Which 49er offensive player are you most concerned with?

Which guy are you most worried is going to hurt us the most Saturday night?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Kaepernick is pretty fast of a runner. He had 8 games with at least 25 yards rushing. That doesn't sound like much, but our #1 RB vs SF in week one had 18 yards on 9 carries.

Frank Gore is the only RB besides Adrian Hercules Peterson to get over 100 on us this season. He's a little beast.

Randy Moss, even this year, always seems to score on us.

Michael Crabtree, by far, has been Kaepernicks favorite receiver. He scored against us in week one, and he scored the game-winner at New England a few weeks ago. He's good.

And the TE, Vernon Davis, has scored against us almost every time we have played them, maybe every time. He hasn't been the popular target for Kaepernick though, but that could change against our LB's who have never covered him well.

Which guy do you worry about the most?

49er fans, who do you think will be the guy who has the play(s) that hurt us the most?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted Randy Moss. Being older now, I feel like sometimes he gets hidden behind the other talent they have and he seems to produce whenever he plays the Pack. I'd rather he not moon us in the end zone again..

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is my answer. I know he's not been Kaepernick's top target, but this guy is the fastest -and he's strong like bull- TE in the league.... look at him score that first one against the Giants in last year's NFC Title game. He runs past Kenny Phillips.
Our own Jermichael Finley, he's nowhere near this fast. Neither is Gronkowski either.

I also worry a lot about all the other guys :mad:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I voted Crabtree as he now seems to be Kaepernicks favorite target

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I say frank gore. Reason is: we tend to have trouble stopping the run, hell....in the loss to Indy we made that no name RB donald brown look like AP. With our pass rush generating damn good pressure in the last few games, I think that Kap wont have all the time in the world to throw. I think we shut him down.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either Kaepernick or Gore. The reason is this: if we shut down one, we will have to worry about the other one. We need to play very sound defensive football this weekend. If we are able to be patient, funnel Gore into the middle like we did AP and contain him, and get some pressure with 4 or 5, allowing our secondary to do their job.... We can win.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's Kaepernick. The success of the SF offense will come down to him. If he plays a great game, SF has all the weapons to win this one. If he does not, they have little chance.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted Crabtree because he has really come on as of late, but that doesn't mean that I am not concerned with the other folks.

Kapernick will be a mystery. This is his first playoff game and who knows, maybe the fear will get to him.

Moss, although older, cannot be forgotten about. Maybe Woodson is the perfect guy to stick on him? I WOULD say Hayward, but I think Casey will be needed more with Davis and Crabtree.

Gore...he ran for 112 yards in week 1. This is week 19, or 18 depending on how you look at it. He has been banged around a LOT this year. Hopefully he won't have as much steam behind him as he did in week 1.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's Kaepernick. The success of the SF offense will come down to him. If he plays a great game, SF has all the weapons to win this one. If he does not, they have little chance.
That's why we need to give him a dose of the 49ers own physical style.
Negative reinforcement every time he runs that zone read crap, faking it or keeping it, make him feel it. In the ribs.
Too bad, I like the guy.
But he must feel pain, like the Niners defense dishes out.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we should ask the same question about the defensive player.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaep. Their offense will go as Kaepernick goes. Since Hunter went down with injury, Gore has averaged close to two-yards less than he had before the injury. He's wearing down. VD is invisible since Kaep took over - something like 8 catches in 7 games. It's absurd how little production he's had since then. Randy Moss is not a full-time starter and will not be effective logging more plays with Manningham and Williams out. Crabtree has been huge for the last several weeks. But, his effectiveness is directly related to Kaepernick's efficiency. So, I'm most worried about Kaep.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Compared to past seasons, Vernon Davis did not have the same kind of impact. Despite playing in all 16 games, he caught the fewest passes (41) for the lowest yardage (548) and the least number of touchdowns (five) than he has since 2008. Still, the Packers view the 6-foot-3, 250-pound seventh-year veteran as dangerous. Davis caught three passes for 43 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown, in the Week 1 meeting against the Packers.

“Davis is one of the real rare tight ends because I think he’s probably the fastest guy on the team,” Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. “So that’s always something, from a matchup standpoint, you’re always concerned about.”

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Compared to past seasons, Vernon Davis did not have the same kind of impact. Despite playing in all 16 games, he caught the fewest passes (41) for the lowest yardage (548) and the least number of touchdowns (five) than he has since 2008. Still, the Packers view the 6-foot-3, 250-pound seventh-year veteran as dangerous. Davis caught three passes for 43 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown, in the Week 1 meeting against the Packers.

“Davis is one of the real rare tight ends because I think he’s probably the fastest guy on the team,” Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. “So that’s always something, from a matchup standpoint, you’re always concerned about.”
I wouldn be as worried if we had Bishop.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You underestimate our Bishop. We'll probably throw a safety on him though.

Well...all I can say is that I've NEVER seen a LB be able to cover him all day.

I personally think they'll put Woodson on him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well...all I can say is that I've NEVER seen a LB be able to cover him all day.

I personally think they'll put Woodson on him.
I did say "less worried" didn't I? We'd probably still need to double team him, But Bishop would give us a little more flexibility in such. He could probably be ok one on one every now and again.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did say "less worried" didn't I? We'd probably still need to double team him, But Bishop would give us a little more flexibility in such. He could probably be ok one on one every now and again.

The thing with Vernon...
He is the fastest TE in the NFL.

However, he isn't all that nimble and he isn't a great route runner. He's not the "find the spot in the zone and stop" type guy. He's not Jason Witten.

Where he excels is in Blocking and in running PAST defenders. He runs a legit 4.3 40. He'll run past almost any LB in the league and most safeties.

What is interesting tho is that he may not be the guy you have to worry about. Since teams have been scheming to take him away, the 49ers have kept him in to block much more often and have sent Delanie Walker out into the Pattern. The difference in Walkers numbers with Alex and with Kaep is huge.

Keep an eye on Delanie. Hes big (but not tall) fast, and nimble (actually returned kicks early in his career...as a TE). The only problem is he tends to have some stone hands at times. Kaep should have 2 or 3 more TDs and they should have beaten St. Louis if he could just have held the ball.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The thing with Vernon...
He is the fastest TE in the NFL.

However, he isn't all that nimble and he isn't a great route runner. He's not the "find the spot in the zone and stop" type guy. He's not Jason Witten.

Where he excels is in Blocking and in running PAST defenders. He runs a legit 4.3 40. He'll run past almost any LB in the league and most safeties.

What is interesting tho is that he may not be the guy you have to worry about. Since teams have been scheming to take him away, the 49ers have kept him in to block much more often and have sent Delanie Walker out into the Pattern. The difference in Walkers numbers with Alex and with Kaep is huge.

Keep an eye on Delanie. Hes big (but not tall) fast, and nimble (actually returned kicks early in his career...as a TE). The only problem is he tends to have some stone hands at times. Kaep should have 2 or 3 more TDs and they should have beaten St. Louis if he could just have held the ball.
Walker reminds me of our Crabtree from what I've seen of him. Crabby's fast, and is one of our best blockers, but he still needs to work on his receiving ability. Love how Walker comes out of the backfield for you guys.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't worry about Witten.
Sure, he'll catch a ton of 6 yarders, 9 yarders, 7 yarders, 14 yarders....
But Davis can hit the home run at any time.

That's why I want to see Jerron McMillian or Morgan Burnett do this:
We don't have any big hitters at DB though, other than McMillian. That's sad.

I have not liked Vernon Davis ever since his Draft day when we took Hawk at #5 and they took Davis at #6, and they interviewed him and he said he was hoping he wasn't taken by Green Bay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts