Which WR will TT/MM/AR keep?

Reaction score
I wonder if they have considered using Janis as a TE. He is as tall as the other TE's. Only RR is taller and that is by 1 inch. They only have 20-30 lbs on him so its not like this is crazy out of the question. The man is physical as hell and can block. You could do some extremely creative stuff with him as a TE and keep all the wr's.
I was thinking that EXACT same thing! If he beefed up to 230-235 I don't think his speed would diminish much. he's got a big frame and he would be a mismatch for LBs and a superior YAC guy.
The only thing I would add.. Abby is more of a Myles White slightly undersized type guy he's got Reliable but not deceptive speed or anything I'm excited about (other than a hometown guy) I'd go after another vertical threat at receiver to give Aaron some weapons and Acquire a primary TE and OT through FA like we did on Defense with peppers n Guion 2014. Then secure an early second day pick at LB or trade up.
PS. Id let Abby compete at KR as he has beaucoup experience and results at that position as a Badger. Not sure why we gave up on him..
http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXAXXAbbrJa00.htm&t=3

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can see that Janis is already a well conditioned athlete. There is no way he's adding 20lbs or more of size without sacrificing speed. Unless of course he's all juiced up and then with as tight as his body looks running, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out with injury if that were the case.

I think his position is receiver, a decent sized receiver, but a receiver none the less. Whatever that means, because they line TE's and Receivers and RB;s up wherever they want to these days, but in terms of roles, he'll be doing what has traditionally been what a WR does.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking that EXACT same thing! If he beefed up to 230-235 I don't think his speed would diminish much. he's got a big frame and he would be a mismatch for LBs and a superior YAC guy.
The only thing I would add.. Abby is more of a Myles White slightly undersized type guy he's got Reliable but not deceptive speed or anything I'm excited about (other than a hometown guy) I'd go after another vertical threat at receiver to give Aaron some weapons and Acquire a primary TE and OT through FA like we did on Defense with peppers n Guion 2014. Then secure an early second day pick at LB or trade up.
PS. Id let Abby compete at KR as he has beaucoup experience and results at that position as a Badger. Not sure why we gave up on him..
I think they need to make better use of him as he is. His combine scores were right up there with Julio Jones and Demarius Thomas. He doesn't need to be an excellent receiver to be able to contribute in some form or fashion. But it also has to come down to him putting the work in, which apparently he did not do last year. But I think that will change this upcoming year now that he knows he can play along with the best athletes.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well its actually because I think he's much much better player at the WR when compared to Janis ..... Now whether or not you think he can stay healthy........................
I think you could pick out more misses than hits in Thompson's tenure. But the same with any GM. That one just particularly hurt this year.

Reaction score
Why no Abby, he's cheaper and better than Jones, plus he signed a 3 year deal this season... it only makes sense to keep him
When we picked Abby in the draft many of us were calling for a KR. Then his # came up and I don't think that was a coincidence. He has an extensive ST background in college and we've dabbled using him already this year in that area but possibly because of WR depth issues? We abandoned that direction..

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When we picked Abby in the draft many of us were calling for a KR. Then his # came up and I don't think that was a coincidence. He has an extensive ST background in college and we've dabbled using him already this year in that area but possibly because of WR depth issues? We abandoned that direction..

Uhh, he sat out his first season on IR. This season he didn't get off the PS until after Janis and Hyde had secured the returner slots.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are among the things that make me smile.
After the NFCCG meltdown there was a wave of support for MM to give up play calling. After the offence got stuck in mud for most of this season , there was an equally loud cry for MM to take back play calling duties.
All season, the WR's were bashed for being too slow, unable to get open, and dropping too many passes when they did manage to get open.
Now that the season is over, it's "bring back the whole gang !'
There is no guarantee that we get the Jordy of 2014 next season. He's 31, coming off serious surgery for a serious injury that resulted in him missing the entire season. That, and a lot of guys don't make it all the way back their first year back.
I want another weapon at WR, through trade, draft, free agency, however, whatever. To improve, give Rodgers another weapon, and protect against another run of injuries at the position. Whether Jordy makes it all the way back or not. I don't see standing pat with a group that had flaws exposed as the way to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

After the NFCCG meltdown there was a wave of support for MM to give up play calling. After the offence got stuck in mud for most of this season , there was an equally loud cry for MM to take back play calling duties.
All season, the WR's were bashed for being too slow, unable to get open, and dropping too many passes when they did manage to get open.
There is no guarantee that we get the Jordy of 2014 next season. He's 31, coming off serious surgery for a serious injury that resulted in him missing the entire season. That, and a lot of guys don't make it all the way back their first year back.
I want another weapon at WR, through trade, draft, free agency, however, whatever. To improve, give Rodgers another weapon, and protect against another run of injuries at the position. Whether Jordy makes it all the way back or not. I don't see standing pat with a group that had flaws exposed as the way to go.

Absolutely agree that Jordy has to return to an elite level for the Packers not needing an upgrade to their receiving corps. In addition there'sno doubt in my mind the tight end position desperately needs improvement which would take a lot of pressure off the WRs.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't get rid of Janis simply because he is too valuable on special teams. He led the team in st tackles with 12, he's the new Jarrett bush. His role as the gunner will keep him on the roster for years to come. If he can develop into a reliable wr that would be a major bonus. If I'm not mistaken he caught 7 passes in the game that include a slant, a stop/back shoulder and a scramble play so it's not like he caught just the two long ones

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Janis can take the next step, just a matter of how big a step. If they somehow add a big, fast guy, I think Abby is the guy in danger of losing his spot.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Janis at TE? Unfortunately you can’t disqualify him because of blocking – the other TEs don’t block well either. I don’t think he could drive block from that spot but he can certainly “position” block (basically get between the ball and the defender) and he could chip block to help the OT. While I do think it’s something worthy of consideration I don’t think they will because he has to learn the WR position before learning a new position.

I think the WR position comes down to Jones vs. Abbrederis. (Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, and Janis are locks IMO – Janis is a lock based upon STs alone.) In another thread Jones’ age was talked about and I think that misses the point. The issue IMO should be ability to run the routes and adjust in-route and get separation. Jones, like Cobb and Adams, will be “better” with the return of Nelson. But based on what we saw this season I think Abbrederis consistently can get more separation than Jones (and I really don’t give a damn where Abbrederis went to college). If Jones gets significant interest from another team I’d let him go. And if a WR is acquired in the third round or higher, both of them are likely gone. I would rather see a veteran TE added. The talent at that position isn’t good (to be kind) and it’s an important position for this offense. I’d rather not depend upon a rookie at either TE – or WR. IMO this offseason calls for a significant free agent acquisition at TE and ILB. Considering Thompson’s MO I’ll be happy with one of the two, but I think TE is the greater need.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis at TE? Unfortunately you can’t disqualify him because of blocking – the other TEs don’t block well either. I don’t think he could drive block from that spot but he can certainly “position” block (basically get between the ball and the defender) and he could chip block to help the OT. While I do think it’s something worthy of consideration I don’t think they will because he has to learn the WR position before learning a new position.

I think the WR position comes down to Jones vs. Abbrederis. (Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, and Janis are locks IMO – Janis is a lock based upon STs alone.) In another thread Jones’ age was talked about and I think that misses the point. The issue IMO should be ability to run the routes and adjust in-route and get separation. Jones, like Cobb and Adams, will be “better” with the return of Nelson. But based on what we saw this season I think Abbrederis consistently can get more separation than Jones (and I really don’t give a damn where Abbrederis went to college). If Jones gets significant interest from another team I’d let him go. And if a WR is acquired in the third round or higher, both of them are likely gone. I would rather see a veteran TE added. The talent at that position isn’t good (to be kind) and it’s an important position for this offense. I’d rather not depend upon a rookie at either TE – or WR. IMO this offseason calls for a significant free agent acquisition at TE and ILB. Considering Thompson’s MO I’ll be happy with one of the two, but I think TE is the greater need.
Agreed on. Abby vs. Jones. If Abby didn't have problems with his durability, I don't think it's any question who you keep. I think Jones will get an offer. I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota brought him in.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How about TY Montgomery as that guy? Seriously, we can't be 8 deep at WR, there are only so many roster spots. So if you want to bring in another or draft another, what 2-3 guys are you getting rid of to trim it down to 5 or 6?

I also have a hard time lumping guys like Janis into the group being criticized this year as he wasn't really getting an opportunity. Everyone remembers the last half of the season, no one was complaining about the receivers the first 6 games.

MM has also expressed full confidence that Jordy will not only be ready for camp but be better than ever. Obviously his optimistic outlook isn't surprising but given Jordy's attitude and work ethic I would expect nothing less.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Janis can take the next step, just a matter of how big a step. If they somehow add a big, fast guy, I think Abby is the guy in danger of losing his spot.

With Abby being mostly a slot receiver and Cobb and Montgomery being ahead of him on the depth chart I agree he's the one in danger of losing his job. IMO the Packers could need another outside receiver this offseason as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
Don't know who they'll keep at this point because the coaches sure do see it differently than I do when it comes to a player or three. Regardless, purely as a fan here's how I rank them, personally:

Nelson - An NFL top 10 receiver for sure, and possibly a top 5 (when he was younger and healthier). He may still be an outstanding talent as a WR. His health may turn out to be his limiting factor. Maybe he's got some Larry Fitzgerald left in him. I sure hope so. I'll miss his crew-cut someday.

Cobb - Not a top 10 NFL receiver except maybe for the number of drops he had last season. Needs a healthy Nelson to complement his game. The #2 in a one-two punch that must also include Nelson, apparently. Frankly, I would like to see him play some more coming out of the backfield, especially if the other WRs are healthy. Now that's a match-up problem and change of pace all in one.

Jones - A proven #3 receiver and capable of rising to #1 if needed, at least to a point he can prevail against some competitors but not against the top DBs in the game. Nobody expects that of him. However, he did more than what was expected of either Cobb and especially Adams this past season, and then some. Does much better when facing the #3 DB on the opposing team but, hey, who doesn't? Earned a shot to make the roster next season and deservedly so. Less worried about his age than his speed.

Janis - Big, fast, strong. Played well in the clutch when other youngsters have not -- at least not like Janis performed when the opportunity came-a-knocking. Shows plenty of upside if you're really looking for it. Inferior college competition made him less NFL ready so he desperately needs game experience -- something that MM and his ******* Jack 2015 WR coach have been averse to giving him. The latter two had worse seasons than Janis did (See: Packers 2014 offense vs. Packers 2015 offense), so take their opinions with a grain of salt. It's got to irk them when sportswriters and some fans might have a point and a player's good performance leaves them with egg on their faces.

Montgomery - Looks were deceiving. Built like Tarzan except that he got Jane's ankles. Really too bad he got injured because he was off to a very nice start. Big, strong, but not particularly fast. He's kind of like James Jones when he came into the league, and that's pretty good. I'm intrigued by him playing as an occasional RB, same as Cobb. Also has upside if you're really looking for it.

Abbrederis - Knows how to run a pass route and can actually get separation. Does not run to the DB and then stop. That gives him a big leg-up on some other guy. A football player, though possibly a fragile one. If he can stay healthy he can be a reliable threat coming off the bench. If, if, if...

Adams - Slow, semi-quick, no appreciable YAC, and hands that have huge holes in them. Otherwise, he's got upside dunking a basketball -- something rarely required in an NFL game. He was taken high in the draft, so he's got that affiliated hype going for him. So had Kyree Thornton, Jerel Worthy, Derek Sherrod, and Justin Harrell before him. Just sayin'. McGinn quoted one scout during the season as saying that his Grandmother could cover Adams. I hope she signs with the Packers so Adams won't have to worry about playing against her. Also has upside if you're on your 12th beer and you really squint your eyes. Nowhere to go but up...or out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Janis/Ty/Abby all back...however if you have to cut one it must be Ty or Abby because we cannot afford to cut an outside guy, common sense to the max there fellas. Besides it is much easier to grab a shifty short slot guy to overcome injuries than find an outside guy with experience. JJ won't be available for injury recovery forever haha!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad, but probably true.

However, unlike last year we won't have as much of an inexperienced bunch like this year. Albeit limited the late season and playoff experiences Abby and Janis had are big for experiences.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not ultra concerned right now as to "what WR's they will keep", since the 6 plus any they draft or bring in via free agency will be a talented bunch to compete.

I am more concerned at who is coaching this group next season. I probably sound like a broken record, but why is Van Pelt the WR and QB coach? His insertion into the WR coach position this year seemed to correspond with the whole unit taking steps backwards. Maybe this was all due to injuries and just a coincidence, but I saw a lot of WR play this year that seemed to be lacking the basic fundamentals of shedding your man, running your route and catching the ball. My hope is the Packers bring in a new face at WR coach, with some fresh ideas and enthusiasm to light a fire under what appears to be a pretty talented group of guys.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, experience helps. I was just noting that it's probably not worth wondering who misses the cut (until we get some 'wow' guy in the draft).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sure, experience helps. I was just noting that it's probably not worth wondering who misses the cut (until we get some 'wow' guy in the draft).

I think we have bigger needs at ILB, TE and LT to use a 1st or 2nd on the WR position. That being said, I don't expect to have a new high profile "Wow" guy in camp at WR next year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, not doing too well in explaining myself today. Never meant to indicate that I want to use a high draft choice on a WR, just that we don't need to be hand-wringing over who doesn't make the team. Also, the 'wow' guy I referred to was of the "where did he come from" variety, not high profile. Other than that, I got my point across. :)

Emmanuel Akpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the world can you compare someone as bad as Myles White to Jared Abbrederis. Sure Abby hasn't really shown that much, but how many opportunities has he had to prove himself. He can run silky smooth routes (better than Cobb to me), gets open on more than 80% of his routes when I watch him and he usually catches the ball (3 bad drops to 15 good catches)

Emmanuel Akpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhh, he sat out his first season on IR. This season he didn't get off the PS until after Janis and Hyde had secured the returner slots.
Janis became a KR after Monty and Abby sustained their injuries. Once Jared got hurt in that Lions game, Jeff began returning kicks and he earned his extra snaps return after return.... but if Abby never got hurt, I think we could've seen the same big bursts on returns as we saw from Janis. The KR spot still was exceptionally filled by Janis.

Members online

Latest posts