Who will be attending the game in San Francisco?

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard several times that 49ers fans are ******, so like we have done in the past I was wondering who will be attending or tailgating Saturday afternoon so we can meet up. I'm driving up from So. Cal and should be in the parking lot around 2pm PST.

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is just like any NFL stadium. Most fans are polite; however, a lot of people drink too much, some are obnoxious and there are a handful of really bad fans. Our seats have been in the family since 1980 and most of the people who sit next to us are season ticket holders. I have never once seen a single problem in our section. But last year, during the Raiders preseason game, I saw a lot of fights in other sections.

The fact is, as someone who is not a season ticket holder, you will likely be getting the crummy seats near other 49ers fans that are not season ticket holders, and I suspect there is more probability of bad behavior in those areas.

For instance, I am looking on stub hub and the tickets in our section are about $500-700 per seat whereas the tickets near the end zone are less than $300, probably because a lot of them are owned by ticket brokers. I suspect that if there are areas of the stadium that experience trouble, those are it.

I have never seen anyone from the other team get severely harassed, and after the Raiders game, the amount of security in the parking lot is astronomical. Thanks to that incident, you have to go through metal detectors to get into the park and the SFPD comes en mass riding on their horses and motorcycles at kickoff to force everyone out of the parking lot.

So, to answer your question, usually you will not have any problems, but you might have the bad luck of sitting near a drunken idiot, so your mileage may vary, and the cheaper the seats, the more drunken idiots there are, just like any sports stadium in the world.

Just go to have a good time and if anyone hassles you, just turn and walk away or find one of the ridiculous numbers of SFPD officers that have patrolled the stadium since the last Raiders pre season game.

OP
OP
Wills29

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is just like any NFL stadium. Most fans are polite; however, a lot of people drink too much, some are obnoxious and there are a handful of really bad fans. Our seats have been in the family since 1980 and most of the people who sit next to us are season ticket holders. I have never once seen a single problem in our section. But last year, during the Raiders preseason game, I saw a lot of fights in other sections.

The fact is, as someone who is not a season ticket holder, you will likely be getting the crummy seats near other 49ers fans that are not season ticket holders, and I suspect there is more probability of bad behavior in those areas.

For instance, I am looking on stub hub and the tickets in our section are about $500-700 per seat whereas the tickets near the end zone are less than $300, probably because a lot of them are owned by ticket brokers. I suspect that if there are areas of the stadium that experience trouble, those are it.

I have never seen anyone from the other team get severely harassed, and after the Raiders game, the amount of security in the parking lot is astronomical. Thanks to that incident, you have to go through metal detectors to get into the park and the SFPD comes en mass riding on their horses and motorcycles at kickoff to force everyone out of the parking lot.

So, to answer your question, usually you will not have any problems, but you might have the bad luck of sitting near a drunken idiot, so your mileage may vary, and the cheaper the seats, the more drunken idiots there are, just like any sports stadium in the world.

Just go to have a good time and if anyone hassles you, just turn and walk away or find one of the ridiculous numbers of SFPD officers that have patrolled the stadium since the last Raiders pre season game.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I have been to enough Packers/Bears games in Chicago to know what its like to be the visitor in a place that doesn't like us. I knew Oakland was bad, but it was only recent that I heard 49ers were pretty rude as well. I recall all the fights last year between 49ers/Raiders so I assume SFPD is out in full force. We are seating in the end zone, so I guess it may be a bit worse. I don't mind the banter, but like you said it's the drunk idiots you have to watch out for. Thanks again for your comments.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the bears 9ers game this year and didnt see anything bad. A little jeering back n forth but for the most part it was fine.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard several times that 49ers fans are ******, so like we have done in the past I was wondering who will be attending or tailgating Saturday afternoon so we can meet up. I'm driving up from So. Cal and should be in the parking lot around 2pm PST.

The SFPD will be going undercover as Packers fans, as they did for the past 2 Giants games (regular season and playoffs).

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

We were going to go but things are not working out. I think most of your hassle might come after the game when all those disgruntled 9er's fans are pissed about losing. Have a great time.

DTrain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Candlestick Bum or any other San Franciscans.... I'll be staying near SFO in Burlingame. We're planning on taking the Burlingame Cal Train to BayShore Station and then walking 15-20 min (according to the 49ers website) to Candlestick. It's only $5 ... OR we could pay $45-$50 for a taxi one way. I did hear that the Bayshore station isn't the best neighborhoods, but I figured the crowds would deter any troublemakers away. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Candlestick Bum or any other San Franciscans.... I'll be staying near SFO in Burlingame. We're planning on taking the Burlingame Cal Train to BayShore Station and then walking 15-20 min (according to the 49ers website) to Candlestick. It's only $5 ... OR we could pay $45-$50 for a taxi one way. I did hear that the Bayshore station isn't the best neighborhoods, but I figured the crowds would deter any troublemakers away. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

MUNI offers shuttle buses from the Balboa Park BART station, but they are pretty expensive (I think about $12 for a round trip, don't really remember since I use my card), plus you have to pay for BART and Caltrain both ways (you can transfer between BART and Caltrain at the Milbrae station).

If you can get to BART easily though, I would probably go with that (it stops at the airport), since it can take over an hour to get out of the parking lot after the game ends and only MUNI buses bypass that. If you cannot get to BART easily though, it is three transfers, which might be a little much.

Alternatively, there seems to be a shuttle bus from the Bayshore station, but I don't know anything about that: http://www.rhythmshuttle.com/2012/03/candlestick-caltrain-shuttle/

Your other option would be to leave in the morning, take Caltrain to downtown San Francisco, hang out there for a few hours, and then take the T-line down to the Bayview and either walk about 10 minutes from the station to the Ball Park or transfer to the free shuttle bus.

If you want to walk, it is about a mile through a pretty bad neighborhood. You should be alright so long as you are good with directions. It is easy to get turned around out there, especially if you are trying to walk get back to the Caltrain station after a few drinks and your smart phone is not working because you have AT&T and there are 100,000 extra people trying to use the same cell tower.

But if you do want to walk, this is the way I would suggest:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=bayshore caltrain station&daddr=37.7100157,-122.3915223 to:candlestick park&hl=en&ll=37.707726,-122.391064&spn=0.014956,0.033023&sll=37.71124,-122.392952&sspn=0.014955,0.033023&geocode=FehmPwId2k20-CnBePIgKH-PgDE-olTYrQ-Z8g;Fb9oPwIdHnS0-Cnh0yQTLn-PgDFj1naXqQoThw;FTF3PwIdl420-CG3zpdaBejrjylng-MnMX-PgDG3zpdaBejrjw&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=h&z=16&via=1

The major caveat though, as previously mentioned, it might be hard to find your way back in the dark after a day of drinking.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do not walk. Pay the little extra and take a bus or cab. Seriously.

ashley1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are flying up Saturday morning from LA, and are staying Saturday night at an airport hotel too. I've done a fair bit of researching, and have just decided to rent a car and drive to the game. The total cost of the rental car is $35 from SFO. The parking is $30. But, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of public transportation. From what I have read, if you get there early on the BART and MUNI bus, it's great. However, it's getting back on the bus to the BART that takes forever because the buses are stuck in the same traffic that the cars are stuck in. So, we decided we'd rather be stuck in our warm rental car than on shuttle. We're planning on packing a cooler with some snacks, leaving it in the car during the game, and just sitting in the car and waiting out a bit of the traffic. We, too, are hoping that the jeering is friendly and good natured. We are really excited! Go Pack Go!

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are flying up Saturday morning from LA, and are staying Saturday night at an airport hotel too. I've done a fair bit of researching, and have just decided to rent a car and drive to the game. The total cost of the rental car is $35 from SFO. The parking is $30. But, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of public transportation. From what I have read, if you get there early on the BART and MUNI bus, it's great. However, it's getting back on the bus to the BART that takes forever because the buses are stuck in the same traffic that the cars are stuck in. So, we decided we'd rather be stuck in our warm rental car than on shuttle. We're planning on packing a cooler with some snacks, leaving it in the car during the game, and just sitting in the car and waiting out a bit of the traffic. We, too, are hoping that the jeering is friendly and good natured. We are really excited! Go Pack Go!

It can take a while to get on the bus back to BART, but then again, once you get on, that bus leaves and proceeds directly to the bus station and usually gets you there in 30 minutes or less.

On the other hand, sometimes it takes 45 minutes - 1 hour to get out of the parking lot if you are driving or stuck on a charter bus, and I suspect Saturday will be one of those days. Then, if you are taking the freeways, you can spend another 30-40 minutes trying to get on those, depending on how savy you are and which direction you are going. The biggest mistake people make is parking in the main lot and then trying to get on 101 south. Your average time to get to the South Bay can be more than three hours because of traffic.

When we used to drive there, we would just drink coffee and wait about 45 minutes to an hour before trying to leave the parking lot.

If you want to drive, I suggest parking in one of the outlying dirt lots by the bay, wearing running shoes, and sprinting the whole kilometer to your car once the game ends. Then, you might be able to beat most of the traffic.

OP
OP
Wills29

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We are leaving Santa Monica around 7:30am and driving up!! I was going to ask Candlestick bum about the parking situation but it looks like he already answered it. We are tailgating regardless!!

D

Dan115

We are leaving Santa Monica around 7:30am and driving up!! I was going to ask Candlestick bum about the parking situation but it looks like he already answered it. We are tailgating regardless!!

Bring back a victory!!!

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of us think that the management is doing their best to make the parking/public transit situation as miserable as possible in order to make the new stadium look like a Godsend and get people to pay ridiculous sums of money for seat licenses.

Parking is a mess, so you would think they would encourage people to take transit, but they don't. You would think they would set up picnic tables and other amenities for those who want to tailgate but don't want to drive, yet the only places to eat are inside the park, forcing you to go in early (and leave your alcohol behind) if you want to use one of the handful of tables they have set up.

The one grassy area near the stadium we used to hang out at before the games was fenced off two years ago. The olive trees were removed. They now confiscate beer at the gates to the main parking lot, so if you walk to the park you have to be sneaky and get by the minimum wage gate guards if you want to bring alcohol.

We do what we can. We lay claim to the little patch of grass they could not fence off. We bring our own beer and sneak in our own flasks. In another year, people who payed $100,000 to buy their seats will get the privilege of paying $500 a ticket to go to games 50 miles out in the suburbs. I am sure the parking situation will be better and they will have better amenities for transit users.

Unless you manage to get out fast, I would just wait at least a half hour f0r traffic to get lighter. You won't lose much time and it will give you a chance to sober up.

OP
OP
Wills29

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of us think that the management is doing their best to make the parking/public transit situation as miserable as possible in order to make the new stadium look like a Godsend and get people to pay ridiculous sums of money for seat licenses.

Parking is a mess, so you would think they would encourage people to take transit, but they don't. You would think they would set up picnic tables and other amenities for those who want to tailgate but don't want to drive, yet the only places to eat are inside the park, forcing you to go in early (and leave your alcohol behind) if you want to use one of the handful of tables they have set up.

The one grassy area near the stadium we used to hang out at before the games was fenced off two years ago. The olive trees were removed. They now confiscate beer at the gates to the main parking lot, so if you walk to the park you have to be sneaky and get by the minimum wage gate guards if you want to bring alcohol.

We do what we can. We lay claim to the little patch of grass they could not fence off. We bring our own beer and sneak in our own flasks. In another year, people who payed $100,000 to buy their seats will get the privilege of paying $500 a ticket to go to games 50 miles out in the suburbs. I am sure the parking situation will be better and they will have better amenities for transit users.

Unless you manage to get out fast, I would just wait at least a half hour f0r traffic to get lighter. You won't lose much time and it will give you a chance to sober up.

Sounds like this should be a memorable experience! I think it's safe to say that we will be drinking in the parking lot after the game and let the traffic clear out a little bit. Thanks again for all the info you have provided us.

CheeseheadDarrell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like this should be a memorable experience! I think it's safe to say that we will be drinking in the parking lot after the game and let the traffic clear out a little bit. Thanks again for all the info you have provided us.
I drove up from so cal today. Staying downtown and plan on hitting packer bar or party and taking the bus to and from the game. I've been wondering if I should drive the 8 mi to game. Told by hotel to take the 79 bus 12 bucks each way and bus lane misses traffic. Hey always looking for pack fans to hook up with and have fun. I heard zeke's is place to be before the game or meet you in parking lot spot too. Go pack go

OP
OP
Wills29

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I drove up from so cal today. Staying downtown and plan on hitting packer bar or party and taking the bus to and from the game. I've been wondering if I should drive the 8 mi to game. Told by hotel to take the 79 bus 12 bucks each way and bus lane misses traffic. Hey always looking for pack fans to hook up with and have fun. I heard zeke's is place to be before the game or meet you in parking lot spot too. Go pack go

Did you take the 5 up? I'm a bit worried about the Grapevine and was curious how it was. I'll check the weather traffic before we leave but may take the 101 to be safe. We are headed straight to the parking lots, so if you decide to head there instead of Zeke's let me know on here and hopefully we could catch up.

CheeseheadDarrell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you take the 5 up? I'm a bit worried about the Grapevine and was curious how it was. I'll check the weather traffic before we leave but may take the 101 to be safe. We are headed straight to the parking lots, so if you decide to head there instead of Zeke's let me know on here and hopefully we could catch up.

CheeseheadDarrell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya took 5 but left late to avoid LA traffic. Grapevine was closed till 9 today I heard. Roads were great though. Check status if you go 5 buy 101 is safer bet. Ya will see how the day goes and might just go to parking lot. I have my 20 yr daughter with me so they prob will not let her in zeke's.

OP
OP
Wills29

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya took 5 but left late to avoid LA traffic. Grapevine was closed till 9 today I heard. Roads were great though. Check status if you go 5 buy 101 is safer bet. Ya will see how the day goes and might just go to parking lot. I have my 20 yr daughter with me so they prob will not let her in zeke's.

Cool, let me know. I'll be checking this periodically on the way up.

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I lived downtown, I would probably walk the five blocks to third street and take the T-train home, because I am cheap (it is only $2), and because it is probably just as fast if not faster than paying $12 for the special bus and waiting at the park for 10-30 minutes to crowd onto it.

Members online

Latest posts