Why are you packer fan? Tell us your story

Deke

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bit of NFL started being shown here in the UK somewhere around '81 or '82. A strange game that took a bit of getting used to.

My recollection is that the Packers were shown a couple of times early on and a few names started to become familiar : James Lofton and John Jefferson being particular stand-outs for me.

So I found myself checking the scores each week to see how the team I was becoming interested in was doing.

Then a friend lent me the Jerry Kramer book Instant Replay, and I was well and truly hooked. Add to that the amazing Monday Night Football game in 1983 when we beat the then Super Bowl champion Redskins by 48-47. That game was shown live and I was riveted to my seat!!

All the facts about the Packers that all of yo can quote so much better than me: number of NFL championships, owned by the fans, Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, the history. it all cemented the Packers deep deep within me.

Then a few years ago I achieved a long held ambition - a friend and I flew to Chicago, spent a few days driving round Wisconsin, and saw the Packers play the Vikings on a Monday night in Lambeau..... We lost, but I will never forget it. A truly treasured memory.

One day I will return....

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A bit of NFL started being shown here in the UK somewhere around '81 or '82. A strange game that took a bit of getting used to.

My recollection is that the Packers were shown a couple of times early on and a few names started to become familiar : James Lofton and John Jefferson being particular stand-outs for me.

So I found myself checking the scores each week to see how the team I was becoming interested in was doing.

Then a friend lent me the Jerry Kramer book Instant Replay, and I was well and truly hooked. Add to that the amazing Monday Night Football game in 1983 when we beat the then Super Bowl champion Redskins by 48-47. That game was shown live and I was riveted to my seat!!

All the facts about the Packers that all of yo can quote so much better than me: number of NFL championships, owned by the fans, Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, the history. it all cemented the Packers deep deep within me.

Then a few years ago I achieved a long held ambition - a friend and I flew to Chicago, spent a few days driving round Wisconsin, and saw the Packers play the Vikings on a Monday night in Lambeau..... We lost, but I will never forget it. A truly treasured memory.

One day I will return....

A wonderful story. You did everything correctly, And your recollections of things from 30 years ago are spot on. Lofton and Jefferson, the Monday night game against Washington (holy cow, did the game end at 5:00 am for you), I'm glad you had a friend give you "Instant Replay", if you have a chance to find a used copy at amazon books of Kramer's book "Distant Replay" (if only to find out how Brett Favre's mom had sex on the beach). Those two books tie the Bart Starr era and The Brett Farve era together perfectly. Thanks mate!

Americans like to brag we invented basketball and baseball, but the roots of American football lie in Rugby, we just tweaked
it a bit.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
STOP HERE PLEASE PACKER FANS
Please Packer fans, take the time to contribute to this thread. If you read the stories you will find at least one you Identify with. Give us your story and then you can pass it on to your children and grandchildren.It took me years to remember everything about my life and the intersections with the Packers and pass it on to my kids.
NO story is boring. And the accumulation of stories end up linking together. I want the compilation of stories to be one of the best things I have done in my life.

Thank you for posting and thank you for taking time to read the stories.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
A wonderful story. You did everything correctly, And your recollections of things from 30 years ago are spot on. Lofton and Jefferson, the Monday night game against Washington (holy cow, did the game end at 5:00 am for you), I'm glad you had a friend give you "Instant Replay", if you have a chance to find a used copy at amazon books of Kramer's book "Distant Replay" (if only to find out how Brett Favre's mom had sex on the beach). Those two books tie the Bart Starr era and The Brett Farve era together perfectly. Thanks mate!

Americans like to brag we invented basketball and baseball, but the roots of American football lie in Rugby, we just tweaked
it a bit.

My parents got me the book Instant Replay in paperback when I was young! I think I had read it something like 13 to 14 times by the time I was in 9th grade. I think I still have that old ragged copy in a box here somewhere.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose my story started back in the mid/late nineties, when my parents got me a Sega GameGear for my birthday (one of the greatest birthday gifts a kid could ask for!). I'm guessing it was my Dad who picked out NFL '95 as one of the game to include with it, but I doubt I will ever know how I got that game.

Needless to say, as a young Canadian kid who had never played or watched football or the NFL in his life (beyond schoolyard games of course), I figured I should pick 'my team'. I happened to decide to go with the "Green Bay Packers" because I liked their logo and their star player, Brett Favre, was one of the best in the game.

Before too long, me and the Packers were kicking *** and taking names, but I still was far from being a true Packer fan. It wouldn't be until I met one of my longtime best friends, Dan, in grade 6 that I would truly consider myself a Packer fan.

Dan was a huge Packer fan. He bought NFL Quarterback Club '98 for N64 and we would hang out at his house after school and play it. He would talk about how great Brett Favre and the Packers were, and perhaps as a means of strengthening our friendship, I got a lot more interested in the NFL and specifically the packers.

As I began to declare my love for Green Bay, Packer-related gifts became the standard gift for me every christmas and birthday, and I loved it. I can vividly recall when my Dad, who works as a dispatcher for a trucking company, talked a big rig driver driving through Wisconsin to pick me up a genuine Cheesehead from the Cheesehead Homeland. That was the year of Matt Hasselback's infamous "We Want The Ball and We're Gonna Score" comment, and Al Harris' INT TD had me running all around the house, with one hand holding my Cheesehead firmly on my head, just going bat-**** crazy.

That moment most definitely was THE moment where it was confirmed that I was going to be a Packer fan for the rest of my life. In the years since, I've greatly expanded my Packer collection, and I'm known for my intense passion for my teams: Green Bay Packers, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Philadelphia Flyers. I have slowly started converting the love of my life into a Cheesehead. Somehow, she was able to guess that I got her an Aaron Rodgers jersey for christmas and she just can't wait to get it! She also agreed that a trip to Lambeau Field for a game could be apart of our honeymoon trip! :happy0005: :giverose:

I've also managed to ALMOST become recognizable local celebrities at Winnipeg Blue Bomber games (CFL), as my girlfriend, her brother and I, all have Blue Cheeseheads, and are affectionately referred to as the Blue Cheese Crew. We really get a kick out of all the reactions we get at every game; from the cheers and thumbs up from Packer fans and folks who just think that the Cheeseheads are neat, to the Vikings and Bears fans who boo us and try to intimidate us.

All in all, my story isn't that incredible, but there's still more chapters to come!

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My parents got me the book Instant Replay in paperback when I was young! I think I had read it something like 13 to 14 times by the time I was in 9th grade. I think I still have that old ragged copy in a box here somewhere.

Croak, I hope you had the chance to read "Distant Replay" by the same authors. They fit together like a hand in a glove.

Thanks

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suppose my story started back in the mid/late nineties, when my parents got me a Sega GameGear for my birthday (one of the greatest birthday gifts a kid could ask for!). I'm guessing it was my Dad who picked out NFL '95 as one of the game to include with it, but I doubt I will ever know how I got that game.

Needless to say, as a young Canadian kid who had never played or watched football or the NFL in his life (beyond schoolyard games of course), I figured I should pick 'my team'. I happened to decide to go with the "Green Bay Packers" because I liked their logo and their star player, Brett Favre, was one of the best in the game.

Before too long, me and the Packers were kicking *** and taking names, but I still was far from being a true Packer fan. It wouldn't be until I met one of my longtime best friends, Dan, in grade 6 that I would truly consider myself a Packer fan.

Dan was a huge Packer fan. He bought NFL Quarterback Club '98 for N64 and we would hang out at his house after school and play it. He would talk about how great Brett Favre and the Packers were, and perhaps as a means of strengthening our friendship, I got a lot more interested in the NFL and specifically the packers.

As I began to declare my love for Green Bay, Packer-related gifts became the standard gift for me every christmas and birthday, and I loved it. I can vividly recall when my Dad, who works as a dispatcher for a trucking company, talked a big rig driver driving through Wisconsin to pick me up a genuine Cheesehead from the Cheesehead Homeland. That was the year of Matt Hasselback's infamous "We Want The Ball and We're Gonna Score" comment, and Al Harris' INT TD had me running all around the house, with one hand holding my Cheesehead firmly on my head, just going bat-**** crazy.

That moment most definitely was THE moment where it was confirmed that I was going to be a Packer fan for the rest of my life. In the years since, I've greatly expanded my Packer collection, and I'm known for my intense passion for my teams: Green Bay Packers, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Philadelphia Flyers. I have slowly started converting the love of my life into a Cheesehead. Somehow, she was able to guess that I got her an Aaron Rodgers jersey for christmas and she just can't wait to get it! She also agreed that a trip to Lambeau Field for a game could be apart of our honeymoon trip! :happy0005: :giverose:

I've also managed to ALMOST become recognizable local celebrities at Winnipeg Blue Bomber games (CFL), as my girlfriend, her brother and I, all have Blue Cheeseheads, and are affectionately referred to as the Blue Cheese Crew. We really get a kick out of all the reactions we get at every game; from the cheers and thumbs up from Packer fans and folks who just think that the Cheeseheads are neat, to the Vikings and Bears fans who boo us and try to intimidate us.

All in all, my story isn't that incredible, but there's still more chapters to come!

I just can't believe how good these stories are. Take yours for example. As I was reading it, I was taking notes., and I realizes that it would take a couple of paragraphs to give your story a proper response. I have to organize all these stories in some way, plus add my comments to each. This is my "Field of Dreams". Love it all. Thanks so much for posting.

felpasb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first visit to Packer Forum. I'm also from Brazil so now PackersRS won't be the only crazy Brazilian cheesehead you know!

I live in Curitiba, Brazil and my history with the Packers began in 2001 when I joined a foreign exchange program and went to USA to finish high school. I was randomly chose to live in a little Wisconsin town called ALMA, near Arcadia and Eau Claire. I had never heard of football before in my life, but at my first day at school I was asked to join the football team as a kicker since they were in the need and I used to play soccer in Brazil.

I made the varsity team and in 2 weeks I was completely amazed with football and of course the Packers, as the whole town were huge Packer fans.

Every sunday we had Packer parties to watch the games and my favorite one was the playoff game against the 49ers. From that day on till today, almost 10 years, I watched every single Packer game, every sunday, monday, thursday or whenever the Packers play. I buy NFL Game Pass every season to be able to watch the Packers every week since Brazilian TV only broadcasts SNF and MNF.

My room is pretty much Packer based with posters, flags, helmets and jerseys hanging around all over, and I try to convince all my Brazilian friends to like football and be Packers fans. I already got 3 new cheeseheads to the army so far this season, and we are not even that good.

My biggest goal in life is to watch the Packers play at Lambeau since i never got the chance, and I've promised myself when the Packers make it to the Super Bowl I'm flying from Brazil no matter how much money it'll cost me.

I loved this thread and read some great stories! This already made my day.

I love America, Love Wisconsin and Love my Green Bay Packers!

Reaction score
Well, I have a couple reasons as to why I selected the Packers to be my favorite team. The Green Bay Packers has always had the "small town" blue collar franchise label attached to it which makes it the legitimate team that should be referred to as "America's" team, not Dallas. And I could relate to that "small town" feel because I grew up during the '50's and '60's in a tiny town in west central Indiana just across the Wabash River from Terre Haute and only four miles from the Illinois state line which of course placed me in an area heavily populated with die hard Bear fans, but I refused to follow suit and support the Bears. In those days, football replica jerseys or even team name sweatshirts were non-existent, so a few of my childhood Bear worshipping buddies would arrive on the sandlots donning white sweatshirts with ********* magic marker numbers drawn on the front and back with orange striping on their sleeves {looked pretty good, too, so their Dad's may have done the art work, vbg}. A few kids had plastic helmets, as well, and again, my buddies this time had no alternative other than to resort to painting the entire helmet black {and that didn't look so good}. But as a result, their goal was achieved because there were enough #9's {Billy Wade}, #28's {Willie Gallimore} and #35's {Rick Casares} to represent. There were also a couple of kids who idolized Johnny Unitas and broke out the blue magic marker to display the #19 with a futile attempt at drawing on the horseshoe representing the "then" Baltimore Colts. So, when I proudly trotted out wearing the green and yellow trimmed number "5," everyone knew WHO I was "supposed" to be and WHAT team I "played" for, however, I still got NO respect! LOL. I was the ONLY Packer fan in our neighborhood, yet, I was smart enough to not drink of the Bear "kool aid!" Those were some great memories and they got even better during the seasons of '66 and '67 "IF" you were that ONLY Packer fan, as was I, so I remember getting those last back to back laughs. But my most memorable primary reason for becoming a Packer fan was attributed to my Dad. He was a huge Green Bay fan, so out of respect for him and always believing that he could do NO wrong and his choices, therefore, would be the correct ones to follow, like Father, like Son, I too, became a loyal fan at the age of 9 which happened to be "52" years ago. My Dad passed away when I was a junior in high school in April, 1966 and of course, never got to see his beloved Packers win the very first Super Bowl. I miss him dearly, especially during this Holiday Season. If he were alive, in a couple of days he would have been celebrating his 99th birthday and I know if it was at all possible for him to watch his Packers play, he would be doing so. God bless you, Dad, and thanks for inspiring me to be a Green Bay Packer fan.

Latest posts