Inside Linebacker
Darron Lee
Reggie Ragland
Leonard Floyd
Bj Goodson
Jaylon Smith
Nick Vigil
Brandon Chubb

Listed in the order in which I believe they will come off the board. For me best case is we get 2 of these players or 3 if Floyd is one of them. So for me it's Floyd in the first round because he has the ability to play inside or out similar to the way Matthews was used last season. Jaylon Smith in the 3rd round rehabs a year and then takes over the middle while Floyd moves outside and takes over for Peppers in 2017. And Brandon Chubb in the 7th round to round out the depth chart inside.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight End
Jerrell Adams
Tyler Higbee

I only like these 2 as they seem to be the best seam stretching options available. For me whichever one you can get in the 4th round is the one to grab. I prefer Adams but he's less likely to be available in the 4th. Either would be a good complement to Richard Rodgers after a year or two of development.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ragland, Floyd and Smith are the inside linebackers I'm most interested in. It would be disappointing if we end up drafting Lee. I don't think any other prospect would be able to immediately have an positive impact on the defense this season. Su'a Cravens might be an intriguing option as a hybrid linebacker/safety.

Higbee was my favourite option at tight end before his arrest. Taking a detailled look at the incident I'm not convinced he will be drafted at all.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nose Tackle
Andrew Billings
Vernon Butler
Dj Reader
Niles Lawrence-Stample
Antuan Woods

I would prefer Reader Stample or Woods. Stample and Woods are short stout strong players who demand double teams and will eat up blockers allowing others to make plays while offering little pass rush ability. They likely will be available in the 6th 7th round. While Reader is bigger more athletic and offers much more pass rush ability he is likely a 4th or 5th round pick but has some questions about his commitment to football. He has the most upside and could be the player At nose Raji was during his rookie year. So I would take Reader with a 4th round compensatory pick if he's there if he's not I'd be happy with either woods or Stample.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight End
Jerrell Adams
Tyler Higbee

I only like these 2 as they seem to be the best seam stretching options available. For me whichever one you can get in the 4th round is the one to grab. I prefer Adams but he's less likely to be available in the 4th. Either would be a good complement to Richard Rodgers after a year or two of development.
Henry is still my #1 pick as a TE, but there are too many other needs. Higbee and Adams are slightly more athletic and better after the catch, but Henry is still a good athlete who most teams had to match a corner against, and his hands are golden. He's the only one I could ink down as a franchise TE, but he'll likely come at too high of a cost.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nose Tackle
Andrew Billings
Vernon Butler
Dj Reader
Niles Lawrence-Stample
Antuan Woods

I would prefer Reader Stample or Woods. Stample and Woods are short stout strong players who demand double teams and will eat up blockers allowing others to make plays while offering little pass rush ability. They likely will be available in the 6th 7th round. While Reader is bigger more athletic and offers much more pass rush ability he is likely a 4th or 5th round pick but has some questions about his commitment to football. He has the most upside and could be the player At nose Raji was during his rookie year. So I would take Reader with a 4th round compensatory pick if he's there if he's not I'd be happy with either woods or Stample.

If the Packers decide to spend a first round pick on the position I would prefer Thompson to select Billings. Out of the late round picks you mentioned Lawrence-Stample is the only one I´m modestly interested in as he excels at stopping the run. There are several intriguing day 2 prospects you didn´t list though.

Henry is still my #1 pick as a TE, but there are too many other needs. Higbee and Adams are slightly more athletic and better after the catch, but Henry is still a good athlete who most teams had to match a corner against, and his hands are golden. He's the only one I could ink down as a franchise TE, but he'll likely come at too high of a cost.

After signing Jared Cook there´s no reason to spend a first round pick on a tight end.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nose Tackle
Andrew Billings
Vernon Butler
Dj Reader
Niles Lawrence-Stample
Antuan Woods

I really want Billings, Rankins, or Butler in the first. All have the potential to be Probowl DTs. Chris Jones has been moving up my list, but one of those three in the first would be great!

H

HardRightEdge

Darron Lee - 1st. round - absolutely not: Playing in space or unimpeded to the ball carrier he's a 1st. round pick. Playing in traffic or working off blocks he's more like a 6th. round - UDFA player; look at how he chops his steps when there's a hint of a block coming his way (see Michigan St. tape).

Reggie Ragland - 1st. round - yes: It depends on who else is on the board, but there is a good chance he'd be the optimal pick if he's still on the board, while there is also a good chance Thompson would pass him up given he does not like to spend at the position.

Leonard Floyd - 1st. round - no brainer: He's been creeping up the mock draft boards into the top 15; I doubt he'll last. In fact, I'm dropping him from my list.

Jaylon Smith - no higher than 3rd. round; he can lift all the tonnage he wants, but that tells us nothing about what his speed and agility might eventually look like.

B.J. Goodson - 3rd./4th. round - maybe: It depends on if an ILB is drafted ahead of him. In the absence of other options, I think he'd be a good pick in the 4th. round in particular. He's got a nose for the ball, good instincts, and looks half decent dropping in zone coverage. After taking a second look at his tape, I'm going to add him to my list for the 4th. round and drop Floyd who will surely be gone.

Vigil: I'm not impressed. 6th. round to UDFA in my view. He might be a better FB than ILB. He looks like the kind of guy who'd be a good special teams player.

Chubb: There's a lot to like in his tape and his Pro Day. Plays like a thumper with the workout stats of a quicker player. Ran 4.68 which is typical of a Thompson ILB. If Barrington happens to be limping around at the moment or if one were to think Ryan has upside in his coverage abilities, as I do, he'd be a good addition. 7h. round? Absolutely. I've got him down for 6th. round; I could see him going a little higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inside Linebacker
Darron Lee
Reggie Ragland
Leonard Floyd
Bj Goodson
Jaylon Smith
Nick Vigil
Brandon Chubb

Listed in the order in which I believe they will come off the board. For me best case is we get 2 of these players or 3 if Floyd is one of them. So for me it's Floyd in the first round because he has the ability to play inside or out similar to the way Matthews was used last season. Jaylon Smith in the 3rd round rehabs a year and then takes over the middle while Floyd moves outside and takes over for Peppers in 2017. And Brandon Chubb in the 7th round to round out the depth chart inside.
I also think a speed receiver would be a good idea. Once Jody went down teams knew we had no deep threat and jammed box. Another burner opens up offense.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darron Lee - 1st. round - absolutely not: Playing in space or unimpeded to the ball carrier he's a 1st. round pick. Playing in traffic or working off blocks he's more like a 6th. round - UDFA player; look at how he chops his steps when there's a hint of a block coming his way (see Michigan St. tape).

Reggie Ragland - 1st. round - yes: It depends on who else is on the board, but there is a good chance he'd be the optimal pick if he's still on the board, while there is also a good chance Thompson would pass him up given he does not like to spend at the position.

Leonard Floyd - 1st. round - no brainer: He's been creeping up the mock draft boards into the top 15; I doubt he'll last. In fact, I'm dropping him from my list.

Jaylon Smith - no higher than 3rd. round; he can lift all the tonnage he wants, but that tells us nothing about what his speed and agility might eventually look like.

B.J. Goodson - 3rd./4th. round - maybe: It depends on if an ILB is drafted ahead of him. In the absence of other options, I think he'd be a good pick in the 4th. round in particular. He's got a nose for the ball, good instincts, and looks half decent dropping in zone coverage. After taking a second look at his tape, I'm going to add him to my list for the 4th. round and drop Floyd who will surely be gone.

Vigil: I'm not impressed. 6th. round to UDFA in my view. He might be a better FB than ILB. He looks like the kind of guy who'd be a good special teams player.

Chubb: There's a lot to like in his tape and his Pro Day. Plays like a thumper with the workout stats of a quicker player. Ran 4.68 which is typical of a Thompson ILB. If Barrington happens to be limping around at the moment or if one were to think Ryan has upside in his coverage abilities, as I do, he'd be a good addition. 7h. round? Absolutely. I've got him down for 6th. round; I could see him going a little higher.

Thank you! Lee is so overrated and it's starting to get to me. Even in space he overcommits. I like the Chubb pick. He's got a past pedigree and he's related to Nick Chubb as well. Could be a decent late round steal.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If we can't secure Ragland, I'd be fine with Goodson later on. He fits a similar athletic profile and play style and seems like he could be a good run stopper.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really want Billings, Rankins, or Butler in the first. All have the potential to be Probowl DTs.

Unfortunately Rankins will be long gone by the time the Packers are on the clock in the first round.

I would be fine with spending a fifth rounder on either Goodson or Vigil but don´t see the need to spend a draft pick on Chubb.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s possible both of Billings and Butler are still on the board at #27.

I'm hearing quite a few teams before us are interested in Billings such as the Colts at #18. I'm hoping he slips, but it doesn't look favorable for us.

Butler could slip though and that would be nice.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm hearing quite a few teams before us are interested in Billings such as the Colts at #18. I'm hoping he slips, but it doesn't look favorable for us.

Butler could slip though and that would be nice.

I expect Butler to be on the board once the Packers pick in the first round. I would prefer drafting Billings instead of him though.

H

HardRightEdge

It´s possible both of Billings and Butler are still on the board at #27.
I've gone cold on Butler.

I'm not seeing him bringing anything Pennel doesn't bring, and I'm just not seeing him as a first-round-worthy 3-tech. Spending that pick on a guy to cover 4 games does not make sense. The same issue applies to a run-stopping strong-side base 5-tech, which is where Pennel played a fair amount of the time last season. How much is that really worth?

In a way, the classic run-stopping, double-team-consuming NT or 5-tech, which is all Raji devolved into and which Pennel can already do while providing some pocket push, has limited utility in a nickel-dominated defense, and what is becoming a nickel dominated league. It's like the 2-down ILB.

Do you spend that pick on guy not likely to earn more than 40% of the snaps, as with Raji?

The first best argument for that pick in the first round is that, as with Raji, Thompson and/or Capers put some premium on that kind of player. With Raji, though, the perceived value in the locker room, and being a "Packer guy" in that he was often positioned against his strengths at 2-gap nose for the good of the scheme, may have been valued as much as productivity.

The second best argument is how depleted the D-Line happens to be.

While I don't believe Thompson takes the best player available, I think the value proposition with Butler is far enough away from the best player likely to be available, he'd be inclined to fill the D-Line gaps further down the board.

I'm bumping him down to the second round where the value proposition is more appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inside Linebacker
Darron Lee
Reggie Ragland
Leonard Floyd
Bj Goodson
Jaylon Smith
Nick Vigil
Brandon Chubb

Lee's stock is dropping. Many have him as a 2nd rounder now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Consider Kentrall Brothers. IMO, he'll end up being the best ILB of the bunch.

Brothers is for sure one of the best run defenders out of this year´s inside linebacker prospects but is a liability in coverage and therefore doesn´t fit the Packers needs.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think TT should trade for Muhammad Wilkerson. The chance that any player drafted in this entire draft will be as good as him are slim. So our 1st and a mid to late round pick 4/5/6 would be a steal in my book. With Daniels and Wilkerson as our ends we'd be a top 5 defense. Only better end in the league than Wilkerson is watt. But since I highly doubt that happens I think Ragland will slide to us and TT will snatch him up much as he would have cj Mosley and he did haha. Remember that pic of haha came out early in the draft process in a packers shirt. Much the same way as Ragland was vocal early on of wanting to be a packer. In fact I think we end up with both Ragland and jaylon smith another guy who singled the packers out. Perhaps a trade of our 3rd and 4th to get an extra 2nd to grab smith.

H

HardRightEdge

I still think TT should trade for Muhammad Wilkerson.
To make this proposal you need to identify the current high cap player or players you're going to cut to make room. Good luck with that.

It's evident the Jets tagged him in the hopes of negotiating a cap friendly long term deal. Wilkerson wants to be paid after 4 years under a cheap rookie deal plus the cheap (in his case) 5th year option.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe anybody would need to be cut this year. As we still have over 10 million left in cap space. I believe it's like 13 million. And next season Wilkersons cap number could be 10 to 12 million and it would be a wash as peppers cap number of 10 to 12 million will no longer be on the books. Not to mention the cap will likely increase by 10 to 12 million for the 2017 season. So make Wilkerson 2016 cap number 5 million or so. After rookies signed still leaves 5/6 million in cap space for moves during the season, which tt rarely makes or to roll over to 2017

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't believe anybody would need to be cut this year. As we still have over 10 million left in cap space. I believe it's like 13 million. And next season Wilkersons cap number could be 10 to 12 million and it would be a wash as peppers cap number of 10 to 12 million will no longer be on the books. Not to mention the cap will likely increase by 10 to 12 million for the 2017 season. So make Wilkerson 2016 cap number 5 million or so. After rookies signed still leaves 5/6 million in cap space for moves during the season, which tt rarely makes or to roll over to 2017

The Packers currently have $10 million in cap space available but will have to use approximately $7-9 million of it for draft picks ($2.1 million), players #52 and #53 on the roster (at least $900K), the practice squad ($1 million) and for replacement players for guys being put on injured reserve ($3-5 million). There´s absolutely no chance to trade for Wilkerson without having to cut some veterans.

Members online

Latest posts