Which Packer #84 was the best?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall the #84 beingworn by Carroll Dale and that is as far back as I can remember.

Other than Sterling Sharpe, which Packer receiver that wore that number was the best in your opinion?

Was it Dale? Andre Rison? Javon Walker? Bill Schroeder?
Didn't Steve Odom wear that number?

Who would you pick as the one that you would have on your team?

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Walker stays in Green Bay for his whole career, he will be the best #84, but right now it is Sterling Sharpe.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll Dale, because of the Championships connection, plus having the best name.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
I recall the #84 beingworn by Carroll Dale and that is as far back as I can remember.

Other than Sterling Sharpe, which Packer receiver that wore that number was the best in your opinion?

Was it Dale? Andre Rison? Javon Walker? Bill Schroeder?
Didn't Steve Odom wear that number?

Who would you pick as the one that you would have on your team?

Players Who Have Worn Jersey #84

Wells, Don (E) Georgia 1946
Knafelc, Gary (E) Colorado 1954-62
Dale, Carroll (WR) Virginia Tech 1965-72
Odom, Steve (WR) Utah 1974-79
Nixon, Fred (WR) Oklahoma 1980-81
Taylor, Lenny (WR) Tennessee 1984
Franz, Nolan (WR) Tulane 1986
Smith, Wes (WR) East Texas State 1987
Sharpe, Sterling (WR) South Carolina 1988-94
Morgan, Anthony (WR Tennessee 1996
Rison, Andre (WR) Michigan State 1996
Schroeder, Bill (WR) Wis.-La Crosse 1997-2001
Walker, Javon (WR) Florida State 2002-04

Sterling Sharpe hands down.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe was a very good receiver no doubt. But on talent and character and not comparing different era's, I'd take Dale any day of the week. He was a great receiver in his day but he was a man of ethics and moral character.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd say Sharpe right now and reserve my final answer determined on whether Javon stays in GB. I think Javon has potential to be one of the best WRs of all time.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Sterling Sharpe was a very good receiver no doubt. But on talent and character and not comparing different era's, I'd take Dale any day of the week. He was a great receiver in his day but he was a man of ethics and moral character.

Sharpe had 595 catches for 8,134 yds and 65 TD's in 112 games for the Packers.

Dale had 275 catches for 5,422 yds and 35 TD's in 111 games for the Packers.

That's a big difference regardless of any ethics or morals.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dalel averaged about 19 yards a catch and Sharpe averaged about 13 yards a catch. The difference in there era was that in Dale's time, the Packers ran the ball almost exclusivelly. Had the Pack thrown the ball as much as Sharpe had passes thrown to him, he would have been right there with Sharpe. They were both undoubtedly great receivers. On morals and ethics I'll take Dale any day of the week because I think their stats would probably be pretty similar. That's why it's so hard to evaluate players from different era's. The type of game they played was much different. Don't get me wrong. I liked Sharpe as a player right up until he decided to screw the Packers before the opening game against the Vikings. I lost all respect for the man from that point on.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were 72-43-5 while Dale was with them. 51 and 61 while Sharpe was with them. Sharpe had good numbers for a poor team that had to throw the ball since they were usually behind. Dale had good numbers with a collection of great teams that ran the ball first and threw it second. Put Sharpe on the teams in the '60's and I doubt his numbers would be any better. I agree with packedhouse that Dale wins hands down.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for clearing that up JBlood because I was not around in the 60's and I dont know too much about thier teams. I was just going by the number 84's that I know from my lifetime. Sorry bout that. :comp:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Dalel averaged about 19 yards a catch and Sharpe averaged about 13 yards a catch. The difference in there era was that in Dale's time, the Packers ran the ball almost exclusivelly. Had the Pack thrown the ball as much as Sharpe had passes thrown to him, he would have been right there with Sharpe. They were both undoubtedly great receivers. On morals and ethics I'll take Dale any day of the week because I think their stats would probably be pretty similar. That's why it's so hard to evaluate players from different era's. The type of game they played was much different. Don't get me wrong. I liked Sharpe as a player right up until he decided to screw the Packers before the opening game against the Vikings. I lost all respect for the man from that point on.
Agreed - despite the difference in numbers that Chase put on his posting.
I even got to meet Carroll Dale at last year's Home Opener - lucky enuf to get his autograph, along with Willie Davis, and Dave Robinson and many many others... I'd like to finish gathering thsoe siggies, but we'll see... One of the Players actually helped me define which were gone now...

Carroll wins hands down!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dale would be my choice also all things considered, stats, era, team player, clutch player, big plays, consistency, etc. Had Sharpe stayed healthy his numbers would probably made his choice undeniable and he would probably have part of championship teams. But he, more than likely, would have always been the same self centered jerk of a person.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dale didn't try to holdout the week before the season opener either. Sharpe was all about himself.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i would venture that back in the day..the db's weren't as athletic or skilled as they are today...all you have to do is watch the old films...

and it makes what Sharpe had done that more impressive...unless you have something against him personally...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way that Sharpe isn't the best #84 to ever wear the green and gold. The only way anyone can try and justify otherwise is if they didn't like his personality, egotistic tendencies, etc. As far as a football player, there was never anyone better on the Packers that wore the same number IMO.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
There is no way that Sharpe isn't the best #84 to ever wear the green and gold. The only way anyone can try and justify otherwise is if they didn't like his personality, egotistic tendencies, etc. As far as a football player, there was never anyone better on the Packers that wore the same number IMO.

NDPackerfan, you mean we agree on something??? Wow, I can't believe it...

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66...

When you get off of the Sherman bashing posts, your points are well thought out...
I rate Sharpe as one of the best EVER in ANY uniform in any number.

Dale MAY have been his equal but I don't know that the DBs were less skilled than today's DBs.

Ever SEEN Herb Adderley play? How about Wille Buchanon? Wille Wood?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
NDPackerFan said:

NDPackerfan, you mean we agree on something??? Wow, I can't believe it...

Steel Wheels,

I can't believe it either...man, maybe I should re-post and pick Bill Schroeder!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: just kiddin'

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND

I was just kidding!

It seems that Steal wheels is easy to disagree with yet it seems that we've stumbled onto something that we all agree on.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good point, Obi1..

But for everly Adderly or Wood there were a slew of db's that were at the opposite end of the talent spectrum back then...imho...

Members online

Latest posts