Why Brett doesn't deserve to have his number retired

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre is one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game of football. The things he did with the Packers are incredible and it would be a shame if his number isn't retired.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a Favre fan until he went to MN. For those of you not wanting his number retired are you willing to give the SB trophy back that he & the team won? We(the Packers) can make money off his name. If I was worth 1 Billion Dollars I'd give $100M to the Packer org. to help. I'm not so we need to make extra $$$$$ where we can

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
We all know players and coaches talk to eachother to get info..

what people FAIL to understand through out all this is this.

He was a Packer, said he would be a Packer for life.

#1- Tells Detroit how to game plan on us (even if this isn't a huge deal to some, it is still relevant)
#2- Tells Peppers to BEAT THE PACKERS so they dont make the playoff game

some people believe that the Packers shouldnt honor him because of those two issues..
Packer fans need to get over the "He was a Packer, said he would be a Packer for life" crap. That ended when the team traded him to the Jets. Vince was a Packer for life until he went to the Redskins. Can you imagine if he had lived another 10 years and had taken the Skins to 4-5 Super Bowls? The Packers would have been just a stop for him. Teams retire number for what players do on the field not off. If you want to hold someone to a higher standard than the standard has to higher than "Well he was suspected of doing so and so". That is not a higher standard, it's a lower one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packer fans need to get over the "He was a Packer, said he would be a Packer for life" crap. That ended when the team traded him to the Jets. Vince was a Packer for life until he went to the Redskins. Can you imagine if he had lived another 10 years and had taken the Skins to 4-5 Super Bowls? The Packers would have been just a stop for him. Teams retire number for what players do on the field not off. If you want to hold someone to a higher standard than the standard has to higher than "Well he was suspected of doing so and so". That is not a higher standard, it's a lower one.

I would ask how it feels to have a SB winner trade sides, but.....well you know

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would ask how it feels to have a SB winner trade sides, but.....well you know
Really? Gotta go with a Super Bowl slam. Guess I am just realistic enough to know that in today's NFL there is no such thing as a "player for life". It's a business. Has been for years. Being a Packer is no more "honorable" than being a "Texan". It's not like a majority of players have a choice were they play.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Gotta go with a Super Bowl slam. Guess I am just realistic enough to know that in today's NFL there is no such thing as a "player for life". It's a business. Has been for years. Being a Packer is no more "honorable" than being a "Texan". It's not like a majority of players have a choice were they play.
I'm realistic as well & of course I'm biast but I'd say b/c of the Packers history I'd rather be a Packer than any other team. Herb Adderly won a SB w/the Packers. Went to the Cowboys & won another SB. He then made a comment that he will not wear the Cowboys SB ring. In order for the Texans to have the right to play in the NFL they had to pay $700MILLION. I believe Curly paid about $250.00. The last part was just some added info.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I truly hate Favre, I can't agree with this article. As an emotionally attached Pack fan, it crushed me to see my childhood hero take all of perceptions and take a dump on them, but it doesn't change a lot of things. It doesn't change the 200+ starts, the 420+ TDs, the dozens of wins, the 3 MVPs, the 2 SB births, or the Lombardi trohy. He's in a class in Packer history with only Bart Starr and Rodgers. He deserves to have his digit retired, as much as it pains me to admit it

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the issue and why they might not want to do it for a long time..Or I can see why they want to do it right away.
Just like when they traded him..I support their choice unless I really think it is stupid

Very rational view on things. This is how I view player transactions by TT. I trust him to do well and unless he reallllllly does something insane, I give him the benefit of the doubt. It's a nice stress free way to live.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, in anyones life, one mistake can define you.
I've already contacted your brother, father,etc. and explained that it would be a wonderful surprise if they bought you some great Favre memorabilia for your birthday (act surprised when you open the stuff, please). I think I let it slip to you last week that you're getting a Favre Fathead from me (Vikings variety).

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many slow script problems here....

Favre had many great moments during regular seasons.

Someone give me his greatest 5 games in the post-season.
Any buzzer-beaters?
Any games where he played better than the regular season?

We've seen him go the other way and play crappy, losing to bums like Culpepper and Vick, and lay eggs.
We've seen him become a chokey, interception machine in devastating losses to the Eagles, Giants, Saints... in the close Super Bowl loss he threw a bad interception, and then locked onto a covered Mark Chmura late to not come thrtu there as Eli and Brady and Montana always did.

We've seen him throw 6 Ints and 3 Pick-6's in a loss to the Rams, whom would later get upset by the Patriots.

I agree with the premise of this thread, and because I am usually sick of any talk of #4, I have avoided this thread til now (also, because the website keeps having some slow script problem, I usually have to exit).

After Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers are gone, then we can look at retiring #4. Until then, I'd love to see a kicker or punter wearing #4.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many slow script problems here....

Favre had many great moments during regular seasons.

Someone give me his greatest 5 games in the post-season.
Any buzzer-beaters?
Any games where he played better than the regular season?

We've seen him go the other way and play crappy, losing to bums like Culpepper and Vick, and lay eggs.
We've seen him become a chokey, interception machine in devastating losses to the Eagles, Giants, Saints... in the close Super Bowl loss he threw a bad interception, and then locked onto a covered Mark Chmura late to not come thrtu there as Eli and Brady and Montana always did.

We've seen him throw 6 Ints and 3 Pick-6's in a loss to the Rams, whom would later get upset by the Patriots.

I agree with the premise of this thread, and because I am usually sick of any talk of #4, I have avoided this thread til now (also, because the website keeps having some slow script problem, I usually have to exit).

After Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers are gone, then we can look at retiring #4. Until then, I'd love to see a kicker or punter wearing #4.
The Packers have already said they're going to retire Favre's # they just haven't said when.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The Packers are taking the high road. It should be done. They are retiring his number in recognition of his play on the field, they aren't retiring his name. I don't like any of the head case that was/is Favre, but you can't deny what he did for the team. He may have only won one lousy Super Bowl, but it was the first in almost 30 years and some teams are still waiting for their first SB victory.

I agree that it would be nice for Favre to do some hiney-kissing, but at least the organization can stay classy and retire his number as it should be done. Why continue acting like petty 5 year olds?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone explain the point of not retiring a number but taking it out of use?

I don't know about a point but it's kind of like a backhanded slap in the face if you really think about it. You get the number taken off but without the honor and recognition of it. It's like saying, we'll do this but you aren't getting milk, cookies and ice cream to go with it.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#4 will be retired whether we all like it or not... and it should be. It's the right thing to do. He was always such a little ***** when it comes to how he interacted and dealt with the organization, let's at least be the adult on this matter and do the right thing. Telling him that we are not going to retire his number is pretty childish considering all he's done (on the football field) for the organization. Retire the number, move on, be done with it.

We as Packer fans are pretty freakin blessed. We are discussing whether or not we should retire a QB's number when in all likelihood his successor will have his number retired in the future as well... Oh, how badly we have it lol...

jerryricefumbled

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The selfish attitude and me first agenda are often found in the best players. It could actually be argued it's a requirement to be a truly elite player. NEWS FLASH: Great players are often terrible people.

We should not be shocked to see a guy who came from nothing acting like a ******* after he was worshiped by fans for over a decade, given millions on top of millions of dollars and was one of the greatest players at his position. My guess is most average people would crack under the microscope that is the public eye. I don't excuse his bad behavior, but I've seen a lot worse.

• He was addicted to prescription drugs? Football is a violent game. I get it.
  • He was a terrible husband? I'm not sure I could do any better in his position.
  • He waffled on when to retire and chose to play for our arch rivals? I don't blame one of the most competitive players in any game, ever, one bit.
Most of the anti-Favre crowd is pissy he didn't go quietly into the night. He chose to keep playing and sure no one liked to see him in the passion-purple, beating our Packers in Lambeau but it happened. Yea it hurt to see it, but it sure was satisfying to see him throw the last second pick in the NFC Championship game against the Saints. Then we go out and win the superbowl? That's vindication, son. Let it go, we have Aaron Rodgers now. We won the break-up.

Really Favre did far more positive things for this team then he did to hurt it. Let's not forget all the millions of dollars he has raised for charity and I'm willing to bet more than a few bucks of that found it's way into the Green Bay community. It's time to #ForgiveFavre and bring the prodigal son home.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already contacted your brother, father,etc. and explained that it would be a wonderful surprise if they bought you some great Favre memorabilia for your birthday (act surprised when you open the stuff, please). I think I let it slip to you last week that you're getting a Favre Fathead from me (Vikings variety).

Funny thing is my estranged brother is a huge Favre fan. I guess traitors stick together ;)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I made a donation in your name for Scott walkers criminal defense for your birthday. We are some thoughtful friends

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Why is it that people continue to define his mistakes by his off the field issues as opposed to his on the field ones? Now if we are going to separate them how do you define disrespecting the most storied franchise in NFL history? Is that on the field or off? It's not in the game but it's about the game.
I for one would be horribly disappointed to see his number up there. Sorry Fabre fans, he doesn't epitomize the franchise or it's ideals. We were fans while he battled his addiction and were fans when he threw interceptions to cost us championships. I stopped being a fan when he turned his back on all that we gave him, all the organization gave him to root for and coach other teams to beat the Packers. Seriously can't get how anybody can hope his number is retired.
I'd puke if the Packers did it for monetary reasons. It's still Lambeau Field and not Miracle Whip or Kotex field and I hope that it remains until I find my way to the other side of the playing field. No one player ever made a championship team and Brent had some really, really good teams and some unbelievable coaches to make it multiple. He didn't!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicken or egg. I'd argue that Favre made everyone around him that much better. In fact for the skills positions, I don't think that anyone one except for Chmura was a Pro Bowl player had they played with a different, average QB.

Favre did epitomize the franchise and it's ideals. His vicodin addiction was a perfect example. He admitted that he had a problem, he and the fans dealt with it, and we all came out better in the end. THAT epitomizes the team and Packers community. DevilDon, when you fall off your high and mighty horse you might feel the same way. You can't pick and choose what you want to celebrate or condemn about the man...well, I guess that you are but that's just like all of the wonderful politicians.

Favre was a great player for this franchise. For 16 seasons Favre was the face of the franchise, set almost every record at his position, and set most of the major NFL records while a Packer. He had ups and downs personally but was almost unanimously loved by every Packers fan. Yes he had an ugly breakup at the end, and it's clear that you still can't handle that, but you can't wash away the 16 years of success with a couple months of ugly off-season. That's pretty shallow.

The Packers should retire his number. Feel free to write the Packers organization a letter and ask them to put an asterisk next to his number on the ring of honor in Lambeau.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it that people continue to define his mistakes by his off the field issues as opposed to his on the field ones? Now if we are going to separate them how do you define disrespecting the most storied franchise in NFL history? Is that on the field or off? It's not in the game but it's about the game.
I for one would be horribly disappointed to see his number up there. Sorry Fabre fans, he doesn't epitomize the franchise or it's ideals. We were fans while he battled his addiction and were fans when he threw interceptions to cost us championships. I stopped being a fan when he turned his back on all that we gave him, all the organization gave him to root for and coach other teams to beat the Packers. Seriously can't get how anybody can hope his number is retired.
I'd puke if the Packers did it for monetary reasons. It's still Lambeau Field and not Miracle Whip or Kotex field and I hope that it remains until I find my way to the other side of the playing field. No one player ever made a championship team and Brent had some really, really good teams and some unbelievable coaches to make it multiple. He didn't!
I can't speak for the org. but I personnally believe that part of the reason(not all)is for monetary purposes. Bretts not the first to turn his back on the Packers. Some of the absolute best Packers in the past of had problems off the field as well. Yet we retired their numbers that you've seen hanging up in Lambeau Field. Should we unretire them? Of course not!!! That would totally rediculous!!! Nobody's perfect and unless one of the 13,000+ owners of the Packers plans on giving the team a few hundred thousand dollars or a few million dollars to help them out I suggest the Packers do what they need to do to stay competitve. Hope your by a bathroom or trash can when you start puking.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had a buck for every MB of server storage space used to hold threads about BF, I could hang up the old butter churn. I have an idea.

How about we all write our thoughts about BF down in One thread and then just provide a link. NO RESPONSES. ONLY one post per person.

Brett was a fun player to watch. He never gave up on a play and you have to admire that. He was an inspirational player that made those around him better by motivation. Overall, I was very glad that he was a Packer and he helped bring back a SB to the Packers. He was never a great QB when it came to technique or smarts. Improvising? He was a genius. He was always to careless with the ball and I thought that if he played under control at times, the Packers would have accomplished a lot more. I loved his attitude. I thought he was a good ol boy and just loved to play the game. His early years he would lock on a WR and that was that. Good thing that WR was Sterling Sharpe and it generally worked out. When Brett became a FA, does anyone remember this? He traveled and visited other teams - nobody offered him a contract. He came back and signed with the Packers. I point this out to say that he was a marginal player the first few years.

After the SB years he became even more erratic. There were games were he appear to give up. His receivers were having to do more and more of the work as Brett would just zing the ball in the area and hope his receivers made a play. One of his best games ever, the Oakland game after his Dad passed - he played marginally. A bunch of those receptions could have easily been intercepted but his WRs made amazing plays for him. His playoff game vrs the Giants, he should have been yanked. He played poorly and his body language was such that I was sure he did not want to be there. The last INT appeared to be as if he could care less if it was picked or not.

Then the seperation came. We found out that Brett had his own locker room. That Brett was demanding that certain trades and/or player acquistions be made. He began threatening retirement if he didn't get his way. When he didn't get his way he demanded a trade and or to be cut. He stated that he wanted to play for the Vikings so he could 'stick it to Thompson'. In my view, Thompson, as the GM of the Packers was a part of the Packers. To stick it to him, you had to stick it to the Packers. You can't punch a guy in the face and say, 'no, I like you, its just your face I don't like and wanted to hurt.' From that moment on, my opinion of Brett changed 180. He was no longer a good ol boy who just loved to play the game, but became a spoiled vengeful *****. The rift had a devestating effect on Packer fans vrs Favre (former Packer fans). I hold Brett responsible - far more - than TT. Calling other teams and trying to help them beat the Packers only added to my opinion. Telling the Bears he hopes they beat the Packers was about what you can expect at this point. Playing the same retirement card with the Jets so he could get to the Vikings for the sole purpose of 'sticking it' to the Packers - well we all knew that was his goal anyway.

So there it is. He was a great Packer and I enjoyed watching him play. But, in the end, he stood against Packer Nation, and did all he could to 'stick it' to the Packers. Based on some of his comments, I think he felt he was bigger than the Packers and that all the fans would turn away from the Packers and to him. I'm not sure why any Packer fan would support him at this point, but to each their own. He gave us a lot of great years and was fun to watch, but in the end, he wasn't as devouted to the Packers as we thought. So enjoy the memories, but realize that he wasn't what we all thought. If I had to use analogy it would be this: Brett lived in the neighborhood and was a good friend of the family. Always a great guy and everyone in the family enjoyed his company and he was included him in all your family events. After a bunch of years, though, he starts to become iritable and demanding. Eventually he punches Uncle George, who everyone loves and respects, in the face. He goes to the city and tries to get your house condemned and torn because of some minor issue with a building permit/zoning matter. Thats it. DONE. No more invites to graduations, BBQs, picnics, weddings, BDay parties. Nothing. I don't give a **** how fun a guy is, family comes first.

Should his number be retired? Sure - but not by the Packers. Let the, in his words, 'best team' he ever played for, the Vikings, retire it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was a great player for this franchise. For 16 seasons Favre was the face of the franchise, set almost every record at his position, and set most of the major NFL records while a Packer. He had ups and downs personally but was almost unanimously loved by every Packers fan. Yes he had an ugly breakup at the end, and it's clear that you still can't handle that, but you can't wash away the 16 years of success with a couple months of ugly off-season. That's pretty shallow.
Its not a few months of ugly off-season. It was his attitude - what was in his heart. Benedict Arnold had a long and successful military career for America. Yet he is entirely defined by the last 2 weeks of his military career. The treachery. Is betraying your country the same as trying to stick it to your former team? Of course not. But it is a principle that reveals much. It was an absolute display of lack of respect for Packer fans and the Organization. Attempts to help to undermine the Packers is unforgivable. If you don't see it that way, fine. But understand, that is how I see it. I was here for the 1st Superbowl and the Packers are much bigger to me than Brett Favre - apparently Brett didn't feel that way.

Members online

Latest posts