Which team is the more lovable to America?

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Nope, I wanted them to lose. Ever since they got a freebie thanks to the zebras pulling the Tuck Rule out of their ***** to bail the Patty cakes out I've enjoyed every one of their losses to no end. But none more than when they choked away their perfect season.

:chisux:

Yay! The Tuck Rule! My favorite! I remember how mad I was when that very rule was shipped out by the refs during a game earlier that season to the advantage of Vinnie Testeverde and the Jets against the Pats, I was so pissed off... I was all "Where the f---- did that rule come from? We recovered that fumble! OUTRAGE!" etc...

Then it happened where we benefited from it later that year - the infamous one. And against the Raiders, too. That was the BEST part.

That same rule is still on the books, called about 12-15 times a season - most recently against the Jets in the Steelers playoff game. Is the rule imperfect? Yup.

They've tried changing it a few times, but it makes it even more convoluted and a pain in the ***, so they keep leaving it the way it is.

But hey, it screwed Al Davis and the Raiders, so LONG LIVE THE TUCK RULE!!!! :happy0005:

Apologies to Charles Woodson - Always liked that guy. Hope he finally gets HIS ring this time.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
My understanding is that the camera was okay, just where it was placed was a minor violation of NFL rules. That became (cue ominous music) SPYGATE!!!, is that right?

To be entirely honest, Goodell - the at the time new former Jet intern turned Commissioner was looking to assert his authority, and when the league sent out the letter to the league in 2006 telling all teams to stop videotaping signals from unapproved locations, and Bill interpreted it a different way. The New York media, of course, blew it waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, IMHO.

It was simply a case of our coach ignoring the authority of the commissioner. Bottom line.

Others may have their own interpretations. Was Bill wrong? Probably. But Goodell is still an a-hole. :happy0005:

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yay! The Tuck Rule! My favorite! I remember how mad I was when that very rule was shipped out by the refs during a game earlier that season to the advantage of Vinnie Testeverde and the Jets against the Pats, I was so pissed off... I was all "Where the f---- did that rule come from? We recovered that fumble! OUTRAGE!" etc...

Then it happened where we benefited from it later that year - the infamous one. And against the Raiders, too. That was the BEST part.

That same rule is still on the books, called about 12-15 times a season - most recently against the Jets in the Steelers playoff game. Is the rule imperfect? Yup.

They've tried changing it a few times, but it makes it even more convoluted and a pain in the ***, so they keep leaving it the way it is.

But hey, it screwed Al Davis and the Raiders, so LONG LIVE THE TUCK RULE!!!! :happy0005:

Apologies to Charles Woodson - Always liked that guy. Hope he finally gets HIS ring this time.

Nope, the Tuck Rule sucked. Always has, always will.

If a QB wants to pump fake and the ball gets knocked out, oh well. He shouldn't get bailed out by some lame *** rule.

Raiders and CWood got jobbed big time.

Then again, it was predictable after the Immaculate Deception fiasco.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Nope, the Tuck Rule sucked. Always has, always will.

If a QB wants to pump fake and the ball gets knocked out, oh well. He shouldn't get bailed out by some lame *** rule.

Raiders and CWood got jobbed big time.

Then again, it was predictable after the Immaculate Deception fiasco.

Does the rule suck? Yup. I don't disagree with that at all - But again, it was on the books and used long before that game, and is still being used, in fact most recently during the AFCCG.

The NFL tried to take the subjective "human opinion" element out of whether a pass is incomplete or a fumble. The Competition Committee has tried repeatedly to change it - especially after the 2001 season, but no one can agree on a way to do so without making it actually worse, so they end up just leaving it the way it is.

If you have ideas on that, feel free to send them to the competition committee.

Until then, the rules are the rules, or so fans of other teams tell me when it comes to camera placement. :happy0005:

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
To be entirely honest, Goodell - the at the time new former Jet intern turned Commissioner was looking to assert his authority, and when the league sent out the letter to the league in 2006 telling all teams to stop videotaping signals from unapproved locations, and Bill interpreted it a different way. The New York media, of course, blew it waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, IMHO.

It was simply a case of our coach ignoring the authority of the commissioner. Bottom line.

Others may have their own interpretations. Was Bill wrong? Probably. But Goodell is still an a-hole. :happy0005:

You can legally tape another team's signals from some locations? That seems to be what you're saying - is that really the case? (Hard to imagine that, but...)

I don't think anybody should be ignoring the authority of the commissioner, so it seems like a fine was appropriate. I'm just trying to pinpoint exactly how big of a deal it was, and whether their success was a product of that or not - because that's the impression a whole bunch of people are walking around with. If they got nothing out of it, then it's especially unfortunate because it was a hit to their reputation they didn't need to take - and for what, you know?

Speaking of authority, I'd like to see Harrison disciplined for mocking Goodell in the press yesterday. If what players and coaches can say about officiating is regulated, that maybe ought to be too.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the rule suck? Yup. I don't disagree with that at all - But again, it was on the books and used long before that game, and is still being used, in fact most recently during the AFCCG.

The NFL tried to take the subjective "human opinion" element out of whether a pass is incomplete or a fumble. The Competition Committee has tried repeatedly to change it - especially after the 2001 season, but no one can agree on a way to do so without making it actually worse, so they end up just leaving it the way it is.

If you have ideas on that, feel free to send them to the competition committee.

Until then, the rules are the rules, or so fans of other teams tell me when it comes to camera placement. :happy0005:

The rule was basically made to take a refs judgement out of the equation. More or less to bail them out.

Every QB pump faking that got the ball knocked loose wiould scream to the high heavens he was attempting to pass so it would be ruled an incomplete pass.

You brought up the cameras and the film don't lie. If the nose of the ball is facing down towards the ground, there is obviously no attempt being made to pass and replay alone would clearly show that.

Unfortunately, like other rules, the NFL went overboard and hence the Tuck Rule.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
You can legally tape another team's signals from some locations? That seems to be what you're saying - is that really the case? (Hard to imagine that, but...)

This is the rule that we broke:

From the NFL's Constitution & Bylaws (article 9): "Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

That was the part where Belichick interpreted to mean "As long as I'm not using it in this game, it's OK" and kept doing what he was doing, figuring he was still acting in the spirit of the rule. The guy is a well-known tape freak.

Now to add to that, there are locations from which teams can videotape anything they want during a game, including defensive signals - they just have to meet certain guidelines that the NFL specifies.

What it boils down to for me is, if it is ok for teams to have a guy on the sidelines with binoculars stealing opposing teams signals (completely legal in the NFL) and use the knowledge gleaned for use during that game, then why is videotaping them for later use bad?

Anyway, I think it was blown way out of proportion - and people were already sick of the Pats anyway, so instant "scandal".

It's a bunch of horseshit.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Unfortunately, like other rules, the NFL went overboard and hence the Tuck Rule.

Again, I don't disagree - but it is a rule, and was a rule when it was called in that Raiders game. And it was called correctly.

Yet, people actually think the refs made that rule up on the spot just to screw the Raiders. :frustrated:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule is ridiculous. With the advent of super slowmo cameras, the refs can definitely tell if the QB is tucking the ball, pump faking or making a pass...

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and when exactly was the Tuck rule used in the Steelers - Jets playoff game? Answer -- it wasn't. Now when it should have been used was in the Steeler - Ravens game when Ben fumbled and the Ravens returned it for a TD.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
and when exactly was the Tuck rule used in the Steelers - Jets playoff game? Answer -- it wasn't. Now when it should have been used was in the Steeler - Ravens game when Ben fumbled and the Ravens returned it for a TD.

My apologies. I meant the Ravens/Chiefs playoff game.

Bart

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been reading on different fan forums and nearly everyone wants the packers to win, maybe only bears and vikings fans dont us to win SB.

Also here in Denmark there have been some poll votes and in nearly everyone of them, it goes from 80-90% that wants the packers to win, so i guess its not only in America they want them to win :)

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why stop at just America? How about globally?
So sorry. Steelers already claimed that and Space.
We are Intergalactic.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKvSprDt1Nc]YouTube - STATION COMMANDER CHEERS ON PITTSBURGH STEELERS FROM ORBIT[/ame]

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why stop at just America? How about globally?
Feel free to have any country not on these Steeler Tribute videos. I believe Inner and Outer Slobovia are not claimed yet.
Enjoy!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1esGyeKuQ]YouTube - Steeler Fan Tribute[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtlxZm8xn3c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - Steeler Nation tribute #2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_09T0k38GQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - Steeler Nation Tribute 3[/ame]

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can have your youtube videos and maybe you found a Steelers bar in every city, but the numbers don't lie.

Poll: Dallas Cowboys are America's favorite team for fourth straight year - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

I knew #1 would have to be Dallas, because Jerry Jones is a tool. I was surprised by the Colts, but hey, Peyton Manning can do that.
Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted.

Never heard of "The Huddle" and USA Today is hardly the last word on anything. Only time I read it is when it is given out free on an airplane or left in fron of my door at a hotel.

But hey, post up some Packer fan tributes. I'd love to see the Cheesehead or Packer flag around the world...

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/steelersbars.shtml#Wisconsin

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans don't feel the need to make a you tube video of how great a fan they are. A 955 year wait for season tickets says it all.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted.

Never heard of "The Huddle" and USA Today is hardly the last word on anything. Only time I read it is when it is given out free on an airplane or left in fron of my door at a hotel.

But hey, post up some Packer fan tributes. I'd love to see the Cheesehead or Packer flag around the world...

Steeler Addicts - Pittsburgh Steelers Bars
USA Today was merely reporting the status of a countrywide survey that's done every year. It's a credible source.

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
USA Today was merely reporting the status of a countrywide survey that's done every year. It's a credible source.
I see a glaring problem with the survey at first glance. Lovable?
Seriously. Lovable? What the hell does that even mean? I'm sure Vince Lombardi would never call any of his Teams "Lovable". Hell, the Cubbies are known as the "Lovable Losers" .Lombardi Teams were some of the toughest hombres ever to play in the NFL. Are you trying to say the Packers are a bunch of Choir Boys? Come on... Personally I'd take "Lovable" as a friggen insult. Grasp at it as you may,Incubes.

Latest posts