Where was Clay Matthews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When it was 19-14 and Seattle had just recovered an onside kick with over 2 minutes left, Capers was benching Clay in order to save him for the Super Bowl? I've been harsh on Dommy over the years, but I'd like to think he hasn't gone so bonkers that he needs to be committed.

I gave my reasons why I dont believe the twitter post..You asked what other reason there is..

So from the few reason there are or could be,you have to sift through what is the most logical..

We may never know the truth..

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave my reasons why I dont believe the twitter post..You asked what other reason there is..

So from the few reason there are or could be,you have to sift through what is the most logical..

We may never know the truth..

Understood on most of this except for most logical. It wouldn't be most logical for Capers to sit Clay for the next game up 19-14 with 2 min left in the NFC Championship. It would be insane. It would be arguably the most bizarre decision by an NFL defensive coordinator in league history. It would have been like Seattle resting a healthy Sherman for the last drive against us in the 4th quarter when it was 22-19. It doesn't make any sense.

IMO, exhaustion, some sort of weird temporary injury, and a disciplinary benching, Matthews removing himself from the game, are all way, way more logical.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think either he quit on the team or he was benched to let the seahawks come back.
This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen. Perhaps understandable in the immediate aftermath of the game. This far removed it just looks silly IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen. Perhaps understandable in the immediate aftermath of the game. This far removed it just looks silly IMO.
I'd say ram29jackson has been cued if he had not been banned. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy said Matthews' knee was checked at the end of the game and Clay told him he needed a minute.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All I'm sayin' is that the whole thing was pretty f***ing convenient. the onside kick / 2 pt conversion / the burnett int / matthews on the bench / not challenging a clearly injured richard sherman... a lot of things had to fall into place for the seahawks to pull out the win.

I will leave it at that. Convenient.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay was getting checked out on the sideline because he bumped his knee pretty hard against the cooler while reaching for a bottle of champagne.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the quote I read on ESPN is accurate (couldn't copy and paste here), Mathews is a disgrace to his Packer uniform. Barring serious injury how are you NOT out there with a trip to the super bowl in the line? I truly hope some better explanation is forthcoming

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems like we won't get a detailed explanation for what happened with Matthews at the end of the game. One thing is certain though, he didn't get benched by the coaches.

I think you have to question his heart and toughness though as Thomas and Sherman were out there playing with significant injuries and Matthews didn't line up in the last two series of regulation with an undisclosed ailment that doesn't keep him out of the Pro Bowl a week later.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like we won't get a detailed explanation for what happened with Matthews at the end of the game. One thing is certain though, he didn't get benched by the coaches.

I think you have to question his heart and toughness though as Thomas and Sherman were out there playing with significant injuries and Matthews didn't line up in the last two series of regulation with an undisclosed ailment that doesn't keep him out of the Pro Bowl a week later.

Yeah, we're all just spitballing now, but you hit the nail on the head for me. Whatever went on it doesn't look- or smell -good right now. There's some long term concern here for me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
McCarthy more or less dismissed the suggestion Matthews had a concussion. In addition I didn´t read anything about him having to go through the league mandated protocol to play in the Pro Bowl.

who determains his might be concussed???? Does the player say something to staff? Does staff talk to him about normal game things and notices he has an issue then they go to the doctors? Do the doctors watch every play and think there might be an issue? A fellow player or opponent go to the doctors?

Someone would have to had to notice an issue? Could it be possible he hid ithe fact and said it was his knee?

Not saying this is the case at all...Might be hard to hide the fact if bad enough..Or if not bad he may know what to say or do to gather himself..

Again, I dont think he was and it might be far fetched..

Just pointing out just because he wasnt looked at by the protocrol, doesnt mean he didnt have a concussion.

Rodgers vs Bears in NFCCG rumors of a possible concussion comes to mind

D

Deleted member 6794

who determains his might be concussed???? Does the player say something to staff? Does staff talk to him about normal game things and notices he has an issue then they go to the doctors? Do the doctors watch every play and think there might be an issue? A fellow player or opponent go to the doctors?

Someone would have to had to notice an issue? Could it be possible he hid ithe fact and said it was his knee?

Not saying this is the case at all...Might be hard to hide the fact if bad enough..Or if not bad he may know what to say or do to gather himself..

Again, I dont think he was and it might be far fetched..

Just pointing out just because he wasnt looked at by the protocrol, doesnt mean he didnt have a concussion.

Rodgers vs Bears in NFCCG rumors of a possible concussion comes to mind

I´m not saying it´s impossible to hide a concussion on the field but it´s way tougher than before the protocol was introduced. Here´s some information about it:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/10/01/0ap2000000254002.pdf

Once again, if Matthews had suffered a concussion vs. the Seahakws there´s no way he would have practiced all week in Arizona before the Pro Bowl and played in it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I´m not saying it´s impossible to hide a concussion on the field but it´s way tougher than before the protocol was introduced. Here´s some information about it:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/10/01/0ap2000000254002.pdf

Once again, if Matthews had suffered a concussion vs. the Seahakws there´s no way he would have practiced all week in Arizona before the Pro Bowl and played in it.

your basing it all if he made people aware--

I am wondering if he never said a word to anyone..May have had bell rung but after a bit (give me a minute, my knee is an issue excuse) he was fine... That could be why wasnt out there for a while.

Then when cobwebs cleared he went out there.

I do think it is far fetched but that can be a reason why he wasnt out there, why he came back, why he wasnt under concussion protocol, why he was able to practice and why he played in probowl

D

Deleted member 6794

your basing it all if he made people aware--

I am wondering if he never said a word to anyone..May have had bell rung but after a bit (give me a minute, my knee is an issue excuse) he was fine... That could be why wasnt out there for a while.

Then when cobwebs cleared he went out there.

I do think it is far fetched but that can be a reason why he wasnt out there, why he came back, why he wasnt under concussion protocol, why he was able to practice and why he played in probowl

Actually it seems like Jordy Nelson alerted McCarthy about Matthews possibly having a concussion. I guess he was looked at because of it but was cleared to return to action.

It´s possible he got the wind knocked out of him but I wonder why it took him 30 minutes to finally be able to get back on the field again.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'd offer the following conjecture pending further info, but I doubt we'll get anything more concrete than what McCarthy already provided:

A player can be stung without being concussed.

He might have been stung a bit and/or tweaked the knee a bit. Anybody who's played the game can tell you that sometimes a few minutes are needed to "walk it off". We see it all the time in the NFL...guys get stung or tweaked, walk off or get helped off, then reappear in the game a few plays or a few series later without having gone to the locker room.

As the sideline celebration might indicate, the defense thought the game was over so an adrenaline crash might have ensued. Combine that with the sting and the tweak, and you get the "physically and mentally drained" affect, as Matthews described it.

I suspect the criticisms of Matthews have some justification; had the perception not been that the game was over he might have "snapped to" quicker. Unfortunately, the entire defense seemed to share that faulty perception.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People can draw their own conclusions, but there's a reason that guys like Sherman and Earl Thomas were still out there with injuries even when the game looked dim for them. At no point did they have the perception that the game is over.

I will always consider Matthews a good defensive player for as long as he produces, but I will probably never again consider him to be a defensive leader.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One explanation is that perhaps given the situation nobody on the Packer sidelines was too eager to check CM3 to see if he really did have a concussion. They wanted Clay to shake it off and get back in rather than removing him from the game if in fact he really did have concussion symptoms. Maybe that is the reason why the Packers and CM3 are so coy. They do not want to admit they skipped league protocol to avoid taking him out of the game for good. Since he was not evaluated, he eventually shook off the cobwebs, played in the over time and then did not have to go through concussion protocol. May be the reason why MM immediately discounted the concussion issue when asked about CM3 at the press conference. Hey people, what do you think? Does it sound plausible?

H

HardRightEdge

One explanation is that perhaps given the situation nobody on the Packer sidelines was too eager to check CM3 to see if he really did have a concussion. They wanted Clay to shake it off and get back in rather than removing him from the game if in fact he really did have concussion symptoms. Maybe that is the reason why the Packers and CM3 are so coy. They do not want to admit they skipped league protocol to avoid taking him out of the game for good. Since he was not evaluated, he eventually shook off the cobwebs, played in the over time and then did not have to go through concussion protocol. May be the reason why MM immediately discounted the concussion issue when asked about CM3 at the press conference. Hey people, what do you think? Does it sound plausible?
Not plausible, I don't think. He went on to the Pro Bowl, a waste of a game that matters for nothing only a week later, without even going through concussion protocol as the Captain already noted. More likely he was "stung", as I referred to it, or more technically suffered a "sub-concussive" blow.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not plausible, I don't think. He went on to the Pro Bowl, a waste of a game that matters for nothing only a week later, without even going through concussion protocol as the Captain already noted. More likely he was "stung", as I referred to it, or more technically suffered a "sub-concussive" blow.
What I mean is nobody checked to bother whether the hit the CM3's head was a sting like you say or a concussion. Cm3 played in the Pro Bowl because nobody checked. That is what the Packers are trying to sweep under the rug and is why they are all
Being coy about the whole episode. I for one am releaved about it because if I am correct Clay is neither a quitter nor are the coaches idiotic enough to just bench him without reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts