Where are they now? Donny Anderson is on the golf course

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Former Packers dynamo Donny Anderson spoke of playing golf after morning practices, the art of punting left-footed, asking Vince Lombardi about the chances of dabbling as an offseason pro basebal...

Source: Packers.com

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 1966 Paul Hornung & Jim Taylor were in the twilight of their careers. Lombardi drafted Anderson and Jim Grabowski ( a fullback & All American out of Illinois) for their replacements. At that time the NFL & the AFL were competing for the same players and "bidding wars" were going on as to see what league was going to get the best players. Lombardi got his new backfield, but it cost him. Anderson signed for the unheard of sum of $600,000, and Grabowski at $400,000, and the pair got a new name...the "Gold Dust Twins"

After the signing, Jim Taylor had seen enough, and after seeing Lombardi paying big money on unproven talent, he played out his option in 1966, and became a free agent in 1967 and signed with the new New Orleans Saints for his "big payday"

Ok, but what happened to Hornung? After advice from 3 doctors, Hornung retired after the 1966 season due to a neck injury, being the only Green Bay Packer NOT to play in the first Super Bowl. "I have had 9 great years" he said.

Now...the rest of the story....The New Orleans Saints took a chance that perhaps Hornung had a few good years left in him and actually SIGNED Hornung to a football contract.
That's right...

Jim Taylor & Paul Hornung, the "Thunder & Lightning" backfield that won 3 NFL titles and the first Super Bowl for Lombardi's Packers were actually listed as the New Orleans Saints first fullback and halfback! Of course Hornung took the money and went to New Orleans...he never suited up and never played another snap. Taylor lasted the 1967 season and retired.

"...but now you know...the rest of the story!"

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I did not know that. Great little piece of history/trivia. I am glad that Hornung went out the way he did rather than playing and going out on a losing/embarrassing note.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not know that. Great little piece of history/trivia. I am glad that Hornung went out the way he did rather than playing and going out on a losing/embarrassing note.

4 God's sake, who are you talking about?

Latest posts