Who has the strongest QB arm in the NFL? WHo's your top 5?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we're not talking BEST QBs here.
This is NOT related to how well they play at QB.

We're talking QB's who can really throw the ball downfield, or mid range with significant pace/speed w/a tight spiral.

My personal strongest arm QBs in the NFL
(And I'll give reasons)

1)Carson Palmer Cin/Bengals - He's 6'5" 230lbs and can really light it up. He throws short range passes w/bullet ease and can hoist one 60yards w/a tight spiral and speed on it. Amazing.

2)Andrew Walter-OAK/Raiders - He's 6'6" and his throws have so much velocity and pace to them. I saw side by side throws between his and Drew Brees..and Brees' throws looked like lobs and Walter's looked like bullets

3)Brett Favre-GB/Packers - I'm not sure about his 50yard bombs anymore(or else he'd be no.1) but his mid range throws are the best still. He's the only guy than can make a little flick of the wrist go 25-30 yards w/a straight line spiral w/heavy velocity. YOu can't teach that.

4)Jay Cutler-DNVR/Broncos - I saw his combine throws and his preseason games. He makes 50 hard throws look effortless and they have pace/speed on them. Very tight spiral and speed. Was clocked at over 60mph on his throws.

5)Michael Vick-ATL/Falcons - I'm really not a fan of his game, but he really does have a strong arm. I've seen him throw 50 yard bombs w/easily. He's not very accurate, but in terms of pure power/strength..he's up there. Not a great tight spiral though.

Honorable Mention:

Daunte Culpepper-MIA/Dolphin-(when healthy can throw 60 yard bombs w/pace).

Aaron Rodgers-GB/Packers-(when PLAYING can make short range passes w/laser like speed/accuracy..Jerry Rice quoted saying "Aaron can throw 50yd passes w/ease").

Donovan McNabb.-PHL/Eagles-(Always a tight spiral on his throws)

Kyle Boller-BTL/Ravens (once threw over the goal post while KNEELED from the 50 yard line)

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Brooks has a wobbly spiral and flutters at the end of his throws...
Leftwich has the same problem...

Collins I would vouch for too..but his recent throws have shown less velocity..

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff George has one of the prettiest deep balls in the game.

My boy Brodie Croyle can throw the shat out of it.

Vick flicks his wrist and it'll go 60.

Culp obviously.

McNabb threw that one perfect deep ball going against his body.

Lots of people throw deep, young and old, what's the point of this?

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about who throws the best ball in the league..PRESENTLY..basically the best pure athetic throwing QB in terms of arm strength.

My point was that Brett Favre still ranks among the strongest throwers in the league.

Also not EVERYONE can throw deep ball w/pace speed.
A LOT of NFL QBs..can throw deep..but many UNDERTHROW or their ball flutters when it gets there.

Only a handful, can throw a deep spiral 50-60 yards w/power/speed.
And only a few can throw short/intermediate routes w/laser dart like speed either.

That's what I'm trying to get at.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh. Well why didn't ya say so? ;)

IMO the QB with the best deep ball in the league, combination of power, loft, and placement, is Carson Palmer. And for some reason, they're not doing too much of that this year. And if he had a bit more mmph in his arm, Marc Bulger is one helluva QB who doesn't get much pub.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they're trying to protect Palmer because he's vulnerable on long throws because he has to take 7 step drops and leaves the line vulnerable to penetration and hitting Palmer at the knees.

I would like to see Favre hoist some 50 yards again

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Rex Grossman has the strongest arm in the NFL? even in his own conference he doesn't have the strongest arm. Favre has a stronger arm than Grossman.

Carson Palmer has WAY more speed/velocity than Grossman.

How can he be the besT?

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Rex Grossman has the strongest arm in the NFL? even in his own conference he doesn't have the strongest arm. Favre has a stronger arm than Grossman.

Carson Palmer has WAY more speed/velocity than Grossman.

How can he be the besT?

He may not be the best, but Grossman throws a pretty good ball from what I've seen of him.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this post was about who "Now" has the arm.

Jeff George is no longer in the N.F.L. There is a reason for that. Number one, he is too old, number two,he did throw a sweet long ball, however his mental focus in the game was a 25 yard chicken trying to fly.

I would say Brett is (Still) the 1999 era Roger Clemens of the NFL Even now, Brett has the arm to fire a football Brett can fire a football that will put a dent in a Wells Fargo armored car.

Andrews from the Raides is very scary with the long, perfect, spiral. The challenge with Andrews is he does not have the time to set up and fire.

Palmer is a threat and has a sweet delivery long.

I am going to go with...... Based on the long ball.

1. Vick- However it may land in adifferent zip code from the stadium.

2. Walters- If he could ever get it off.

3. Palmer- Just sweet, but not as sweet as the mentioned above herein.

4. Brett- The fact he is still in the top FIVE shows his hall of fame MOJO!

5. Kerry Collins- Disqualified for lack of every thing else a Q.B. needs to have.

5. Cutler the soon to be starter of the Broncos, and should have been draft pick of the Raiders and or Packers.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer Finland...I don't see how Brad Johnson can be on this list. He's been notorious for having a WEAK arm. Jon Gruden had to change his plays so that he can give Johnson "safe" passes to throw..because his long ball flutters.

Trent Green throws a consistent ball, but I wouldn't call it w/heavy zip. Damon Huard on his own team throws more pace than Green does.

I agree w/Raider Pride that Kerry Collins just lacks everything else.

I like Cutler's arm, but I do NOT think he should be on the Packers.
You guys really don't realize what a gem you have in Aaron Rodgers.
He has the arm strength of Cutler and is smarter too.
Because Brett's been in front of him, you haven't been able to see it.
Aaron would be starting in Tennessee if he were in place of Vince Young, and he'd also be pushing Jake Plummer in Denver if he were over there.

Some even suggested that the packers should've drafted JP losman a year before Rodgers. LOOK how JP Losman is turning out....

Anyhow, back to topic.

I think we have 2 strong armed QBs on the packers..Favre AND Rodgers.

As far as in the league, Vick, Palmer, Walter to me throw the most laser like balls that us normal human beings can't duplicate.

I can duplicate a Drew Brees, or Chad Pennington throw. There's no way I'd be able to duplicate a throw like Walter does..

THAT is what I admire

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers arm is that strong. Not saying that it's weak (because I don't watch a lot of Pac-10 football), but I remember some of the talking heads on tv before his draft discussing if he could throw the long ball and deep outs. However, the system MM runs doesn't really require a ton of vertical passing, so Rodgers should be fine if he doens't flake out like other Jeff Tedford QBs.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Rodgers kneeled down at the 50 yard line and threw the ball through the uprights at the combine, so as far as I'm concerned his arm strength isn't in question.

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Who has the strongest QB arm in the NFL? WHo's your top

All time srong arms - Marino - Namoth -Bradshaw-Fouts-Favre- Elway

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See..this is post that has nothing to do w/Aaron Rodgers that I posted.

I was complimenting FAVRE! =)

Also looks like VInce Young's arm is pretty strong too

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's about who throws the best ball in the league..PRESENTLY..basically the best pure athetic throwing QB in terms of arm strength.

My point was that Brett Favre still ranks among the strongest throwers in the league.

Also not EVERYONE can throw deep ball w/pace speed.
A LOT of NFL QBs..can throw deep..but many UNDERTHROW or their ball flutters when it gets there.

Only a handful, can throw a deep spiral 50-60 yards w/power/speed.
And only a few can throw short/intermediate routes w/laser dart like speed either.

That's what I'm trying to get at.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1 Brett FAVRE
2 BRETT FAVRE
3 BRETT FAVRE
4 Brett FavRE
5 BRETT FAVRE

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vick, Favre, and Palmer were all in the NFL qb challenge.

All of them were in the 60-65 yard range...in the long ball
contest.

Still outrageous.

BTW..Aaron Rodgers won the distance and accuracy
contest for college QBs that included Lienart, Vince Young,
and Jay Cutler.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Carson Palmer probably has the best 15 yard+ pass. He's got a sweet delivery.

Members online

Latest posts