Where do you Guys Watch the Game

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in NYC--so only a few games are televised locally. That means I usually have to go someplace to watch the game.
Last year, or actually from 07, I had been going to an Irish Bar here in Astoria for less important games. Before, for games not televised locally, I went to a place called Kettle of Fish, in the Village. At the Kettle, they only play Packer games. It is good to be among fans, and it is good to hear the game (as opposed to some other game, usually Jets or Giants). But there are some drawbacks. First, I have to leave my place before 11--on a Sunday--so that I can get there before noon. Well before noon, there is a line at the door. If you get there around 11:40, you can usually get a seat, but not always. On big games, you will often be turnred away if you show up around kickoff. Other problems with Kettle of Fish, most of the Packer fans there are kind of cliquish. If you are not from Wisconsin you are a bit of an outsider. More importantly, Patrick the only always plays that polka song by The Happy Schnapps Combo "I love my Green Bay Packers." Now since they always play it when the Pack scores a touchdown, I associate with a lot of great memories. But I reallyy do not like the song. It sounds liek a Polka song geared for kindergardners.
As for Irish Rover, last year after Crosby shanked that fiedl goal, Mike, the Bartender, came up to me, put his arm around me, and said "We love having you hear but we have a bar-room full of people. . .." I took that as being one step removed from being 86d. So, from then on I either watched it at home or at Kettle.
This year, I went back, but not on a Sunday. Some people encouraged me to come back, so I did for the Lions game. People, including the part-owner, came up to talk to me re Judas, and this supposed "Packer Fan" named Joe, who is really just a Favre fan. That day half the drinks I had other people bought me. I went back last week, had some choice words with the imposter, and again half the drinks were paid for. I have met some cool guys over there, many of them Irish. The owner and the bartender both said they want me there. I have amnesty for that wewek to act like a complete maniac, provided I do not break anything, or that I do not get in a fight--at least not without cause.
So I am not sure where I will go. Aside from being close to me, the drinks are a lot cheaper at the Rover. I watched the MNF game at home, and will not be doing that this time. The problem with the Rover is there are no other Packer fans, although almost everyone sides with me about loyalties.
So, I am definitely going somewhere, just not sure where.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here in San Diego is a place called "The Aussie" which is a Packers bar. They only show the Packers when they play. Often times it gets to be standing room only, which is pretty awesome.

lambeauharrier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watch nfl from home, sky sports. I would never be able to watch it out because they show soccer and stuff like that.

well so far this season sky hasnt shown us :|
last year they showed us a fair bit.

and as far as answering the to the thread i try and watch an online stream.

and in reply to lone wolf's dilemma, i'd go to the second one you talk about where theres not many packer fans, you get an unbiassed opinion and didnt you say the drinks were cheaper :D ?:happy0005:

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my living room on DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't think I could live without it. Okay, maybe I could live but it wouldn't be a happy existence.

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So no one goes to a venue huh. Any suggestions as too which one I should go to?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I live about 50 miles south of GB... so, I usually watch from home or at the stadium if I feel like it - but I don't much like doing battle at the stadium anymore. I'll hit one or two at the most per season at Lambeau

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live about 50 miles south of GB... so, I usually watch from home or at the stadium if I feel like it - but I don't much like doing battle at the stadium anymore. I'll hit one or two at the most per season at Lambeau

I envy you. I have not yet made the pilgrimage to Lambeau. I live in NYC. And am origianlly from Seattle. I was there against the Giants however.
So if you were I, would you go to the Irish bar i described, or the dedicated Packer bar.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0AamHDELPs]YouTube - kettle of fish[/ame]

You can see me at frame 2:44 shouting and yelling like a madman.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Given those two choices and the fact that you've been sentenced to New York City ... :smile2: ... I'd personally do the Packer bar.

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given those two choices and the fact that you've been sentenced to New York City ... :smile2: ... I'd personally do the Packer bar.

Well, the boys at the Irish Rover have invited me. They are expecting me. Plus the Packer bar plays that gay polka song "I love my Green Bay Packers." I am still not sure
Concerning NYC, I think it is time to escape, before i have to do so Snake Pleskin style.

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus I would have to leave before 11 to get there before noon. For that game I would prob have to leave sooner.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is actually a PackerBacker club here in upstate NY. They usually get together and watch the games at a bar. But as of late Giants fans have slowly been taking it over. Let me just say it was UGLY 2 years ago between the 2 groups, I dont think I need to recap the game.

Other than that theres a few sports bars with Direct TV. If I dont go out I load up ESPN gamecast and watch the cool green lines move back and forth.

As with other NY'ers, Jets, Giants rule and Packers games are rarely shown :(

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You watch at Kettle of fish? Did you see the Cheeseheadtv guys when they were there, making a blogcast?

Less and less. It is a pain because you have to leave before 11, wait around before nooon if yoyu want a seat. I also do not like that polka song. The drawback is that they typically do not ahve soind at Irish Rover for the Packer games. This weekend will be an exception.
I usually try to make it to Kettle of Fish for the big games. But lately the local boys--blue collar Irish--have taken a liking to me. They have pretty much invited me to come, and the owner said I have complete amnesty to act like a madman, provided I do nto break anything or anybody, the latter at least without proper provocation.
Last couple of times I have been there half my drinks were bought by other peope. There is this guy who comes here--another Pom-Pom Favre fan--who claims to be a Packer fan, and yet he was watching--and cheering for--the Viikngs. I had some choice words for him. I thini I have warmed up to the boys there becaue they appreciate that I am real fan, and they empathize with what we are going through.
I guess I was not there for the blogcast. I went to the local bar for the lions and browns game.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to live in California and hated that 10AM start time for the games at Lambeau. I'd have to get up and drive about an hour to the nearest Packer bar. I'm in Wisconsin now so I usually watch the Sunday Ticket at home or go to the stadium.
But I'm also a big fan of Irish bars, so I think you should go there. That Guinness/Packers combo is hard to beat and the songs will be better too.

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to live in California and hated that 10AM start time for the games at Lambeau. I'd have to get up and drive about an hour to the nearest Packer bar. I'm in Wisconsin now so I usually watch the Sunday Ticket at home or go to the stadium.
But I'm also a big fan of Irish bars, so I think you should go there. That Guinness/Packers combo is hard to beat and the songs will be better too.

There will not be any songs, by The Happy Schnapps Combo or otherwise. Mike said I get sound for the Packer game. Guiness is great in the fall and winter. I usually drink beefeater and tonic.

Members online

Latest posts