Who has upper hand?

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's assume that all this Favre talk of him wanting his release is true. Who has the upper hand in him actually being released or not? From both view points:

Packers: They have the contract with Brett. THey can trade him. Or, they can tell Brett no thanks, we arent going to trade you. You will start the season as Rodgers backup. I am guessing Brett would NOT accept that fate. Maybe if the Packers stick to their guns on that position, Brett will be stuck with no options and either say ok, I will play for GB or he will just stay retired, with no other options. The other angle is that who can really trade for a 12.5M dollar contract at this point in the season?

Favre: He is stuck in a contract with the Packers. It seems like he will not play for GB. He has apparantly asked for his 'no strings attached' release. If the Packers wanted to accomadate their prized boy, they could just let him go. Would not make much business sense. If Brett plays hard ball, could he write a letter to all teams, CC: the packers, and say I will retire if you trade for me. It seems like this would kill any trade possiblilities. I think Brett wants to play (for the records), so I beleive that if the Packers stick to their guns, this would backfire on Brett.

Who has the upper hand in this situation? I think it is the Packers for the sole reason that they can tell him that he will be the backup qb and that is that. The worst that could happen is that GB will break the NFL record for highest paid backup.

Any other angles?

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that the Packers have the upper hand, but not in the way they want it. They sit on Favre, look like jerks in the process. Favre becomes the good guy who just wants to play, and Packers management becomes the mean bunch who won't let him do it.

They control the strings, but Favre sure isn't making it easy.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packers. All they have to do is lay low well into training camp. The interest in Favre will die down because time for him to learn a new system will be short. Then they can trade him to an AFC team of their choosing. Brett will play and the Packers get some return for their asset.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care to think about the business aspect. Luckily, I don't have to. I'm just a fan who feels completely deflated by this situation.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen Bozz. Absolutely agree with you. It really sucks!

Time to sit back and just let it play out. Too much speculation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts