Where does Jordy rank among all time Packers WRs?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15th in receptions in team history (should be 10th by mid point of this season)
12th in TDs in team history (James Jones is 11th!)

Obviously the numbers are in favor of modern WRs but I think its a valid discussion, where do you put him all time in Packers WR rankings? How high could he go?

D

Deleted member 6794

15th in receptions in team history (should be 10th by mid point of this season)
12th in TDs in team history (James Jones is 11th!)

Obviously the numbers are in favor of modern WRs but I think its a valid discussion, where do you put him all time in Packers WR rankings? How high could he go?

I would put Don Hutson, James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman and Donald Driver ahead of him as of right now. In all fairness I probably should rank Greg Jennings ahead of Nelson as well but I still have troubles getting over his antics from last offseason.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would put Don Hutson, James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman and Donald Driver ahead of him as of right now. In all fairness I probably should rank Greg Jennings ahead of Nelson as well but I still have troubles getting over his antics from last offseason.
no one from the 60s?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Donald Driver, Max McGee, Billy Howton, Antonio Freeman, James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe, Don Hutson, Boyd Dowler, and Gregg Jennings ...... all of these guys come in ahead of Nelson, for now. If..... "IF" nelson can stay healthy, he can move up that list.

D

Deleted member 6794

no one from the 60s?

No, I don´t think so. While it was a different game back then none of Max McGee, Boyd Dowler or Carroll Dale ever had more than 54 receptions or 901 yards in a single season so I would put Nelson ahead of all of them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No, I don´t think so. While it was a different game back then none of Max McGee, Boyd Dowler or Carroll Dale ever had more than 54 receptions or 901 yards in a single season so I would put Nelson ahead of all of them.

You have to still consider what the game was more geared for then, the run. Yes, they did some passing, but it was more smash mouth running then. The translation of their stats into todays WR stats may not look all that impressive, but it is a different game and I take that into consideration. Just like Nelson and some others in our current generation dont have to worry about getting their heads ripped off, the old packer wr's did..... that alone will bump some stats lol

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting list. IMO, Freeman is the name that doesn't belong. Thinking back, I can't even remember receivers between Dowler,Dale and Lofton. I think Kenny Payne played during that stretch. Who was Scott Hunter's favorite target? I only remember McGeorge the tight end. I would rank Brooks even with Freeman.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Interesting list. IMO, Freeman is the name that doesn't belong. Thinking back, I can't even remember receivers between Dowler,Dale and Lofton. I think Kenny Payne played during that stretch. Who was Scott Hunter's favorite target? I only remember McGeorge the tight end. I would rank Brooks even with Freeman.

Freeman had 7200+ yards and 61 TD's ...... he has earned a place on the packers wr list.

D

Deleted member 6794

You have to still consider what the game was more geared for then, the run. Yes, they did some passing, but it was more smash mouth running then. The translation of their stats into todays WR stats may not look all that impressive, but it is a different game and I take that into consideration. Just like Nelson and some others in our current generation dont have to worry about getting their heads ripped off, the old packer wr's did..... that alone will bump some stats lol

I´m well aware of the fact the Packers team during the 60s passed the ball way less than today´s team, nevertheless I decided to rank those receivers behind Nelson. Just my opinion of course.

Dale was still playing when Hunter was the Packers QB. Jon Staggers and Steve Odom caught some passes before the Packers before they drafted Lofton. Brooks had one great season and another with more than 1,000 yards but aside of that didn´t have more than 650 yards during any of his other seasons with the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
go and look at the top Wr in the 60's in entire league

Max made top ten 5 different years for yards per catch..One of those he led the league...He made top ten only once for rec...4 years made top ten in TD....1 years in top ten yards per game....He played 7 years

Dowler made top ten in rec 3 years..Made top ten once for yards per catch..Never made top ten for TD...One year top ten yards per game....He played 12 years

Nelson has played 6 years...Never made top ten in rec..Made top ten in yards per catch 1 time..top ten in TD only once...One time top ten in yards per game

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Freeman nine years

Two times in top ten for catches
4 times top ten for TD ( two years was 2nd place)
1 time yards per catch
3 times yard per game (one time led league)

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something else to consider would be any All-Pro (and to a lesser extent, Pro Bowl) honors. Dowler and Dale were named to a few All-Pro teams, and Dowler was UPI's Rookie Of The Year in 1959. No Pro Bowls for Brooks, but he was AP's Comeback Player of the Year in '97, and was on USA Today's All-Pro team for the '95 season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO two things are important when considering a player's place in history: First, LTF has the right idea - compare players to their contemporaries. And second, wait until players careers are over.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Freeman nine years

1 time yards per catch
That's interesting and informative. I guess I just never considered Freeman to be among the NFL elite level receivers. I think Nelson is very close to that elite level right now.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freeman nine years

1 time yards per catch

He's also #24 all time in receiving yards and tied for #3 all time in receiving TDs in the playoffs

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of accomplishments he's not there yet but he still has several good years left. A fast big body type like Jordy should be effective into his middle thirties. But in terms of character Jordy's tied for first.

Members online

Latest posts