Why a first round RB???

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys think we really should go for a first round rb, we could fill another need with this pick cuz this years draft has some very good RB in the second round. We rune a zone blocking scheme and so we dont need a first round back, I dont think lynch is a special RB. he is good but not that special, he also has some off the field issues and back problems and things.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
Do you guys think we really should go for a first round rb, we could fill another need with this pick cuz this years draft has some very good RB in the second round. We rune a zone blocking scheme and so we dont need a first round back, I dont think lynch is a special RB. he is good but not that special, he also has some off the field issues and back problems and things.

Good question. I was a few weeks ago pro-Lynch in the 1st, but now I'm changing on that. Like you said, we run a ZBS. If utilized right, Morency/Herron will be fine and our more pressing needs are drafting a TE, a Safety, a KR/PR in one of the later rounds, and depth (CB, OT, RB, etc).

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Samkon Gado did well as a street free agent.
RB is one of the easiest positions in the NFL for rookies to learn.
The O-line opening the holes is much more important.

There will be someone "good enough" that the Packers can select in the 3rd to 5th round.

Anyone remember a Packer 6th round pick Don Woods getting over a 1000 yards as a rookie?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an interesting question. You make a good point, but this year it seems that Lynch is the player who stands out as having the biggest impact for the Packers at #16, unless he's taken earlier or another player drops much farther than expected.

Something to keep in mind is that although Denver's RB's have all piled up lots of yards in the zone blocking scheme, they won their Super Bowls when they had an elite running back (Terrell Davis), and Shanahan has made some moves recently to try getting another elite back. Last year he reached in the draft for Maurice Clarett, and this year he signed Travis Henry for big bucks.

It could be that Denver's backs have put up big numbers just because the offense is so run-oriented. Apparently Mike Shanahan, who knows a thing or two about the zone blocking scheme, has decided that it's worth sacrificing to try picking up another top quality RB.

So I could see the logic in picking Lynch if he's available. But if Thompson feels there is a good chance of picking up a good enough back in the lower rounds, I wouldn't blame him for filling another need with that first round pick. I'm itching to get a good safety or tight end.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Kenny Irons would be the perfect fit for our offense, he has shown good production in college, he is both quicker and faster than Lynch and would maintain that speed and quickness even if he bulked up a little.

He is more patient than Lynch, Lynch tends to dance outside all the time, Irons uses the blocking and take what he gets, I also believe Irons has better vision.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Kenny Irons would be the perfect fit for our offense, he has shown good production in college, he is both quicker and faster than Lynch and would maintain that speed and quickness even if he bulked up a little.

He is more patient than Lynch, Lynch tends to dance outside all the time, Irons uses the blocking and take what he gets, I also believe Irons has better vision.

question for you...how do you know Irons would maintain speed/quickness if he bulked up a little?

I've been a supporter of the Pack taking Lynch with their first pick b/c he's an excellent receiver as well as a runner. I've also heard people say that the one thing that Lynch may have over any other back in this year's draft is vision - an excellent quality for a back in the ZBS.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday I was wtshing a program on this years draft and the "expert" said Lynch is dropping due to character concerns and lingering back problems.
That was the first I heard about the back problems.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday I was wtshing a program on this years draft and the "expert" said Lynch is dropping due to character concerns and lingering back problems.
That was the first I heard about the back problems.

He has quite a few question marks surrounding him. I wouldn't take him at 16.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrell Davis was drafted in the 6th round 190 something pick. He was far from an elite prospect coming into the NFL. The Denver run scheme, his ability, coaching, and the overall quality of play around him made him one of the all timers. and that was shanahans first year as coach... so to say that denvers run game wasnt special until an elite RB came on isnt entirely correct. He was still a long shot to make a team and he got it, proving that in the right system anyone can carry the load.

I wont be terribly upset if we draft Lynch 16th. I just think hes got so much bust potential that its scary. Back issues, character issues just seem like a lot to throw on a guy who will be paid millions and have lots of pressure being a first rounder. id rather the packers go for a player with less potential to fail.(if there is even such a thing.) its all a crapshoot really, but i think trading down or going for another player, possibly TE or S would be the better pick.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if we snagged a safety in the fist, their are guys like Irons and Pittman who's stock is rising due to good work outs. I think one of you said something about speed. Well the second best 40 next to Adrian Peterson was by Pittman and he would only need to put on a few pounds, he came in at 5' 11'' and 207 pounds. He can add what he needs in the off season. I think he ran a 4.4.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thye are going to take the "best athelete available" when their time comes to pick. Of course, i have NO idea who they have listed as the best atheletes in the Packer draft room.
I wouldn't be upset if they didn't take a RB right away.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always believed in picking the best player available no matter what the position. When you do that, you have a chance of getting an impact type player. So as much as I think the Packers need to address their running back situation, they need more good players no matter what position they play. If you're overloaded at linebacker, defensive back or whatever, you can always make a trade to fill in the holes. The problem under Mike Sherman was that he was almost always reaching, trying to find that stud, diamond in the rough player who filled a position of need. All too often what he got was a guy who couldn't play. Granted we need a young stud running back and I think if Lynch is available he'd be great for this system, but I'm not sure if he will be there.

Here is some food for thought, what do you do if Brady Quinn slides to 16?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great thread, great thread...great thread...

Unless it's a can't miss guy like a Reggie Bush or Ladanian Tomlinson, etc...the success of a running back depends on his offensive line...and chances are there's a greater need on the team at a position which is harder to get in the draft

I'm very fond of Antonio Pittman and Kenny Irons--as for Irons' slipping, I think he's a good 2nd round pick...Auburn is the new tailback U--Stephen Davis, Rudi Johnson, Brown/Caddilac...

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There so be some excellent receivers available at 16th.

The tight ends available are too iffy to take the first round.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Thye are going to take the "best athelete available"

urgh dont use that phrase! it sounds way too Shermanesque!
I know......i ALWAYS hated that statement!
To me, you should draft for your needs, UNLESS some guy is unbelieveably good.
I mean, if you need a WR and take a LB, when you already HAVE good LB's, what good is it gonna do you?
It's like having a flat tire, and buying spark plugs cause they are GREAT spark plugs at a GREAT price! Your tire is still gonna be flat, and your STILL not going anywhere.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we the TE in the first round issue. No good ones will we avilable to us the panthers will take the only good one, we should get nelson.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you pick as late as #16, who knows what you might really get?
The real truth is, there is no "sure thing" at any spot in the draft.
Look at Donald Driver for example, wasn't he a 6th round choice or something like that?
I know it was a later round.
I think that pick turned out pretty darn good for us! Think about how many scouts ended up scratching their heads over missing him!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrell Davis was drafted in the 6th round 190 something pick. He was far from an elite prospect coming into the NFL. The Denver run scheme, his ability, coaching, and the overall quality of play around him made him one of the all timers. and that was shanahans first year as coach... so to say that denvers run game wasnt special until an elite RB came on isnt entirely correct. He was still a long shot to make a team and he got it, proving that in the right system anyone can carry the load.

I'm aware of the fact that Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick. My point was that he WAS an elite player. If he was good only because of the quality of play around him, as you imply, why hasn't every one of their running backs been as good as him? They've had one elite back since him, Clinton Portis, who they traded away for Champ Bailey. Davis had tremendous talent and determination and slipped in the draft mostly because of his injury history.

To get an RB that good in the 6th round is an anomaly, just as it was an anomaly for the Patriots to get Tom Brady in the sixth round. Sure, it can happen, but the chances are very small. You shouldn't pin your hopes on it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:

I think people need to realize that yes we run the zone blocking scheme but not as good as Denver especially in the last 10 years. The Texans run the zone blocking scheme and it didn't exactly work for them last year. While the Packers have the potential to be pretty decent on the line I don't think they'll be able to plug in an undrafted free agent or a late round pick and have him run wild. One of the Pack's first two picks has to be used on a RB in my opinion.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:

I think people need to realize that yes we run the zone blocking scheme but not as good as Denver especially in the last 10 years. The Texans run the zone blocking scheme and it didn't exactly work for them last year. While the Packers have the potential to be pretty decent on the line I don't think they'll be able to plug in an undrafted free agent or a late round pick and have him run wild. One of the Pack's first two picks has to be used on a RB in my opinion.

I agree, if out OLine were like 5/6 year veterans of the ZBS then we could start doing what the Broncos do but as it stands we need playmakers.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see us trade out of the first round and get one more day one draft pick. Guys i want in this draft are:

First pick assuming we trade out of round 1, trade it for Randy Moss or, get one of these big receivers. Whoever is left is fine as long as we get an extra draft pick in addition. I dont think any of these guys is worth a 16th pick by themselves.
Dwayne Bowe
Dwayne Jarret
Rober Meachem
Im sure one of these guys will slip to early in round 2.

WR Anthony Gonzalez
......we can probably get him in round 3. Very impressed by his play and workout #'s. Talk all you want about Tedd Ginn but in the crunch time, the ball went to Gonzalez way more than to Ginn. Ginn is good at beating up on slow College receivers and taking them deep, but that will never happen in the NFL.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/gonzalez_anthony

MLB Buster Davis.....i dont know where this guy is rated on draft boards but this guy is awesome to watch. His workout numbers were awesome. Unlike most players with impressive workout numbers, his workout numbers translate into production on the field. I know we dont have a pressing need at linebacker, but this guy can probably be had in round 3 and i would love to have him on our team. If you've seen him play you know why.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/davis_buster

Free Safety Brandon Meriweather from UM......good player and maybe can be had in round 2 or 3. Maybe not a day 1 starter but in my opinion would provide good depth and eventually take over the starting role late in the year or next year. I think he can be really good.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/meriweather_brandon

We can easily get all of these guys, no problem. I'd be more than satisfied if this plan comes true.

I'd like for us to get a tight end or Calvin Johnson, but there is no tight end in the draft that will significantly help us and no chance we will get Johnson. We can also get some more offensive line depth im sure too.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anthony Gonzalez or Brandon Meriweather are 2 players who I think can be very good in our system.

cheesy4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree we get either Meachem or Leon Hall in the first and Pittman or maybe irons in the second

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR Anthony Gonzalez[/b]......we can probably get him in round 3. Very impressed by his play and workout #'s. Talk all you want about Tedd Ginn but in the crunch time, the ball went to Gonzalez way more than to Ginn. Ginn is good at beating up on slow College receivers and taking them deep, but that will never happen in the NFL.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/gonzalez_anthony

On Sports Illustrated's web site today, they say that Gonzalez' stock is soaring and that he should be a high second round pick and could even be taken late in the first round, by the Chargers. He looks to be in between the Packers' first and second round picks, so they may not get him unless they trade down or up.

Latest posts