitions so far this off season for confirmation of that. No one can prove what would have happened, but thinking the presence of Lynch would have meant the Packers would have won the KC game or the playoff game is just wrongheaded IMO. The Packers offense is built on the passing game. And thank goodness it is since the league favors passing offenses.

And last but not least, he disrespects the acquisition of Cobb. What happens if Cobb has a breakout season this year? What happens if he becomes a matchup nightmare from the slot for the next several seasons? What happens if this post from April of 2011 (of course it was posted after Thompson didn’t trade for Lynch during the 2010 season) comes true?
I'm so happy we took Randall Cobb. This was a dream pick of mine coming into the draft. He can do it all. He played WR, RB, QB, and returner in college. He was good at everything and a menace in the open field. We are set with pass catchers for a long time. Ted Thompson is a genius.
No need to guess who posted this, is there? I would much rather have Cobb than Lynch, particularly because of the nature of the Packers offense. And IMO the Packers RB situation is not a disaster. What will this poster post if Green fulfills his potential or Starks stays healthy all season, or Saine or Tyler emerge? I really don’t care but I do know this: It’s better to just admit you’re wrong. IMO it’s a sign of intelligence to change one's opinion when new facts emerge. And no matter how virulently anyone protests, the fact is the Packers won Super Bowl 45 and Marshawn Lynch wasn’t on the roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revisionistic.

I wanted Lynch, but it was a big risk. At the time he had abandoned a car after a wreck (IIRC) and was suspected of DUI. Seattle took a risk. I would much rather have Cobb and his future, which I think is pretty bright.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I would much rather have Cobb and his future, which I think is pretty bright.

Absolutely, no question about it. Lynch is pretty damn good, but he plays a less important position and one that has a much shorter life span. I can see Lynch quickly becoming the next Marion Barber. His physical style of running simply isn't going to allow him many more seasons of significant contribution, and there are countless examples of that lately. Running backs just don't offer the same kind of value that they used to, and that is reflected in the small contracts they are receiving presently.

Would I like to have Lynch on this team? Sure, in a perfect world. But, not for the money he is currently receiving and absolutely not at the expense of Cobb who should become a significant weapon on this team for the next 8-10 seasons. I see him being the number 3 WR this year, in addition to a great returner and an occasional RB. Who knows, perhaps he becomes a borderline #1 or 2 WR in the coming years as injuries occur or others leave via free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts