Where do we need to improve this season?

Aussie124

Cheesehead
Reaction score
G`day guys, forgive me if this question is too broad and simple, but I am new to the game and following the packers, I was wondering if you could tell me what it is our team needs to improve in 09-10?
I see we went from a 13-3 to a 6-10? That automatically suggested to me that when favre left, we dropped 7 games because of it, but then Ive gone on to find our offense was one of the best in the league and Rodgers is a gun QB, so is it our D that is lacking?

Ive also read that there atleast 4-5 games last yr where we lost by less than a field goal? So if we won those we would have won the division?

Love to hear everyone`s thoughts, Go Pack!

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest thing is the O-line and the running game. They go hand in hand, but it put a ton of pressure on Rogers to perform alone, essentially. This year, they need to have a much better o line and Grant needs to pick it up.

They lost games because I think the defense couldn't hold anything. This year could bring change in the 3-4, as Capers is a great coach and they seem to have the right pieces. They have the talent to be 13-3. They know it. Its just a matter of them putting it all together again.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
My biggest thing is the O-line and the running game. They go hand in hand, but it put a ton of pressure on Rogers to perform alone, essentially. This year, they need to have a much better o line and Grant needs to pick it up.

They lost games because I think the defense couldn't hold anything. This year could bring change in the 3-4, as Capers is a great coach and they seem to have the right pieces. They have the talent to be 13-3. They know it. Its just a matter of them putting it all together again.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
G`day guys, forgive me if this question is too broad and simple, but I am new to the game and following the packers, I was wondering if you could tell me what it is our team needs to improve in 09-10?
I see we went from a 13-3 to a 6-10? That automatically suggested to me that when favre left, we dropped 7 games because of it, but then Ive gone on to find our offense was one of the best in the league and Rodgers is a gun QB, so is it our D that is lacking?

Ive also read that there atleast 4-5 games last yr where we lost by less than a field goal? So if we won those we would have won the division?

Love to hear everyone`s thoughts, Go Pack!

For the reasons you stated, I wasn't disappointed in our 6-10 record. Injuries hurt too. Also, many analysts saw what we did. But, little did anyone know last year that we would be going to a 3-4 defense. This is very exciting.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the reasons you stated, I wasn't disappointed in our 6-10 record. Injuries hurt too. Also, many analysts saw what we did. But, little did anyone know last year that we would be going to a 3-4 defense. This is very exciting.

Sure is. The Pack were easily one of the most banged up teams in the league. Jones, Barnett, Hawk (I will bet money he was injured last year but it was kept quiet), Bigby, Harris, Rogers, Grant, and much more.

All starters. And with those losses, this team still stacked up 6 wins, and if they hung on in the last 2 mins of a few they could of maybe gotten a wild card look. Bottom line is that if they can maintain health, or at least have less of a heavy blow they could be good.

The schedule favors the new defense. It is forgiving in the beginning of the year which will be good for the defense to gel and play weaker opponents (record wise) from the previous year.

If they can find themselves in time for week 8, which is AMPLE time and game experience, we could be in for an exciting season. Lets hope.

Briznock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the awful lot of penalties from both sides of the ball.

This was the absolute worst part of watching games last season. Every. Single. Play. The play would end and if I didn't see the flag fly on TV I was watching for the little yellow box to pop onto the screen. It was atrocious. McCarthy better plant it in their heads that this needs to change. You can't be one of the most (if not THE most) penalized team in the league and win games consistently.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the awful lot of penalties from both sides of the ball.
Unfortunately, this has been going for some time. Colledge, Harris, Bigby, those three guys, specially, have been making penalty after penalty. I was looking to an improvement in 2008, but nothing. Hope this year it'll go better, specially in the false starts/holdings from the OL, and the pass interference (some the refs just made up, I agree) from the D...

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Penalties, Running Game and O-Line.

All have been stated in this thread, but I really hope that Grant can find his game. 2007, Favre's last year, he rocked it. I am hoping Rodgers can open up the run game with better passing.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penalties, Running Game and O-Line.

All have been stated in this thread, but I really hope that Grant can find his game. 2007, Favre's last year, he rocked it. I am hoping Rodgers can open up the run game with better passing.

I don't think Rogers has done anything wrong, Grant needed to be in camp and his bum hamstring did not help matters. If he stinks this season too, we can all maybe consider this as another Samkon Gado-type situation. Comes into the scene, looks like it could be an answer and is not.

Although I do not think Gado is half the back Grant is, still reminds me. I am bent on them making Jackson-Grant a 1-2 punch.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of teams are going with a 1-2 punch, which I feel is VERY effective. It pays dividends later in games when both still have a good amount of energy from splitting up the run plays.

justin22885

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im also going to agree with o-line.. if you think rodgers was great last year.. imagine if he had more time... and if grant had a hole once in a while... and establishing the running game blows the passing game wide open.... defense did fail last year, but there was a lot of injuries, injuries aside, and if the 3-4 performs as planned.. i say the o-line should be the focus now...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got the talent, we got the coaches... It's a matter of everything coming together and the core of the team staying healthy. Which is my biggest concert. We already had too many injuries in practice... And guess who's injured AGAIN??? Hint: Back problem...

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I go through the depth chart, its really hard to find a lot of holes IMO. If we cut down on stupid penalties, we will be very good

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year our offense was good enough to get the job done. But the injuries on defense made that unit a mess and it trickled down to the ST. Because we had so many D starters out our ST guys were forced to start. On top of it all our D was so darn predictable and reactive they had problems stopping other teams - including the lowly *****! :eek:hmy:

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we need to improve everywhere ,, well minus QB Rodgers did have a stand out year ... but even that needs to be proven i mean over time ... will Rodgers keep playing at that level and improve or will somthing happen ??? thats a big question in my head .. other than Rodgers yea we pritty much need to get better in every aspect of the game ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we need to improve everywhere ,, well minus QB Rodgers did have a stand out year ... but even that needs to be proven i mean over time ... will Rodgers keep playing at that level and improve or will somthing happen ??? thats a big question in my head .. other than Rodgers yea we pritty much need to get better in every aspect of the game ...
SOME aspects of the game I agree with you. But not everywhere and certainly not everybody. It's impossible to get pro bowlers in every position. But even then, let's see:

QB- played at a pro bowl level in 2008
RB- Most yardage rb in the league since he was named started
FB- Rookie or average player
WR- 1 pro bowler, 1 soon to be pro bowler, top 5 Wr, 2 rookies that showed a lot of potential
TE- good player, 2nd year with lots of potential
LT- Pro bowler, but old
LG- needs to be better, show consistency
C- needs to be better
RG- 2nd year player that shows a lot of potential
RT- problem
---
NT- Very good player, that never played in this position. Seems to be natural
DE- 1 that was having a pro bowl year till got hurt, and the other is a problem. Could be a very promising Rookie that hasn't been to TC, could be an average player at best, or could be a 1st rounder that can't stay healthy.
ILB- former top 5 pick, needs to get better, and a pro bowler
OLB- pro bowler, 3rd best sacker since 2005, promising rookie or 2nd year player.
CB- pro bowler, pro bowler
FS- pro bowler
SS- 2007 had an amazing year, 2008 played bad and injuried.

Yeah, seems like we need to improve everywhere.

Members online

Latest posts