Where was Clay Matthews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Seattle's last two drives in regulation I did not see him on the field for a single snap and the cameras frequently showed him hanging out on the sideline. So this Packer fan is wondering what happened, was he hurt or was there some other consideration in sitting the best Defensive player we have? We talk about missed opportunities on offense and the botched onside kick, but the difference in the game might be that Richard Sherman kept battling with one arm while we had Clay chillaxing on the sideline.

Not a football guru, but I would think you'd want one of the most versatile players in team history, the future hall of famer with a knack for making huge plays in huge moments on on the field with the super bowl on the line.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wondered that too until someone on here said that he hurt his leg and was taken out.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen any news about CM3 yet anybody heard what happened. He had to be hurt no way would you take him out if he wasn't hurt. That would make zero sense.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he wasnt getting treatment on the sideline and he looked fine to me moving around in OT.

mongoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another head scratchier if he was not hurt and they sent in secondary! LOL

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was being punished for the cheap shot on Wilson in which he got the personal foul.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was being punished for the cheap shot on Wilson in which he got the personal foul.
So im not the only one who thought this a possibility? mathews would have ended wilsons life , had he connected completely on that hit... And I loved it!!! :)

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that according to a source he was "physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted"

Yes you read that right. I don't think that fully explains things but I pray that isn't why he wasn't out there those last two series. Sherman played with a banged up elbow and earl thomas played with a dislocated shoulder.

I wanna know...what happened to Jordy Nelson. The dude dropped off completely (no pun intended) ever since he dropped that pass in the buffalo game.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exhausted is a bunch of crap for that magnitude of a game. I hope that truly is not the reason. I hope it was just the formation Capers wanted ....for some reason that makes sense only to him.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See Kam Chancellor. When he injuries guys leading with his helmet, you guys love it. When someone does it to one of your players, you cry foul.

I wasn't whining. Just offering an explanation why he wasn't on the field. Me personally? I have no problem with hard legal hits. By EITHER team.

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure the "emotionally and physically drained" quote was taken severely out of context. I think he mentioned that when he was discussing how the team felt in his post game locker room interview. Check out the video on packers.com. It wasn't a response to any question about why he was out of the game. The MJS writer just made a huge leap and cited that as the reason why Matthews was out.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been two days since the big choke and nobody from the Packers organization has explained why the best defensive player was on the bench when the season was on line. To quote Lombardi, "what the hell is going on out here." I think Packer fans should get an explanation.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was still high-fiving teammates on the sideline? That was the last image that I saw of Matthews

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM press conference today, maybe something in the way of answers there.

OP
OP
E

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been two days since the big choke and nobody from the Packers organization has explained why the best defensive player was on the bench when the season was on line. To quote Lombardi, "what the hell is going on out here." I think Packer fans should get an explanation.

You know I am a very patient fan when it comes to players and coaches, but not having your best player on the field with the game on the line in the Post Season if he is otherwise available is a firing offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

MM press conference today, maybe something in the way of answers there.

Press conference and media availability of assistant coaches has been postponed because of a personal matter within the coaching staff.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure the "emotionally and physically drained" quote was taken severely out of context. I think he mentioned that when he was discussing how the team felt in his post game locker room interview. Check out the video on packers.com. It wasn't a response to any question about why he was out of the game. The MJS writer just made a huge leap and cited that as the reason why Matthews was out.

This is the exact same thing I thought when I heard this quote. Local radio here in Milwaukee was taking it and running with it like it was why he was not out there. I have a hard time believing that he would admit to that even if it were true so I'm not buying that this was the reason he wasn't in the game. Why he wasn't out there, I have no idea but I don't believe this is why.

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the exact same thing I thought when I heard this quote. Local radio here in Milwaukee was taking it and running with it like it was why he was not out there. I have a hard time believing that he would admit to that even if it were true so I'm not buying that this was the reason he wasn't in the game. Why he wasn't out there, I have no idea but I don't believe this is why.

Agree - I've actually been streaming ESPN Milwaukee all week and am surprised how it seems that no one has looked into this quote to disprove what MJS wrote. Especially Wilde - he's usually on top of this stuff.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll probably have to wait for when the press conference happens to get any real indication. Real curious stuff, though.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
This is one of what seems like thousands of things that went completely wrong. I'd like to look at that film (which i'll probably never do) and see if when the D started playing terribly correlated with when Matthews was out. If so I have no idea what the hell the coaches were thinking unless he was in fact injured.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay's act is starting to wear real thin on me as well. Not to the point where I want to get rid of him by any means becasue I believe he is a very good player. But from his disappearing in games at times, to what happened Sunday to his injury history he is not living up to his contract. He needs to step up and earn his contract and become a leader on this team, not being out there for those 2 drives was not a good start.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Also at one point jarret bush was on the field for defense. Thats happened maybe once all year not including garbage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts