Who will win the starting job?

Who will win the starting job at running back in 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it is bold IMO. Starks did poorly in the preseason opener. His best run was an 8 yard run, followed by a bunch of 3 yard runs, several 2 yard runs etc.... hardly a solid performance imo. His injury history alone makes him the front runner for the axe, I hope any ways. He was a fluke in 2010 and really only had one decent game then, nothing that ESPN would have even bragged about. Alex green is another one ready to hit the dirt road imo. I really hope both of the two I mentioned are not even on our roster taking up a spot that could be used for someone with more talent/value/durability.
Angelo Pease

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris looked really good last year, but lets not forget that a number of teams cut him and he was selling cars when we picked him up. There are probably some good reasons for that, and regression to the mean is a distinct possibility. He should get as fair of a shot as the rest, but him being the starter last year doesn't mean much to me. They need to put the best guy out there for whatever play they're running.

As for Pease, he got one carry the other night, so I'm pretty sure he's headed to the practice squad. It'd be nice to get something for Green and/or Starks if they're not going to make it, but the reasons we want to get rid of them are the reasons we probably wouldn't be able to get anyone for them. Oft injured running backs that have a good chance of being cut soon don't usually fetch much for trades.

Pretty sure you're not giving Harris even close to enough credit. The guy averaged over five yards per carry against the 49ers, one of the best run D's in the NFL, in the playoffs. Heck, McCarthy deciding to abandon Harris in the second half is one of the great mysteries of last season. For comparison, Starks tends to get way more credit for his playoff run in 2010 even though his per carry averages were actually pretty poor (he was all volume).

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris with Lacy coming in for the short yardage. Franklin will be the change of pace. I wish someone would make Kuhn expendable. That is a wasted roster spot. I like the guy but it is time. He knows the plays and can lead block and pass protect. He does very little else these days though. There simply is no production for a guy MM like to get the ball to from time to time.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris with Lacy coming in for the short yardage. Franklin will be the change of pace. I wish someone would make Kuhn expendable. That is a wasted roster spot. I like the guy but it is time. He knows the plays and can lead block and pass protect. He does very little else these days though. There simply is no production for a guy MM like to get the ball to from time to time.
You may get your wish. Looks like they might be planning to use Matthew Mulligan in sort of an H-back role with him lead blocking in the backfield and pass blocking on the line.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Packers are a passing team. Without Rogers they're at the bottom of the pack. They can run block, they can barely pass block. Lacy and Franklin are overweight and bust. Sorry, looks like another disappointing year for the Cheddarheads
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I see that facing the truth and being delusional is inevitable in here. Have fun with irrelevancy this year.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is back to full speed and is projected to play tomorrow night. I may have to alter my thinking as it doesn't appear that he pulled his hamstring. It must have just been a little stiffness.

astonjay32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Friendly Redskins fan and avid fantasy football player here, looking for some local insight regarding the Green Bay backfield.

As of Monday's practice (8/19), DuJuan Harris was getting first team reps in practice, which seems to be in line with McCarthy's repeated statements this preseason that Harris is the starter, with Lacy being the presumed goal line back. As an outsider (who's admittedly seen very little of Harris beyond those two playoff games last year), I find that decision a bit hard to believe.

Do you guys really expect Harris to be the starter Week 1, if so, for how long?

As a fantasy guy, I look at Lacy and see a potential STUD. I know, I know, you guys are a passing team, I get that. But with all due respect to Harris (and Green, Starks, Benson, Kuhn, etc.), you haven't had a horse like this in awhile. He's bigger, faster, great pass blocker, capable as a receiver, and looked beastly in your last preseason game.

Beyond the two playoff games in which he was decent, what has Harris done to secure that job? In the game in which he had the most opportunity to run (Week 17), he averaged less than 3 yards per carry. And it's not like he was a highly touted prospect, either. He was undrafted, signed and cut by Jags, signed and cut by the Steelers and was selling cars when you guys signed him. Are you telling me THAT's your guy?

If so, why spend a second rounder on Lacy, and then a fourth rounder on Franklin, rather than get some OL to help protect the QB that was sacked more than anyone last year? I'm sorry, doesn't add up. Help me understand!

I want to draft Lacy in several of my leagues, as I think he'll eventually win the job and put a season similar to Ryan Grant's glory years in 2007-2009, something in the neighborhood of 1200 yards and 10 touchdowns. Am I crazy? Or do you all think he's really going to be limited this year and remain the #2 behind CarMax?

Appreciate the insight, fellas. I'll be watching your final preseason game tonight, that's for sure. Good luck this season! (Except in Week 2. All the luck in the world won't help you then :) )

Thanks!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Harris AVG'd 5 YPC against the 49ers, and proved he had a nose for the endzone. Remember that he had to get used to running behind our OL. Lacy has already had some minor injury stints, Lacy will make sure DuJuan has fresh legs the entire season.

astonjay32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris AVG'd 5 YPC against the 49ers, and proved he had a nose for the endzone. Remember that he had to get used to running behind our OL. Lacy has already had some minor injury stints, Lacy will make sure DuJuan has fresh legs the entire season.
Interesting. Figured it might be the other way around, but you seem to think that Harris really is the guy, and according to his public statements, so does McCarthy.

If that's true, why spend a 2nd and a 4th on backup RBs? If an undrafted free agent is good enough to start (which, in a pass-happy offense, isn't that crazy to assume at all), why invest so heavily in reserves? Any chance this is all a stunt to motivate Lacy?

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced that Harris' good showing last year wasn't a result of teams playing pass first defense on us.
I think Lacy takes the job a few weeks in.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what people have seen in Harris to indicate that he's a starter. He's played in only a couple games for GB so far, with 62 rushes for 257 yards - a 4.1 yard average. I don't think that he's "proved" anything much beyond what Starks proved in 2010. He hasn't been able to prove a think yet in training camp because he's been injured. I don't even understand McCarthy's loyalty to anointing the guy a starter, since he took over at the end of the season for other people who were injured. Hypocrisy at it's best!

There is no consensus on who will ultimately get the carries for GB. Lacy is putting himself at the top of the list but MM prematurely called Harris the starter. If or when a transition happens, nobody knows. If history is any indicator, GB will use multiple running backs and will be contending with injuries at that position throughout the season. Don't bet your fantasy roster on anything related to GB unless you're looking for a dark horse in the late rounds.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Interesting. Figured it might be the other way around, but you seem to think that Harris really is the guy, and according to his public statements, so does McCarthy.

If that's true, why spend a 2nd and a 4th on backup RBs? If an undrafted free agent is good enough to start (which, in a pass-happy offense, isn't that crazy to assume at all), why invest so heavily in reserves? Any chance this is all a stunt to motivate Lacy?
No, RB depth was **** poor. We NEEDED a heavy back at least, if not a bellcow. Lacy is that guy, Franklin was Green insurance. Lacy will eventually start, but it won't be week 1.

Stephen Schneider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to get third and one conversions! Running is attitude and mano e mano. You have line up and tell the defense "put eleven in the box! You can't stop us!" We ain't got that on offense or defense. Wayne Simmons please look down and send us some surrliness.

H

HardRightEdge

I would not be interested in any Packer running back if I were you.

1. McCarthy like to go with the "hot hand"...it is difficult to predict who that might be at any given time. His patience in this regard is not a whole lot longer than the average fan.
2. If no particularly hot hand emerges, then committee work can be expected.
3. We don't run block particularly well.
4. Our red zone passing is efficient and effective, so I would not expect a lot of rushing TDs, though probably more than last season's extremely low count.

Members online

Latest posts