Who would be your 11 Def. starters?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slick, last I heard we were not running the 3-4. Granted, I know it is hard to put Hunt's name down as a starter, but that is what he is for this season, so you may as well scribble it in. (sigh)

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Assuming that we don't switch to a 3-4 as noted:

KGB
Jackson
Williams
Kampman

Thompson
Barnett
Diggs (Manning)

Harris
Little
Collins
Carroll

Hawkins Nickel Back
Thomas Dime

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Slick, last I heard we were not running the 3-4. Granted, I know it is hard to put Hunt's name down as a starter, but that is what he is for this season, so you may as well scribble it in. (sigh)

I thought he was asking as if I were MS and as being the HC I thought I'd have the power to change it to how I feel best suits the team.

musccy said:
If you were MS, who would you start on D for the season opener (assuming everyone is healthy by then)?

Reaction score
RE- KGB (need his rushing ability)
LE- Kampman (hard worker and never give up attitude)
DT- Grady (Best we got for now)
DT- Hunt (Has all the tools to be a great DT, and hopefully starts using them consistently)

WLB- Diggs (Hard worker, great player)
MLB- Barnett (D Leader who should step up this season)
SLB- Thompson (Playmaking ability is too hard to ignore, and has adjusted to Bates system better than Navies)

CB- Harris (Our best CB and an excellent player and true professional)
CB- Carroll (Has all the tools to be a good one, just needs to mature more, which he has done this far. Thomas has been injured to much to have a chance to start)
S- Nick Collins (good rookie, play maker who should fill void left by Butler)
S- Roman or Little, up in the air (Roman has impressed the coaches, but Little had a hell of a game against Bills. May the best man win the job!)

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RE-Jenkins (I'm not a huge KGB fan, so why not throw in a wrinkle?)
LE-Kampman
DT-Cole
DT-Grady

WLB-Barnett (I don't like him at mlb)
MLB-Diggs (maybe not his best spot, but best potential mlb the pack have, IMOHO)
SLB-Thompson

CB-Harris
CB-Hawkins - Trial by fire didn't work for Carroll, maybe it will for Hawkins?!?
S-Collins
S-Little - Roman looked good in camp last yr. too, and look what happened

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
WLB-Barnett (I don't like him at mlb)
MLB-Diggs (maybe not his best spot, but best potential mlb the pack have, IMOHO)
SLB-Thompson

I think Diggs at MLB is a huge stretch. If anyone were fit to play there it would be Manning, cause he's got the size. Diggs is best at strong-side and Barnett would be a pro-bowler outside too.
But I'd like to see what Thompson can do on the outside (which means keeping #56 at MLB). I think he fits in Bates' scheme very well.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
I think Diggs at MLB is a huge stretch. If anyone were fit to play there it would be Manning, cause he's got the size. Diggs is best at strong-side and Barnett would be a pro-bowler outside too.
But I'd like to see what Thompson can do on the outside (which means keeping #56 at MLB). I think he fits in Bates' scheme very well.

You may be right about Diggs, but wouldn't Barnett, who is arguably the best athlete among the lbs, be best suited at the weak side lb (as opposed to the m, or slb) where he'd have the most freedom to utilize his athletic ability and speed?

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
You may be right about Diggs, but wouldn't Barnett, who is arguably the best athlete among the lbs, be best suited at the weak side lb (as opposed to the m, or slb) where he'd have the most freedom to utilize his athletic ability and speed?

The outside linebacker positions in Bate's scheme are pretty interchangeable.
There isn't as big of a difference in strong and weaksides as opposed to the previous schemes used because with Bates' defense they are always moving. So saying that, Barnett would flourish at either outside position.

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are talking opening day against the Lions right?

DL:
KGB
Kampman
Williams
TruLuck

LB:
Diggs
Barnett

DB:
Harris
Carrol
Thomas
Collins
Roman

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DT-Jenkins - proved himself last year
DT-Jackson - hes fat..we need fatness
DE-KGB - hes paid too much, and he was top 5 in sacks last year
DE-Kampman - he has heart..and more talent than any other end we have

MLB-Barnett - hes the starter..
WSL-Diggs - when he comes back from injury, he da man
SSL-Thompson - better than naviespoppingaanyone else. that dont make him good.

CB-Al Harris- THE MAN
CB-Mike Hawkins - Best CB we have besides Al. He also has playing experience in the AFL.
Nickel Back- Joey Thomas - Better than Carroll. I am better than carroll.

Strong Safety-Earl Little - Starter by default. Roman blows.
Free Safety-Nick Collins- light at the end of the tunnel. I love this kid.

Reaction score
tromadz said:

Funny you should say that. If you were better than Carroll, I am sure you would be in the NFL right now. Yet by all accounts I do not believe this is the case.

Lay off Carroll. He is only 22 for goodness sakes. (HE JUST TURNED 22, IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN A MONTH YET!) That means that when he entered as a rookie last year, he was more like 20, not even 21! He is more mature this year, and he will improve. This man has not had exposed to football as long as other rookies, and thus he needs more time. Developing players doesn't happen overnight, and you have to understand that with Carroll, it will take him time to change his technique since he has been doing it since he started playing football.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
CalifPacker said:
DL:
KGB
Jackson
Hunt
Kampman

LB:
Diggs
Barnett
Thompson

Secondary:
Harris
Collins
Little
Hawkins

Fox Sports has an artical on the Packers defensive problems
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4803480

Well, Philtration, the entire article was negative. No hope at all. Gee, the season is over before it began. Pfffff...

As for favre, I believe his passer rating was 90+ last season. 30 TD's and 4000 yds. But lets focus on the INT's.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
tromadz said:

Funny you should say that. If you were better than Carroll, I am sure you would be in the NFL right now. Yet by all accounts I do not believe this is the case.

Lay off Carroll. He is only 22 for goodness sakes. (HE JUST TURNED 22, IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN A MONTH YET!) That means that when he entered as a rookie last year, he was more like 20, not even 21! He is more mature this year, and he will improve. This man has not had exposed to football as long as other rookies, and thus he needs more time. Developing players doesn't happen overnight, and you have to understand that with Carroll, it will take him time to change his technique since he has been doing it since he started playing football.

I was obviously joking, but now that I think about, I MIGHT be better than him. The thing with carroll..is he is blazing fast. ridiculously fast. He has that gift, unfortunately everything else sucks. My technique is probably better than his. If I had his speed, and athleticism, I could be in the NFL. The thing is...athleticism and speed isnt everything. You have to have control, maturity,desire. he lacks all 3 of those. And technique...how long does it take? Hawkins and Collins are doing fine, and they're rookies. But give Carroll more and more time for what...cuz hes been doing it (it = sucking) for a while? I dont think so. the kid sucks.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had his speed, and athleticism, I could be in the NFL.

me too!

Hawkins and Collins are doing fine, and they're rookies.

they haven't done a thing yet.

im not sure if we're in a position to give up on Carroll just yet. are you sold on Thomas? im definitely not. i just think Carroll has a bit more potential than you're giving him credit for.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
If I had his speed, and athleticism, I could be in the NFL.

me too!

[quote:2hnzotfm]
Hawkins and Collins are doing fine, and they're rookies.

they haven't done a thing yet.

im not sure if we're in a position to give up on Carroll just yet. are you sold on Thomas? im definitely not. i just think Carroll has a bit more potential than you're giving him credit for.[/quote:2hnzotfm]

They haven't done a thing yet. Except play 2 solid preseason games, and continue to win over the coaches in practice, but what do they know...

Reaction score
tromadz, looking into preseason and practice performance, doesn't always tell the whole story. Just because a player looks good in practice and preseason games doesn't mean he will do good in the regular season (cough MARK ROMAN cough)
But the coaches that have been excited about the development of Collins, Hawkins, Thomas, and Underwood are the same coaches that have said good things about Carroll. I still think that he needs a bit more time, and if given it, he will not dissapoint.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
They haven't done a thing yet. Except play 2 solid preseason games, and continue to win over the coaches in practice, but what do they know...

cmon now...you and i both know to say Hawkins and Collins are doing fine as rookies when they haven't played a real game yet is premature to say the least.

my point is you can't compare them to Carroll yet..they haven't even had a chance to fail.

*edit*

i just saw a.a.d.p.'s post...didn't mean to sound like a parrot, but basically, ditto.

*edit*

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts