Why are we not getting any free agents???

tank72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT has been a little slow in signing free agents, but I can think of a handful of players that would've made the Pack better.

The linebacker group could have been made better by picking up Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas, and maybe even LaVarr Arrington. Then we would have Hawk, Barnett, and one of those agents to replace Ben Taylor or Poppinga.

Now that Green is gone, there is a hole in the backfield that I dont see Heron or Morrency or a 1st round running back being able to fill right away.

On the Oline, There is Adam Timmerman and Leonard Davis was available until signing with Dallas.

Wide Receiver---Joe Horn, Ashlee Lelie, Drew Bennet....Im sure theres alot more but thats beside the point.

Ted Thompson needs to get some big name players on the roster. Right now Moss is maybe the best place to start, but maybe he will want to stick it out in Oakland and play with JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm, because TT is not going to grossly overpay for free agent...regardless of need. Be patient Grasshopper.......we will get some players and remain fiscally responsible in doing so. How winning organizations are built.

As much as I love Ahman Green, that contract with the Texans is madness. Ahhhh...MS in the GM's ear! God bless Ahman....he plundered that team.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so long Ahman, it was a good ride. Sad to see him go, but it would have been crazy to give up that kind of money for him. We know it, he knows it. Thompson is doing a great job, a job that most of us wouldn't be able to do because of our sentimentalities. He's running the business. I agree 100% with what Digs said (and that "grasshopper" line was funny as hell). Good luck Ahman. Let's keep looking forward.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
so long Ahman, it was a good ride. Sad to see him go, but it would have been crazy to give up that kind of money for him. We know it, he knows it. Thompson is doing a great job, a job that most of us wouldn't be able to do because of our sentimentalities. He's running the business. I agree 100% with what Digs said (and that "grasshopper" line was funny as hell). Good luck Ahman. Let's keep looking forward.

I agree, I can't blame Thompson for not paying Ahman that...Houston's logic makes even less sense by signing Ahman to go with Domanick Davis...Thompson has a chance to upgrade our running backs still, please don't go into the season with Morency to start...

Reaction score
Poppinga is a former DE, and his main job is to play the strong side and shed blockers. Being a former DE, he has the ability to excell at this. Porter, nor Barnett, would have the raw strength to deal with O-linemen that Popp provides, and that is why Popp is the starter (and an effective one at that). And I'm sorry but if Thomas chose GB over the Pats, he would be an idiot. The Pats are much closer to winning a SB than the Packers.

As for WR, you have to understand people like Bennet or Lellie see themselves as top receivers, and want to start. I'm not sure the idea of taking a below market value deal, or even market value deal, to sign in GB would appeal to them because our #1 WR is Driver, and the #2 spot will be Jennings to lose. Based on his performance in TC last year, it doesn't seem as if Jennings will let that spot go. Horn seems read to accept a role as a #3 WR, and TT has had talks with Horn's agent. Horn might be waiting to see what else is out there though.

As for the o-line, Davis wants to start and be paid starters money. He won't be starting in GB, so it doesn't make sense to pay him starters money. Our o-line is set, and people forget that we have some decent depth. Klemm, Barry, Coston are still signed on with the Packers. Add Moll to that list, and we have some good depth if only one of the 3 players returning from injury can make it on the roster.

The Packers aren't the only team that haven't made a move in signing a free agent yet. Some other teams include: Ravens, Chargers, Colts, Bears, Saints, Seahawks.

All these teams haven't signed anyone in FA either. It isn't as if the Packers are the only team waiting for the price demands to come down.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:beersign: Every year it's the same. Fans here agonize over the free agency period. The fact that there are so few quality players out there that fit the needs of the Pack never seems to sink in. If a player surfaces that GB can use to good effect I'm sure TT will take a stab at getting that player. So, getting our undies in a bunch about the lack of signings is just a waste of time and sweat. That we all have our favorites to get; we are not the ones making the decisions. Thank God!!!

Members online

Latest posts