Where Will Packers New Management Structure Take Us?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LaFleur is going to be given at least 2 seasons to prove he can or can't coach. Murphy hired Gute, who by most accounts has done at least a good job thus far in re-tooling this roster with what was given him. Unless you think he's just whiffed on the GM and is interjecting in every bad personnel move, I don't get why anyone thinks him or anyone else has a warm seat.

While I agree with you, in that a second year GM and first year head coach should actually have air conditioned seating right now, I can see where those seats could heat up really fast. Having #12 as your QB and lots of fans used to winning, who are thinking the Packers drop off the last 2 seasons was due to Rodgers injuries, TT, MM and Capers, they might be expecting too quick of a rebound from a healthy Rodgers, Gute, MLF and Pettine.

I think the goal should always be Super Bowls, but if the Packers make it to the playoffs and look competitive, that will go a long way at keeping those seats cooled down. However, if the Packers stay under .500 the dial will be cranked up a bit.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems risky to us, because it's just not the way the Packers have done things.

This might work out fine, it may not. But I'll withhold judgement until we see the impact on the product.

Doing things "the way we've always done them," can lead to some strange results when circumstances change.

"In Zig Ziglar’s ham story, he describes how the bride in a newly married couple cut off the end of the ham before baking it. Her husband asked why. The wife responded that her mother always cut of the end of the ham and that was the way it was supposed to be.

Not accepting “the way it was supposed to be,” the husband called his mother-in-law and asked why she cut of the end of the ham before baking. The response was that her mother cut of the end of the ham.

More curious than ever, the husband called grandma and asked her why she cut off the end of the ham. The answer was that she had a small oven and that was the only way to get the ham to fit.

Grandma had a reason for cutting off the end of the ham. The next two generations did not. They were blindly following custom without rhyme or reason. It was “the way it was supposed to be.”

How many of your customs do you follow because you perceive them to be the way they are supposed to be? Probably several."

I like the story and good analogy. I don't think us fans are against change in general. It's definitely needed from time to time for sure.

But even while making changes, you still gotta be careful about fixing what isn't broken.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with you, in that a second year GM and first year head coach should actually have air conditioned seating right now, I can see where those seats could heat up really fast. Having #12 as your QB and lots of fans used to winning, who are thinking the Packers drop off the last 2 seasons was due to Rodgers injuries, TT, MM and Capers, they might be expecting too quick of a rebound from a healthy Rodgers, Gute, MLF and Pettine.

I think the goal should always be Super Bowls, but if the Packers make it to the playoffs and look competitive, that will go a long way at keeping those seats cooled down. However, if the Packers stay under .500 the dial will be cranked up a bit.

I could actually give an 8-8 or 9-7 season a pass. The way I see it, I think we're still just one draft away from having the star power horses in the stable, plus factoring in all the new coaching schemes and philosophies coming and giving leeway for a little turbulence in year one. 2020 should be the year fans demand a Superbowl win under this regime.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expectations are low. I am planning on winning the division.

Reaction score
With the amount of resources put into service through both FA and the draft, reasonable expectations would be a 6 seed or better.
Anything less than 9-7 range would be discouraging IMO. I don’t expect to make the SB but we should be able to make a Divisional game competitive. That would show a marked improvement.
4-2 Division record 9-7 to 10-6 overall is my average range of expectations.

H

HardRightEdge

LaFleur is going to be given at least 2 seasons to prove he can or can't coach. Murphy hired Gute, who by most accounts has done at least a good job thus far in re-tooling this roster with what was given him. Unless you think he's just whiffed on the GM and is interjecting in every bad personnel move, I don't get why anyone thinks him or anyone else has a warm seat.
It is entirely too early to evaluate Gutekunst. We'll have a much better idea at the end of this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Holmgren wouldn't be calling Reggie on the phone to tell him that God wants him in Green Bay, he would be tweeting it!

Holmgren or God??? ;)

My first impression was Murphy is trying to save his own skin after reading that bit about the concern of going sub .500 three years running. That article you posted above seemed to elude to that. Nobody is immune to the axe falling anymore.

Murphy has done a great job of creating much needed revenue for the Packers. While the executive board might suggest to keep him out of football decisions if the team doesn't turn into around on the field I have a hard time believing they would be interested in replacing him.

some blame murphy for not seeing what was happening to thompson and acting sooner. now some are saying murphy's interfering. you can't have it both ways.

Murphy definitely should have been aware of Thompson's issues even without having the power to interfere in football decisions.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy definitely should have been aware of Thompson's issues even without having the power to interfere in football decisions.
who was going to move thompson out (which IS a football decision) if not murphy? the buck has to stop with someone. murphy having his hand on the pulse of everything isn't interfering. he's in charge and delegated responsibilities and this time will keep an eye on everyone. it's not like he's an oil man or media tycoon dabbling in football. he's a football lifer who's done everything.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4-2 Division record 9-7 to 10-6 overall is my average range of expectations.
Agree, if Rodgers stays healthy. We still have the best quarterback in the division. That used to count for something. We may have lost something on offense, but our defense should be much improved. If it's not, there's a problem.

Reaction score
Whatever happens I hope there's no repeat of the last 2 season.
Either way, I glad their isn't a team owner of the Packers to get involved on how to fix things.

D

Deleted member 6794

who was going to move thompson out (which IS a football decision) if not murphy?

Murphy recognizing Thompson wasn't up for the task of being the team's general manager anymore and replacing him because of it wouldn't have been a football decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts