White will stay a Packer

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB MCGINN
[email protected]
Posted: March 16, 2008

Green Bay - Tracy White, the Green Bay Packers' most productive player on special teams over the last two seasons, will be back in 2008.

Packers linebacker Tracy White had 16 tackles in 2007 and led the special teams in turnover plays with three.

White agreed with the Packers on a two-year, $1.8 million contract that contained a $250,000 signing bonus.

"I love it in Green Bay," said White, who visited Denver and Pittsburgh during the first week of the unrestricted free-agent signing period before deciding to re-sign with the Packers. "Basically, I was talking to Green Bay the whole time."

White said Sunday that the Broncos offered him a signing bonus in the $500,000 range early in free agency but that fell through when they signed Seattle linebacker Niko Koutouvides.

The Steelers, according to White, were offering him a slightly more lucrative contract than the Packers until Green Bay improved its offer to make the deal. Pittsburgh was interested in White strictly as a special-teams player to replace linebacker Clint Kriewaldt, the Wisconsin native whose career is in jeopardy because of a neck injury.

"Basically, all the coaches sat me down face-to-face and it was like I was going to be a fourth-stringer or last, basically," said White. "I'm not comfortable playing in a 3-4, anyways. It was a high risk for me."

White, 26, played seven snaps from scrimmage in 2006 and then 30 in 2007, but the Packers kept just five linebackers and he was the top backup on the strong and weak sides.

"I'm a solid backup," he said. "I've got a good spot. I'm staying in a place where I can learn the defense more. The easier it is for me the faster I'll play."

White's signing bonus of $250,000 is 10 times the $25,000 that he received from Green Bay in the one-year contracts he signed in March 2006 and March 2007.

Five other special-teams aces have secured employment in the last two weeks. Brendon Ayanbadejo got a $1.9 million signing bonus leaving Chicago for Baltimore, but the other three had signing bonuses ranging from $150,000 to $300,000.

With Ayanbadejo, a Pro Bowl selection the last two years, now playing for an AFC team, White's goal of becoming the Packers' first Pro Bowl special-teamer since Travis Jervey in 1997 is more attainable.

"The main thing is, I've got to get to the Pro Bowl," White said. "I've got unfinished business. I think I've got an excellent opportunity. I think they know that I'm like the special-teams guy."

After leading the special teams in tackles with 17 in 2006, White had 16 in '07 to finish second behind Jason Hunter despite missing three games with an ankle injury. He led the special teams in turnover plays with three.

New deal: Tight end Bubba Franks, who was cut by the Packers on Feb. 20, agreed Sunday to a one-year, $1.7 million contract with the New York Jets.

Franks, 30, will back up Chris Baker, the Jets' starter since 2005.

In eight seasons, Franks caught 256 passes for 2,300 yards (9.0-yard average) and 32 touchdowns. He had 18 receptions for 132 yards and three TDs in '07.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White is the type of guy you'd hate to lose. I'm glad hes sticking around.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offseason is going very well. A couple minor pickups, re-signing some low-key yet important players,etc.

With the money in the bank due to Favre retiring, I'm sure 2-3 more players will get some extensions.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is fantastic, special teamers like this guy make a huge impact on the overall football game, often severely overlooked but very important. Plus as was stated you have got to love his attitude!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts