Why a first round RB???

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Thye are going to take the "best athelete available" when their time comes to pick. Of course, i have NO idea who they have listed as the best atheletes in the Packer draft room.
I wouldn't be upset if they didn't take a RB right away.

No. Ted does not take the best 'athlete' he takes the best football player (well, thats his goal). I can understand the mix up, you're used to Sherman's theory of drafting.

Someone said there are "quite a few question marks surrounding him" regarding Lynch.

Elaborate. He was charged with someone, charges were dropped. That's not an issue any longer. His alleged back issues, they are based of nothing to support them, just speculation.

So, what else is there?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, there are a few schools of thought when it comes to the first round of the draft.

Best Player Available- This is the theory that you just rank the players from 1-250 and take the guy that's at the top of your list every time it's your turn to pick. Sounds good in theory, but it's rarely done based on this principal alone.

Best Player Based on Team Needs- Also good in theory because there's really not that much separation between 2-3 players at any point in the draft, but it can lead to reaches and over-valuing players while trying to fill holes on the roster.

Best Value- This is where you try to maximize your dollars spent by trying to get a player in the first round at one of the higher paying positions (QB, RB, WR, CB, LT, DE) for much less than you can get a comparably priced player in free agency. Best bang for the buck, especially if it also matches BPA and/or team needs.

Best Production- This is the theory that you have to get production from your first round pick. Although it flies in the face of reason when considering the other above options and the fact that going from college football to the NFL is usually a huge step for these players, it is a valid point and many subscribe to it.

So really, it seems like the best bet for TT and the Packers is to try and find a player in the first round that meets as many of the above criteria as possible.

BPA- That'll be up to the players available when they select and how they have them rated.

Team Needs- I would think that RB, S, WR, TE, DE, CB, FB and OL would be high on their list in this category.

Best Value- Seems like RB, WR, CB and DE would meet this criteria as well as filling a team need.

Best Production- With questions at both the RB and WR positions, it seems like a legitimate talent at either the RB or WR positions would get ample opportunity for playing time with the Packers this year, so it stands to reason they would also offer more production.

So back to your question as to taking a 1st round RB, it certainly seems reasonable to me as far as meeting all the above criteria, that is as long as they have one rated that high when it comes their time to pick. It also has the added value of being a position where most teams are utilizing RBs by committee nowadays instead of relying only on a star back as teams used to do.

All-in all, I wouldn't be that disappointed with a good RB taken in the 1st round.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
cheesey said:
Thye are going to take the "best athelete available"

urgh dont use that phrase! it sounds way too Shermanesque!
I know......i ALWAYS hated that statement!
To me, you should draft for your needs, UNLESS some guy is unbelieveably good.
I mean, if you need a WR and take a LB, when you already HAVE good LB's, what good is it gonna do you?
It's like having a flat tire, and buying spark plugs cause they are GREAT spark plugs at a GREAT price! Your tire is still gonna be flat, and your STILL not going anywhere.

No Cheesy isn't not like buying spark plugs when you have a flat tire. It's completely different. If you look back at the five years that Sherman was running this team, look at how many times he reached to fill a need and missed. Sherman isn't alone, that happens all too often. If you take the best player available you will fill your team with quality players.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you pick as late as #16, who knows what you might really get?
The real truth is, there is no "sure thing" at any spot in the draft.
Look at Donald Driver for example, wasn't he a 6th round choice or something like that?
I know it was a later round.
I think that pick turned out pretty darn good for us! Think about how many scouts ended up scratching their heads over missing him!

I am always mystified when people talk about you can't find a great player at 16 or in the later picks of the first round. Let's look at it like this. How many college football players are there in this country alone who are eligible for the draft. I'm sure it's in the thousands. I just won't believe that there aren't 30 guys in this draft that can't become impact players in the NFL this next year. I will say this, if you reach for someone who isn't an impact player, but fills a need, then you have in essence chosen a lesser player. If you take the 16th best player in the draft, you're going to get an exceptional player unless the guy drafting is an idiot.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Thye are going to take the "best athelete available" when their time comes to pick. Of course, i have NO idea who they have listed as the best atheletes in the Packer draft room.

No. Ted does not take the best 'athlete' he takes the best football player (well, thats his goal). I can understand the mix up, you're used to Sherman's theory of drafting.

Someone said there are "quite a few question marks surrounding him" regarding Lynch.

Elaborate. He was charged with someone, charges were dropped. That's not an issue any longer. His alleged back issues, they are based of nothing to support them, just speculation.

So, what else is there?

even with all that he is not something special at RB. I think we should take nelson and then a second round RB.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
cheesey said:

So, what else is there?

even with all that he is not something special at RB. I think we should take nelson and then a second round RB.

I'm in the process of doing an NFL mock with some friends. I'm drafting for the NFC Norris (North). I did take Nelson for the Packers at #16. Lynch was already gone the guy drafting for Buffalo took him but faced with the choice I still would have taken Nelson.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

So, what else is there?

I'm in the process of doing an NFL mock with some friends. I'm drafting for the NFC Norris (North). I did take Nelson for the Packers at #16. Lynch was already gone the guy drafting for Buffalo took him but faced with the choice I still would have taken Nelson.

I agree nelson can be special b/c he is good. (i am surprised to say it cuz i am a diehard osu fan). I just don't see why lynch should be picked up at 16. we can take a rb in the second round.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
sbp_387 said:
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

So, what else is there?

I agree nelson can be special b/c he is good. (i am surprised to say it cuz i am a diehard osu fan). I just don't see why lynch should be picked up at 16. we can take a rb in the second round.

I agree completely. The difference between Lynch and alot of RB's that will be around in the second is minimal at best. I feel that Lynch is at best a late first rounder. There are more questions about him then him being accused of ****** assault. Speed, Injuries and Upright running style, etc are all question marks surrounding Lynch. I have seen him sliding down mock draft boards. In fact Rotoworld sees him slipping to the second round.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
ravage said:
sbp_387 said:
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

So, what else is there?

I agree completely. The difference between Lynch and alot of RB's that will be around in the second is minimal at best. I feel that Lynch is at best a late first rounder. There are more questions about him then him being accused of ****** assault. Speed, Injuries and Upright running style, etc are all question marks surrounding Lynch. I have seen him sliding down mock draft boards. In fact Rotoworld sees him slipping to the second round.

I don't think his play on the field has to do with his slipping. More the character questions. With the NFL really cracking down on punishment nobody is going to want to invest a 1st on a guy with character problems. I have never met Marshawn Lynch. I like what he brings but if the Packers feel he is a liability because of the way he presents himself then they should not take him.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really have nothing against the guy, if we pick him i hope he proves me wrong an has a 1800 yard season...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
cheesey said:

So, what else is there?

I've seen a lot of clips on the guy and haven't been impressed at all. I was hoping for LaRon Landry but I think he's going to be gone WAYYYY before we get a chance at him.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the question mark is the underplayed current roster. How good is Underwood? and Morency? Can either carry the load? Same with the receivers? Can Martin step up?

I think we're the weakest at safety. The other considerations are what are the draft strengths this year? If there are a lot of good safeties available, then wait on that pick for later.

I don't know ANYTHING about the players available in the draft. Just going off of Packer needs, I think our priorities ought to be as follows:
Safety
Running Back
Wide Receiver
Tight End

And if any of the top three can return kicks, SOLD!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
Do you guys think we really should go for a first round rb, we could fill another need with this pick cuz this years draft has some very good RB in the second round. We rune a zone blocking scheme and so we dont need a first round back, I dont think lynch is a special RB. he is good but not that special, he also has some off the field issues and back problems and things.
I'm pulling for the Packers to draft M. Bush in the 2nd round

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have not drafted a RB in the first or second round worth diddly in THIRTY FIVE years.

It's either time we did and got it right or just leave it alone and pick one up later.
I personally would be fine with Pittman in the 3rd. The only Buckeye that played tough when the going was rough against Florida.

Before we get all into who we could get out of the draft go back and revisit PJ Pope's college career. If he hadn't have gotten hurt his senior year and was in this years draft he would probably be the 3rd highest guy considered.

His numbers were that good. CAREER RUSHING AVERAGE- 5.2 yards

Not a game or a year but the whole damn time he played at BG. Remember, the Bears were three deep when we snagged him off the practice squad. You can bet they wish they had him now with Thomas gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts