Which Packers receiving duo was the best?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it
A. Lofton/Jefferson
B. Dowler/Dale
C. Driver/Jennings
D. Sharpe/Brooks(Clayton)
E. Hutson/______

I don't know who lined up oposite the legendary Hutson but he had to have benefitted a lot from Hutson's talent and fame.

Or was there another duo? May be Freeman/Rison? How about Howton/Mann?

What do you think?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to go with Lofton/Jefferson as well. Driver/Walker might've given them a run for their money if they could've been kept together more than a year. Oops! Sorry I mentioned that.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, did you forget Driver/Walker? Anyhow, i never saw Lofton/Jefferson and dont even know what jefferson you are talking about but i'd have to say Sharpe/Brooks was the best since i was a fan in 1992.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver at the top of his game and Walker at the Top of his would probably be the best.

Sharpe/Brooks
or Lofton/Jefferson

And seriously how did we forget about

Perry Kemp/Jeff Query .... LOL

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Player No Yds Avg TD

James Lofton 58 1,300 22.4 8
John Jefferson 57 830 14.6 7
Paul Coffman 54 814 15.1 11

83 and 84 over 22 ypc... simply electric.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Jefferson and James Lofton.(I believe we got Jefferson from the Chargers)
Jefferson was not a big guy, but he was fearless. He got drilled all the time, and I mean DRILLED. He would lay on the ground for a few seconds, like he was done, and he'd just pop up like nothing was wrong. I thought it was for show, till one time when he popped up, and then went right back down. He just never wanted to show the defender he was hurt by a hard hit.
And Lofton........well, he was awesome, for sure.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Yea, did you forget Driver/Walker? Anyhow, i never saw Lofton/Jefferson and dont even know what jefferson you are talking about but i'd have to say Sharpe/Brooks was the best since i was a fan in 1992.

John Jefferson. He was a fantastic receiver for Don Coryell's offense in San Diego, teamed up with fellow WR Charley Joiner and TE Kellen Winslow. Then the Packers got Jefferson in a trade. He did not put up huge numbers for the Pack, but he definitely opened things up for Lofton, who had a monster season as you can see from the numbers above.

Come to think of it, Lofton and Jefferson were only together for a couple years, I think, so maybe we can go ahead and count Driver/Walker as candidates for best receiving duo. We could also throw in Brooks/Freeman, who both put up big numbers in 1997.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Come to think of it, Lofton and Jefferson were only together for a couple years, I think, so maybe we can go ahead and count Driver/Walker as candidates for best receiving duo. We could also throw in Brooks/Freeman, who both put up big numbers in 1997.

I think they were together for like 4 years or so... those were fun games to watch..

****ey was so imobile by that time.. he would take a beating but keep chucking the ball.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I think they were together for like 4 years or so... those were fun games to watch..

****ey was so imobile by that time.. he would take a beating but keep chucking the ball.

I looked it up, and you're right. Jefferson played four years for the Pack. Unfortunately, other than that one year with 57 catches, he was in the 20s and 30s for the other three years. (One of the seasons was shortened to nine games by a strike.)

I remember a lot of talk at the time that Jefferson was the most expensive decoy in the league. Still, it was very exciting to watch those Packer teams of the early 80s pile up the points after the dullness that was Packer football in the 70s.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
who in the hell are the other people give me the first names and ill go and do some research cause im a good boy LOOL

Go here.. All Time Roster

Type in the last name you are looking for and they shall appear.. with years played.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watch Trom, someone will take that serious.
Am I right that Driver and Walker were the first duo to each have a thousand yards in a season?
Off topic.. Anyone know who lined up on the other side of Hudson at Alabama?

Bear Bryant,.. read it the other day and just found it interesting

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it
A. Lofton/Jefferson
B. Dowler/Dale
C. Driver/Jennings
D. Sharpe/Brooks(Clayton)
E. Hutson/______

I don't know who lined up oposite the legendary Hutson but he had to have benefitted a lot from Hutson's talent and fame.

Or was there another duo? May be Freeman/Rison? How about Howton/Mann?

What do you think?

I'm too young to remember Dowler/Dale.

However, the best WR duo I've ever seen was Lofton and Jefferson. Lofton was the best deep threat EVER to play the game. He was Randy Moss with brains and without the bad attitude. Jefferson was a good, solid possession receiver. Together, they were dangerous.

What was really amazing in their short time playing together is that the Packers had the WORST OL in the NFL, and a lousy running game. So Lynn ****ey had very limited time to get the ball off, and everyone and their Grandma knew a pass was coming.

I love Driver and Jennings, as Driver is my 2nd favorite player today (Lofton is my 2nd favorite all-time after Favre). But Driver and Jennings are playing in better conditions than Lofton and Jefferson had to face. Not taking anything away from our current WR duo (it's actually now a trio), I'm just making a point.

We currently don't have a deep threat, although to give credit where credit is due, Driver fights tooth and nail for every extra YAC he can get. Driver is a true warrior, and I love him to death for that. He's also a wonderful person for his charity work off the field as well.

Jennings, as we all know, can take a 7 yard slant and turn it into a 70 yard TD. That's his trick.

Lofton was so fast that if they didn't double cover him, he'd be open, no matter who covered him. Deion Sanders in his heyday couldn't cover Lofton one-on-one, and that's really saying something. So opposing offenses always put a Safety on Lofton, and sometimes even triple covered him. Then Jefferson came along from San Diego and opposing defenses had to make the choice of getting burned deep or getting ten-yarded to death until the Packers scored.

Funny thing was, one year, we had the #1 offense in the league and #28 (out of 28) D in the league. I think that was '83. Those games were fun to watch, because win or lose, you got your money's worth.

Lofton's career almost died when he went to the Raiders, but the Bills picked him up 2 years later and he ended up playing in 2 Super Bowls and getting one more Pro Bowl, for the Bills knew how to utilize him as a deep threat. Several years, he ended the season with 1000+ yards and a 20+ average per catch, which is unheard of today. By the time Lofton retired, he was #1 all-time in yards, until Jerry Rice came along with that West Coast Offense. Not trying to take anything away from Rice, but Lofton faced a lot more diversity and played on some really, really bad teams in his career. Had Lofton been on the 49ers with Montana and Young passing to him, he may still hold the all-time yards record.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts