Why Are You A Packer Fan?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are a Raider Fan then …. Why are you a Packer Fan also?

This was a question asked of me tonight night in a “Lodo” sports bar in Denver, Colorado

I retorted by asking…. Why are you a fan of any thing? Think of that for a moment. Why are we a fan of anything?

I think we all become fans or followers of anything that inspires us. I told this young man that the Raiders once gave me inspiration and that will never go away. I told him that it is possible to have two favorite teams because the N.F.L. is made up of two different leagues.

I could go on and on about the Raiders, who I still love and always will. I could go on and on about the “Ghost to the Post.” The Holy Roller, Kenny the original “SNAKE”, Jim Plunkett, Ted “kick Em in the head” Hendricks, Allen’s run in the Super Bowl that broke the game open.

The question I have here for the forum is this. It is a simple question.

What are the TOP FIVE reasons you are a Packer fan.

There are many people here on this forum that did not grow up in Green Bay. There are Packer fans from Toronto, to Winnipeg, to B.C. and all across Canada. There is Packer fans from California, from Arizona, from Minnesota and Chicago, there are Packer fans from Tampa and from Europe.

Here are my TOP FIVE REASONS I am a fan of the PACKERS.

1. Vince. The man was an inspiration and he is one of my hero’s and mentors in the power of thinking and mentorship. Reading Vince introduced me to the Packers.

2. The history of the Packers. The legacy! Say no more!

3. Ownership. How can one not CHEER for a team owned by a small community and not a George Stienbrenner from New York.

4. Their Fans. I have never met “IN PERSON” an obnoxious Packer fan. Packer fans in person are loyal and polite. I was in Kansas City once when the Vikes came to town and so did their fans. It amazed me how obnoxious a high percentage of them were. It also amazes me how obnoxious Raider Fans can be on game day in San Diego so I am not being holy here, but honest.

5. Brett. Just because he is Brett.

I would love to hear your “Top Five Reasons You Are A Packer Fan”

Just becuase.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Family
2. Battle of the Bays RIP (The packers and Bucs are my teams)
3. Watching Favre's comebacks and antics.
4. Small town vibe.
5. Vince

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride,

You ask a very simple yet interesting question. I only wish I had not read your answers as they resemble my answers (for the most part). I can't remember the exact year I became a fan of the Pack nor can I remember in exact order the many different things that I found unique and inspiring about the Packers and Green Bay.

Being from Winnipeg,MB, Canada where our Blue Bombers play in a similar (but I believe colder) climate, probably made the Packers a very easy transition into this NFL team for me however it would be things like, those below, in no specific order after number #1, that made me a fan:

#1 The small town Ownership (Green Bay is the Packers). This city is not like many other cities with an abundance of professional sports, it is a city that seems to live and breathe the game of football like no other city possibly could. This is just my opinion but I believe a valid one and could expand but this post would be too long.

#2 The rich tradition of winning that goes back to all the Championships The Packers won well before and after I was born.

#3 Vince Lombardi who is a legend in my mind as well as many others. His quotes will be used long after we have passed away and I encourage anyone who is unfamiliar with Mr Lombardi to check out this site for info:

http://www.vincelombardi.com/

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

#4 Brett Favre whom I could go on and on about however, his 229 consecutive starts combined with the 2003 Oakland Raiders performance the day after his father passed away is something that I feel puts him up there with Vince in this great Packer tradition that continues to grow.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

From the Green Bays Ownership to the Championships and from Vince Lombardi to Brett Favre. How could I not love this great Team and City :packbeer: Thank You Green Bay !!!

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Born in WI but grew up in KY as a Bengals fan. Moved back to WI in late 1983 at the same time that Forrest Gregg moved from Cincy to GB. Had to watch to see if he could build the same kind of team that he had there.

2. Watching the Pack through the 80s showed a lot about Packer fans. Like Cub fans and golden retreivers, they are loyal no matter what may happen.

3. Went to college in Chicago in the late 80s. No better way to get under the skin of a 1980s Bears fan than for the Pack to win (or even come close) to beating da Bears. (Amazing the points they would give betting on Bear/Packer games. Had one that was arrogant enough to give me 28 points.)

4. Went to my first Packer game in Milwaukee (Majik's first start -- against Denver). From that time until now, the Packers have been the most exciting team to watch -- win or lose, they ALMOST always seem to have a chance in the 4th quarter.

5. Brett -- what can you say about him. He has extraordinary talent and a drive to win. But, unlike the TO and a lot of the others who think they are God's gift to the world just because they can play a game, Brett is no different than the guy next door. He has the same problems as we do. On any other team or in any other city, I do not think that Brett would still be playing. Brett and Green Bay are a perfect match. So, maybe in a way, Brett IS God's gift -- to Green Bay.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Love the team
2. love the colors green and gold
3. Love the enthusiastic fans--however, not the ones who hop off and on the band wagon
4. love Brett Favre
5. love Green Bay

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. my dad was a fan.
2. lombardi.
3. small town atmosphere.
4. their ownership.
5. i always love an underdog (see cubbies) & they were underdogs for YEARS before the favre era.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. my dad was a fan.
2. lombardi.
3. small town atmosphere.
4. their ownership.
5. i always love an underdog (see cubbies) & they were underdogs for YEARS before the favre era.
1. i didnt like the bears and in chicago every one hated them.
2. favre
3.histroy

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAVRE

I grew up in Mississippi and always followed Southern Miss. I was in the stands in Hattiesburg Ms. when a 17 year old freshman came off the bench in the second half to rally USM past Tulane with 2 second half TD passes. I saw Favre play in person over 20 times in college.

When I heard on the radio that Favre was traded to the Green Bay Packers
I said to myself " Well, I guess I'm a Packer fan now."

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How I became a Packers Fan:

1). Brett Favre: He just makes every football game exciting to watch and with him at the helm there is always a chance to win. Hes a down to earth man, you never see him in a ritzy car or wearing ritzy clothes, hes a person just like you or I. He is a special QB with special talents, that man is as tough as they come, with all his starts and injuries hes still there for the team. I cant say enough great stuff about him.

2). I used to live 3 hours south of Green Bay: I will always be proud that I was born and raised in the state of WI, even though now I live in Southern California with the "good" weather. Still nothings beats the people of WI.

3). The city of Green Bay: Its small town values, this place is Packer country, with its streets named after Favre, Holmgren, and with statues outside of the stadium of Lombardi...

4). The stadium: I was so impressed when I was back there visiting, this stadium is so impressive with the Hall of Fame to the history of the Pack.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RP pretty much nailed my reasons, though I've never stepped foot on Wisconsin soil, I have in IL and MN! I became a fan after the OAK Raiders first left OAK to go to L.A.. The deviants of So Cal immediately inherited the OAK colors and swag which became an instantaneous turn off. I always rooted for the underdogs and for those that represent good. The Pack was that team to me. When the OAK moved I jumped full board on to the GB ship and have been enjoying the ride ever since. I think the bottom line including all the reasons posted above, is that GB represents all that's good about professional sports. A small town venue, ownership, pride, Lombardi and a blue collar attractiveness. No plastic, fake, unreal persona, just straight up people and football without any other complications getting in the way.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TRADITION:

Family tradition: Growing up in Packerland in the 60's becoming a Packer Fan was a birthright, passed down from generation to generation. We did not have season tickets and these were the days of TV blackouts of home games so we would frequently make the trip to visit Aunt and Uncle who could pick up Milwaukee stations on home game Sundays.

The tradition of the franchise and the unique ownership structure were always stressed as making GB something special that really belonged to all of us unlike any other team in professional sports.

This deep felt connection and family tradition of following the Packers have stayed with me over the years, even now that I live in another state. Luckily, I now have season tickets and the Sunday trip to Aunt and Uncle's house has been replaced by NFL Ticket for away games. I think I have done a good job on the family tradition as both my son and daughter(13 and 15) are huge fans living here in strong Vikings territory.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can not disagree with any of the Packer fans who have posted on this topic. I was born on the east side of Green Bay and grew up just five blocks from old City Stadium. which was the Packers home field from 1925 to 1956.

I have fortunate to have seen Packer teams coached by every Packer coach from Packer founder Earl "Curly"Lambeau to the present. I have listened or have seen over 60 years of Packer football.The Green Bay Packers are part of the fabric of Green Bay, Wi. There has been a "love affair" with community and Packers since 1919.

It makes me proud to see letters written to Green Bay Press-Gazette by fans other NFL teams , who have come to Green Bay to see the Packers and their teams play at Lambeau Field. They thank Packer fans for being so friendly and making their stay in Green Bay such a great experience.

I have been proud to say I am from Green Bay- home of the Packers!!!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can not disagree with any of the Packer fans who have posted on this topic. I was born on the east side of Green Bay and grew up just five blocks from old City Stadium. which was the Packers home field from 1925 to 1956.

I have fortunate to have seen Packer teams coached by every Packer coach from Packer founder Earl "Curly"Lambeau to the present. I have listened or have seen over 60 years of Packer football.The Green Bay Packers are part of the fabric of Green Bay, Wi. There has been a "love affair" with community and Packers since 1919.

It makes me proud to see letters written to Green Bay Press-Gazette by fans other NFL teams , who have come to Green Bay to see the Packers and their teams play at Lambeau Field. They thank Packer fans for being so friendly and making their stay in Green Bay such a great experience.

I have been proud to say I am from Green Bay- home of the Packers!!!

HEY PWT HAS RETURNED!!

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kewlbeans: I was at that same game:).

As a Southern Miss alum, I became a Pac fan because of Favre. But now that I've followed GB all these years, I'm a fan for life. Reasons?

1. Tradition
2. Class
3. Ownership / community
4. Lambeau Field

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when I was a kid I became interested in the NFL around the era of the dominating Dallas of early 90's. It was just interesting to see a team with such dominance, I watched with interest, but wasn't a fan of the Cowboys. I drifted away from interest in the NFl for a few years, but I recall the big story of the Packers win, but I didn't just hop on he wagon then.

When I decided to get back into interest in the NFL I started thinking who I could support. I had no ties to USA so that wouldn't sway my decision. I wanted a team with a bit of character about them, so Packers suited this great. They weren't the typical prototype for a franchise. You know the story you always hear - NFL makes an opening for a new franchise, big fat tycoon throws his chequebook around, name is chosen (usually a big mean animal, ooh a Bear is going to bite me! I'm so scared!). The Packers was the last of the true club atmosphere.

Then I started reading up on WIsconsin, very interesting stories. I would love to visit when I make it over.

Plus great colors, cheesheads and the SNOW! go the mighty PACK!

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic, RP!!

Wonderful to read all the heartfelt reasons why we are Packer fans - and welcome back, PWT :thumbsup:

I became a Packer fan in 1983, when the NFL was first shown regularly over here in the UK. Here are 5 reasons:-

1 First NFL game I ever saw on TV (I could have been a Steeler fan!)

2 Lynn ****ey (and Coffman, Lofton, Jefferson ...)

3 MNF Packers 48 (Superbowl Champion) Redskins 47!!

4 History and unique ownership (Bart was Head Coach in 83)

5 Brett Favre (and Henderson, Driver, Reggie, Butler Dorsey ............etc etc etc etc!)

Go Pack!! :cheerleader:

Chris

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1)Pride of Wisconsin. If you're a native, you play with the 'Big Boys', and often win.

2)You notice there's something different about Chicago Bears fans. You never want to be like them, ever.

3)Football is fun, to watch, to play, and gives you something to do on Sunday after watching the Badgers on Saturday.

4)The first game I remember seeing on TV was 1960. I grew up with Lombardi's great teams. Then I discovered the great Packers teams generated by Curly Lambeau. You discover there are bad stretches...but the good times are very, very good.

5)I can turn off Highway 41 on a street named LOMBARDI, drive through very light traffic, easily pull into a parking space, and step into a cathedral to football called LAMBEAU. No traffic jams, no hyper guards, no big money to flash. Just me, walking among legends. Think that happens everywhere?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in Chicago until I was 13, and moving "home" to Wisconsin thereafter, my old man had distilled football down to Nitschke and Butkus. I always found Ray to be more menacing and just liked the way he and the Pack conducted themselves. I was, and remain, a lifelong Packers' fan in a family of Bears' fans.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How I became a Packers Fan:

1). Brett Favre: He just makes every football game exciting to watch and with him at the helm there is always a chance to win. Hes a down to earth man, you never see him in a ritzy car or wearing ritzy clothes, hes a person just like you or I. He is a special QB with special talents, that man is as tough as they come, with all his starts and injuries hes still there for the team. I cant say enough great stuff about him.

2). I used to live 3 hours south of Green Bay: I will always be proud that I was born and raised in the state of WI, even though now I live in Southern California with the "good" weather. Still nothings beats the people of WI.

3). The city of Green Bay: Its small town values, this place is Packer country, with its streets named after Favre, Holmgren, and with statues outside of the stadium of Lombardi...

4). The stadium: I was so impressed when I was back there visiting, this stadium is so impressive with the Hall of Fame to the history of the Pack.

Cuz I married her!!

However, If I hadn't been born a Steeler fan first I could certainly imagine becoming a Packer fan. The fans have the same passion about their team and (most) will support them through thick and thin.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hooked when I was 12 on a trip to Milwaukee where I was born, but family moved to Illinois for my Dad's work. My reasons?
1) Great "values" team
2) Great "values" town
3) "Underdog" type team
4) World-wide fans
5) World-class fans.
In addition, every year these Packer players add to the lore and glory of the team. Last year it was Gado who added to it. This year it's the heart-break, yet glory, of Jon Ryan's story. Also, the way this team is struggling mightily to re-build the team's stature. The total dedication of the staff. Watching other team's players upon coming here and buying into the town and the team. Opponent's fans coming to appreciate Lambeau and our fans. This respect is not an accident. It is earned. Good people. May it never end.

D

Dan115

At the age of 8 in 1961 they were the best football team I could listen to on my radio. I have been a Packer Backer ever since that Sunday.

Members online

Latest posts