Why Brett doesn't deserve to have his number retired

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a Packer fan over the age of 10 who doesn't understand that Favre had a great career with the Packers. There isn't a fan who doesn't understand he had some 'character flaws' in cheating on his wife; texting pictures of his junk; or wearing crocs.

So what's the problem?

The problem with him that many of us have is that he no longer supports the Packers. He wants the Packers to lose. He wants other teams to beat the Packers. That is the problem. He wanted the Packers to lose so much he spent 2 years, traveled through New York, just so he could play for the Vikings so that he could stick it to the Pack. Sounds like a guy who hates the Packers. You want to support a guy who wants the Packers to lose? That's your choice man - he's no different right now than Jay Cutler, or any bear or viking.

Oh, I see. You would like to recite his sins to us again because after sixteen years in Green Bay, turning on the Green Bay Packers is the greatest betrayal ever. Up there with Brutus. Judas even.

Alright- he's no different right now than Jay Cutler. Satisfied, Amish?

To equate that as (with) a simple character issue is shallow at best.

The real character issue I see around here is the obsession over Favre within the larger context of a children's game that is played for money. It strikes me as a bit warped (or "perverse" in its own way) that some can't let this go.

I'm not telling you that Favre's number should be retired. I'm telling you to get some perspective. We won a Superbowl without him. Move on.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The real character issue I see around here is the obsession over Favre within the larger context of a children's game that is played for money. It strikes me as a bit warped (or "perverse" in its own way) that some can't let this go.
That goes for you too, right jaybadger82? After all that was your 11th post on this thread (mine too). If you think this is warped or perverse why open the thread and even if you do, why post on it?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not telling you that Favre's number should be retired. I'm telling you to get some perspective. We won a Superbowl without him. Move on.
My point would be, if you choose to ridicule posters for their opinion, have the decency to either understand it of not to mischaracterize their view. Makes your last post a bit of 'compound' irony, at best.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That goes for you too, right jaybadger82? After all that was your 11th post on this thread (mine too). If you think this is warped or perverse why open the thread and even if you do, why post on it?

Let's make it a dozen. Although few of my comments in this thread have actually discussed the topic of Brett Favre (hell, about half my posts involved a middle eastern policy debate with Amish), I have "stirred the fire" and your criticism is valid as such. So this will be my last one. Regardless, my original observation in post #95 remains: I think there are folks here that are too emotionally-invested in this Favre thing. Speaking of which...

My point would be, if you choose to ridicule posters for their opinion, have the decency to either understand it of not to mischaracterize their view. Makes your last post a bit of 'compound' irony, at best.

Amish, I apologize if you felt ridiculed or if you felt your views were somehow mischaracterized. But I hope you can imagine how stale the bitterness toward Favre has become amongst the less fervid, who might have a hard time understanding such lasting antagonism from a fan base that has watched its team go on to thrive without #4 and win a Superbowl. We're better than this.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's make it a dozen. Although few of my comments in this thread have actually discussed the topic of Brett Favre (hell, about half my posts involved a middle eastern policy debate with Amish), I have "stirred the fire" and your criticism is valid as such. So this will be my last one. Regardless, my original observation in post #95 remains: I think there are folks here that are too emotionally-invested in this Favre thing. Speaking of which...

Amish, I apologize if you felt ridiculed or if you felt your views were somehow mischaracterized. But I hope you can imagine how stale the lasting bitterness toward Favre has become amongst the less fervid, who might have a hard time understanding such lasting antagonism from a fan base that has watched its team go on to thrive without #4 and win a Superbowl. We're better than this.
Common ground! We're both very tired of the topic.

But unfortunately, I think this one will be discussed well after even Rodgers retires.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m an English Packer fan. I know that I have no real right to comment but I`m going to anyway because I love this team in a way that EVEN I don`t quite understand. I`M reading stuff everyday which explains things more and more. Even as a Packer fan, I would have loved to see us sign Randy Moss, and yes, I remember the "Mooning" incident, which at the time I thought was fair as the abuse we were giving him, it was a human reaction, but that given, Brett Favre disrespected the organisation, the team, and most of all the loyal fans by his actions and comments through all of his "will I, won`t I ?" crap. It was all about him.....He showed he had no respect for the team, or the fans, and as such he does not deserve the respect of retiring his number and being remembered in the same way as Bart Starr (A true leader and gentleman), or any other of the Greats !!
Thats just my opinion, and I will never forgive the guy for the betrayal.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m an English Packer fan. I know that I have no real right to comment but I`m going to anyway because I love this team in a way that EVEN I don`t quite understand. I`M reading stuff everyday which explains things more and more. Even as a Packer fan, I would have loved to see us sign Randy Moss, and yes, I remember the "Mooning" incident, which at the time I thought was fair as the abuse we were giving him, it was a human reaction, but that given, Brett Favre disrespected the organisation, the team, and most of all the loyal fans by his actions and comments through all of his "will I, won`t I ?" crap. It was all about him.....He showed he had no respect for the team, or the fans, and as such he does not deserve the respect of retiring his number and being remembered in the same way as Bart Starr (A true leader and gentleman), or any other of the Greats !!
Thats just my opinion, and I will never forgive the guy for the betrayal.

You have as much right to comment on Any thread as the rest of us do. Don't ever think otherwise.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaybadger - As I said, if you are a person who deals in reality and your tolerance level was not exceeded, then I have no beef with you. I only react against those who trot out the shopworn narratives about how Favre saved the franchise and single handedly won Super Bowls and how the Packers were wreck without him. THEY (I will use capitals as I see fit) are the ones who are emotionally invested. Isn't a whole rapturous, triumphal ceremony that MUST BE enacted the very definition of emotional investment? One more ******** group hug for Favre Nuthuggers? I am perfectly content letting the past slip further into the past with no further discussions necessary.

And as for bringing up "old sins" everybody knows, it is quite obvious that many people decided to not pay attention (people who don't like to hear what they don't want to hear have a tendency to tune out the bad) to all that Favre did. Too many times the narrative begins and ends with "all Favre wanted to do was play and mean old Thompson and McCarthy didn't let him (because apparently they want to lose games and lose their jobs)". This must be the case because the standard three concept "The Packers sucked for 20 years before Favre came, Favre saved the team, Favre won us the Super Bowl" never seem to include any downside. Or if the even hint at it, it's the "waffling" that poor old Brett couldn't make up his mind because he loved the game so much. Not a mention of Greta, or other interviews with words of Favre's own mouth, or the convenient timing of decisions in 2008, the whole nine yards.

It stands that Favre spent SIX years tearing the Packers from the inside trying to be the de facto GM and from the outside with rivals. This is too much for me. If you indeed are fully aware of all that Favre did, and the context, and you don't have a problem, bully for you. I do, and many people do as well. The emotional investment is about the team, and Favre spent way too much time and effort damaging the team with a cross-stitched arrogance and ignorance. If Favre had been right about anything that he demanded, then maybe there'd be a ***** of light for his cause, but he put himself above the team over things he was dead nuts WRONG about to boot. And then he decides he's been wronged and tries his revenge thing. Arrogant, ignorant, and vengeful for six years. And for some odd reason I'm not brimming with honor for the guy. I guess I'm and odd duck if I don't want a guy who spent 30% of his career causing more harm than good for my team, regardless of what good (real or perceived) he did the other 70%, getting yet another reach around.

I understand the realpolitik of the thing and he'll have his day, but the question remains - as it will for quite some time - whether he DESERVES (see, I did it again) to be beatified, not whether he will. And where ever I see the pink sky/purple grass nuthuggers sprout up, I will give them a dose of reality, or at least those for whom the narrative is blurry and unfocused. And I will weather the ad hominem attacks and lack of real discussion of the facts because they're "old and exhausted". As has been pointed out, you have spent plenty of time and ENERGY here already, and yet you're exhausted when facts can be debated. Personal attacks, marginalizing your opponent's argument, and avoidance - the holy trinity of Favre nuthuggers.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Funny, this is almost like a political argument. Maybe we should ban religion, politics and Bernt Toast Interception Machine turned Anti-Packer player arguments as well.

Members online

Latest posts