1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

who thinks

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by gopackgo4, Feb 16, 2006.

1. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not anywhere near cool enough to drive a 13 speed. I've only been driving for 4 years so maybe someday I'll be that cool. My dad drives an 18 speed though. He's the man. Of course, while fighting Detroit traffic the fewer gears you have to shift, the better. Now we just need a truck driver emoticon. Have the smiley shifting gears or pulling an air horn!! :D

2. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    10-4, big3! sounds good to me!! how bout it ryan?? we need a shout out for the truckers on the site!! :wink:

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    There are bad guys lol ... you would hate Gordon and Johnson! w00t ... so do i! they always say the 'right' things annoys the crap out of me... thats why I like Stewart and Earnhardt JR they speak their mind no matter who is listening.

4. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    just for your information, gpg4, many of the drivers are NOT from the south. in fact, a few are from the great state of Wisconsin!!!! go nascar!!

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Matt Kenseth.....he's the only one i know.
    I know alot of people enjoy it, so i don't knock it. If it makes you happy, enjoy it!

6. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    OK Fine watch your damn nascar but somebody please tell me some legit reasons it takes athleticism for it to be a sport

7. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Taken from dictionary.com-

sport Audio pronunciation of "sport" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
    n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2. A particular form of this activity.
    2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR but it clearly fits the above definition. Thread closed. It will re-open only if you'd like to argue with Webster about what the correct definition should be.

8. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    [​IMG]

F%#@ WEBSTER!!! :lol:

9. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    But does sitting there along time really count as phsical excertion or phsical

10. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    If it is a sport then it is a real boring one.
    [​IMG]

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    ARROW!!! Way to inject "levity" into it! I LOVE that! (Poor Webster!!!) :wink:
    Now.........it fits the description of a sport, and people enjoy watching and participating in it......so if any of you prefer to NOT see it as a sport, go ahead.....no ones stopping you. If someone WANTS to see it as a sport, let them! Who really CARES that much to get worked up about it? (Unless you have a bet with someone, and said you will let this board decide.)
    Oh.....and you don't just "sit there"........traveling at 200 mph and keepine the car in control for 500 miles is alot more difficult then i think you know. Try it sometime, THEN you will be able to judge it honestly.

12. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The world sport is Football or Futbol and not the American or Austrailian kind. If you have ever been to an international event you will realize it.

I have attended all of the following: Bullfighting, Formula one, NASCAR, Camel racing(men and women seperate sections) and all have their following but are they really a sport? no. They take skill but are not really sports.

I once saw scrabble on ESPN and instantly recognized there were more productive activities to engage in.

13. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ok when people say let them enoy it it is stupid because it is in the sports section and it isnt a sport and it just takes space and time when its in SI or on sports and it infuriates me to think that some people think that this skill is a sport

14. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

stupid

15. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Phil, thats your picture there?

16. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Commas and punctuation marks make thing easier to read. Don't worry though. You'll get to that part of grammer in the 3rd grade.

17. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, this is me - letting it go!! :roll: :hammer:

18. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I dont care make fun of me, but tell me why nascar is a sport.

19. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, this is me NOT making fun of you & letting it go...better?? :wink: :lol:

20. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So you agree nascar is not a sport

21. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    letitgopackgo :wink:

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok.....everybody say it with me.......
    "NASCAR IS NOT A SPORT!"
    (That was for gopack..............you can really think it's a sport if you want.......i won't tell him!) :wink:

Now......with all the IMPORTANT stuff in the world, WHY would it INFURIATE you that some people think it's a sport? Seems like alot of wasted energy! Me..........anyone can call it anything they like in my view! I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it! :wink:

23. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think NASCAR is overrrated.

24. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok all you people say is let go its over. All I want is someone to write one post on why nascar is a sport and how it takes athleticism.

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    OK.......i'll TRY. You have to be quite strong to control a car at 200 mph for 500 miles. If you are weak, you will end up hitting a wall or another car. Plus, have you ever seen the bumping and positioning that goes on throughout a race? Trust me, to control a car at that speed under those conditions is NOT a walk in the park. Bowling is a sport, even though it does not take "super human" strength. To drive like that, for that long, takes physical AND mental strength. GOLF is considered a "sport", yet i don't see it as that physically demanding. There are ALL different levels of physical demand on different TYPES of sports. To run up and down a basketball court HAS to be alot more difficult then playing right field in baseball, right? In rightfield, you might make a FEW plays each game, in basketball, you are running almost constantly. So, does that mean baseball isn't a sport, becuse it's not as demanding as basketball or hockey? Does someone have to beat on you constantly to be considered a sport?
    I think your view of the word "sport" might be a little shallow. Does horse racing fit "sport" in your view? After all, it's the horse that does all the work! I bet some think thats not a sport, while most people do.
    Like i have said before, i don't really care if it is or isn't, i'm just trying to point out why the majority of people do say it's a sport. I think no matter what people say, your mind is made up already. If thats the case, why even ask what others think? I'm NOT meaning this towards you in ANY negative way! You are allowed your opinion, and if thats the way you feel, thats just fine.
    I think the only way you would consider it a sport is if you got behind the wheel of one of those cars, and saw for yourself the grueling work it takes to keep something like that under control for more then a couple laps, and with a few dozen other cars trying to pass you up.