1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Who was the best 7th Round Draft Pick Ever???

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by irishpacker, Mar 2, 2008.

1. irishpacker

irishpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Best 7th Round (or lower) Draft pick ever?

Suggstions:
    - Donald Driver - 1999 / Round: 7 / Pick: 213
    - Doug Flutie - 1985 / Round: 11 / Pick: 285

you're opinion???

2. Mortfini

Mortfini Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    tom brady Round 6 pick no 199
    Marques Colston 7th round pick 252

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's funny how many later round picks end up being gems.
    Just like how many 1st rounders end up as garbage. (Tony Manderich anyone?) :wink:

4. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Funny thing is years ago.. there were gems later than the 7th round..

5. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Bart Starr was drafted in the really late rounds.

6. irishpacker

irishpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Why is that? It seems to happen very often in the NFL. A guy who is amazing at college level can't handle it in the Pro's.... Why?

7. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, with college you've got elite players playing against other college players that are not so good. In the NFL - everyone is the best of the best. Some guys never learn to play at that level and tail off. I think that might be part of it.

Whenever this comes up, I always think of Peter Warrick, the all-world wide receiver at FSU. He was lights out fantastic at FSU, but in the pros, he was just a guy. He could never take his game to a level that pro football requires.

8. irishpacker

irishpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    forgive my ignorance, but as far as I understand it, after college, if you are not good enough to play in the NFL, you will most likely never play again. I mean, there is no "club" system in america, like each town has its own football club.

I know there is the arena league, but it seems like if you are in your 30's say and just want to play football on a sunday, you cant... I dont understand this at all!!! Its like, if you're not really good, you're not allowe play!? Am i right?

9. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. The NFL Europe and the Canadian Football League are for those guys that did great in college ball but couldnt hack the pros. Too bad there arent more "backyard football" leagues that are for us regular folks

10. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Over here, the closest to a club type system would be High school. But, that's about it. I know that some places have a for fun type system where people will get together on a weekend and play, but usually nothing serious. A lot of work places have softball leagues, and some of those are serious.

I see what you mean though. There's no amateur type teams for each town in America. That would be a cool idea.

11. irishpacker

irishpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My mind cant understand that at all!

Ireland.. and pretty much the rest of Europe, every single town has either a soccer team, a rugby club, GAA hurling, etc... It's a community thing. Doesn't matter how good or old and fat you are, you can still train after work during the week and kick some *** at the weekend!

That doesn't seem to exist in the USa! Its almost like you prefere to watch than play sports! MADNESSS!!!!

12. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Starr was taken in the 15th round I believe.

13. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bart was taken in the 17th round of the 1956 draft.
    He is my pick in answer to the question.

14. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes I think it is that they are overhyped in college due to inferior talent and sometimes I think it is the money factor. I find it funny that a lot of great NFL talent come from small US Colleges. Getting paid so much as a rookie probably hurts them as well.

I am a die hard Flutie fan so I will go with Flutie. Probably never should of came up here to Canada to play in the first place based on his winning percentage, but God love him for doing so. He is the only Non-Canadian in the Canadian Sports Hall Of Fame I believe. Absolute legend up here in Canuckland.

Jeff Garcia andWarren Moon were never drafted so they are pretty good choices, and also CFL legends. :)

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There are semi-pro leagues. The Arena League is one of them.

16. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To add to Zombieslayer's statement....anyone remember the Sheboygan Redwings and Manitowoc Chiefs? They played in some sort of semi-pro league and I believe the players got paid a small amount plus travel money.
    There is a semi-pro league around the Rocky Mts here. Missoula has a team...the Phoenix, and they aren't to bad. Several good college players that would never make the pros. Heck, last year their best receiver was 41 years old.