WHO WILL BE STARTING RB FOR PACK?

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP HAT: With minicamp and training camps coming, the Packer nation is asking, "Who will be the starting RB for the Pack in the coming season?"

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=132600&ntpid=2

Packers: Starting RB job stirs six-pack JASON WILDE

The way Mike McCarthy sees it, the Green Bay Packers' lack of experience and proven depth at running back isn't a problem. "I'm not concerned, I've just got work to do," McCarthy said Sunday afternoon after the final practice of the team's three-day rookie orientation camp. "That's the way I view it. It's my responsibility to get them ready to play, and that's our focus." That work will begin in earnest when the team reconvenes for its three-day, full-squad mandatory minicamp May 18.
That's when the six-pack of possible starters - holdovers Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope and Arliss Beach and rookie draft picks Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn - should all be on the field together, kicking off a competition that will continue through the organized team activity workouts in June and training camp, which starts in late July.
"Obviously, everybody will be watching. But I think that it'll sort itself out," said McCarthy, whose team lost four-time Pro Bowl halfback Ahman Green, who signed a four-year, $23 million free agent deal ($6.5 million in guaranteed money and about $8 million in 2007 pay) with the Houston Texans in March. "No one in that group has been 'The Guy' before at this level. And you never know until you put those guys in that position. I think it's going to be a very competitive group."
Morency, who carried 96 times for 434 yards and two touchdowns last season after coming over from the Texans in the Samkon Gado trade, is the leading candidate to replace the franchise's second-leading, all-time rusher. But Jackson took a small step toward competing with Morency with a solid rookie orientation camp.
"It's very exciting for me to come in here and even have the chance to compete with these guys to start. I would love to be the starter here, but I know there's a lot of hard work (ahead)," Jackson said. "I know what I have to do to get on the field and play, but it's going to take a lot more to get out there and be the starter." A second-round pick from Nebraska, the 5-foot-10, 212-pound Jackson rushed for 989 yards and eight TDs on 188 carries as a junior last season while also catching 33 passes for 313 yards and two more TDs. He made a good first impression on McCarthy with his quickness. "He definitely has the quick feet and the explosiveness that we saw on film," McCarthy said. "I think he has the ability to be a playmaker from that position."
Wynn, a seventh-round pick from Florida, didn't make the same good impression, suffering a strained left calf during Friday's practice and sitting out the final two workouts. While McCarthy didn't think the missed time was catastrophic for Wynn - he still got quality classroom time and took part in walk-throughs inside the gym - it certainly didn't help him. "He didn't have the opportunity to progress as much as everybody else," said McCarthy, who expects Wynn to return for the minicamp. "The minicamp that's coming up, there's only so many reps for the young guys. (And) you just had three days of reps that were clearly for the young guys. So any young guy misses those reps, he obviously did not take advantage of his opportunity." There's also the matter of character risk associated with Wynn, who despite rushing for 630 yards in 10 starts for the national champion Gators last season fell to the seventh round of the draft because of his reputation for being lazy and undisciplined.
"I think it's important to give an individual a clean slate, regardless of what you heard or you think you know about that individual," McCarthy said. "Unfortunately, he suffered the injury. But there's obviously a lot of positives we saw about the young man. That's why he's here. That's what we'll focus on." For his part, Wynn used the same term - "clean slate" - and claimed his problems at Florida were exaggerated. "'Troublemaker' is (one) knock I had on me. 'Not a hard worker,' (is another)," Wynn said. "I'm here on a clean slate. I'm looking forward to making my own name here in Green Bay. "I see it as a great opportunity, with there being so many young backs on the depth chart. Just a lot of competition. It's going to be interesting."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks Jackson can handle the load.

I just have a really good feeling about this guy. I'm casting my lot right now- BJack will be the starter, and will be in the top ten in the league production-wise.

Yes, y'all can quote me on that, whether I end up right or wrong....

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks Jackson can handle the load.

I just have a really good feeling about this guy. I'm casting my lot right now- BJack will be the starter, and will be in the top ten in the league production-wise.

Yes, y'all can quote me on that, whether I end up right or wrong....

wouldn't that be great if we struck gold with this kid? when is the last time we took a RB in the second anyway?

p.s. i just quoted you.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wouldn't that be great if we struck gold with this kid? when is the last time we took a RB in the second anyway?

p.s. i just quoted you.

Nice. :D

I think he's a great fit for our scheme, as long as the ZBS actually works out this season with our linemen, which should be one of the biggest things to watch this offseason and early on in the regular season.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SPOTLIGHT: MORENCY

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/642846.html

Morency’s experience a big advantage By Todd Korth

Vernand Morency took time after his morning workout today to speak with PackerReport.com managing editor Todd Korth about his preparation for the upcoming season. Morency, who will be featured in the upcoming issue of Packer Report magazine, seems ready as ever to take over for the departed Ahman Green.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted for the Jackson/Morency committee. And props for putting together a great poll, it's designed very well (good options = good accuracy).

As I envision it, Jackson is better suited to come out first. He's shifty, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and has an underrated burst. He will get the defense guessing. Morency comes in as a change of pace back and blows by the defenders who are waiting to see what cut or stop/start move the RB will make.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo voted for P.J. Pope because he has a cool name. :thumbsup:

The kid has talent also, he will be a big part of 3rd down and passing situations, mark my word, exceptional hands and a great blocker,

I keep saying it, I'll say it again P.J. Pope is going to be the surprise of the 2007 pre-season. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, honestly, I think anyone could take the job. Morency seems slightly ahead because of his experience. But seriously, RB is such an easy position to fill, I am not too worried. Samkon Gado is the perfect example of how anyone can step up at RB. You don't see that at other positions in the game.

Reaction score
Good point gopackgo...

I expect Jackson to start before the year is up, but the first few weeks of the season I think Morency is the guy.

I don't think that is a bad thing either because even more-so than Jackson, I see Morency as THE prototypical back in a Zone Blocking scheme.

Morency is hitting his prime now (he's 27), has a full off-season under his belt where he can get familiar with the plays AND participate in the strength and conditioning program that seemed to pay dividends injury wise last year.

I think Morency starts season as RB, so VM gets my vote.

Members online

Latest posts