Who will make the big play?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Sunday somebody on the outside is going to have to come up with a big play or two. I think the Phins will probably put a safety up in the box to stop the run, because of our wideout situation. We need someone to finally take advantage of this and get deep down the seam. The middle of the field HAS to be open for some big plays.

Which of our WR/TE's will exploit this. I think Bubba will be asked to stay in and help block Jason Taylor, besides he has trouble beating anybody down the field. I think it will have to be David Martin. Who knows ...maybe Ruvell will draw little attention and get lost down the middle. I can't remember the last time we beat somebody deep down the middle.

Reaction score
Perhaps Morency, who has shown burst and can turn a run up the middle into something more?

For WR's, I'd have to say I hope it's Driver. My money is on Jennings, with Martin using his blend of speed and size might step up. It'd be welcome big time.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
What ever happened to the promise the Lee had soon and this year very little from him.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ever happened to the promise the Lee had soon and this year very little from him.

Yeah, he's just not getting onto the field. I think it's because McCarthy likes to shift his tight ends into the fullback position, which is not something that Lee is suited for. He's definitely been underutilized.

If someone is going to make a big play down the middle, or a few big plays down the middle, David Martin is the guy. He is YEARS overdue to have a big game, though he did have several catches in one game this year, I think it was against New Orleans.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant believe nobody has mentoined David Martin yet on this thread!

As most followers of the Sunday Night Play by Play commentary chat room will testify I am a huge believer in David's playmaking abilities. My faith is durable enough that after a season's high performance against the Saints where Martin came up with a number of huge plays I christened him "the Clutchmeister" for his prowess at moving the chains on those tricky third down situations.

so in summation, David Martin = Clutch. :thumbsup:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most followers of the Sunday Night Play by Play commentary chat room will testify I am a huge believer in David's playmaking abilities.

I christened him "the Clutchmeister"

thats true. good times.

Martin has been better than Lee and maybe even Franks this year...kinda odd.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Phins will probably put a safety up in the box to stop the run, because of our wideout situation.

Miami #10 run defense
GB #27 run offense

I don't believe that they will adjust their defense much to cope with the threat of GB run offense. No matter who Favre is throwing to, they need to make sure that he doesn't get off to a good passing start.

GB big play to spark a win? A Harris bounces back with 2 INT's, one for a TD. He is due.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Sunday somebody on the outside is going to have to come up with a big play or two. I think the Phins will probably put a safety up in the box to stop the run, because of our wideout situation. We need someone to finally take advantage of this and get deep down the seam. The middle of the field HAS to be open for some big plays.

Which of our WR/TE's will exploit this. I think Bubba will be asked to stay in and help block Jason Taylor, besides he has trouble beating anybody down the field. I think it will have to be David Martin. Who knows ...maybe Ruvell will draw little attention and get lost down the middle. I can't remember the last time we beat somebody deep down the middle.

THE big play? There's going to be a lot more than one big play, and Greg Jennings will have the most. :packbeer:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are running two TE sets then it will be Lee who will be making the bigger routes downfield, he could have a good day alright.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see AJ make at least one play this year. Maybe it'll be this game. Who knows?

Heh. forgot about defense. Maybe this is when Kampman sacks, forces a fumble, recovers a fumble, and returns it for a TD. :beer:

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't blame you. For the last few years the phrases "Green Bay defense" and "big play" haven't occurred in the same sentence very often...

I say Dendy steps up and has a good game. He may even start if Woodson can't go. I look for Jennings to make a big play or two, also.

And just maybe... Green comes back to form and rattles off 120 or so.

bigdave

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This may be a good week for Favre, but Brady had his troubles with us. Our secondary is our achilles heel ... especially our safeties. Favre has a chance to get the ball deep on us if he has the time. Our front 7 does a good job of putting pressure on the quarterback with various blitz packages, so, it disguises our weakness at times. Still, Favre is one of the few quarterbacks who can expose the blitz.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

This may be a good week for Favre, but Brady had his troubles with us. Our secondary is our achilles heel ... especially our safeties. Favre has a chance to get the ball deep on us if he has the time. Our front 7 does a good job of putting pressure on the quarterback with various blitz packages, so, it disguises our weakness at times. Still, Favre is one of the few quarterbacks who can expose the blitz.

I agree. Miami's "D" is pretty stout overall. It's their offense that is struggling. I don't see any huge day coming rushing the ball. The 'Phins are very good against the run.

We're probably going to have to keep the TE blocking package in to protect Favre and hope we get some guys loose. AG might break a good one if we hit a screen on the right blitz package.

Staff online

Members online