Why didn't we trade for Marshawn Lynch again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timmy_Smith]Timmy Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

lynch wouldnt be the first garbage rb to have a highlight reel in the postseason

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol @ people suggesting we had to make a Herschel Walker type deal to get Lynch. A 2nd rounder at most would have got it done.

Nowhere did I suggest we would have had to make a Herschel Walker type deal, but your assertion that we should have signed Westbrook in the off-season (How did SF fare with him BTW?) and traded for Lynch would have caused us to over-haul our running back corps. Someone would have to go, and my guess is we wouldn't have taken Starks had we gone the route of signing Westbrook. Or we would have cut Jackson, which is taking an awful big risk for a guy with major health issues.

As for your ridiculous Herschel Walker assertion, Buffalo got TWO draft picks from Seattle- A 4th rounder and a conditional 6th that I think is now a 5th. They would not settle for a 4th round pick from us. It had to be a 3rd round pick because it was expected at the time our 4th round pick would be lower than Seattle's.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are overvaluing the draft more than TT. Just wait till the draft when we take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. The guy we draft isn't gonna be as good as lynch.

How in the hell can you possibly know that?

Two words for you: Ryan Grant.

Two more words for you: Arian Foster

Two running backs that are far superior to Lynch in every single way, yet were drafted much later, or not drafted at all.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant in 2008/2009 with the packers vs Marshawn Lynch in 07/08 with the BILLS!

Grant had 1200 yards, 4 td's, 18 catches for 116 yards and 1 td and 4 fumbles
1250 yards, 11 tds, 25 catches for 197 yards and 0 td's

Lynch had 1100 yards, 7 td's, 18 catches for 184 yards and 0 Td.... (40 less carries)
1036 yards, 8 td's, 47 catches for 300 yards and 1 Td... (30 less carries)

Lynch posted those stats with the HORRID buffalo bills. Grant did it with the packers with an insane passing game that opens up the run.

I think Lynch then would be a great replacement for Grant for the season. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Jackson who couldn't even break more than a 1-2 yard run vs philly!

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the hell can you possibly know that?

Two words for you: Ryan Grant.

Two more words for you: Arian Foster

Two running backs that are far superior to Lynch in every single way, yet were drafted much later, or not drafted at all.

I could name a ton of RBs that didn't pan out at all

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you could. I was merely point out that you have no friggin clue how a RB is going to turn out based on where we draft him. He could be balls to the wall good or could absolutely suck balls. You have no idea.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me other good runs by him all season long

I will be waiting

show me ANY decent runs by B Jack who was the starting HB and not off injury. Lynch was coming off injury and therfore buried on the depth chart. Despite his few carries that he did have, he had better stats than Jackson. Your argument was basing Lynch's performance off of ONE season and ONE run. He's been MUCH better of a back than Jackson ever could be

this season...

Jackson 190 carries, 703 yards, 3 touchdowns
Lynch 202 carries, 737 yards, 6 touchdowns

This is with Jackson starting 15 games, and Lynch starting less than 12 games

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you could. I was merely point out that you have no friggin clue how a RB is going to turn out based on where we draft him. He could be balls to the wall good or could absolutely suck balls. You have no idea.
Why take the risk when you have a good player sitting in front of you?

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Terrell Davis was drafted in the late 6th round.... and he turned out pretty well

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowhere did I suggest we would have had to make a Herschel Walker type deal, but your assertion that we should have signed Westbrook in the off-season (How did SF fare with him BTW?) and traded for Lynch would have caused us to over-haul our running back corps. Someone would have to go, and my guess is we wouldn't have taken Starks had we gone the route of signing Westbrook. Or we would have cut Jackson, which is taking an awful big risk for a guy with major health issues.

As for your ridiculous Herschel Walker assertion, Buffalo got TWO draft picks from Seattle- A 4th rounder and a conditional 6th that I think is now a 5th. They would not settle for a 4th round pick from us. It had to be a 3rd round pick because it was expected at the time our 4th round pick would be lower than Seattle's.

1. Westbrook did awesome for the 9ers when he finally got his chance.
2. I obviously only wanted 1 of those 2 stud RBs
3. I only made the Herschel Walker comparison because I read somebody saying we should risk our entire future on the Lynch trade. I can't find who said it now though lol.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant in 2008/2009 with the packers vs Marshawn Lynch in 07/08 with the BILLS!

Grant had 1200 yards, 4 td's, 18 catches for 116 yards and 1 td and 4 fumbles
1250 yards, 11 tds, 25 catches for 197 yards and 0 td's

Lynch had 1100 yards, 7 td's, 18 catches for 184 yards and 0 Td.... (40 less carries)
1036 yards, 8 td's, 47 catches for 300 yards and 1 Td... (30 less carries)

Lynch posted those stats with the HORRID buffalo bills. Grant did it with the packers with an insane passing game that opens up the run.

I think Lynch then would be a great replacement for Grant for the season. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Jackson who couldn't even break more than a 1-2 yard run vs philly!

You are right. Lynch would have been tremendous. We should have given up a #1 pick

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me other good runs by him all season long

I will be waiting
You posted that knowing these plays are hard to find because of NFL rules

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dmh9TMD73k&NR=1"]YouTube - Marshawn Lynch 39 yard run against the cardinals[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEAwoxS36o"]YouTube - Marshawn Lynch "Beast Mode" - best 7-yard run ever[/ame]

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you trade for Lynch because of what he did in 2007? Are you kidding me??? The leading rushers in 2007 were LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook, and Willie Parker. Want these guys (other than AD)? We are now in 2011. I've got an idea for you ... go out and buy some Enron stock. I hear that was a high-flyer back in the day.

Lynch rushed for 450 yards in 2009 and 737 this year and averaged about 3.5 yards per carry. He is JUST A GUY. Nothing special.

I agree that Jackson is just a guy also. Nothing special there. But, why would you throw good money at bad?

We are just fine with Starks and Jackson. And Grant/Starks may be even better next year.

And if we had missed the playoffs a lack of running game would have been a big reason why. Thank god we have Aaron or we would be nothing on offense.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you trade for Lynch because of what he did in 2007? Are you kidding me??? The leading rushers in 2007 were LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook, and Willie Parker. Want these guys (other than AD)? We are now in 2011. I've got an idea for you ... go out and buy some Enron stock. I hear that was a high-flyer back in the day.

Lynch rushed for 450 yards in 2009 and 737 this year and averaged about 3.5 yards per carry. He is JUST A GUY. Nothing special.

I agree that Jackson is just a guy also. Nothing special there. But, why would you throw good money at bad?

We are just fine with Starks and Jackson. And Grant/Starks may be even better next year.

We/I am not saying keep Lynch long term. Just for this season to replace Grant. All the names you mentioned... LT, Brian Westbrooks, Wille Parker... HELL TO THE FRIGGING YES I'd take any of them in a heart beat over Brandon Jackson! ANY of them would have given us a much better rushing season than BJack. No one said Sign Lynch as our future, Grant/Startks are our future. Lynch would have just been a one year deal to make sure we didn't have a horrid running game, which.... we did

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just guys don't make that run against the saints in the 4th quarter of a tight playoff game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lynch is so good why only 3.5 yrds a carry in Seattle? The O-line? thats right. And why was he the 3rd RB in Buffalo a team thats one of the worst in the league? Oh thats right bc they dont know what they are doing.

If we would have traded for Lynch it would have been like Dallas trading for Roy Williams in Detroit. Lets just grab someone that isnt even the best player at their position from a garbage team.

Starks had a huge day. Dont know how this is still an active thread. Its like the people who think having favre would still make us a better team.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We/I am not saying keep Lynch long term. Just for this season to replace Grant. All the names you mentioned... LT, Brian Westbrooks, Wille Parker... HELL TO THE FRIGGING YES I'd take any of them in a heart beat over Brandon Jackson! ANY of them would have given us a much better rushing season than BJack. No one said Sign Lynch as our future, Grant/Startks are our future. Lynch would have just been a one year deal to make sure we didn't have a horrid running game, which.... we did

You are right

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
show me ANY decent runs by B Jack who was the starting HB and not off injury. Lynch was coming off injury and therfore buried on the depth chart. Despite his few carries that he did have, he had better stats than Jackson. Your argument was basing Lynch's performance off of ONE season and ONE run. He's been MUCH better of a back than Jackson ever could be

this season...

Jackson 190 carries, 703 yards, 3 touchdowns
Lynch 202 carries, 737 yards, 6 touchdowns

This is with Jackson starting 15 games, and Lynch starting less than 12 games

As I have said a few pages back

Lynch got 3 tds vs Carolina, Carolina is 23rd against the run ( 2 of the TDS were from 1 yard line)

Lynch had more chances on goal line 19 chances 5 tds.

Jax 14 goal line chances got 3 tds

Jackson receiving TD 1, 342 yards

Lynch 138 and no TDs

I mentioned this as well

The amount they wanted did not warrant trading him..Packers were offering a 4th AND A PLAYER rumored to be Hawk

Show me again why he was so much better then Jackson please?

Stats and situations look almost identical if you ask me

Lynch no way no how DURING season out performed Jax

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lynch is so good why only 3.5 yrds a carry in Seattle? The O-line? thats right. And why was he the 3rd RB in Buffalo a team thats one of the worst in the league? Oh thats right bc they dont know what they are doing.

If we would have traded for Lynch it would have been like Dallas trading for Roy Williams in Detroit. Lets just grab someone that isnt even the best player at their position from a garbage team.

Starks had a huge day. Dont know how this is still an active thread. Its like the people who think having favre would still make us a better team.
He was never really the 3rd RB in Buffalo. He was the #1 RB until he got suspended. Then he was splitting time with Jackson. Then before this season the Bills drafted Spiller because he was the best player available. The backfield got crowded after that so they had to move somebody and they picked Lynch. He was never 3rd on the depth chart ever. Get your facts straight.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so I'm clear .. you are saying that TT made a mistake because he didn't give up a #3 2011 draft choice to get Marshawn Lynch for 10 games?

And, you do know that Willie Parker is still a free agent. So, that means that the other 31 GMs are stupid also? Surely, a stud like Willie could have helped any team in the NFL win another game or so. Same with Westbrook ... what a find for the 49ers by their ex-GM.

I'm saying TT almost made a huge mistake not getting ANYONE to replace Grant. Hell, ALL the best rushing teams have a two headed monster. Some have three! Ravens have Rice, McGahee and McLain.... Dallas has Jones, Barber and Choice.... Kansas city has Charles and Jones.... the list goes on... we have Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn (until Starks, who was UNproven, came off of PUP)

You can't just sit there and HOPE that Starks miraculously stays healthy the rest of his career, or hope that somehow BJ learns how to run the ball. Before we knew anything about Starks, I would take a Grant/Lynch rushing combo all day long next season

OP
OP
R

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading the leading tackler on the packers would not have resulted in any more wins.

They turned down a 3rd and a player before the draft actually.
All they had to do was make a better offer than Seattle unless I'm missing something. Seattle offered a 4th and a 6th. a 3rd and a 6th isn't much at all for us to beat their offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts