Who do we try to pick up off Waivers?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As teams are making their cuts to get to 53, are there any players you see being released that the Packers should try and grab?

I do think the Packers will be keeping an eye on WR's and the ILB's that are cut....so far nobody cut by another team really jumps out at me. Typically, this first wave of cuts are the players with less talent or teams have finally given up on.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Broyles come in for a look. Bitten by the injury bug but he's been healthy the past year or so and he can play. Couldn't hurt?
Let me guess...Broyles is from Oklahoma. OK, I did look look it up. ;)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id rather have James jones than Myles white but not sure jones will get cut

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Giants cut Jones and we can get him off waivers, I think it would be a smart move.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he goes thru waivers cuz he's been in the league for awhile

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Broyles come in for a look. Bitten by the injury bug but he's been healthy the past year or so and he can play. Couldn't hurt?
Never really liked Broyles but then I am an Oklahoma State alum so I could be a bit biased there.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tom Hornsey (P) was cut by Dallas. Dallas only had him on the Roster in case their starter Chris Jones did not resign, he did. Would love to see the Packers bring him in for the last game, see how he holds for Crosby and maybe light a fire under Masthay.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
We have a lot of young talent, don't need any one we can't develop internally.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Panthers have released Jarrett Boykin. While not a truly exciting option at receiver he knows the system.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Panthers have released Jarrett Boykin. While not a truly exciting option at receiver he knows the system.

I really have to wonder how bad he had to be to not make the Panthers final 75 at a barren position for them.

I think we're likely set with Cobb/Adams/Montgomery/Janis/White. MM has brought up Abbrederis several times and is expecting him to return to practice. It would be pretty miraculous if he can get in and show enough to still make it as a 6th, but we'll see.

I think the fact that we now know the Cobb injury is of little concern reduces any urgency to go after a vet.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
captainWIMM said:

I really have to wonder how bad he had to be to not make the Panthers final 75 at a barren position for them.

When a veteran WR does not survive the first round of cuts for a team like Carolina that was weak at WR before Benjamin tore his ACL, I think the answer is pretty clear that Boykin is what many of us believed he was last season - not good.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we're likely set with Cobb/Adams/Montgomery/Janis/White. MM has brought up Abbrederis several times and is expecting him to return to practice. It would be pretty miraculous if he can get in and show enough to still make it as a 6th, but we'll see.

I think the fact that we now know the Cobb injury is of little concern reduces any urgency to go after a vet.

Even with Cobb most likely available in week 1 I wouldn't mind bringing in a veteran receiver. Boykin shouldn't be the solution though, I only posted his release because his name was brought up by some posters.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The key IMO is the #5 and even the #6 (on practice squad) WR and how comfortable they are with the system and AR. As we saw yet again on Saturday, one play and we can all of a sudden become very thin and inexperienced at WR. So if we can pick up one vet (Boykin, Jones) that either knows our system or can pick it up fast, I would be much happier as to how we sit at what looked like a position of strength just a month ago.

Obviously this means White is probably cut. But I would feel a lot better with Montgomery and Janis at #4 and #5 and seeing less playing time then what the #3 does. An experienced Vet at the #3 behind Cobb and Adams makes 3rd downs look a lot better.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you gearing up to bash TT when he doesn't pick up a WR or ILB after cutdowns, here is something to ponder. McCarthy either agrees with him or leads the charge:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/323657771.html
(On locker room chemistry influencing roster) It all factors. Being a good teammate is important. Some teams may weigh that differently, but it's important here. History will teach you these kinds of lessons. You don't want to go through a whole spring, whole training camp and then you see a different guy on that first Monday in week one. That's bothersome. It may have happened in the past.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you gearing up to bash TT when he doesn't pick up a WR or ILB after cutdowns, here is something to ponder. McCarthy either agrees with him or leads the charge:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/323657771.html

(On locker room chemistry influencing roster) It all factors. Being a good teammate is important. Some teams may weigh that differently, but it's important here. History will teach you these kinds of lessons. You don't want to go through a whole spring, whole training camp and then you see a different guy on that first Monday in week one. That's bothersome. It may have happened in the past.

As an enthusiastic student of history, I appreciate the lesson above from Coach McCarthy.

Another, recent (very recent) history lesson MM might want to consider involves another NFL team, the New England Patriots.

Last season, NE signed its starting RB in late November, added a veteran DT in late October, traded for a veteran OLBer and a special teams veteran at the October trade deadline, and traded for a TE right before camp broke.

That was in addition to all the veteran free agents the Patriots brought in before last season (Revis, Browner, LaFell, etc.).

Many of these same players are no longer with New England.

NE has been acquiring veteran talent from other teams for years, has been to 6 of the last 14 Super Bowls, and has won 4 of them. Pretty impressive history.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The key IMO is the #5 and even the #6 (on practice squad) WR and how comfortable they are with the system and AR. As we saw yet again on Saturday, one play and we can all of a sudden become very thin and inexperienced at WR. So if we can pick up one vet (Boykin, Jones) that either knows our system or can pick it up fast, I would be much happier as to how we sit at what looked like a position of strength just a month ago.

Obviously this means White is probably cut. But I would feel a lot better with Montgomery and Janis at #4 and #5 and seeing less playing time then what the #3 does. An experienced Vet at the #3 behind Cobb and Adams makes 3rd downs look a lot better.
No one is going to pick up our system and gain Rodgers trust fast. Any WR pickup would be a second half of the season insurance policy if the staff thought they didn't have the necessary tools in camp.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As an enthusiastic student of history, I appreciate the lesson above from Coach McCarthy.
As an enthusiastic student of history, perhaps you'd like to research one of the other 30 teams and not just the most successful franchise over the past decade and a half? Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Thompson find more of a middle ground regarding acquiring vets. But using only the Belichick Patriots can come across as a bit whiney: The Packers are only one of the most successful teams since Ron Wolf took over, not THE most successful.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts