Where would we be if ....

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back about a week or 2 ago packer nation was in a mass state of confusion about what Ted was trying to do with this packer team from not aquiring Moss and drafting Harrell. There were a lot of articles written about how poorly/well Ted was managing the Packers and I remember reading an article about how he made very questionable calls in not re-signing high profile players like Rivera, Wahle, Sharper ect.

My question is where do you think we would be if we HAD re-signed all our big profile players like Rivera, Wahle, Sharper, Longwell, Green and we HAD given McKenzie and Walker their new contracts?

IMO I think we would be a completely opposite team to what we are now. I think we would be a very offensive team instead of a defensive team and i think last two years we would have kept making playoffs.

I think our D would be horrible though. Our linebackers would be so bad it would make you sick and i think our Dline wouldn't be much better. But I think our offence would be sensational, we would have two very established WR's in Walker and Driver our Oline would be proven and our RB would be decent.

What do you think?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we would not have had the 4-12 disaster, but with Favre's declining skills we wouldn't be a great team either. In this league, you MUST have a great D to move up. We are now, finally, in a position to field a potentionally great D. We are also building a solid OL w/Barbre and the other young guys in the fold. The team didn't draft Quinn when he was available so TT/MM believe Rodgers will be able to QB this team. What has allowed all these things to happen is because TT chose NOT to hamstring his cap space by paying Wahle, Rivera and Sharper. He bit the bullet then and it's paying off now. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back about a week or 2 ago packer nation was in a mass state of confusion about what Ted was trying to do with this packer team from not aquiring Moss and drafting Harrell. There were a lot of articles written about how poorly/well Ted was managing the Packers and I remember reading an article about how he made very questionable calls in not re-signing high profile players like Rivera, Wahle, Sharper ect.

My question is where do you think we would be if we HAD re-signed all our big profile players like Rivera, Wahle, Sharper, Longwell, Green and we HAD given McKenzie and Walker their new contracts?

IMO I think we would be a completely opposite team to what we are now. I think we would be a very offensive team instead of a defensive team and i think last two years we would have kept making playoffs.

I think our D would be horrible though. Our linebackers would be so bad it would make you sick and i think our Dline wouldn't be much better. But I think our offence would be sensational, we would have two very established WR's in Walker and Driver our Oline would be proven and our RB would be decent.

What do you think?

Agree with Retired. I think we'd be 10-6, one and done in the Playoffs. Awesome O, horrible D.

All those guys you mentioned I really liked as Packers but are on the decline, except for Walker. I miss having Walker. Heck, I could complete passes to Walker. I wonder if TT feels like he made a mistake by letting him go.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'd have to unload for being over the cap.

You can't just wildly sign players left and right you know. All those players you listed would be at LEAST $5-6 million per year.

McKenzie isn't even that good, Rivera is barely average at his age, Sharper was/is on a big decline, Green hasn't had a good season since '03.

The only person I would've liked to have kept was Walker.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

You can't just wildly sign players left and right you know. All those players you listed would be at LEAST $5-6 million per year.

McKenzie isn't even that good, Rivera is barely average at his age, Sharper was/is on a big decline, Green hasn't had a good season since '03.

I would have liked to have Walker too......but he screwed it up. He wanted out, and I don't think we had any chance to keep him.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do you think?

I would've kept Wahle, Walker, and Green. I think we would still have Barnett, Hawk, and Popinga at LB.
If the Packers had drafted Olsen at TE in this years draft, had our O -Line consist of Clifton, Wahle, Wells, Spitz, Taucher, Olsen at TE, Green at RB, Driver , Walker, Chad Jackson at WRer, Favre at QB. We would be in the playoffs every year and have a shot at a Super Bowl every year.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

I would have liked to have Walker too......but he screwed it up. He wanted out, and I don't think we had any chance to keep him.

and I feel if TT went to Walker right away, and said, you are a star, we want you in GB, we are going to re-work your rookie contract, you and Brett are going to be superstars and break many records, and offered up ten million garunteed, J-Walk would have never left GB!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would've kept Wahle, Walker, and Green. I think we would still have Barnett, Hawk, and Popinga at LB.
If the Packers had drafted Olsen at TE in this years draft, had our O -Line consist of Clifton, Wahle, Wells, Spitz, Taucher, Olsen at TE, Green at RB, Driver , Walker, Chad Jackson at WRer, Favre at QB. We would be in the playoffs every year and have a shot at a Super Bowl every year.

Keeping those huge contracts, does that mean we wouldn't have signed Woodson etc.? Your starting cornerback for your NFC Champion Green Bay packers, Ahmad Carroll! Yeah... right...

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we try to have a good O and D!! With the advantage to the defense more because you need a good D to win. Ted is doing just that. He is building both without wasting money. One being good, and the other not, doesn't get you far enough. However, if one side had to be bad, and the other good, I would choose defense as being better. Just look at the bears.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do you think?

I think your contradicting yourself somewhat by stating our "D" would be horrible yet we would make the playoffs. For me, I had all of that I wanted to see in '04.

Secondly, where would we be NOW if we had kept all of these guys. Remember, several players became FA's over the last couple of years and we certainly couldn't keep everybody.

If by some minor miracle we could have kept both Wahle and Rivera which would have meant basically playing for free would you really want to be sitting with those two and Flanny or who we have right now?

At some point you have to move on. Yes in a perfect world you keep players until the exact last game they can help you and it doesn't affect who else you can keep in the mean time.

Then reality sets in and you have to make a call.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
packerfan the only problem is we dont have a Good O and a good D we have quite a bad D. :(

I beleive our D wil be top 10 or even 5. We do have a good, improving Defense.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[dhpacker wrote:

How could we have Hawk if we were going to be a playoff team? He's a top five pick, top ten at least, and playoff teams don't pick that high.

We figure a way to keep Wahle, Walker, and Green, your looking at how much money again? Who goes from what is here now because we certainly can't pay EVERYBODY.

So Walker cancels Woodson, Wahle and Green jeopordize resigning Kampman or Jenkins or possibly dealing with Harris and Barnett.

Looks to me like we lose key players and get older from what I see.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for the last time... Colledge is as good as wahle is... move on people.

IF we followed the sherman way we would be 4-12 with one of the oldest teams in football going nowhere.

as it stands now, we are an 8-8 football team, with plenty of room to get better with experience

Having a good cornerback tandem in Woodson, Harris. and a good D-line we have now... is more valuable to us than Green Wahle and Walker put together.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
packerfan the only problem is we dont have a Good O and a good D we have quite a bad D. :(

You are kidding right?

Who, for example, in our division is going to move the ball and score against this defense? I don't see an offensive line in our division that can hold off our pass rush and I doubt anybody is going to run over us.

We have quite a bad "D"? What did that make our '04 and '05 "D" if this one is bad? I don't think there is a word for it.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:

You are kidding right?

Who, for example, in our division is going to move the ball and score against this defense? I don't see an offensive line in our division that can hold off our pass rush and I doubt anybody is going to run over us.

We have quite a bad "D"? What did that make our '04 and '05 "D" if this one is bad? I don't think there is a word for it.
We were 25th in scoring defense last year. Im not sure that we have done that much to significantly improve that. And Kurt Schottenheimer is still on the defensive staff. This is not a good thing.

packers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually this year is our strongest defense we have had in a long time. since 97

We were one safety away from being a ALL PRO defense last year, and I think we will reach that with Marviel Underwood as our starter next to Collins.

and im also happy with our back up CB position, for the first time in like forever.

Blackmon, Walker, Dendy (who i thought played excellent last year, everytime they went deep on him, it seemed he was right there batting down the pass)
Jarrett Bush should be a big surprise in camp this year too, im high on him. and my cousin lives next door to him :)
but whoever thinks our defense wont be one of the best defenses in the league barring injury, then u dont watch enuf football .

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually this year is our strongest defense we have had in a long time. since 97

We were one safety away from being a ALL PRO defense last year, and I think we will reach that with Marviel Underwood as our starter next to Collins.

and im also happy with our back up CB position, for the first time in like forever.

Blackmon, Walker, Dendy (who i thought played excellent last year, everytime they went deep on him, it seemed he was right there batting down the pass)
Jarrett Bush should be a big surprise in camp this year too, im high on him. and my cousin lives next door to him :)
but whoever thinks our defense wont be one of the best defenses in the league barring injury, then u dont watch enuf football .

Your cosuin lives next to him? SWEET!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Agreed, if we could have had everything transpire draft wise and other wise since the departures, save Walker, we would be a pretty good football team right now. As it stands, I have questions about our ability to run or throw the football consistently, but retaining those players would not have made us a serious contender at this point.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't let him snitch if he hears a lot of dogs barking. Remember, SNITCHES GET STITCHES. :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Yared-Yam said:

and I feel if TT went to Walker right away, and said, you are a star, we want you in GB, we are going to re-work your rookie contract, you and Brett are going to be superstars and break many records, and offered up ten million garunteed, J-Walk would have never left GB!
Truth is though.....neither of us knows if that would have made any difference or not. Maybe it would have, maybe not.

Members online

Latest posts