Why Did The Packers Stop Playing In Milwaukee?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
From what I remember. Money. The old stadium in Milwaukee didn't have luxury boxes. And with the newest updates to Lambeau, it wasn't worth it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stadium was smaller. Many seats had obstructed views and the seats often did not directly face the field since County stadium was built for baseball. In September the Packers had to contend with the infield and the end zones were very close to the outfield wall. All in all it was amazing the Packers played in Milwaukee as long as they did. I remember going to games there and it wasn't unusual to have part of the field obstructed by a steel beam holding up the upper deck. During the long down years between Lombardi and Holmgrem it seemed like the Packers would often play their best football at County Stadium.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of reasons. The Packers were a better and didn't need the MKE crowd to keep seats filled. The contract ran out, we were going to renovate a stadium and they got tired of road home games. even though it's close, everyone travels from the team to the equipment guys. Home games should be home games.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were also years of complaints by other teams for having to share the same sideline. And being that it was a baseball field, it was a pretty lousy place to watch a football game.

D

Deleted member 6794

From what I remember. Money. The old stadium in Milwaukee didn't have luxury boxes. And with the newest updates to Lambeau, it wasn't worth it.

Lots of reasons. The Packers were a better and didn't need the MKE crowd to keep seats filled. The contract ran out, we were going to renovate a stadium and they got tired of road home games. even though it's close, everyone travels from the team to the equipment guys. Home games should be home games.

Lambeau Field wasn't yet renovated at the time the Packers stopped playing home games in Milwaukee after the 1994 season. In fact, it took another six years to pass a vote in Brown County to agree to a sales tax paying for the expansion. In addition you have to realize that season ticket holders from County Stadium still receive tickets to two home games in Green Bay as part of the Gold package.

During the long down years between Lombardi and Holmgrem it seemed like the Packers would often play their best football at County Stadium.

That's true as the Packers had a .596 winning percentage playing at County Stadium from 1968-91 compared to only .419 at Lambeau Field over that period.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like multi use stadiums.....You build a stadium for football or baseball....not both !

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first and only Packers game growing up as a kid in Milwaukee was a preseason game at County Stadium. The view sucked and was nothing like what I came to realize was the real experience in Lambeau.

From the Wiki page:
Ironically, County Stadium was partly responsible for Lambeau Field's existence. County Stadium was not only intended to lure an MLB team to Milwaukee, but also to lure the Packers to Milwaukee full-time. As originally constructed, County Stadium was double the size of the Packers' then-home, City Stadium, leading the NFL to give the Packers an ultimatum—build a bigger stadium or move to Milwaukee. Green Bay responded with a referendum that resulted in a new City Stadium, which opened in September 1957.[46] After eight seasons, the venue was renamed "Lambeau Field" shortly after the death of team founder Curly Lambeau in 1965.

From the Packers website:
MILWAUKEE
  • Borchert Field, 1933…Packers played one home game here in 1933. Played a non-league game here against Racine in 1921, one road game a year against the Milwaukee Badgers from 1922-26 and a non-league game against the Milwaukee Eagles in 1927…Named Athletic Park prior to 1928…Located on a city block bordered by Burleigh, Chambers, 8th and 7th streets.
  • State Fair Park, 1934-51... Located in West Allis within the Wisconsin State Fairgrounds…In 1939, Packers played host to an NFL Championship Game for the first time and selected State Fair Park as the site over City Stadium, triggering an outcry in Green Bay.
  • Marquette Stadium, 1952...Home to Marquette University football until the school dropped the sport following the 1960 season.
  • County Stadium, 1953-94...Home to baseball’s Milwaukee Braves and Brewers…Off Interstate 94…Both benches were located along the east sideline…End zones ran north and south from the third base line to right field…Demolished to make way for Miller Park.
Another good link to the Packers' history in Milwaukee: https://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/packersvikingsgoldgame.html

All of that said, I remember once reading that Lombardi really valued the Milwaukee games because it expanded the Packers fan base and allowed a greater number of fans to watch them play. That may have also been the reason that they started doing it back in the 30s. Once the 1990s rolled around, I think that the Packers likely felt that the franchise was cemented throughout the state. Financially the Packers didn't need to play in Milwaukee anymore. In the 30s it was a trek to get to Green Bay for a game. Since they built I-43, it's a quick 2hr drive for a game. The Packers didn't need Milwaukee anymore. The team is more global than ever before.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Lambeau Field wasn't yet renovated at the time the Packers stopped playing home games in Milwaukee after the 1994 season. In fact, it took another six years to pass a vote in Brown County to agree to a sales tax paying for the expansion. In addition you have to realize that season ticket holders from County Stadium still receive tickets to two home games in Green Bay as part of the Gold package.

That's true as the Packers had a .596 winning percentage playing at County Stadium from 1968-91 compared to only .419 at Lambeau Field over that period.
By this time Lambeau had more seats than county stadium. Plus it had boxes which county stadium did not have. Which in the long run means more money. Not saying money was the only reason, but it was one of them. And the fact is, they had just finished an expansion in 1994.

D

Deleted member 6794

And the fact is, they had just finished an expansion in 1994.

You're right that the Packers expanded Lambeau Field for the start of the 1995 season by adding 90 private boxes in the north end zone.