Where are we?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much emphasis by the experts on BIG moves and the glitzy draft picks I guess to get people to watch them or read what they write, or, maybe they are just too lazy to do the real work.

Most teams make a couple of FA moves and grab onto a draft pick or two that will contribute right away but what about the rest of the returning players?

Are they going to contribute MORE, LESS, or, about the SAME as the previous year. I would say this is kind of important because it probably makes up about 85% of the team out on the field.

My take is that if it's a veteran you will get about the same production as the past year unless it's an aged veteran who may fall off some. If your looking at the younger guys I would think they would show improvement.

THE 2007 GREEN BAY PACKERS:

DEFENSE:

Safety: Collins MORE - He's better than what he showed LY.
Safety: Underwood MORE - He's better than Manuel hands down
CB: Harris Same - One or two more years-PLEASE
CB:Woodson Same- See above
LB:Hawk MORE - He don't watch mean dogs he IS one
LB: Barnett Same - I'll take more of the same all day
LB: Poppinga MORE - Entering at 100% healthy- oh yeah
DE: Kampman Same - The same ole as in MR. Consistant
DE: Jenkins More - More games in the right position
DL: Pickett Same - Always there doing his job
DL; Harrell More - Soaking up "0" line for Hawk and crew

OFFENSE:

RB: Mo and Jackson Same - Actually more rushing yards combined
FB: Miree Same - could edge to MORE with 1yr under belt
WR: Driver Same - Like 90 catches surprises anymore
WR: Jennings More - Twice the catches with two legs
WR:Martin/Jones/krob More - Because BF will check down more
TE:Lee/Bubba More - They CAN'T drop more passes than last year
Tackle: Tausher More - technique is getting second hand
Tackle: Clifton More - See above
Grd: Spitz More - a full year under the belt does wonders
Grd: Colledge More - see above
Center: Wells More - The leader of the "Band"
QB: Favre More - Higher completion rate for sure

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Kicking More - We have some young guys that are scary!

Receiving ? - Not sure who will win these jobs yet

Field goals More - Good competition there

Punting Same - Hopefully better but wait and see

I don't see anybody getting so old they start to regress yet although that could start creeping in next year. I DO see a lot of guys who should elevate their play and help this team get better.

Our "0" line being SO young last year coming back with experience and Mo not winging it in the backfield like last season should pay off in the running game and I predict our running game will be fine.

INTERNAL IMPROVEMENT GRADE: A

They give one for the draft so hey, why not, it involves way more players that ultimately determine how well the team plays.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's pretty safe to say Collins regressed, no doubt his performance was affected by Manuel's stinky play. because of that i'd say he has no choice but to improve from last year.

i'd also really like to see Underwood out there healthy. if the Collins/Underwood duo gel together properly we could have a mean Safety tandem on lock for yeeeaaars..

also..G_B_P. try this one in your sig. that banner is ginormous.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

link

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If these improvements DO materialize, the Packers could be the surprise in the NFC.
Of course all we have is that "if" right now, it has to actually happen.
I think it will......but i'm always trying to be optomistic as far as the Packers go.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy cheesey...that is a lot of "what ifs", and banking on that which you TT lovers talk so much about....potential!! This team is young, and that youth will be the death of this team in 2007. We should have blown our *** on every FA available to put another ring on Brett's finger...**** the future...for it is now. His last years are being wasted!

Sorry, the forum has been absent of such outbursts or a while. Much like drugs, it is hard to go cold turkey, so this should help qwell the jones we are all experiencing.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
well its nice to see we have a lot of options but we need a few decent receivers

I'm not sure we need more decent receivers as much as we need ONE or two to step up from decent to good. I think Jennings will be very solid and that will help that group. The competition here might just bring one out.

We were basically down to one good receiver last year after Jennings struggled with the ankle and KRob got put out. It didn't help any that Gardner did nothing and Fergy ended up on the sidelines for like the sixth straight year.

I think the cumulative affect of a healthy Jennings and a #3 that stands out in that crowd will be what we need.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, the more I see and read about Jones, the more I like him. He seems to have the same skill set as Sterling Sharpe, which is not such a bad thing. Great hands and fights for the ball, uses his body well to gain space, always comes back to the ball and has excellent evasive skills upon making the catch. Add that to guys like Ruvell Martin, and my dark horse, Carlyle Holliday, and we should be in decent shape.

MonBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to pee in your wheaties, Warhawk and Digs, but this and $1.50 will get you a can of coke, and that's all.

It's all speculation, in my book, and banking on a mostly rookie team to make a vast improvement over last year is wishful thinking in my book.

That's why Wolf went out and got a good mixture of veterans to make the Packer teams of the 90's better.

I think TT is taking more of a gamble with this approach than anyone on this forum truly wants to admit.

:twocents:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, the more I see and read about Jones, the more I like him. He seems to have the same skill set as Sterling Sharpe, which is not such a bad thing. Great hands and fights for the ball, uses his body well to gain space, always comes back to the ball and has excellent evasive skills upon making the catch. Add that to guys like Ruvell Martin, and my dark horse, Carlyle Holliday, and we should be in decent shape.

no no digs, i think you have it backwards. they are all going to play terribly.

Jesus, can't you stay in character for more than one post?

MonBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, the more I see and read about Jones, the more I like him. He seems to have the same skill set as Sterling Sharpe, which is not such a bad thing. Great hands and fights for the ball, uses his body well to gain space, always comes back to the ball and has excellent evasive skills upon making the catch.

Funny, that's what they said about "Fergie", and we all know how that turned out.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to pee in your wheaties, Warhawk and Digs, but this and $1.50 will get you a can of coke, and that's all.

It's all speculation, in my book, and banking on a mostly rookie team to make a vast improvement over last year is wishful thinking in my book.

That's why Wolf went out and got a good mixture of veterans to make the Packer teams of the 90's better.

I think TT is taking more of a gamble with this approach than anyone on this forum truly wants to admit.

:twocents:

good ol' P@ck, how the hell are ya bud? :jumpflame:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F*ck TT, f*ck MM, f*ck young players, f*ck potential........f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck!!!

Better, arrow?

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We win the North in '07. We grind out a decent offense and finish teams with a gut busting "D". That's just the way it is.

We got eight or ten guys that can just go out there and play instead of think so much. How many teams have that much internal improvement upside.

Not many because most didn't have to play that many rooks last year. What was our downfall last year should help us turn the corner this time around.

I think that many guys making solid improvement over last year is far more reaching than drafting Robert Meachem or Ted Ginn.

But you won't hear that from the experts out there.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with dreaming about what players might do this year and how successful the Packers could be if everything goes just perfectly. Me, I put more stock in results than I do potential.

Think I'll wait and see how good the players and the team actually perform this year instead of saying how good they should or could be. Probably something I learned from watching the Packers for more than 50 years.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with dreaming about what players might do this year and how successful the Packers could be if everything goes just perfectly. Me, I put more stock in results than I do potential.

Think I'll wait and see how good the players and the team actually perform this year instead of saying how good they should or could be. Probably something I learned from watching the Packers for more than 50 years.

that sounds pretty level-headed to me. theres absolutely nothing wrong with that perspective.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your old too? DANGIT. But yes we will need to wait and see. Right now I like the direction we are going. WOOO

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
i think it's pretty safe to say Collins regressed, no doubt his performance was affected by Manuel's stinky play. because of that i'd say he has no choice but to improve from last year.

i'd also really like to see Underwood out there healthy. if the Collins/Underwood duo gel together properly we could have a mean Safety tandem on lock for yeeeaaars..

also..G_B_P. try this one in your sig. that banner is ginormous.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

link

Can't belive I have to inform a PF.com Staff member of the rules, but...

7.)Avatar/Signature Images
Must comply with posting rules of forum. i.e. nothing vulgar, including profanity, politics etc.
May be animated.
Can be removed by an Admin at any time for any reason, with or without notice to the user.
Signature Images may be no bigger than 400px (wide) and 150px (tall).

Just 38px tad too much in the ole height department.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Clifton is on the downside and a few others too. I think those predictions are a tad on the generous side for some of the older guys. Mo and Jackson totaling more yards? I dunno. We had something like 1,500 from Mo and Green. I don't know if Jackson will be able to offset the difference from what Mo gains.