Who will we get THIS year off waivers?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year GB got the following players off waivers that are still on the team:

-CARLYLE HOLIDAY - Brings WR Depth, kickoff return possibilities.

-SHAUN BODIFORD - Speeders, return man.

-JARRETT BUSH - In the hunt for the 3rd CB spot.

-CHARLIE PEPRAH - Maybe the backup SS.

-TONY PALMER - Offensive line depth. Had a solid camp.

Obviously none of these guys are Charles Woodson or anything, but they helped the team depth-wise.

And remember our team at this time LAST YEAR. We had nothing after Woodson\Harris, so Bush made sense. We had a very young, iffy O-line, so Palmer made sense. Peprah and the WRs made sense cuz we had nothing after Collins(safety) and Driver\Jennings(WR).

Depending on who gets cut, and what our needs are (yes, we have some banged up RBs, I think that's been said 1921972 times this week), some good pickups could be made.

Hopefully we get more players who can contribute like Bush and Holiday.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
dang... all our waiver wire pick ups except bodiford are likely gonna make the roster this year.

More players than the 04 and 05 drafts combined.... :-?

Bush looked really solid again last night.. bet the Panthers are kicking themselves for that one.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
dang... all our waiver wire pick ups except bodiford are likely gonna make the roster this year.

Bush looked really solid again last night.. bet the Panthers are kicking themselves for that one.

actually the panthers are kicking themselves... that team is in trouble i think.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Packnic said:

actually the panthers are kicking themselves... that team is in trouble i think.

That an letting Ricky Manning lose a couple of years ago.. Peppers didn't want to talk contract extension with them.. Kris Jenkins is kinda pissed that is name has been floated around in trades.. There offense is sporatic... yep I agree... and some "talking heads" are high on this team.

I don't see it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i went to the panthers preseason game last night.... and the defense played better than it has in this preseason... but that offense, no matter if its Jake Delhomme or David Carr... is terrible!

i honestly see them with 10 losses this year.

including the beatdown we give them at Lambeau.

on that note... if your going by preseason (and you shouldnt) our schedule doesnt look near as tough as it did when we first saw it. weve got eagles chargers and broncos... and i think the rest of the teams are beatable. or at least not as good as some pundits would have you believe.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping for Labrandon Toefield from Jacksonville but they could keep him.

Mike Bell of Denver would be a nice pickup to if he gets waived.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could definately see us bringing in another RB, TE, or Safety this weekend.

I just don't think that Wynn, Alcorn/Harris, or Peprah/Culver have done enough to guarantee themselves roster spots.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great Post Trom.

There are so many variables in this process. There will always be players who do not want to go to a small market, which hurts the Packers. There are also players out their who do not relish the idea of playing in the cold. The best of the wavier market free agents will also always want the best opportunity contribute.

All of these things come into play when a player has several opportunities to choose from. I think a great deal of fans do not consider these factors when they ***** about who we got and who we did not get.

The best thing a team can do overcome these challenges is to build smart, become a Super Bowl contender.... The lure of the ring will be too strong to overcome for many, and that will allow a good team to really sharpen the dull edges with key free agent pick ups.

I think Brett has been a major force over his career in bringing players to Green Bay. Just the opportunity to play with him has swayed so many free agents.

There is a great deal that goes into what the GM can accomplish, and sometimes we as fans need to factor this in.

R.P.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I just love this time of year!

It's like the free agency we never had. :)

Yep and on a small budget... so does that mean we will be active? :razz:

Picking up players at this point is kind of a two edged sword.

On the one hand, it's an opportunity to pick up players that have some talent but just got caught up in a numbers gave with the team that drafted/signed them. It's also an opportunity to get someone that you really liked but just missed out on in the draft or free agency.

On the other hand, signing players at this point is kind of a concession that your talent level is below that of the team that released them. And, that you need improvement on your roster so bad you're willing to put up with the 3-4 weeks of non-productivity it'll take for the new player to learn the scheme.

But to answer your question Pack93z, my guess is that yes, we'll be active. As long as it doesn't cost us any draft picks.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Lare said:
I just love this time of year!

It's like the free agency we never had. :)

Yep and on a small budget... so does that mean we will be active? :razz:

Picking up players at this point is kind of a two edged sword.

On the one hand, it's an opportunity to pick up players that have some talent but just got caught up in a numbers gave with the team that drafted/signed them. It's also an opportunity to get someone that you really liked but just missed out on in the draft or free agency.

On the other hand, signing players at this point is kind of a concession that your talent level is below that of the team that released them. And, that you need improvement on your roster so bad you're willing to put up with the 3-4 weeks of non-productivity it'll take for the new player to learn the scheme.

But to answer your question Pack93z, my guess is that yes, we'll be active. As long as it doesn't cost us any draft picks.

I'm pretty sure whoever we get(if anyone) won't be a starter. an RB will be added to the rotation, sure, but behind BJack and Mo, and even Herron(at least right away).

I'm pretty sure teams arent worried about signing people and thinking "Oh no, people will think WE think we are weak at this position!" I'm pretty sure they don't give a flying **** about that, just the W's.

There aren't many teams in the NFL that are STACKED at EVERY position on their team, with backups who can START at every position if needed.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who we'll get if anyone, but since this is something like FA I expect to be disappointed by TT, whether by inaction or his action. He'll simply refuse to give up ANY draft pick even if a good player might be added. I'd be hard-pressed to name any other GM with his love of picks. Rather odd considering how much of a crap-shoot the draft is.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's not the way I see it. I would expect that out of the 31 other teams, some of them would have certain position groups where they have more talent at the bottom of the roster than you do. For example, I would expect that this year there is at least one team whose fourth-best TE is better than our third best. The question is whether the difference is big enough to merit bringing in the new guy and giving him time to learn the system. Usually it is worth it because these bottom-tier players on the roster don't play much, and several of them don't even suit up for games. In the long run, upgrading your talent is always a good thing.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who we'll get if anyone, but since this is something like FA I expect to be disappointed by TT, whether by inaction or his action. He'll simply refuse to give up ANY draft pick even if a good player might be added. I'd be hard-pressed to name any other GM with his love of picks. Rather odd considering how much of a crap-shoot the draft is.

The whole premise of this thread is that Thompson has been pretty active in signing players off waivers and has had some success with it. I don't know why you expect that to suddenly change. Not a whole lot of teams give up draft picks for players who are just about to be waived, anyway. Instead, teams will just swap players who were each going to be released. That saves both teams the risk of having the player they want sign elsewhere. Each team gives up a player it cannot use, and gains a player who can contribute. A win-win situation.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer should sign Ciatrick Fason

After drafting Peterson it looks like Fason is going to be the odd man out. I don't know how Childress can justify keeping Pinner over him, but he would be better than any back the Packers would have now.