where does our WR corp rank?

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got statements like "I wouldn't trade him for any player in the league." About Jennings.

They had packer glasses on and years later the statements didn't hold up to their original love fest.

Nelson is an incredible player but I'm not going to say elite like Calvin Johnson.
I don't think anyone has said they wouldn't trade Jordy for any player in the league or that he's as good as Calvin Johnson, most are saying hes around top 10ish which is pretty much true.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has said they wouldn't trade Jordy for any player in the league or that he's as good as Calvin Johnson, most are saying hes around top 10ish which is pretty much true.

He's not elite but he's just below that.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its gonna depend how our two rookie WRs pan out. If they do, we'll have the best WR group in the NFL, hands down.

D

Deleted member 6794

Its gonna depend how our two rookie WRs pan out. If they do, we'll have the best WR group in the NFL, hands down.

You have to realize rookie WRs have a hard time making a huge impact. Take a look at Nelson´s (33 catches, 366 yards, 2 TDs) and Cobb´s (25-375-1) numbers during their rookie season. Don´t expect any of Adams, Abbrederis or Janis to put up huge numbers in 2014.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You have to realize rookie WRs have a hard time making a huge impact. Take a look at Nelson´s (33 catches, 366 yards, 2 TDs) and Cobb´s (25-375-1) numbers during their rookie season. Don´t expect any of Adams, Abbrederis or Janis to put up huge numbers in 2014.

Cobb was hardly used his rookie year. It drove me nuts when he wasnt used, because when he was he was explosive....then he went un-used for long time periods.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb was hardly used his rookie year. It drove me nuts when he wasnt used, because when he was he was explosive....then he went un-used for long time periods.

It´s tough to get on the field as a rookie when the depth chart includes guys like Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Jones. In addition I can remember Cobb running the wrong route on several occasions.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will give you that many rookies struggle to make a huge impact in their initial season. However, we don't need Adams, Abby or even Janis to make a huge impact. We simply need them to make some plays and be a consistent 3rd or 4th option for 12 to throw to. I looked up a few players who I feel Adams in particular compares well to skill wise and in some cases may even be better than. Take a look and I don't know about you but I would take most of these stat lines come seasons end and be happy:

Rookie Seasons:
T.Y. Hilton: 50/861/7 TD
Josh Gordon: 50/805/5 TD
Chris Givens: 42/698/3 TD
Justin Blackmon: 64/865/5 TD
Keenan Allen: 71/1046/8 TD

From a "skill-set" standpoint I think Adams compares nicely to Keenan Allen. Not a burner by definition and deemed more of a possession guy. While the lack of depth in the Charger WR core gave him some added looks I could see Adams equaling these numbers if given the opportunities. Rivers is a nice QB but nowhere near AR. I am looking for a 62/850/7 TD season from Adams and I feel he is more than capable of achieving these numbers as long as he in getting the chances to make the plays. Some of you may think I am being too optimistic but the numbers show that many young guys are making a pretty good initial impact and I for one think his (Adams) game translates well to the League. Let's do the damn thing!!! GPG!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I will give you that many rookies struggle to make a huge impact in their initial season. However, we don't need Adams, Abby or even Janis to make a huge impact. We simply need them to make some plays and be a consistent 3rd or 4th option for 12 to throw to. I looked up a few players who I feel Adams in particular compares well to skill wise and in some cases may even be better than. Take a look and I don't know about you but I would take most of these stat lines come seasons end and be happy:

Rookie Seasons:
T.Y. Hilton: 50/861/7 TD
Josh Gordon: 50/805/5 TD
Chris Givens: 42/698/3 TD
Justin Blackmon: 64/865/5 TD
Keenan Allen: 71/1046/8 TD

From a "skill-set" standpoint I think Adams compares nicely to Keenan Allen. Not a burner by definition and deemed more of a possession guy. While the lack of depth in the Charger WR core gave him some added looks I could see Adams equaling these numbers if given the opportunities. Rivers is a nice QB but nowhere near AR. I am looking for a 62/850/7 TD season from Adams and I feel he is more than capable of achieving these numbers as long as he in getting the chances to make the plays. Some of you may think I am being too optimistic but the numbers show that many young guys are making a pretty good initial impact and I for one think his (Adams) game translates well to the League. Let's do the damn thing!!! GPG!!

I don´t have any doubts one or two of the rookies will have some impact, I was replying to a post mentioning the rookies could help the WR corps moving into the top spot in the NFL, which I don´t think will happen. They won´t put up numbers close to the guys you posted above as none of them had to battle for the third spot on the depth chart entering camp (aside of Hilton maybe).

I think Adams will turn into a fine NFL receiver and Abbrederis could as well if he stays healthy and gets stronger. The Packers have enough depth at the position though to bring them along slowly.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I do agree that he didnt get enough touches..

He was in 15 games, started none...25 catches, 1 td, 26 punt ret....34 ko ret..3 total tds....He didnt get any catches in two games, vs the Giants and the Charges, but did have punt and ko returns in those 2 games...Packers won both

In comparison, Nelson's rookie year---started 2 games his rookie year and only had 33 catches, 2 tds and 11 ko ret....

Jennings rookie year---started 11, 45 catches, 3 tds, 5 punt ret..

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t have any doubts one or two of the rookies will have some impact, I was replying to a post mentioning the rookies could help the WR corps moving into the top spot in the NFL, which I don´t think will happen. They won´t put up numbers close to the guys you posted above as none of them had to battle for the third spot on the depth chart entering camp (aside of Hilton maybe).

I think Adams will turn into a fine NFL receiver and Abbrederis could as well if he stays healthy and gets stronger. The Packers have enough depth at the position though to bring them along slowly.

I gotcha. However if Cobb and Nelson have the seasons we expect and somehow Adams puts up Allenesque numbers we could catapult into that best in the business category. That may be tough as there may not be enough balls to go around and I expect there to be a major emphasis on the run game this year as well. Bottom line is winning so regardless of where we end up on the list as long as there are a bunch of W's and a nice trophy in our case I will be one happy camper!

D

Deleted member 6794

I gotcha. However if Cobb and Nelson have the seasons we expect and somehow Adams puts up Allenesque numbers we could catapult into that best in the business category. That may be tough as there may not be enough balls to go around and I expect there to be a major emphasis on the run game this year as well.

I wouldn´t mind Adams putting up numbers similar to Allen´s in San Diego last year, just don´t expect it though. I think the chances are higher for a rookie TE to make an immediate impact.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookies struggle to understand routes and coverages. When rookies have breakout seasons, half of the time it's because of superior skills and half the time it's because they are able to pick up the offense faster than their peers. I'm not putting down Cobb, but his explosive rookie season may have been held back by his comprehension of the offense. You can have a talented kid but if he runs the wrong routes or doesn't even know where to line up when Rodgers rattles off a 15-word play in the huddle....you can't use him often.

As usual, I don't expect much out of Adams, Lyerla, or any of the rookies. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of them step up and contribute. I do expect much out of Boykins and White since they should now know the playbook and let their skills shine.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
On Cobb's first receiving TD in the 2011 opener vs. the Saints, he ran the wrong route. Later in the game he ignored the coach's instructions not to return a kick-off more than 5 yards deep in the end zone. He said God told him to return the KO he caught 8 yards deep in the EZ. God was right as he tied a record with his 108 yard KOR. :D

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Cobb's first receiving TD in the 2011 opener vs. the Saints, he ran the wrong route. Later in the game he ignored the coach's instructions not to return a kick-off more than 5 yards deep in the end zone. He said God told him to return the KO he caught 8 yards deep in the EZ. God was right as he tied a record with his 108 yard KOR. :D
Lesson: God is always right! Cool story, thanks for sharing.

H

HardRightEdge

It's 2014. EVERY team in the NFL is pass first.

Actually, they are not.

"Pass more", perhaps, but many offenses, some particularly effective and reliable, still run to set up the pass, run to control ball, run in short yardage and red zone, and run to burn clock when needed...or at least that's the objective.

The McCarthy Packers are in this group, as are SF, SEA, NE among the noteables.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Statistics of some of the Packer pass receivers had in their rookie year;

1935 Don Hutson 18 receptions - 420 yards - 6 tds played in 10 games
1952 Bill Howton 55 receptions - 1,231 yards - 13 tds 12 game NFL season

1978 James Lofton 48 receptions - 818 yards 5 tds 16 game NFL season

1988 Sterling Shape 58 receptions - 791 yards 1 tds " "

2003 Javon Walker 41 receptions -710 yards 9 Tds " "

2006 Greg Jennings 45 receptions -632 yards 3 tds " "

Last edited:

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are talking WR's only, I would say top 15. If you are referring to our "passing game", I
would say top 3.

Heck, last year we ranked 7th in the league in passing yards and that was without A-Rod for
almost half the season.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are talking WR's only, I would say top 15. If you are referring to our "passing game", I
would say top 3.

Heck, last year we ranked 7th in the league in passing yards and that was without A-Rod for
almost half the season.
Wait... when did we sign Alex Rodriguez?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, if the Commander in Chief can pronounce “corpsman”, “corpse-man” twice in a speech…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Maybe SoonerPack was just spelling it phonetically to avoid that kind of confusion? :D

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Rookie WRs have a hard time making an immediate impact, so I expect Boykin to hold on to the #3 WR spot for another season. But I think Adams will pass him on the depth chart in the long term, otherwise he would be a major disappointment.

I hope neither Quarless nor Bostick will be the starter at TE, Taylor most likely won´t even make the team.
I don't expect Bostick to be an every down TE this year but I think his skill set is geared to create mismatches for defenses. I think he's likely to become a mid-season weapon for Rodgers as he becomes more comfortable with Bostick.
Definitely a lot of moving pieces. We'll have to see what the injury situation looks like after the 4 pre-season games.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't expect Bostick to be an every down TE this year but I think his skill set is geared to create mismatches for defenses. I think he's likely to become a mid-season weapon for Rodgers as he becomes more comfortable with Bostick.
Definitely a lot of moving pieces. We'll have to see what the injury situation looks like after the 4 pre-season games.

In what way will there be a mismatch that he can generate? I think that with him being only 6'3" and 250Lbs, that alone does not scream mismatch. He is kinda small for a TE in todays age of mega size TE's.

Members online

Latest posts