Why are you packer fan? Tell us your story

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I became a Packers Fan when i saw them play the 49ers in the 2001 playoffs. I remember it vividly. I was 11 and my dad was/is a big brett favre fan and was watching it on tv. The only game i had saw prior to this one was them play the jets and lose. The way they beat the 49ers 25-21 was so exciting that i couldnt help but fall in love. But from then on everytime they went into the playoffs i dreaded watching them and favre blow it. That rams game where favre threw 6 picks nearly killed me.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mine is kind of a stranger one.

I was born in Lexington, KY but moved to Richmond, VA before I even turned one. I lived there for 8 years then moved to Rochester, NY. My next door neighbors in Rochester became my best friends growing up. I spent a lot of time over at their house because their parents were very lenient, and were almost never around, so we got away with most anything.

My dad used to watch football, but he was never really very partial to any team, just enjoyed the game for what it was. If anything, he was a Bears fan, because he grew up in Gary, IN. He was really only passionate about one thing sports-wise, and that was the Michigan Wolverines football team, his alma mater. So, I grew up loving the Wolverines.

My neighbors, who were big Wisconsin fans because their dad played Badger football, also liked the Wolverines and I would alternate watching Michigan games at my house with my dad and at their house. Being Wisconsin fans, they were also HUGE Packer fans. Every Sunday I can remember, we used to find ways to watch the Packer games from their basement. I would steal the one cheese hat they had and wear it while cheering on the green and gold. This all was during the Favre tenure in GB, and I loved watching the guy play. I can thank him for my love of the Packers. I have many memories of going over there in my Favre jersey, watching the game with the cheese on my head, and tossing the football around during any downtime, pretending I was the big #4 himself.

Anyways, kind of a confusing story, and I still don't fully understand why I'm a GB fan and not a CHI fan (probably the team's colors, haha), but I am, and that's all that matters.

Team colors are a rational reason for picking a favorite team ...or did I just make that up. Yours is another heartwarming story that I will include in a collection of stories like yours. Thanks for the story.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I became a Packers Fan when i saw them play the 49ers in the 2001 playoffs. I remember it vividly. I was 11 and my dad was/is a big brett favre fan and was watching it on tv. The only game i had saw prior to this one was them play the jets and lose. The way they beat the 49ers 25-21 was so exciting that i couldnt help but fall in love. But from then on everytime they went into the playoffs i dreaded watching them and favre blow it. That rams game where favre threw 6 picks nearly killed me.

Sometimes when everything goes wrong for your team, just sit back an laugh. After Favre threw 6 picks against the Rams, he was asked how he could throw 6 picks. He replied, "well if we hadn't run out of time, I could have thrown more."

Thanks for another fan's memories to put in my collection.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Well let's see I was born and raised in good ole' green bay and since day one of my birth I was going to be a packer fan. You know how your nursey is either blue or pink? Well mine was not mine was green and gold because my dad was just a crazy man, hell he named me beau because Bo Jackson won the heisman the year I was born. So since day one I was wearing green and gold and had a football in my hand 24-7.

When I was younger my dad (who is old) would always tell me about the old school packers and his most prided thing to share was the pictures that he took when he was at the icebowl, he also loved to say back then we got to bring our own beer in the game but once you poped that top off the beer can she was pretty much instantly froze

Now when I got older my grandfather had tickets and always gave me the preseason (I was like 7-9 so I thought it was cool anyway. When I turned 11 I went to my very first important game and that was the 96 NFC championship game vs the panthers. I still remember that game like it was yesterday.

One other thing back in the 2007 season I got to experience what my dad had told me about the ice bowl except this time it was vs the giants and we lost, but my favorite memory from that game was tailgating 6 hours before the game and have to put our beer and booze on grills to keep them from freezing!! How many other fans from diff teams could handle that cold??

As a different thread stated Damn it feels good to be a Packer (fan)

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eff it ill give it a shot.. im 21 and i was born and raised in new jersey.. i remember the exact date i became a packer fan and its kinda a dumb story.. i was 8 years old and it was my dads wedding, till this point i was prolly a giants fan.. i went into a bar they had at the reception just wandering around the place because it was beautiful, and there it was, 98 superbowl, PACKERS VS BRONCOS, right up on the big screen.. my favorite color is and was green and when i saw their uniforms and found out that green was in their name, there was no turning back for me.. been a packer ever since!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
eff it ill give it a shot.. im 21 and i was born and raised in new jersey.. i remember the exact date i became a packer fan and its kinda a dumb story.. i was 8 years old and it was my dads wedding, till this point i was prolly a giants fan.. i went into a bar they had at the reception just wandering around the place because it was beautiful, and there it was, 98 superbowl, PACKERS VS BRONCOS, right up on the big screen.. my favorite color is and was green and when i saw their uniforms and found out that green was in their name, there was no turning back for me.. been a packer ever since!

I like that! There are no dumb stories! You'd be surprised to know how many people follow a sports team because they like the colors! You picked the right "green" too! You could of landed up with Eagles green! Packers green is just so much better! ;)

Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wes (Wood Chipper) said to me... Brittany if this gonna work you will need to at least pretend to like the Packers and support them because i will talk about them a lot between sep. and feb. But when i became a true fan is when i saw them lay a butt whoopin on Favre and the Vikings 28-24 this season.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well let's see I was born and raised in good ole' green bay and since day one of my birth I was going to be a packer fan. You know how your nursey is either blue or pink? Well mine was not mine was green and gold because my dad was just a crazy man, hell he named me beau because Bo Jackson won the heisman the year I was born. So since day one I was wearing green and gold and had a football in my hand 24-7.

When I was younger my dad (who is old) would always tell me about the old school packers and his most prided thing to share was the pictures that he took when he was at the icebowl, he also loved to say back then we got to bring our own beer in the game but once you poped that top off the beer can she was pretty much instantly froze

Now when I got older my grandfather had tickets and always gave me the preseason (I was like 7-9 so I thought it was cool anyway. When I turned 11 I went to my very first important game and that was the 96 NFC championship game vs the panthers. I still remember that game like it was yesterday.

One other thing back in the 2007 season I got to experience what my dad had told me about the ice bowl except this time it was vs the giants and we lost, but my favorite memory from that game was tailgating 6 hours before the game and have to put our beer and booze on grills to keep them from freezing!! How many other fans from diff teams could handle that cold??

As a different thread stated Damn it feels good to be a Packer (fan)

Great. I had forgotten that there were two ice bowls, against the Cowboys and against the Giants. And booze is a great anti-freeze. Or maybe I made that up. At the rate things are going I will end up with maybe 40 stories like yours. I am dedicated to make them into a booklet that you can pass on to your kids or grand children.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Growing up in NY I have a family that are fans of a lot of different teams. My mom's side of the family is from Boston, so they all love the Red Sox and Patriots. My dad's side, all love the Giants. My dad? Loves the Cowboys.. no idea why. Me? well, we all know I'm for the Packers.

I can't really remember the first reason why I became a fan but my earliest memories are the first game I saw was the 49ers and Packers, and fell in love with football. That Christmas I got a checker set that had Packer helmets and 9er helmets as the pieces. I always played as Green Bay, so my commitment grew from there. Naturally I was pretty young, so as I grew up I started liking specific players like Reggie, Favre, Freeman etc.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Growing up in NY I have a family that are fans of a lot of different teams. My mom's side of the family is from Boston, so they all love the Red Sox and Patriots. My dad's side, all love the Giants. My dad? Loves the Cowboys.. no idea why. Me? well, we all know I'm for the Packers.

I can't really remember the first reason why I became a fan but my earliest memories are the first game I saw was the 49ers and Packers, and fell in love with football. That Christmas I got a checker set that had Packer helmets and 9er helmets as the pieces. I always played as Green Bay, so my commitment grew from there. Naturally I was pretty young, so as I grew up I started liking specific players like Reggie, Favre, Freeman etc.

These are the kind of stories that I and others love. Your family is all moving in different directions and you decide on your own, based on the fact that you liked Packer helmets colors. You can move up to chess with the pieces colored as diffrenet teams. Thanks for your story.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I was born and rained in western North Carolina but since I was 7(I'm now 19) I have been a die-hard Green Bay fan. The first time I fell in love with the Pack was Super Bowl XXXII. My family consists of Panthers, 49ers, and Steelers fans, so everyone around here can't understand why I'm a Packers fan lol. I'm not sure if it was because everyone I knew was wanting Elway to get his ring and I wanted to be different, or because I loved how #4 presented himself, but for some reason or another I fell in love. I go watch the Packers every time they come to Charlotte or Atlanta and I pray for the day that I can actually walk into Lambeau. I remember the last time I actually cried about sports was when Vick came into Green Bay and beat us... pathetic, yet true. That was one of the low points in my time as a Packers fan. I collect all sorts of Packers memorabilia including hats, jerseys, autographs, etc. The Packers are normally the reason why I am in a great/awful mood and without them, life wouldn't b e the same. Go Pack Go!

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wes (Wood Chipper) said to me... Brittany if this gonna work you will need to at least pretend to like the Packers and support them because i will talk about them a lot between sep. and feb. But when i became a true fan is when i saw them lay a butt whoopin on Favre and the Vikings 28-24 this season.

There are a 100,000 different reasons for becoming a fan of a team. Laying a butt woooping on someone makes sense to me.
Thanks for your story. Say hi to the Wood Chipper for me.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grew up in Central IL, so everyone around me was Bears fans...

Luckily for me my Dad is from Racine, WI and grew up a Packer fan during the golden years with Lombardi, Starr, Hornung, etc... Well, I'm 26 right now and started really actually watching football at the good ole age of 12. Some quick math on that and that's 1996. So as my interest in football was budding, it was the golden Brett Favre era in Green Bay and the year we won the Super Bowl. Ever since then it's just been stuck, I'm a Packer fan, til the day I die.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have moved this thread back to the original forum. Green_Bay_Packers was doing exactly what we told him to do. So if you need/want to point the finger at someone for what he did, you can point the finger at me.
LOL! I wondered why this thread got moved...I'll be the first to point a finger...but NOT at you...at Reggie when we win the SB THIS YEAR!

I'm a basic newbie around here, and I like how things were handled (behind the scenes). Great Forum!

Note to GreenGoldAngel...edit the thread title...it's a little confusing.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was born and rained in western North Carolina but since I was 7(I'm now 19) I have been a die-hard Green Bay fan. The first time I fell in love with the Pack was Super Bowl XXXII. My family consists of Panthers, 49ers, and Steelers fans, so everyone around here can't understand why I'm a Packers fan lol. I'm not sure if it was because everyone I knew was wanting Elway to get his ring and I wanted to be different, or because I loved how #4 presented himself, but for some reason or another I fell in love. I go watch the Packers every time they come to Charlotte or Atlanta and I pray for the day that I can actually walk into Lambeau. I remember the last time I actually cried about sports was when Vick came into Green Bay and beat us... pathetic, yet true. That was one of the low points in my time as a Packers fan. I collect all sorts of Packers memorabilia including hats, jerseys, autographs, etc. The Packers are normally the reason why I am in a great/awful mood and without them, life wouldn't b e the same. Go Pack Go!

Son,you have described my feelings at age 12 thru 17. When the packers would lose, I would lock myself in my bedroom for hours...wouldn't talk to anyone. I entered the military at age age 18 and I couldn't do that anymore. You expressed your true feelings. Your story will be in my little book or whatever I print if I get enough stories.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
LOL! I wondered why this thread got moved...I'll be the first to point a finger...but NOT at you...at Reggie when we win the SB THIS YEAR!

I'm a basic newbie around here, and I like how things were handled (behind the scenes). Great Forum!

Note to GreenGoldAngel...edit the thread title...it's a little confusing.

Thanks, I will gladly edit the thread title...I just made it up without much thinking, Got any Ideas?

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id like to be a part of this post so i will tell me not so exciting story aha, anyhow Im from los Angeles, CA. Ive been a packer fan for MANY years Im 21 now I remember the first game I ever watched was I BELIEVE a playoff game against the 49ers and for some reason i just honestly had a instant attraction to the team, the uniforms the way everyone was rooting for the 49ers and I didnt want too ahahah, remember im from CA. So yeah as the years progressed I watched more and more games, learned the history, players, coaches and so on. Was a big fan of Antonio Freeman as well as Ahman Green. So thats my story of how i became a packer fan until this day. Now that im 21 I get into all kinds of arguments and what now but always hold my teams down, people as ''Why are you a packer fan?" and i just tell em' i grew up a packer and thats just what it is. Thanks for reading. Nice post BTW.

Wow dude that is basically my story in a nut shell. I've lived in many states and I've been a Packer fan since I watched the 1998 wild card game. IDK y but I just attached to the Packers.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mine is kind of a stranger one.

I was born in Lexington, KY but moved to Richmond, VA before I even turned one. I lived there for 8 years then moved to Rochester, NY. My next door neighbors in Rochester became my best friends growing up. I spent a lot of time over at their house because their parents were very lenient, and were almost never around, so we got away with most anything.

My dad used to watch football, but he was never really very partial to any team, just enjoyed the game for what it was. If anything, he was a Bears fan, because he grew up in Gary, IN. He was really only passionate about one thing sports-wise, and that was the Michigan Wolverines football team, his alma mater. So, I grew up loving the Wolverines.

My neighbors, who were big Wisconsin fans because their dad played Badger football, also liked the Wolverines and I would alternate watching Michigan games at my house with my dad and at their house. Being Wisconsin fans, they were also HUGE Packer fans. Every Sunday I can remember, we used to find ways to watch the Packer games from their basement. I would steal the one cheese hat they had and wear it while cheering on the green and gold. This all was during the Favre tenure in GB, and I loved watching the guy play. I can thank him for my love of the Packers. I have many memories of going over there in my Favre jersey, watching the game with the cheese on my head, and tossing the football around during any downtime, pretending I was the big #4 himself.

Anyways, kind of a confusing story, and I still don't fully understand why I'm a GB fan and not a CHI fan (probably the team's colors, haha), but I am, and that's all that matters.

I think because I got involved in an administrative argument about the proper forum this thread should be posted in, I didn't post a reply to you. Loved your personal story and that what everyone is giving me...their personal story. I have read polls over many years and the Packer uniform is almost ranked in the top 3. so I am not surprised when someone picks the Packers because the have the coolest uniforms in the NFL.
Thanks for your story.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Growing up in Oklahoma, in pre-cable days, you basically had two choices if you liked the NFL, you watched the Kansas City Chiefs, or the Dallas Cowboys. My household was a Dallas Cowboys zone. My father and older brother are still Cowboys fans today. I, however, chose a different path that started on January 16, 1994 during the NFC Divisional Playoff game.

Cowboys vs Packers. I watched that game with every intention of rooting on the Cowboys to win and make yet another trip to the Superbowl. But something happened. It was as though I was watching the game through someone else's eyes. The Cowboys got off to an early lead, getting some "Dallas Officiating", (calls going only their way), while the Packers took it in stride and just seemed to play harder and with greater intensity.

A few trick plays by Dallas followed by shear determination and more heart then I had ever seen by a professional football team, and I knew. I just fell in lovewith a football team! I've been hooked ever since!

Now my obsession has led me to writing about the Packers during most of my free time.. and I FINALLY got to make that ever important journey to Lambeau field for game, which was magical and life-changing!

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Makes sense to me. Many people in this country do not have an NFL team in their state, so how do they decide on a team to follow? A lot of the time it is the cool looking uniforms which the Packers have in spades. Thanks for your story.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Grew up in Central IL, so everyone around me was Bears fans...

Luckily for me my Dad is from Racine, WI and grew up a Packer fan during the golden years with Lombardi, Starr, Hornung, etc... Well, I'm 26 right now and started really actually watching football at the good ole age of 12. Some quick math on that and that's 1996. So as my interest in football was budding, it was the golden Brett Favre era in Green Bay and the year we won the Super Bowl. Ever since then it's just been stuck, I'm a Packer fan, til the day I die.

I met a young man in a supermarket the other day and he saw I was wearing a Packer jersey. He says, " Hi I'm from Ray-cine."
And I ask where is that?
"Man, Ray-cine, Wisconsin, I'm a Packer fan."
I thought is pronounced ra-cine. But what do I know.

Hope you are around when they win their next super bowl. The last one the bars stayed open all night. I left at 8;00 am and they where still open.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already told how I became a Packers fan before somewhere in this site, but here it goes again.

The NFL started broadcasting to Brazil in the early 90's, don't remember exactly when, but I had some interest in it. Thing is, I discovered then that my father had been an exchange student in Racine, WI, in the late 60's. He didn't have that much interest in Football, he has always been an avid soccer fan (so am I), and the sport he had most interest in the US was Hockey.

But, living in Wisconsin in the late 60's, it was impossible not to at least recognize the Packers. I still have a Packers jacket that he brought back then.

So when I became interested in football, I had that connection, plus the fact that they were good in the early 90's (so was my soocer team), and also that they're a publicly owned team, like Brasil's soccer teams, had a saying in which team I chose to root for.

That's pretty much it.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Growing up in Oklahoma, in pre-cable days, you basically had two choices if you liked the NFL, you watched the Kansas City Chiefs, or the Dallas Cowboys. My household was a Dallas Cowboys zone. My father and older brother are still Cowboys fans today. I, however, chose a different path that started on January 16, 1994 during the NFC Divisional Playoff game.

Cowboys vs Packers. I watched that game with every intention of rooting on the Cowboys to win and make yet another trip to the Superbowl. But something happened. It was as though I was watching the game through someone else's eyes. The Cowboys got off to an early lead, getting some "Dallas Officiating", (calls going only their way), while the Packers took it in stride and just seemed to play harder and with greater intensity.

A few trick plays by Dallas followed by shear determination and more heart then I had ever seen by a professional football team, and I knew. I just fell in lovewith a football team! I've been hooked ever since!

Now my obsession has led me to writing about the Packers during most of my free time.. and I FINALLY got to make that ever important journey to Lambeau field for game, which was magical and life-changing!

Thank you for your post. Tulsa is a beautiful city but Oklahoma city is nothing but red dirt and trailer homes...hope that did not offended you. Anyway, I am biased because my dad grew up in Tulsa. Is there something weird in Oklahoma, I was on a business trip and stayed at a hotel on a reservoir, near Norman on the 4th of July. They put on a very nice fireworks display except for setting all the surrounding woods on fire.

Packer fans are crazy (OK, I am crazy). A company I worked for for 15 years went out of business (I was the financial controller and told them to), so I am out of a job, my wife is pregnant, there was no cable back then, so I buy and build a 10 foot diameter satellite dish (and I did even though they gave me the wrong blueprints), can't miss a Packer game in Nor Cal.

Now the interesting part of your story. You were watching a Cowboy=Packer game, rooting for the Cowboys and you somehow got possessed into rooting for the Packers? Well God works in mysterious ways.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've already told how I became a Packers fan before somewhere in this site, but here it goes again.

The NFL started broadcasting to Brazil in the early 90's, don't remember exactly when, but I had some interest in it. Thing is, I discovered then that my father had been an exchange student in Racine, WI, in the late 60's. He didn't have that much interest in Football, he has always been an avid soccer fan (so am I), and the sport he had most interest in the US was Hockey.

But, living in Wisconsin in the late 60's, it was impossible not to at least recognize the Packers. I still have a Packers jacket that he brought back then.

So when I became interested in football, I had that connection, plus the fact that they were good in the early 90's (so was my soocer team), and also that they're a publicly owned team, like Brasil's soccer teams, had a saying in which team I chose to root for.

That's pretty much it.

No that's not pretty much it. It's a great story. Ever since I joined this forum, I've been thinking, why in the heck is someone in Brazil a Packer fan. Now I know and can sleep well at night.
Thanks for sharing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts