Who Will Deliver First Loss To 2012 Packers?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Really? You would ignore opening night on National TV in your own backyard against a team that may challenge you for the NFC Championship? That makes absolutely no sense to me. You want to do everything you can to get off to a good start. The game you play today is the most important, and I would be disappointed if the Packers looked beyond it.

What you wrote might be just what McCarthy thinks. But *I* can't help thinking they are concerned about winning the division first. SF in the playoffs doesn't matter if you don't first win the division. So they have a dilemma. Thanks to the scheduling geniuses in the NFL, the Packers barely have time to recuperate from the first game until they have to turn around and play against another very physical opponent. Considering, a lot of NFL players said it takes two days to get over basic soreness from one game, what does that leave for preparation for the Bears?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
some of you who are doubting the 49ers winning are also forgetting about how good their pass rush is and how weak our left side is. They will exploit that weakness.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you wrote might be just what McCarthy thinks. But *I* can't help thinking they are concerned about winning the division first. SF in the playoffs doesn't matter if you don't first win the division. So they have a dilemma. Thanks to the scheduling geniuses in the NFL, the Packers barely have time to recuperate from the first game until they have to turn around and play against another very physical opponent. Considering, a lot of NFL players said it takes two days to get over basic soreness from one game, what does that leave for preparation for the Bears?

You have made a better case for losing to the Bears than the 9ers. As far as the preparation of the coaching staff I bet they are working on the Bear game plan as we speak. Winning the division is important but having the best overall record is too. btw, you don't have to win the division to be a playoff team.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You have made a better case for losing to the Bears than the 9ers. As far as the preparation of the coaching staff I bet they are working on the Bear game plan as we speak. Winning the division is important but having the best overall record is too. btw, you don't have to win the division to be a playoff team.

I'm thinking the NFC East is going to be more competitive this year. Can't rule out wild card contenders in the South and West either. Coming in second in the North isn't a lock this year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking the NFC East is going to be more competitive this year. Can't rule out wild card contenders in the South and West either. Coming in second in the North isn't a lock this year.

We're getting off track here as to who we lose to first and your reasoning it will be the niners. Yes the competition is keen. That's why you have to play every game to win. In the end what gets you into the playoffs is having enough.

In answer to your question about the 4 day in between and and the toll on the bodies of the players it is more reason to me for the Packers to try and win against SF. I don't think you believe we should rest our players against SF.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
We're getting off track here as to who we lose to first and your reasoning it will be the niners. Yes the competition is keen. That's why you have to play every game to win. In the end what gets you into the playoffs is having enough.

In answer to your question about the 4 day in between and and the toll on the bodies of the players it is more reason to me for the Packers to try and win against SF. I don't think you believe we should rest our players against SF.

No, I don't think they'll rest them. They will play to win. I think their preparation for the Niners isn't as detailed as for the Bears. In fact I think they've already been practicing against Bear sets
Thus less prep for the Noners make them more susceptible. IMO.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't think they'll rest them. They will play to win. I think their preparation for the Niners isn't as detailed as for the Bears. In fact I think they've already been practicing against Bear sets
Thus less prep for the Noners make them more susceptible. IMO.

So the coaching staff has scaled back it's preparation for the 49 ers and are saving all for the Bears? Just a half hearted effort by them for the Whiners. ROTFLMAO!:roflmao:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
So the coaching staff has scaled back it's preparation for the 49 ers and are saving all for the Bears? Just a half hearted effort by them for the Whiners. ROTFLMAO!:roflmao:
Yep, no chance of that. The most important game is your next one.The Packers know the Bears also. I'm sure they've all kinds of wrinkles are in the cards for the Bears' game but no chance they are looking past the 9ers.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I'm picking us to lose opening weekend against the Niners.
No, that doesn't really mean anything. There are 16 regular season games. One loss will not make or break us for the entire year. Heck, it might even help us. We've seen plenty of teams including us a few years ago, start the season struggling and get hot at the end of the year.

I think at the very least, it would be a splash of water in the face to our guy's reminding us it's not last year and wins do not usually come that easy or often. All the other teams are improving and working hard and we have too also.

As far as people saying "Oh, you never expect the one's they lose. Like the KC game last year, nobody expected that" Yes, in fact I did predict that. Even after KC had all their injuries at the start of the year, I figured they'd of figured out their injuries by then and guys would have either gotten healthy or other guys would have stepped up. Also I stuck by that pick the week of the game because of the coaching change and the new energy with that team and Romeo Crennell. Admittedly, I also picked us to lose to DET and NYG also which didn't turn out but were very close games that came down to the last drives.

Not that I don't want us to win every game. But come on, I realize it's impossible to make that happen without Matt Flynn. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

While it is reasonable to expect some work is being done on the Bears on the scouting side, you'd have to believe much more effort will be put into SF the week leading up to that game. Game week preparation is chiefly about getting the PLAYERS prepared with a game plan...if you're trying to stuff their heads with info about 2 teams simultaneously, regardless of the ratio, all you'll get is divided focus...the mental bandwidth generally won't be there for that kind of approach, especially among the younger players. Putting premature emphasis on the Bears game has a good chance of earning you two losses. I don't think I'd want to even whisper the word "Bears" to any player other than Rodgers or Woodson during the SF week preparation.

If the suggestion is we don't prepare for SF at all to avoid the focus problem, that is of course entirely out of the question. For that one week, it's 100% about beating SF in OUR house.

Further, putting a priority on winning Division games doesn't make a lot of sense. To state the obvious, when the season is over they add up ALL the wins and losses to see who gets Division bragging rights, not the record in the Division. Division wins have only marginal additional value...in the tie breaker after head-to-head....not enough value in it to look past ANY opponent. The best way to avoid tie breakers is to thoroughly prepare for every game with the intent of winning every game.

While the Pack's preparation week is short for the Bears, so is the Bears' preparation week. The key is which team makes the most effective use of the limited time.

Last season MM has downplayed winning the Division as a goal. I believe him chiefly because it is true...winning the Division is a byproduct of winning, not a goal. The goal is winning each game, one at a time.

I think the priority on beating Division rivals over other teams is a fan and media thing. It gives the media something to hype and it gives fans bragging rights over fans of other Division fans at work or on forums...fuel for or a defense against trash talking.

Getting all worked about beating Division rivals as a priority over others is the province of weaker teams who are out of the playoffs and looking for a consolation prize.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
While it is reasonable to expect some work is being done on the Bears on the scouting side, you'd have to believe much more effort will be put into SF the week leading up to that game. Game week preparation is chiefly about getting the PLAYERS prepared with a game plan...if you're trying to stuff their heads with info about 2 teams simultaneously, regardless of the ratio, all you'll get is divided focus...the mental bandwidth generally won't be there for that kind of approach, especially among the younger players. Putting premature emphasis on the Bears game has a good chance of earning you two losses. I don't think I'd want to even whisper the word "Bears" to any player other than Rodgers or Woodson during the SF week preparation.

If the suggestion is we don't prepare for SF at all to avoid the focus problem, that is of course entirely out of the question. For that one week, it's 100% about beating SF in OUR house.

Further, putting a priority on winning Division games doesn't make a lot of sense. To state the obvious, when the season is over they add up ALL the wins and losses to see who gets Division bragging rights, not the record in the Division. Division wins have only marginal additional value...in the tie breaker after head-to-head....not enough value in it to look past ANY opponent. The best way to avoid tie breakers is to thoroughly prepare for every game with the intent of winning every game.

While the Pack's preparation week is short for the Bears, so is the Bears' preparation week. The key is which team makes the most effective use of the limited time.

Last season MM has downplayed winning the Division as a goal. I believe him chiefly because it is true...winning the Division is a byproduct of winning, not a goal. The goal is winning each game, one at a time.

I think the priority on beating Division rivals over other teams is a fan and media thing. It gives the media something to hype and it gives fans bragging rights over fans of other Division fans at work or on forums...fuel for or a defense against trash talking.

Getting all worked about beating Division rivals as a priority over others is the province of weaker teams who are out of the playoffs and looking for a consolation prize.

You make many cogent points. But being a fan since 1959, I would think you'd be aware of the importance of the Bears game. After all, Lovie Smith was supposedly hired for one reason; to beat the Packers. Don't underestimate the importance of the GB/Chi rivalry.

In past years, as you mentioned McCarthy has game planned a couple weeks in advance when they face a shortened schedule. That's why I pointed out the Bears preparation cutting into the Niners prep. But you have a lot of good points, though I still think the Pack will lose to the Niners and handle the Bears effectively.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In past years, as you mentioned McCarthy has game planned a couple weeks in advance when they face a shortened schedule. That's why I pointed out the Bears preparation cutting into the Niners prep.
There's no doubt that the Packers prep early for games when they have shortened weeks, but unless you provide some statistical data that clearly shows that the Packers lose the prior games....then you're argument is baseless.

Rodgers in the House said:
You guys are seriously overrating Alex Smith. Eli has our number until proven otherwise.
I don't think that anyone is rating Alex Smith that high. To me he is a Trent Dilfer type that rarely is the difference maker in the game, but has an incredible supporting cast. San Francisco has an outstanding defense, a strong running game, and a good receiving corps featuring Vernon Davis and Crabtree. The 49ers are a really good team, one that went further in the playoffs than our beloved Packers last season!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
There's no doubt that the Packers prep early for games when they have shortened weeks, but unless you provide some statistical data that clearly shows that the Packers lose the prior games....then you're argument is baseless.

I don't think that anyone is rating Alex Smith that high. To me he is a Trent Dilfer type that rarely is the difference maker in the game, but has an incredible supporting cast. San Francisco has an outstanding defense, a strong running game, and a good receiving corps featuring Vernon Davis and Crabtree. The 49ers are a really good team, one that went further in the playoffs than our beloved Packers last season!

I don't like "statistical data". It can be twisted however one wishes. Just look at the tripe on CHFF. My "basis" is simply my opinion. I'm not claiming anything more than that. I think Smith will do better with a better supporting cast.

H

HardRightEdge

You make many cogent points. But being a fan since 1959, I would think you'd be aware of the importance of the Bears game. After all, Lovie Smith was supposedly hired for one reason; to beat the Packers. Don't underestimate the importance of the GB/Chi rivalry.

In past years, as you mentioned McCarthy has game planned a couple weeks in advance when they face a shortened schedule. That's why I pointed out the Bears preparation cutting into the Niners prep. But you have a lot of good points, though I still think the Pack will lose to the Niners and handle the Bears effectively.

Of course I'm aware of the weight placed on the Bears rivalry by the media and fans. It just happens to be my opinion that the touted importance of those games is misplaced. Now, whatever anybody might say to get the players and fans juiced up for ANY game is a good thing. So if the rivalry stuff works for those two games each year, go for it.

Personally, what gets my blood rising is any game against whoever happens to be a fellow contender for the title that season, that game. If it happens to be the Bears, so be it. If we happened to lose two to the Bears and win the Superbowl, the championship would be in no way diminished...I could care less. Were a Bears fan to say, "we beat you twice...ergo we are the true champions" no reply is necessary unless you'd be inclined to laugh in his face.

Lovie's stated objective last season was "beat Green Bay." Maybe if the mind set was "win enough games to make the playoffs" he might have had better success...well, probably not with the personnel on the field but it would be a start.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, 19 and 0 is possible. I don't see a loss unless we beat ourselves like we did with the turnovers against the Giants in our last loss.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On this date of Monday, August 27th at 6:27 on a beautiful summer evening Shawn D. Hoeft predicted the Packers lose their opening game against the San Francisco 49'ers. Let it be known in the records and books and record books.
Hate to say I told you so, But umm. I told you so.

Not that I wanted it to happen.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see San Francisco winning at our place in Week 1. I'm picking the Packers 31-20 for that one. I actually think we're better than last year. I don't see us losing more than 2 games and the first will probably come against someone like the Rams.

oooops...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As far as people saying "Oh, you never expect the one's they lose. Like the KC game last year, nobody expected that" Yes, in fact I did predict that. Even after KC had all their injuries at the start of the year, I figured they'd of figured out their injuries by then and guys would have either gotten healthy or other guys would have stepped up. Also I stuck by that pick the week of the game because of the coaching change and the new energy with that team and Romeo Crennell. Admittedly, I also picked us to lose to DET and NYG also which didn't turn out but were very close games that came down to the last drives.;)
Did you make that KC loss prediction on this forum?
Can I beg you to predict the rest of the Packers season this year? I for one didn't see the KC game as a loss so it will help me in my future predictions. I know you have us going 0-4 to start. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Anxiously awaiting your prognostications,
Dev

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I saw this lose coming from a mile away. I too predicted this one.

I think it's a good thing to get that out of the way. Now we can go in all pissed off at the bears and take it out on them.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a good thing to get that out of the way. Now we can go in all pissed off at the bears and take it out on them.
Agreed. That's why I started this thread in the first place. We will find out what kind of team we have pretty quick. I never mind losing to a good team like the 49ers. Losing to a lesser team would be a true letdown.

Members online

Latest posts