Who do you want to face in playoffs?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right about that.
Fun. Hate playing any opponent 3 times in one year. In 2004 we beat the Vikings twice and lost at Lambeau in January. In 1997 we beat the Bucs 3 times. In 1993 and 1994 we had to beat the Lions in the postseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fun. Hate playing any opponent 3 times in one year. In 2004 we beat the Vikings twice and lost at Lambeau in January. In 1997 we beat the Bucs 3 times. In 1993 and 1994 we had to beat the Lions in the postseason.

The Packers have played a division opponent twice more in the playoffs since 2004 winning both games against the Bears in 2010 and the Vikings in '12.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we really want a top 2 seeding though. having that extra week before playing the 49rs didn't really help much, obviously going to be a tough game this monday against minny, but hopefully shouldn't be any issues againts the kitty cats of detroit, if we win both wouldn't it be nice to try and keep that momentum going into the playoffs

don't get me wrong, i see benefits either way, an extra weeks rest would be a nice recharge for players, especially any with niggling injuries

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are sitting in an excellent position right now. High probability of winning the division, and increasing probability of getting the #1 seed by winning out.

Two more Packers wins, along with another loss a piece for Seattle and San Francisco gives the Packers the #1 overall seed. It's great for the Packers that they play each other in week 17.

If one particular team besides the Packers has to get the #1 seed, I'd prefer it be the Seahawks. I think they are way more flawed than their record indicates. I'd feel way more comfortable going to Seattle in the NFCCG as opposed to Santa Clara.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Do we really want a top 2 seeding though. having that extra week before playing the 49rs didn't really help much, obviously going to be a tough game this monday against minny, but hopefully shouldn't be any issues againts the kitty cats of detroit, if we win both wouldn't it be nice to try and keep that momentum going into the playoffs

don't get me wrong, i see benefits either way, an extra weeks rest would be a nice recharge for players, especially any with niggling injuries
Short answer yes. Who's to say the 'Boys don't play like yesterday and take out the #5 seed at Jerry world. Then collapse on the frozen tundra.

Reaction score
Sorry to sound rhetorical but We will get who we get. But with a few modest improvements and playing at Lambeau in the frigid, I like our chances far better than going on the road throughout. I think even GB vs 49ers will much closer if they come to us.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't won in MN in a while. Win there first and we're a step closer. Then it's been a couple years since we've won in Detroit, we're the better team, but still have to go there and win. Let me know who we play when it's time :) Every team in the discussion is capable of winning and losing, going to have to play well to win anyway.

H

HardRightEdge

It doesn't matter. You have to meet 3 or 4 good teams no matter what and you have to win them all to get where you want to go. Where is more important than who.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The week off really helped 5 years ago when Rodgers had that injured calf. Even he said so. But in 2011 we had the week off and played our worst game of the season against the GMen.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You always want the bye. I can't believe that is even still debated just because we played crappy after the bye this year. We played like crap against the 49ers because we played like crap. We also played like crap against the Chargers on a normal week.

The bye team literally gets a free win in the WC round rather than risking a loss, is 2 wins away from the SB instead of 3 and will play no more than one road game in the playoffs. Almost every Super Bowl qualifying team had a 1st round bye.

Which would you rather have happen? Get the Saints at Lambeau Field for your first playoff game, already just a win away from the NFC championship game? Or have to play and beat a really tough Minnesota team first and THEN win a game in New Orleans against the Saints just to get to the same point?

That is not a difficult decision.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short answer yes. Who's to say the 'Boys don't play like yesterday and take out the #5 seed at Jerry world. Then collapse on the frozen tundra.

anything can happen

The week off really helped 5 years ago when Rodgers had that injured calf. Even he said so. But in 2011 we had the week off and played our worst game of the season against the GMen.

thats my point, pros & cons

You always want the bye. I can't believe that is even still debated just because we played crappy after the bye this year. We played like crap against the 49ers because we played like crap. We also played like crap against the Chargers on a normal week.

The bye team literally gets a free win in the WC round rather than risking a loss, is 2 wins away from the SB instead of 3 and will play no more than one road game in the playoffs. Almost every Super Bowl qualifying team had a 1st round bye.

Which would you rather have happen? Get the Saints at Lambeau Field for your first playoff game, already just a win away from the NFC championship game? Or have to play and beat a really tough Minnesota team first and THEN win a game in New Orleans against the Saints just to get to the same point?

That is not a difficult decision.

It's not just because of the 49rs game this season, and I stated what i thought. and not everybody wants a bye/break in any sport. international breaks in football ccan either ruin a teams momentum, or be the perfect timer for teams to have a rest, and the same applies in the NFL. if against Minny and Detroit we play the closest to complete games we play this season, then that kind of momentum is hard to keep with a week off

roughly 20% of superbowls have had a contender that came through the wildcard rounds, and 7 of those 11 have won the superbowl, 5 in the last 20 years, so it's not unheard of

Wild Card Super Bowl champions[edit]
Other Wild Card Super Bowl participants[edit]

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not just because of the 49rs game this season, and I stated what i thought. and not everybody wants a bye/break in any sport. international breaks in football ccan either ruin a teams momentum, or be the perfect timer for teams to have a rest, and the same applies in the NFL. if against Minny and Detroit we play the closest to complete games we play this season, then that kind of momentum is hard to keep with a week off

roughly 20% of superbowls have had a contender that came through the wildcard rounds, and 7 of those 11 have won the superbowl, 5 in the last 20 years, so it's not unheard of

Wild Card Super Bowl champions[edit]
Other Wild Card Super Bowl participants[edit]

The Packers definitely want a bye week in the first round of the playoffs. The 2012 Ravens are the last team to make it to the Super Bowl while playing in the wild card round.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So assuming we beat the Lions, we are locked for a first round bye.

If hawks win...we get #1 place, but we face the winner of #4 (49ers) and #5 (Eagles probably).
If 49ers win...we get #2 place, but we face the winner of #3 (Hawks) and #6 (Vikings).

I'd rather face Hawks/Vikings than either of 49ers/Eagles....but then going back to SF to face 49ers is not really smart.

#GoHawks

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

If hawks win...we get #1 place, but we face the winner of #4 (49ers) and #5 (Eagles probably).
If 49ers win...we get #2 place, but we face the winner of #3 (Hawks) and #6 (Vikings).

In all honesty HFA or not, I'd rather face Hawks/Vikings than either of 49ers/Eagles.

Play your scenario out one more game. If we end up with the #2 Seed, we potentially end up traveling to San Fran for the NFCCG.

Sorry, but the #1 Seed assures the Packers of every playoff game they are in is a home game. While there are teams I would rather play, no team scares me in January at Lambeau.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be rooting for a Seattle win this week and the Packer offense exploding on the Lions. #2 seed & a bye would be great, #1 and all games going thru Lambeau is ideal.

Dallas/Philly don't worry me at all if they make it past WC weeknd. After the last few weeks I'm not nearly as afraid of NO or Seattle (and certainly not Minnie)... so any of those 3 visiting GB in January is OK with me. Still nervous about SF, but in GB in late January I'm reserved, but optimistic.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd rather face Hawks/Vikings than either of 49ers/Eagles....but then going back to SF to face 49ers is not really smart.

#GoHawks

If the 49ers win the Hawks are the 5, not the 3. Also we would not automatically face the 3/6 winner. The 2 seed automatically faces the higher remaining seed after the WC, not necessarily the 3/6 winner. As the 2 we could not face the 6 until the NFC championship game.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if we got the #1 Seed and the Vikings knocked off the Saints and had to come to Lambeau for Round 3. Then let the Eagles either knock off the 49ers or wear them down to go into a slobberknocker with the Seahawks.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Eagles would be #4, 49ers #5 and heavy favorites
#3 would be NO in this scenario not 'hawks. Vikings win and then would go to #1 seed. We'd get the other winner ('hawks / eagles.)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

#GoHawks
I would like to get the Eagles again because we had them and let them off the hook twice at the goal line. The Niners beat us going away and deserved it.

Members online

Latest posts