why did Tampa get the ball when it was ruled a fumble?

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone explain something to me, please. Tampa Bay fumbled the ball, the refs didn't call it, Sherman challenged it, won the challenge, yet Tampa still got the ball. We were at the local watering hole, and it was so noisy, we couldn't hear what the announcers were saying, but no one in the bar could understand this ruling. I would certainly like some of you people who know a lot more about football than I do to explain this to me. Thanks in advance for your help. :?: :?: :?:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play was whistled dead prematurely by the officials. Once the whistle blows, the play has to end because players are supposed to stop playing when they hear the whistle.

When Sherman challenged, he should have already known that there was no hope of getting the turnover. He did win the challenge and force the Bucaneers to lose yardage, but it wasn't worth the bother. They picked up the first down a couple plays later anyway.

This year the officials have been told not to be so quick with the whistle, so that these things don't happen, but they keep making this same mistake anyway.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inadvertent whistle bugs the crap out of me. I wish the refs would just let plays continue if it's not conclusive instead of blowing the whistle, that way the replay can always correct the call one way or the other.

We lost a fumble recovery last week too because the whistle blew the runner down too soon when he fumbled.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The officiating in the NFL has to be the worst of any organized sports I've ever seen, including high school. It won't change until teams force it to.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Tampa board they agree with your assessment of the officials, but they said a bad call got you guys a TD and if the refs had been fair, GB would have never been in it.

OP
OP
C

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were other calls that the refs made too. A holding call was missed, and so was an intentional grounding. I think all the refs should take an eye test before they become refs. Some of them need to take an IQ test also. I am very angry with them, and as far as Tampa Bay goes, I didn't see any bad calls against them.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the ref blowing the whistle too early was garbage. That should have been an interception and TD for us. The refs have been terrible.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
On the Tampa board they agree with your assessment of the officials, but they said a bad call got you guys a TD and if the refs had been fair, GB would have never been in it.

No surprises there as far as Buc fans are concerned - totally expected.
In their eyes the bandwagon has started running again... Which means it'll be like it was several years ago when Chucky took "Tony Dungy's team" to the Superbowl.... on a free ride. I would even go so far as to say that had it been Tampa against just about "any" other Team in the NFL for that Superbowl - they would have lost. The Raiders lose a starting player due to some sort of drugging... prior to the game....(?) Very weird timing on that incident - smelled of corruption / of a fixed game so to speak... at the time, that Player was like Reggie White was for us...

And even before that, the Refs took another chance away from Al Davis over that snow job against the Patriots which "gave the Pats" their first Superbowl option... it should have been the Raiders in THAT Superbowl (2001) and most fans agreed with each other online at that time.... Anyone noticing a trend?

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
I agree that the ref blowing the whistle too early was garbage. That should have been an interception and TD for us. The refs have been terrible.

I don't get it. The fumble would have been intercepted and returned for a touchdown? Explain.

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
And even before that, the Refs took another chance away from Al Davis over that snow job against the Patriots which "gave the Pats" their first Superbowl option... it should have been the Raiders in THAT Superbowl (2001) and most fans agreed with each other online at that time.... Anyone noticing a trend?

There's a trend of you taking isolated incidents and constructing conspiratorial scenarios out of them.

In one example, Gruden gets shafted (tuck rule). In the other example, Gruden gets blessed (NFL poisons bipolar Barret Robbins, who is currently in jail, probably because the NFL is trying to silence him).

Members online

Latest posts