Which WR will TT/MM/AR keep?

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/packersinsider/status/689182300941062144

We most likely will carry 5 WR's next season.
It's possible 6, but 5 is the norm and makes the most sense. We have kept as few as 4 before. But 5 makes sense.

I'm 99% sure my guy James Jones is gone. I love him so much, he's a great guy, great person, great teammate, etc. Love him. Very reliable even though he had a lot of drops early in his career. But he can't get open. 90% of his routes are to the sideline and everyone knows it. He can't get deep, he's just not fast at all.

I have his #89 being replaced by former Charger #89 Ladarius Green, the 6' 6" tight end. He's much faster than Jones is. But that's beside the point.

I want to know who you THINK the Packers will keep and let go at WR. Not what YOU would do.
If it was up to me, I would trade Adams for the best pick I could get, or a tall TE or a physical or fast ILB.
Most likely it's a pick on day-3. I'd take it and roll with the other 5.

Click and vote, but what else do you say about it?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We most likely will carry 5 WR's next season.
It's possible 6, but 5 is the norm and makes the most sense. We have kept as few as 4 before. But 5 makes sense.

I'm 99% sure my guy James Jones is gone. I love him so much, he's a great guy, great person, great teammate, etc. Love him. Very reliable even though he had a lot of drops early in his career. But he can't get open. 90% of his routes are to the sideline and everyone knows it. He can't get deep, he's just not fast at all.

I have his #89 being replaced by former Charger #89 Ladarius Green, the 6' 6" tight end. He's much faster than Jones is. But that's beside the point.

I want to know who you THINK the Packers will keep and let go at WR. Not what YOU would do.
If it was up to me, I would trade Adams for the best pick I could get, or a tall TE or a physical or fast ILB.
Most likely it's a pick on day-3. I'd take it and roll with the other 5.

Click and vote, but what else do you say about it?

Trade Adams?.?

A. what do you think you would get for 2nd rounder plagued by injuries in his second year.

B. I'd get rid of Abby before Adams. Already have two slot receivers with Cobb and Ty, a third is really overkill.

So if I was to keep 5.

Nelson, Adams, Ty, Cobb, Janis (As of right now... Higher upside than Abby with special teams mixed in as a huge bonus.)

Keep 6: Just add Abby.

I really am amazed at the short term memory of people on these boards sometimes... Janis makes two catches. One of which he actually loses multiple times. And we think he is God mode, just start dumping 2nd round picks.

Here is Adams rookie year....

Compare that to Janis rookie year where up till Sat he caught 2 of 11 targets.... Really? So sad that peoples minds can be changed so much from two catches.

I hope you stick around a couple more years, see where Adams is by his fourth season. I can absolutely GUARANTEE he will not be cut or traded unless he gets in off the field problems.

Also has it not occurred to anyone the reason the Packers didn't complete many deep passes this year is because Rodgers was inaccurate as **** on them? lol He missed so many of them by yards, like not feet yards... So many of them I remember 10 feet over the receivers head, others 5 yards out of bounds or short.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think they have to keep 6 these guys all have so much potential in Adams, Abby, Janis, and Monty. The latter three being big special teams guys. I love hoodie but it just doesn't make sense for them to keep him. I def could see them getting rid of Abby but he will not make the practice squad again someone will snag him. Out of the 4 he is the best route runner in my opinion just weird drops the last couple games of the season. But being Janis gives more on special teams he is the loser unless he can make an improvement on special teams.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really am amazed at the short term memory of people on these boards sometimes... Janis makes two catches. One of which he actually loses multiple times. And we think he is God mode, just start dumping 2nd round picks.

Amen. Mind-boggling really.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either keep 6 or trade Adams. Janis and Abby are valuable on special teams and they showed during the Cardinals game that they can perform on offense too.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either keep 6 or trade Adams. Janis and Abby are valuable on special teams and they showed during the Cardinals game that they can perform on offense too.

I'm leaving this thread now...

Trade one of your 3 outside receivers, 2nd rounder, because someone is good on special teams. And proved they are NFL worthy because of 1 game. And lets be honest. 2 catches. Legit reasoning right there.

So by your reasoning we should keep...

Outside receivers....
Janis, Nelson

Slot receivers...
Cobb, Ty and Abby in the slot

So we would start Janis, Nelson, and Cobb?

And we should keep Abby because him catching 6 of 16 targets in the playoffs for 69 yards and no TD's shows he's NFL worthy?

This is why fans can't have nice things... Or be NFL GM's.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we will have more than 5 or 6 in camp. I assume that they will make a veteran minimum offer to JJ if he is interested. One never knows if we lose another top WR in camp and need to have JJ around. He's clearly the #7 guy unless someone else bombs in camp or major injury strikes.

This will be prove-it years for Adams, Janis, and Abbrederis. I still haven't forgotten how Janis went for his trademark bad ball read that then turns into a pathetic attempt to draw a PI - not the one at the end of the game but earlier. He's got to try to be a better receiver, not just a one-trick pony.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trade one of your 3 outside receivers, 2nd rounder, because someone is good on special teams. And proved they are NFL worthy because of 1 game. And lets be honest. 2 catches. Legit reasoning right there.

Outside receivers....
Janis, Nelson

Slot receivers...

And we should keep Abby because him catching 6 of 16 targets in the playoffs for 69 yards and no TD's shows he's NFL worthy?

We could benefit from a trade involving Adams by upgrading at positions that are a more dire need (TE, OL, ILB). Janis showed improvement over the course of this season while Adams regressed, plus Janis has speed and that is something which this receiving corps is lacking. Abby might be the best route runner on the team (except for maybe Nelson) and he has great hands and a decent amount of speed.

Nelson
Cobb
Montgomery
Abby
Janis

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could benefit from a trade involving Adams by upgrading at positions that are a more dire need (TE, OL, ILB). Janis showed improvement over the course of this season while Adams regressed, plus Janis has speed and that is something which this receiving corps is lacking. Abby might be the best route runner on the team (except for maybe Nelson) and he has great hands and a decent amount of speed.

Nelson
Cobb
Montgomery
Abby
Janis

Are you seriously putting Abby in the same league as Nelson, Abby doesn't even have noticeably better route running than Adams, (watch that video of Adams when he isn't injured and tell me Abby's route running is better, at 3:30 he puts a move on guy and you see his full route) and isn't in the same league as Nelson.

Not to mention you are trading a guy at a low-point in his career, on a rookie contract, after injury...

Not a single thought of that makes sense. The only way this is plausible is if you are an Abby homer. He dropped passes both the last two weeks, maybe 3 passes if I remember right. Dude hasn't even scored a touchdown and you are ready to kick Adams out.

I am being honest when i say I have no idea how you could come up with this.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Nelson & Montgomery coming back, WR will not be as big of an issue next year. By trading Adams, the Packers have a chance to utilize that trade in order to upgrade more "important" positions for the upcoming season. If we had a good TE and consistent O-line, I would be all for keeping Adams around at least another year. I just think Abby's ceiling is higher and it would be in the team's best interest to keep him over Adams in the long run.

None of us expected Nelson to become a superstar...we have 2 other players in Montgomery and Abby who could also reach that potential.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Outside receivers....
Janis, Nelson

Slot receivers...

To be fair, Rodgers' completion percentage and yards per attempt were worse going to Adams during the year. Not that it should be used to judge either at this point.

I'd really hate to lose Abby. I think he could be a solid receiver, and the way he took off and was blocking downfield during that long Lacy run really shows the kind of player he is. Meanwhile Jones just puts a hand on a guy for a few seconds and then stops.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Rodgers' completion percentage and yards per attempt were worse going to Adams during the year. Not that it should be used to judge either at this point.

I'd really hate to lose Abby. I think he could be a solid receiver, and the way he took off and was blocking downfield during that long Lacy run really shows the kind of player he is. Meanwhile Jones just puts a hand on a guy for a few seconds and then stops.

MM had a talk with Lacy today that is he wants to play he needs to lose weight.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Mike-McCarthy-says-Eddie-Lacy-is-overweight--42944195

realist4pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok lets look at Adams. Rough year? Definitely!

Lets keep this in mind. Nelson's second year was not just injury riddled but he had many drops. Sound a bit like Adams?
Adams does have talent. He is not a number one receiver, neither is Cobb.
Sad to say but unless someone is injured Jones is gone. Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams, and its a toss up between Janis and Abby. My vote goes to Abby. If Janis is here its due to special teams.

Reaction score
It's really anybody's guess because 2016 season seams forever away.
But if I had to guess theyll keep 6. If we didn't learn our lesson about surrounding AR with depth we never will.
Jordy
Cobb
Monty
Adams
Jones
Janis
Again, JJ left for a big contract. I don't see him having that lucrative option this year. We should be able to sign him short term low cost. He's well respected on this team. He led the NFL in TDs 3 years ago and this year smoked his career YPC high at 17.8. He's underrated by many and even at his age I think letting him go for under $1mil is extremely unwise

Last edited:

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, my guess is they keep 6. If not Janis may be the odd man out. I think Rodgers just doesn't like the guy and that carrys weight.

Emmanuel Akpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if I had to guess theyll keep 6. If we didn't learn our lesson about surrounding AR with depth we never will.
Jordy
Cobb
Monty
Adams
Jones
Janis
Again, JJ left for a big contract. I don't see him having that lucrative option this year. We should be able to sign him short term low cost. He's well respected on this team. He led the NFL in TDs 3 years ago and this year smoked his career YPC high at 17.8. He's underrated by many and even at his age I think letting him go for under $1mil is extremely unwise
Why no Abby, he's cheaper and better than Jones, plus he signed a 3 year deal this season... it only makes sense to keep him

Emmanuel Akpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you seriously putting Abby in the same league as Nelson, Abby doesn't even have noticeably better route running than Adams, (watch that video of Adams when he isn't injured and tell me Abby's route running is better, at 3:30 he puts a move on guy and you see his full route) and isn't in the same league as Nelson.

Not to mention you are trading a guy at a low-point in his career, on a rookie contract, after injury...

Not a single thought of that makes sense. The only way this is plausible is if you are an Abby homer. He dropped passes both the last two weeks, maybe 3 passes if I remember right. Dude hasn't even scored a touchdown and you are ready to kick Adams out.

In the words of Rodgers his self, he obviously has a knack for getting open. Of those 16 targets, Abby caught 6 and dropped 2. The other 8 were all bad throws, a pass interference, or good defensive plays. He was open a lot of the time, but Rodgers overlooked him for some reason. A clear example can be seen on the potential 100 yard interception return by Pat Pete. He's open in the middle and Rodgers decides to hold the ball. Abby has better hands than Adams and his routes are noticeably better than Adams'. He's open almost 75% of the time he's on the field.

Emmanuel Akpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also touchdowns mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. If that's the case, then Adams is even worse because he had way more opportunities and only had 2 TDS all season when he usually had the most targets and drew the worst coverage. Abbrederis caught about 8 or 9 passes for first downs with his 15 catches all season. That's an underrated stat and once again proves that he's a valuable player. I say keep 6 with Jones leaving.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy
Cobb
Monty
Adams
Jones
Janis

I'd like this a lot. If it were only for 1 year I'd keep Jones over Abby, Janis or Adams but for the future I think Adams will contribute nicely and Janis has a lot to offer on ST as well as at WR if he can get his head on straight. People look at the fact that he fell off the map after week 6 but who the heck didn't on this team. If we use that as the axe we'd have 11 new starters on offense next year.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its extremely early to tell. I think you gotta keep Jones around for depth and an injury security blanket at the very least. Its pretty obvious he'd have to accept around vet minimum.

Just don't think for any reason this team should go into camp under compensated on Wrs. Gotta give all these guys the chance to battle it out in camp and that is where you'll get the answer to this question.

Also think TT is going to draft another wr. This is a pretty nice draft at the position and a nice wr can be found 3-4 rd range and 100% the first or second round pick could be used on a legit pass catcher. Never too early to find a new weapon for rodgers. Hell need a someone sick once he hits 35-36.

^^if you respond to that last part by saying, "we need to win now and need 100% proven guys next season. cant waste any more time drafting and developing so many players...etc etc".................

I'm with ya on that. If you wanna bring in a proven wr then you go balls to the wall and make a helluva pitch to Alshon Jeffrey by saying you're gonna waste your prime on a rebuilding team while you can come here and play with a hall of famer.
Or see what Calvin Johnson is gonna do. Hes seen first hand what playing with Aaron Rodgers is like. Could TT pull that off? Can Detroit be convinced that the packers are gonna continue to beat you regardless and that they should just accept a few picks and maybe a player for Calvin Johnson as well as getting that huge cap off the books to then spend somewhere else?

Both of those might be impossible to pull off but are hands down each a way to solve this problem. no questions asked

D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson
Cobb
Montgomery
Abby
Janis

Do you understand that would leave the Packers with only two receivers best suited to play on the outside and Janis would have most likely to start opposite Nelson??? There´s absolutely no way Thompson should and will let that happen.

Why no Abby, he's cheaper and better than Jones, plus he signed a 3 year deal this season... it only makes sense to keep him

Abbrederis didn´t receive a signing bonus nor is any of his base salary guaranteed so the Packers can release him at any point without any impact on their salary cap.

I would be in favor of re-signing Jones to a deal close to the veteran´s minimum and let him compete for one of the spots. There´s no guarantee all six receivers make it through camp without suffering an injury.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if we had drafted this guy instead, we probably wouldn't be as worried about who the 6th receiver would be.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Jordy, Ty and Cobb, I wouldn't exactly call any of those other WR slots safe. I think Jones is gone. I also think that Janis and Abby aren't guaranteed roster spots. I think Rodgers and even MM are getting fed up with Adams and his inconsistency. Adams looks like hes running in cement at times. For whatever reason, Adams athleticism hasn't translated to an NFL field. I wont be shocked at all if we draft another WR in the early/middle rounds somewhere.

Fact is, we need to give our QB more toys to throw to.

I also agree that we shouldn't be prisoners of the moment with Janis. He played one good game against Arizona in the playoffs. I guess people forget about the goose egg of a season he had when the chances presented themselves.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts