Where is the biggest weakness

kelbel505

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beg the questions: with all of our troubles on Defense and Offense where is the biggest weakness on either side?

Defense:

I see the biggest weakness in our defense being the Line. It was questionable in the preseason and it is still questionable now. Literally have little to no pass rush. Quarterbacks appear to be getting way to much time back there. Look at the second half of the vikings game. Why do you think Caulpepper tore us apart. Some blame can be put on the secondary but if we had put more pressure on him that would have made him force the ball. Our linebackering core is ok, not good but ok. They appear to be an issue when left of pass coverage. Not good.

Offense:

Running backs and O-line. Can't generate any yards, anywhere. Where was the running game from last year. Gone that's where it is. Injuries have riddled the offense and it seems that the only thing holding it together is Farve and Driver. With no running backs and down to only good receiver the offense should look interesting the next couple of weeks (interesting being not good). Drivers numbers will go down (and bretts) because he will be double teamed and teams will not respect the run and put both safeties back.

Any other analysis??

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our O-line isn't that bad, the running game is our biggest problem. Our secondary is also a problem.

Bates scheme isn't a scheme that puts too much pressure on the QB, he doesn't believe in that kind of scheme. It relies on the secondary to make big plays.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Our O-line isn't that bad, the running game is our biggest problem. Our secondary is also a problem.

Isn't that sorta hand in hand? The O-line needs to open things up for the run, so if the run game is crap, wouldn't also fall on the O-line as well as the backs?

Not that I am a football guru by any means, but seems they would go together on that.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
GakkofNorway said:

Isn't that sorta hand in hand? The O-line needs to open things up for the run, so if the run game is crap, wouldn't also fall on the O-line as well as the backs?

Not that I am a football guru by any means, but seems they would go together on that.

The run game might be crap, but I do not feel it is because of the O-line. Remember, Davenport was having a monster game before he broke his ankle, but Green couldn't get it done the previous weeks.

I think it's the lack of a quality back, not the O-line.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
easy..

-between SherRossley's two ears....

(probably nothin' but moldy cheese..)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense-
Carroll needs to be upgraded. Is Hawkins eventual replacement for Harris?
D-line commands such a price that the draft may be the only way to upgrade it.

Offense-

After RB, upgrade depth (later round picks) at all positions but Center. Don't panic at RB as they can be obtained relatively cheaply.

That said expect more trading down by Ted Thompson in the draft as 5 picks will fill holes and upgrade on offense and at least one pick for Grady Jackson's replacement. The 6th round pick was traded.

OP
OP
K

kelbel505

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The secondary would be help if the front four can get some pressure. if we get pressure with those four then that means we don't have to blitz and free's up people. We also need a shutdown corner (try hawkins, what do we have to lose...not starting carroll?) to free up the safeties as well. Choices choices choices

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the improvement we're seeing on Defense.....

I keep seeing comments about how bad our Defense is...
It's already better than all of last year. You all need to rethink that premise.

My main point of contention with the Team - is the missing cohesiveness we had while Rivera and Wahle were a part of that. Beightoll remarked that the Team is trying to find where they can gel, like before. And, while doing so, guys are second guessing where before - that didn't happen very often. Just the same - last year you remember (at times) even Wahle and Rivera gettin' blown off coverages... and Clifton, as well.

The Defense is only going to get better. I would think Ted already has his wish list in place. I wouldn't be surprised to have this next Draft look very much like 2005's.

A review needs to be done, pending we finally see where the Team ends up.
I have some links I'll push forward when I get home tonight.....

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say the biggest weakness has been between the running game and kicking game. We won 3 games last year on last minute field goals. we could have been 7-9 last year already if those kicks were missed. This year we might have been 3-3 if kicks were made against Tampa and the Vikings.

In a league of parity, the kicking game is huge. And whether it's the holder or Longwell, for some reason our kicking game hasn't been as reliable as last year.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are drafting a top runningback in 2006, I'm 100% sure of that. We might draft one or two receivers as well, preferably one that can return kicks. And the rest in defense.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our biggest weakness right now is consistency!

It was obvious this last week with one solid half of football, followed by one pathetic half. We have yet to play a full game, which is killing this team. This is a typical problem with a young/inexperienced team, which is what we are now.

If we can find some way to be consistent, then this can be a good team. 4 out of our 5 loses are by 3 points or less! If the offense played average against Detroit, we would have won that game. This team could easily be 6-0 right now, even with all the injuries. Instead our inconsistent play has left us 1-5.

Enough excuses! There's enough talent on this team to win a lot of football games, especially with Favre still playing great. Brett even made Jones appear to be a decent WR. He has plenty in him to make a tough offense with Fisher, Bubba, Martin, Lee, Driver, Chatman and Thurman. But we're not a good enough team to go into prevent mode for a whole half! Be consistent and play tough the whole game!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I'd say the biggest weakness has been between the running game and kicking game. We won 3 games last year on last minute field goals. we could have been 7-9 last year already if those kicks were missed. This year we might have been 3-3 if kicks were made against Tampa and the Vikings.

In a league of parity, the kicking game is huge. And whether it's the holder or Longwell, for some reason our kicking game hasn't been as reliable as last year.

For a good discussion on the "kicking game" - I refer everyone over to my IPB site for a short duration - to read the latest column on our IPB Sports Desk... long time senior IPB member, Steve Hermann has discussed this issue with great clarity.... some things a few here hadn't seen, before...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Enough excuses! There's enough talent on this team to win a lot of football games, especially with Favre still playing great.

Brett even made Jones appear to be a decent WR.

He has plenty in him to make a tough offense with Fisher, Bubba, Martin, Lee, Driver, Chatman and Thurman. But we're not a good enough team to go into prevent mode for a whole half! Be consistent and play tough the whole game!!

Pay attention to the YELLOW line..... the man's right....
How amazing is it to have a QB like Brett - who can take a green, right outta the corn flakes box "newbie" and make him look almost like a solid Veteran.... think on that... and smile... :)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bobby...

If you think about it...hasn't that been the Pack's problem for the last 5 years or so...consistency..uanable to finish games?

I wonder why that is...?

That seems to be the only "consistent" thing about the Pack...in the last 5 years..that is..hmmm

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
We are drafting a top runningback in 2006, I'm 100% sure of that. We might draft one or two receivers as well, preferably one that can return kicks. And the rest in defense.

you talked to ted thompson personally on this?

there's a lot of football left, and Reggie Bush has to declare for the draft

my personal thought is, wait on a running back...check this list out of pretty good NFL running backs and where they were picked...

Tiki Barber 2nd round...Corey Dillon 2nd round...Brian Westbrook 3rd round...Ahman Green 3rd round...Kevan Barlow 3rd round...Curtis Martin 3rd round...Julius Jones 2nd round...Clinton Portis 4th round...Rudi Johnson 3rd-4th Round (?)...Stephen Davis 4th round...Najeh Davenport 4th-5ht Round (?)...Lamont Jordan 2nd Round...

my point, you can just as easily find a running back later on and have success, especially if you surround him with the right offensive personell and offensive scheme

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bobby...

If you think about it...hasn't that been the Pack's problem for the last 5 years or so...consistency..uanable to finish games?

I wonder why that is...?

That seems to be the only "consistent" thing about the Pack...in the last 5 years..that is..hmmm

This certainly has been our problem in the playoffs. In the last 3 years, it's been our problem at the start of the season also.

There is obviously talent on this team, but a great deal of that talent has very little experience. I think TT would have greatly helped the situation by attempting to sign Jerry Rice instead of Taco.

Rice didn't want to be a backup, so he left Denver. But he would obviously be a starter this year with Walker and Fergie out. I don't think he'd be great, but he would definitely take pressure off of Driver. Right now the only one who can take pressure off of Driver is David Martin!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
There is obviously talent on this team, but a great deal of that talent has very little experience. I think TT would have greatly helped the situation by attempting to sign Jerry Rice instead of Taco.

i dont think we couldve gotten rice to sign, he's done for good i think...but i think freddie mitchell wouldve been a nice pickup, suited up for a good number of playoff games, i wouldve liked to see mitchell believe it or not

also, it wouldve made for some extra clout when we go to philly the last week of november

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think SAM LBer and strong saftey are the two weakest poitions on the packers. the packers interior linemen on defence are playin well this year, but DE could be improved.

imangine kiwanuka, and bing on GB next year or amhad brooks, aj hawk and bing. defence wins championships.

Members online

Latest posts