Why are you a fan?

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure we all got good reasons for being a packers fan, and, with no football to talk about, i thought we could get a little background on why everyone here became the packer-backer they are.

P.S i don't want 999999999999 posts saying it's 'cos you are from wisconsin... i want good stories

so, i'll start off with mine,

i have absolutely no clue why i am a packer fan... it could be because my favourite colour is green, but at the age of 15, i think i have outgrown that... (btw, before the packers i liked the raiders, so it's not just me liking them from when i liked the team for it's colour). but i believe it was because, just maybe, because they won the superbowl in 1996, which was probably the first time i ever watched the superbowl (well, at that age, i wasn't exactly watching, but i did get glimpses) and me watching them defeat the Patriots (which could explain why i hate them) must have stuck with me sub-consiously, and so, i became the cheesehead i am today.

either that or (less deep story) i like them for their fans (since i am also a cubs fan [not really] and a (sask) rough riders fan) and how loyal and massive the cheer of the packer-backers are...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well......no one in my family was really that into football. Although my Dad and older brother did watch it on Sundays. It was 1965, i was 8 years old, and football didn't make alot of sense to me. All of the sudden, WHAM! It made sense! And i fell in love with the Packers! I had my Dad bring me a big scrapbook home, and in 1966 i started a Packer scrapbook. I cut out all the articles i could find in the Milwaukee Journal, and glued them into my book. I kept this up through 1967, and have the first two Super Bowl years in 2 scrapbooks! I still have them today! I got to see my first Packer game at Milwaukee County Stadium. It was a preseason game in 1970 against the Bears, that ended in a 6-6 tie. I didn't get to see them "live" again until 1983, also a preseason loss.

NCPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am originally from Racine. I moved away when I was 9 in 1986. My dad has been a Packer fan his whole life, growing up there and all. I tried the rebelous cheering for other teams (49ers, Raiders, anyone but the Packers) but came to reality and came to love Brett. I think he is the real reason I became a Packers fan. The love for them just grew and grew. Now I am raising my kids to be Packer fans and they love them. I eat breathe and live for the Green and Gold.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blood issue counts???

Anyway it is impossible not to be a Packer fan if you really love this game:

The best coach ever: Great old Vince.

The best WR ever: Don Hutson.

The best LB ever: Great Old Ray.

The best DE ever: Mr. Reggie White the Minister of the Defense.

The best QB ever: two to choose from, Bart and Brett.

The best S I have ever watched: Leroy.

The best leader on the field: Ohhhhhh. let´s see,,,, just take all the ones mentioned above and the ones mentioned below.

The winner of the SB won only with balls and hearts: Packers on the Ice Bowl.

A small town team that can beat all the big city, rich owner teams: The Great Green Bay Packers.

The best stadium to watch football: Lambeau field.

The best karma in a football field: Lambeau field, the cold winter, playing outside, you can beat that !!! If you have any doubts just take the stadium tour and you will see !!!

The best story about how a team was born: The Green Bay Indians, I mean Packers, Curly even had to sold his car to pay for the old NFL fee !!

A team made out of pride, honor and heart: The GBP.

The nicest NFL logo and uniform: The Green Bay Packers

The best fans ever: Packer Fans.

Do I need to continue? Just remember Canadeo, Hornung, Gregg, Leroy, etc, etc, etc,

Anyother reasons needed??? Well I am sure we can come with a lot more.

Yopu just cant beat the feeling of being a Packer fan !!!!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a young kid who was just getting into football. My cousin from Berlin, WI used to tell me stories of the great Packers teams of the 60s. Those stories coupled with what I thought was a pretty cool sounding name for a sports team (I was only 10 years old) made me a Packer fan. I was hooked for life though, the first time I ever saw Lambeau Field when I was 13.

Noisey Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I shall start in 1989 when I met a beautyfull women from Wiss. being form ruel Missouri I decided to date someone from a differnt state, caus it seemed like after I dated someone for a short time and got to know them I found out I was related to them. ( yes Jeff Foxworthey did write my life)
Any how I was not in to football at the time. Her Mom lived in Missouri also and my 'ladyfriend' at the time, was staying with her when I came on the sene. Me and her step dad did a lot of stuff togeather I.E. Shooting blackpowden rifles hunting and so on. So when after I maried her in 1990 we would go over to Moms house on Sundays, My wife and her mom would watch footbal, me and my father-in law would do our thing. not long after that my mother-in-laws hubby with no warning up and left her around 92-93 not sure exactly .whitch left me alone on Sunday afternoons.
One day as they where watching football I stroled through the living room glanced at the TV and saw Reggie White sling some line lineman into the air like a sack of patatos and smack the QB, No ideia who it was. Well being a Defenceive player for 7 years in Middle-High School this got me exicted I sat down and watched the rest of the game it took a little time to become addicted to football,The 94 season. but that is the basics of the story.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
My grandfather was a high school football coach in WI and ND. Right before he passed away he told my father that his biggest regret was never taking him to Lambeau Field for a game. For father didn't want that to happen to him, so as soon as I was old enough to enjoy football, he took me to a game at Lambeau. It was a great experience for my dad and I, and I can't help but think my grandpa was there with us too-in a way. As different as my dad and I are, we always have the Packers to bring us together.

OK, I made that story up. But that's what I tell my girlfriend so she doesn't bug me about watching football every Sunday.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being from Iowa we don't have any local team(s) to support. So everyone here adopts a team. NE Iowa (where I'm originally from) is heavy Packer territory (and some Bears and Vikings fans as well). The original reason I chose to support the Packers (since I was knee high) is because of the "G" logo. Since my last name starts with "G", it was only fitting.

That was when I was around the age of 7.

Through the years and up to now (27 years later), it's because of the "small town that owns a big team". The whole community owning a team concept is priceless. I can't stand the Jerry Jones and George Steinbrenner's of the sports world where they "buy" their championships.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Oh, btw... I still like them because of the "G" logo too! :D

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My pops was a Packer fan and I had no choice. He would have kicked my a$s if I was anything but a Packer fan. I really started getting into the Packers when the Majic man came aboard. I always support the home team no matter what sport it is.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like chamuko said we are the greatest team ever

and cuz im from wisconsin is pretty much the whole reason

OP
OP
shiftysdad

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gmann001 said:

funny, that's why i like georgia state (resemblance to greenbay)

although i do hate the bishop grandin ghosts (highschool football team in calgary) because of that... stupid spooky (their stupid mascot)

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know shiftysdad. I wanted to get a Packer G tatooed on my arm but I didnt want it colored and I didnt want people to think im a georgia fan, so I decided not to get it. :shrug:

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to do that and have like the numbers of the greatest players on there like 4,92,66,15, and vince and holmgren like a sort of fading from the glory years to favre era thatd be sweet

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, i come from a house that hates philly teams, the eagles were eliminated off the bat--everyone on my mom's side of the family was a Raiders fan, I still like them but i dont' consider myself a fan. My dad always pulled for the Colts and Packers from the old NFL days. The year that they stuffed Barry Sanders at the playoff game at Lambeau was the start of me being a packer fan and i pretty much never looked back

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are some GREAT stories! (even the one that was made up by Matressell!!LOL!)
I have a Packer tatoo on my right forearm. I got it BEFORE the Packers went to Super Bowl 31! August of 96 was my 15th wedding anniversary, and my wife asked me what i wanted, and i told her a Packer Tatoo. So i have the "G" on my arm.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NCPackFan said:
I am originally from Racine. I moved away when I was 9 in 1986. My dad has been a Packer fan his whole life

Same with me, Racine, dad and all. Started in 1961, got hooked and just can't seem to get rid of the fever. I look forward to each season. :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
shiftysdad said:
gmann001 said:

although i do hate the bishop grandin ghosts (highschool football team in calgary) because of that... stupid spooky (their stupid mascot)

lmao when i was younger i thought the Georgia team with the Red hats an ********* G were Packer minor league team

OP
OP
shiftysdad

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
shiftysdad said:
gmann001 said:

lmao when i was younger i thought the Georgia team with the Red hats an ********* G were Packer minor league team

that's pretty funny... lol :lol:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gmann001 said:
Being from Iowa we don't have any local team(s) to support.

being from illinois, we don't have any local teams to supp...oh wait...my bad!! rofl!!

but seriously folks...i've been a packer fan since i was knee high to a cornstalk! my dad always loved the packers so you could say i was born into it. he & i went to 2 games this past season before he passed away & those are memories i will cherish always. i'll never forget the first time we toured lambeau field. he & i were just shaking with excitement as we walked into the stands - it was just awesome!! he told me all about the lombardi years, we took alot of crap thru the 70's & 80's from many bear fans, & celebrated the good years together too! the sunday before my dad passed away, i was at my parents house watching the game with my dad. he had become so weak from his cancer that he slept quite alot but when we scored, he perked up & said "who caught that, driver or ferguson?" it was amazing!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts