why change brett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the first quarter of the Steelers game, how many WR'S were wide open for #4 to throw to?

Brett certainly couldn't tell you since he locks in on one guy (usually DD) then tries to fire it into coverage.

Watch the first quarter again and you'll notice guys open with Brett eyeballing one guy. And the protection was very solid, so he had time to make the correct read.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's another way to see it, Warhawk.

I think Favre is sending a message to these young pups that they have to get serious and work harder in order to play as a team. Sometimes the media is a good tool for the leader of the organization to get through to these type of players.

If you look at what Favre was saying, he really wasn't trashing them. He went out of his way to compliment them first, and then say, "But this is what we need to be working on".

In my view, that's a good way to send a message sometimes. Many great leaders have done so in the past. You can't really molly-coddle these guys. Lombardi was great at this kind of thing. It works as a motivational tool. If you just said, "Yeah, everybody is great. There's no problems that I can see", then teammates will get slack and lackadaisacal. But if you say, "Here's our problem and we can get it fixed by doing this", people's ears tend to perk up, especially guys that may be on the bubble.

Football. It's all very psychological.

Well said. The day you have to coddle football player's delicate sensibilities is the day football will be as wimpy as soccer. God forbid that ever happens.

As Jenna Jameson says, you should never be content or else the competition will catch you.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brett should start blaming himself when he plays poorly, not go out in media to bash his teammates.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Look! Reality says you can not rebuild a team all at once. It has to be one phase at a time. It takes four years at least.

Can anyone argue that T.T. has not done a great job on the Defence? Phase one Check.

A young good punter Phase two Check.

A solid Kicker- Phase three Check.

Now he has to rebuild the Offence.

As far as Brett is concernd, I agree that right now he still has a little gas in the tank. Is he better than Rodgers right now? Who knows? Rodgers has not had the snaps. In fact it is sick how many snaps he has had going into his third year after being a first round draft pick, and the second QB taken in his draft year.

Rodgers was outstanding last week. It was shocking considering how many snaps he has had for experience. Like it or not, Rodgers is the future of this team.

Go ahead.... Let Brett's pride dictate the team. When he throws 3 int's leave him in there. When he has the team up by 28 points, leave him in there he is having fun and going for the records.

The faster A-RODGE gets the experience the faster the Packers get to contenders. If you leave Brett in there now with no offensive weapons to work with it does him no good, and more imortantly it does A-RODGE no good. At least if A-RODGE is in there he will have 2 solid years of experience when the re-building process is finished in the year 2009 and the Offence and Defence are both there.

You can not use the Woodson/Farve analogy. Woodson does not have a first round 24th overall pick sitting on the bench holding a clip board behind him. Brett does.

Like it or not that is my opinion, and forums are about opinions. This does mean you have the right to call me a drunk or a loser, and I am not bashing Farve.

R.P.

You are definately entitled to you opinion and I would never call you a drunk or a loser. That would be considered a personal attack and this forum does not allow that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We get it, Donald Driver and Greg Jennings suck.

Favre apparently needs Moss, TO, and Chad Johnson and only pro bowl recievers, because nothing says "great QB" like "I can only do this if I have the best possible options in the world."

That doesn't say much about Favre, if you ask me. Is this really how you feel?

I feel....it was preseason week 1. Good,bad, ugly....preseason week 1... lol

:rotflmao: , because over the last three seasons, in the month of december, Brett Favre has always had guys like TO, Moss and Chad Johnson to throw the ball to. Brett said it himself, he used Seattle as an example of how the first string offense went down the feild and scored. DD is a pro-bowl WR, but after that, we clearly do not have a playmaker on the offense. I don't know who is going to step up, hopefully your boy GJ does, but right now, GJ looks as lost as he did last season. Nobody was open in those first couple of series on Saturday. Brett was constantly under pressure fro blitzes, and there was nobody for him to throw the ball to.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett certainly couldn't tell you since he locks in on one guy (usually DD) then tries to fire it into coverage.

Watch the first quarter again and you'll notice guys open with Brett eyeballing one guy. And the protection was very solid, so he had time to make the correct read.

Sorry, watched the game again, and on the first three series, I saw noone open. Brett overthrew a WR on one play, but the receiver was not open by any means.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this, no one needs to waste their time replying. The lack of knowledge is evident.

I don't get why you try and shut down any discussion revolving around the GM on the Packers, and his decisions on players .

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="dhpackr

:rotflmao: look at his receiving core the last three years, put J-Walk on last years team , the Packers make the playoffs and we aint having this conversation.[/quote

Could you please get over this.

It takes a whole football team to win in this league and if you think a single "Javon Walker" addition is the sole ticket to success than you have sadly been kidding yourself.

We had this little matter of needing an offensive line that could block and some guys on defense that could tackle somebody. A backup player better than NFL Europe quality would have been a LUXURY to see on the roster.

Were getting closer. We will put the best defense we have had since winning the SB out there this year and contrary to what you may think it will take THAT before anything else good is going to happen around here.

In case you took '04 off we got our butts handed to us by an entry level playoff team at home and Humpty Dumpty nor Javon Walker was enough to put us back together by themselves at that point.

Our problems went far beyond that. I WISH all we were looking at was holding onto Walker to fix what we had ailing us.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the most interesting part of this articale was a sudden point. MM said "were going to have a good FG kicker" Bubba Crosby?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should Favre change?

The team around him is no longer an offensive 1st team. It's become a Defensive 1st team. Defense wins championships but defenses still need an offense with a QB who can manage the game and put points on the board. Favre can do that if he manages the game. He has never been a "game manager" in his career but with the current talent around him on offense, he cannot just throw it up and expect the big play to happen all the time. The Packers are doing something nice. The problems is Favre is going to be to old to experience these guys when they are at the peak of their career. To some Packer fans it's going to be bitter/sweet, if and when the Pack succeeds in the future. Though it should always be sweet but like mention, Brett Favre is God like in Green Bay.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
After this, no one needs to waste their time replying. The lack of knowledge is evident.

I don't get why you try and shut down any discussion revolving around the GM on the Packers, and his decisions on players .

Then why put the thread as why change brett?

I don't understand the topic I guess. Why not come in the open and make the thread Examining Ted Thompson's job. That's what you really wanted with this? Am I wrong? I don't think so.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="dhpackr]

:rotflmao: look at his receiving core the last three years, put J-Walk on last years team , the Packers make the playoffs and we aint having this conversation.[/quote]
Could you please get over this.

It takes a whole football team to win in this league and if you think a single "Javon Walker" addition is the sole ticket to success than you have sadly been kidding yourself.

We had this little matter of needing an offensive line that could block and some guys on defense that could tackle somebody. A backup player better than NFL Europe quality would have been a LUXURY to see on the roster.

Were getting closer. We will put the best defense we have had since winning the SB out there this year and contrary to what you may think it will take THAT before anything else good is going to happen around here.

In case you took '04 off we got our butts handed to us by an entry level playoff team at home and Humpty Dumpty nor Javon Walker was enough to put us back together by themselves at that point.

Our problems went far beyond that. I WISH all we were looking at was holding onto Walker to fix what we had ailing us.

For whatever reason, its forbidden to talk about our GM & the choices he has made concerning players on this forum. So after this response, no more about what we had. here you write about our offensive line, we "HAD" a great line in '03 and '04. All the Packers needed to do in '05 was build our defense. Yes, coming into '07 our defense will be the strength of the team, however, the offense looks very weak. We have NFL experience at QB & 1 WR, after that we have a bunch of college unknows, who didn't really perform at the college level, but yet fans feel they can take us back to a championship. I just feel we had some pieces to a NFL champion, they are now gone, and I feel the Packers made some mistakes letting some players out of GB.

Defense wins championships, no doubt, especially in GB, but we were much closer to a championship coming into the '04 season than we have now!

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:

I don't understand the topic I guess. Why not come in the open and make the thread Examining Ted Thompson's job. That's what you really wanted with this? Am I wrong? I don't think so.

First of all, I got people all upset over one of my posts, and how I attacked him, here I have a mod attacking me and my knowledge of the Packers. :rotflmao:
and yeah, you are wrong, I posted a thread about how disgruntled #4 is, and it has to do with the young cast around him, and I provided a link as well.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, do what you really intended to do, make a thread that says "I don't like the job Ted Thompson has done, and let me tell you why"

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For whatever reason, its forbidden to talk about our GM & the choices he has made concerning players on this forum.

Defense wins championships, no doubt, especially in GB, but we were much closer to a championship coming into the '04 season than we have now!

are you insane... THATS THE ONLY THING WE TALK ABOUT ON THIS FORUM... how could it be forbidden.

and we were as far from winning a championship in 04 as we are now. only now were younger, better defensively and growing on offense... id much rather have this than what we faced in 04.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:

First of all, I got people all upset over one of my posts, and how I attacked him, here I have a mod attacking me and my knowledge of the Packers. :rotflmao:
and yeah, you are wrong, I posted a thread about how disgruntled #4 is, and it has to do with the young cast around him, and I provided a link as well.

I hope you don't mean me but when you use the word "here" then I suppose you do. Where did I attack you of your knowledge? I simply posted my opinion on why Favre should change, as the topic title says.

Never quoted you either. I then quoted you on my 2nd post stating, you seem to of wanted to make this a Ted Thompson thread and not a Brett Favre thread. From your own words

Care to explain this pile of crap please. How exactly is #4 holding the Packers back from winning? When the GM lets a star WR, ALL PRO G, and a 1000 yard RB out of GB, and brings in a bunch of nobodies to replace them, sorry, but I point to management, not the QB.

Seems like this is very much about Ted Thompson as well. Why do people not want to talk about Ted Thompson? It's the same old crap. We want to win now for Brett Favre. We like TT's Drafts. The Future is bright. Favre won't be around long enough. This is the same stuff I heard last year. People are just worn out. At least I am.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, do what you really intended to do, make a thread that says "I don't like the job Ted Thompson has done, and let me tell you why"

and so what if i did? see, it is supposed to be a forum where people discuss ...........guess what, the Packers, and no what else, the GM is part of the Packers, but on this forum, about the Packers, it is forbidden for a fan of the team, to talk about his opinions, on the poor job the GM has done since coming to GB.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
For whatever reason, its forbidden to talk about our GM & the choices he has made concerning players on this forum.

are you insane... THATS THE ONLY THING WE TALK ABOUT ON THIS FORUM... how could it be forbidden.

and we were as far from winning a championship in 04 as we are now. only now were younger, better defensively and growing on offense... id much rather have this than what we faced in 04.

good for you, and thanks for the personal attack, and screaming at me. if you like this team more than what we had coming into the '04 season. I feel differently. And as far as my insanity, and how that's all that is talked about, I've had to mods come after me about my posts on the Packers GM. How crazy is that.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

and so what if i did? see, it is supposed to be a forum where people discuss ...........guess what, the Packers, and no what else, the GM is part of the Packers, but on this forum, about the Packers, it is forbidden for a fan of the team, to talk about his opinions, on the poor job the GM has done since coming to GB.

then make a separate thread for it, and don't try to be sneaky, making a thread about why brett should change(and you were told why) when your true intentions were to complain about the GM.

Go make your Ted Thompson Sucks thread now.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
tromadz said:

then make a separate thread for it, and don't try to be sneaky, making a thread about why brett should change(and you were told why) when your true intentions were to complain about the GM.

the thread, and the article revolve around brett talking about a young team that is years behind the championship teams, hate to break it to you kid, but that has something to do with the GM.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez......it was the first preseason game! Yeah.....we should get rid of Favre, he's our whole problem. I just don't understand that line of reasoning, (if you can call it reasoning).
If we go into the regular season, and he stinks up the place, then lets talk about getting rid of him. What i saw saturday was that no one got open for him. Thats the fact. I don't care WHO you are, if the guys don't get some seperation, they are not gonna complete passes. And the running game wasn't there at all yet.
So i guess i'm not a "Packer" fan, cause i don't think he'd done yet.
Even though i backed the team LONG before him, and will till i die.
If i thought he was truely washed up, i'd say to sit him. I don't see that yet though, so i say give him a shot.
Rodgers looked good, but he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I wonder how Brett would have carved them up had he been in there then?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
dhpackr said:
tromadz said:

the thread, and the article revolve around brett talking about a young team that is years behind the championship teams, hate to break it to you kid, but that has something to do with the GM.

Aww, he called me kid, isn't that cute. That must mean he's right, because he called me kid. He's been shown why he's wrong multiple times in this thread, but we're probably ALL 'kids' so what do we know. That's so very DePack of you. I love it.

I've never seen someone ***** so much after a win. Ridiculous. Football season is here, which means...this forum is going to be unbearable due to people like this.

"wahh, we didn't win by enough."
"wahh, Brett threw an interception. That's everyone's fault except his."
"Wah, we finally lost a game, I'm selling my season tickets."

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think this little rant covers it all... from both sides. Since the fire is going... here is another log.

A two sided rant

The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are seemingly at that Put Up and/or Shut Up intersection once again.

Honk, if you've been there once too often.

The perception?

The Packers need to Put Up, and improve the product.

Favre needs to Shut Up, and quit damning his plight.

This week has produced another installment of that popular Green Bay melodrama, "As the Favre Turns'' also known as "The Old (soon to be 38) and the Restless.''

Ted Thompson, the mule-headed GM, has not budged from his uninspiring rebuilding plan, while Mike McCarthy, the Ordinary Joe Coach, has continued to Wish Upon a Star.

Or former star, as the case may be with Favre.

McCarthy's wish?

That Favre would stop being Favre and buy into the game plan and morph into Trent Dilfer, or a facsimile.

Can you say Round Peg and Square Hole?

That the Odd Couple (Thompson and McCarthy) wants to go in one direction, and Favre in another, is not very fresh. Nor would it seem to be very productive at any level.

Favre needs to put down the scrap book and limit his yearning for the Way We Were and What Could have Been (if only the Pack would have signed Randy Moss).

By returning for another season in Green Bay, he summarily accepted this fate, which means he must play by their rules, for better or worse, 'til trade or retirement do thee part.

In turn, Thompson and McCarthy needs to acknowledge some needs. Not just Favre's needs, but offensive needs.

In sum, the Packers need better players, which, of course, is what Favre has been saying all along.

In fact, he said it again this week at his news conference.

Referencing, if not calling out the Undynamic Duo (Thompson and McCarthy), Favre said, "They know, as well as I do, what we're up against offensively.''

Yeah, a lack of skill players.

In the next breath, though, Favre reached a fundamental truth about his situation. "At some point,'' he reasoned, "I have to play the game.'' With or without help from above.

Honk, if you thought the Packers would reach a point in their "rebuilding'' process, where they would miss Tony Fisher?

Such is the dearth of backfield talent.

As a reliable third-down back, Fisher was fairly productive during his four-year run in Green Bay.

Last season was a disaster for Fisher who signed as an unrestricted free agent with the St. Louis Rams.

Fisher played in only eight games because of injuries, the most serious of which was a torn ACL.

That's serious.

Fisher, 27, tried catching on with the New York Jets but was released in late July. The Jets thought so little of Fisher, they replaced him with the unforgetable Tony Hollings.

Based on Green Bay's running back "depth" chart (an oxymoron), Fisher might be an upgrade. If nothing else, he's available and offers a warm body.

What about Corey Dillon?

What about Larry Johnson?

Pipe dreams.

And, if you go there, you'd be joining Favre.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this little rant covers it all... from both sides. Since the fire is going... here is another log.

A two sided rant

The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are seemingly at that Put Up and/or Shut Up intersection once again.

Honk, if you've been there once too often.

The perception?

The Packers need to Put Up, and improve the product.

Favre needs to Shut Up, and quit damning his plight.

This week has produced another installment of that popular Green Bay melodrama, "As the Favre Turns'' also known as "The Old (soon to be 38) and the Restless.''

Ted Thompson, the mule-headed GM, has not budged from his uninspiring rebuilding plan, while Mike McCarthy, the Ordinary Joe Coach, has continued to Wish Upon a Star.

Or former star, as the case may be with Favre.

McCarthy's wish?

That Favre would stop being Favre and buy into the game plan and morph into Trent Dilfer, or a facsimile.

Can you say Round Peg and Square Hole?

That the Odd Couple (Thompson and McCarthy) wants to go in one direction, and Favre in another, is not very fresh. Nor would it seem to be very productive at any level.

Favre needs to put down the scrap book and limit his yearning for the Way We Were and What Could have Been (if only the Pack would have signed Randy Moss).

By returning for another season in Green Bay, he summarily accepted this fate, which means he must play by their rules, for better or worse, 'til trade or retirement do thee part.

In turn, Thompson and McCarthy needs to acknowledge some needs. Not just Favre's needs, but offensive needs.

In sum, the Packers need better players, which, of course, is what Favre has been saying all along.

In fact, he said it again this week at his news conference.

Referencing, if not calling out the Undynamic Duo (Thompson and McCarthy), Favre said, "They know, as well as I do, what we're up against offensively.''

Yeah, a lack of skill players.

In the next breath, though, Favre reached a fundamental truth about his situation. "At some point,'' he reasoned, "I have to play the game.'' With or without help from above.

Honk, if you thought the Packers would reach a point in their "rebuilding'' process, where they would miss Tony Fisher?

Such is the dearth of backfield talent.

As a reliable third-down back, Fisher was fairly productive during his four-year run in Green Bay.

Last season was a disaster for Fisher who signed as an unrestricted free agent with the St. Louis Rams.

Fisher played in only eight games because of injuries, the most serious of which was a torn ACL.

That's serious.

Fisher, 27, tried catching on with the New York Jets but was released in late July. The Jets thought so little of Fisher, they replaced him with the unforgetable Tony Hollings.

Based on Green Bay's running back "depth" chart (an oxymoron), Fisher might be an upgrade. If nothing else, he's available and offers a warm body.

What about Corey Dillon?

What about Larry Johnson?

Pipe dreams.

And, if you go there, you'd be joining Favre.

Great post, who wrote it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.