When will Rodgers get "Farved"?

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. But what if he's the number one player on your board?

I don´t think the draft approach should be to select the best player on the board, but the one who presents the most value to your team based on ranking and position of need. Right now it wouldn´t make any sense to spend a first rounder on a QB as the guy wouldn´t play a meaningful down of football over his entire rookie contract as long as Rodgers stays healthy.

I think you've got to take him in that case. It's a true BPA approach. You have to trust your board. Because if you pass on him, and the Vikings trade up behind us and snag him and he turns out to be All-Pro you're giving a division rival 8+ wins a year.

If that´s your thinking process you would have to sign every free agent the Vikings are interested in as well.

The Vikings passed on Rodgers (who was probably on top of their board) because they thought they had a guy at QB (Daunte Cullpepper) and they took Everson Griffin who was a need. Look how that turned out for them. Obviously, Favre was pretty old when we took Rodgers, but we passed on need for BPA.

While Rodgers didn´t fill a position of immediate need, it was highly probable that he will take over during the time he was still under his rookie contract as he signed a five-year deal.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. But what if he's the number one player on your board?

I think you've got to take him in that case. It's a true BPA approach. You have to trust your board. Because if you pass on him, and the Vikings trade up behind us and snag him and he turns out to be All-Pro you're giving a division rival 8+ wins a year.

The Vikings passed on Rodgers (who was probably on top of their board) because they thought they had a guy at QB (Daunte Cullpepper) and they took Everson Griffin who was a need. Look how that turned out for them. Obviously, Favre was pretty old when we took Rodgers, but we passed on need for BPA.
TT has Crabtree on the top of his board and took Raji. I assume because he saw a better value for the Packers in Raji.

Stock piling 1st round QBs bc your worried a rival could draft one is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team could use more of an Aaron Rodgers. If a QB falls to the Packers and TT thinks he could be the next Aaron, he'll take him.

Might not play for the Packers, but a Rodgers type player would have a LOT more trade value than the 21st pick. Plus, TT could ship him off the to AFC. I'm with Shawnsta in that if a team like the Vikings picks up a guy that good after we passed, we'd would regret it. We all saw a few seasons ago what a good QB can do for Minnesota.

Or maybe Rodgers pulls a Culpepper in the next couple years and regresses and then blows his knees out. If there's a clear cut best player, have to take him if you can't get value by trading down.

Imagine Wolf not passing on Moss? If the Packers pass on a very good player, he falls right into the lap of another team and the Packers have nothing to show for it.

H

HardRightEdge

While Rodgers didn´t fill a position of immediate need, it was highly probable that he will take over during the time he was still under his rookie contract as he signed a five-year deal.

That about sums it up. Rodgers is 30. Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted and already mumbling about retirement.

Further, if we were to take a QB in the first round he would be smart to not sign a contract and demand his rights be traded rather than rot on the bench for 4 years. Playing in Canada for a year if necessary would be the best move in the long run. Under those circumstances, the player is damaged goods and the value of the pick will not be recovered.

Further still, there is the opportunity cost...forgoing the opportunity to draft a quality player who might actually play.

There is zero chance the Packers would take a QB in the first round.

This is all Favre-dead-ender baiting or a complete misunderstanding of how this all works.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Every team could use more of an Aaron Rodgers. If a QB falls to the Packers and TT thinks he could be the next Aaron, he'll take him.

Might not play for the Packers, but a Rodgers type player would have a LOT more trade value than the 21st pick. Plus, TT could ship him off the to AFC.

There´s absolutely no chance that a guy who wouldn´t play any meaningful downs in three years would return more than the 21st pick in a trade.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I would seriously consider giving up my long time run of packer fandom if we picked up a QB like bridgewater...... TT would be officially considered off his rocker and on the way to the old folks home.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s absolutely no chance that a guy who wouldn´t play any meaningful downs in three years would return more than the 21st pick in a trade.

I'm saying if TT thinks he'll be a Rodgers like player. He would earn value.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm saying if TT thinks he'll be a Rodgers like player. He would earn value.

Would you please explain how drafting a QB, even if the guy would have similar talents as Rodgers coming out of college, would result in any return value for the Packers??? I don´t understand how that should work.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you please explain how drafting a QB, even if the guy would have similar talents as Rodgers coming out of college, would result in any return value for the Packers??? I don´t understand how that should work.

Simple. He plays better than his pick during his limited playing time. It's happened more a than few times in the league where a team traded their back up for a higher than where he was drafted. If another Rodgers like guy is on the team, he'll have value.

Beat case scenario would be to trade down anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

Simple. He plays better than his pick during his limited playing time. It's happened more a than few times in the league where a team traded their back up for a higher than where he was drafted. If another Rodgers like guy is on the team, he'll have value.

I really hope our backup QB won´t get any meaningful playing time over the next four seasons and even if he does it is hard to imagine the guy plays any better than Flynn did in 2010 and 2011. Still, no team was interested in trading for Flynn as it was obvious the Packers won´t re-sign him for the money he will be asking for. It´s hard to imagine a team would be willing to give up more than or even something close to the 21st pick four years from now for our backup QB while knowing for sure we will hold on to Rodgers for some more years.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope our backup QB won´t get any meaningful playing time over the next four seasons and even if he does it is hard to imagine the guy plays any better than Flynn did in 2010 and 2011. Still, no team was interested in trading for Flynn as it was obvious the Packers won´t re-sign him for the money he will be asking for. It´s hard to imagine a team would be willing to give up more than or even something close to the 21st pick four years from now for our backup QB while knowing for sure we will hold on to Rodgers for some more years.

Flynn was a 7th rounder who arm is still barley NFL quality. His natural talent is no where near any 1st rounder.

Teams do desperate things for QBs.

Basically, I don't want the Packers passing on a guy that good, regardless of position, and not getting any value out of it. If a team consistently does that, it's consistently letting the rest of the league get the better players without anything in return.

This is all highly unlikely anyway. No QB this year is going to end up as good as Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Flynn was a 7th rounder who arm is still barley NFL quality. His natural talent is no where near any 1st rounder.

True, but the Seahawks highly overpaid for him once he became he free agent because of what he did in 2010 and 2011. If the Packers draft a QB at #21 this year and the guy sits on the bench for three years no team in 2017 will care about the fact that he was a first rounder in 2014.

Basically, I don't want the Packers passing on a guy that good, regardless of position, and not getting any value out of it. If a team consistently does that, it's consistently letting the rest of the league get the better players without anything in return.

I want TT to improve the team during the draft and we won´t achieve that by using our first round pick on a guy that will most likely never play any significant downs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but the Seahawks highly overpaid for him once he became he free agent because of what he did in 2010 and 2011. If the Packers draft a QB at #21 this year and the guy sits on the bench for three years no team in 2017 will care about the fact that he was a first rounder in 2014.

I want TT to improve the team during the draft and we won´t achieve that by using our first round pick on a guy that will most likely never play any significant downs.

Let's say we agree to disagree.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you mean when will Rodgers start playing the 'I'm going to retire, no I'm not' game and when will Rodgers start telling Thompson how to do his job, and when will Rodgers start dodging mini camps, and when will Rodgers want his own locker, and when will Rodgers publicly announce his retirement, then change his mind, be accepted back and then change his mind again... and then again? Never is my guess because in the end, Favre "Favred" himself.
I agree with everyone else that there is zero chance that a top pick is used on a QB this season.

However, Rodgers has started publicly lobbying Thompson to keep certain players. I'm not predicting a Favre-esque slide into doucheville but 99% of Packers fans thought Favre was the salt of the earth at about this same point that Rodgers is in his career. If the Packers hire Mike Sherman Jr. to coach the Packers in five years....who knows

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Packers drafting a possible replacement or grooming project for Rodgers until AT LEAST 2017. Even then it all depends on how Rodgers feels mentally, physically, and emotionally. It would be smart to get a top quality QB to take over for Rodgers when the time comes, but it won't be like Favre. Rodgers knows how to act and what to do not just because I think he is a good, humble guy but also because he saw what Favre did and how he felt and he doesn't want to replicate that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
However, Rodgers has started publicly lobbying Thompson to keep certain players.
"A point that often gets overlooked is Favre started his selfish ‘I may retire, beg me to come back’ dance before Thompson arrived as GM. Once Thompson became GM, by Favre’s own words to Greta he was immediately telling Thompson, “his boss’s boss” how to do his job. And not only that, but at the time Favre was telling Thompson how to do his job, Favre himself hadn’t committed to playing the 2005 season. Imagine that from Thompson’s point of view."

I wrote that a couple of years ago and the point that I didn't make but was inferred is whether or not Favre expressed it, there was at least a suggestion that Favre was using his return as leverage against Thompson. I don't see Rodgers doing anything similar. It's one thing to publicly support a teammate's return to the team, IMO Favre went way beyond that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree.

My only point was that Favre started out by publicly supporting the return of teammates such as Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker. It was all innocent enough until....

I really hope that Rodgers ego holds in check but I'm not willing to make the proclamation for anyone. I've already stated in several old threads that I am not a fan of any franchise player publicly lobbying for the GM to keep a player. I think that Rodgers and any other player should respectfully respond to media inquiries that they've enjoyed playing with "so and so" but will leave all the decisions to their coach and their GM. Any lobbying, if at all, should happen face-to-face in the GM's office and not in the media.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Beat case scenario would be to trade down anyway.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... yes it's happened. Ummm... Brent FerverInt?

dr. googlemeister is having a hard time with this one huh?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"A point that often gets overlooked is Favre started his selfish ‘I may retire, beg me to come back’ dance before Thompson arrived as GM. Once Thompson became GM, by Favre’s own words to Greta he was immediately telling Thompson, “his boss’s boss” how to do his job. And not only that, but at the time Favre was telling Thompson how to do his job, Favre himself hadn’t committed to playing the 2005 season. Imagine that from Thompson’s point of view."

I wrote that a couple of years ago and the point that I didn't make but was inferred is whether or not Favre expressed it, there was at least a suggestion that Favre was using his return as leverage against Thompson. I don't see Rodgers doing anything similar. It's one thing to publicly support a teammate's return to the team, IMO Favre went way beyond that.

This is a guy that is so amazingly stupid that he text photos of himself whacking off to some random woman he hardly knew and didn't think it would get out! ... it cracks me up that brent fans actually think he'd be smart enough to tell Thompson how to do his job.:laugh:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a guy that is so amazingly stupid that he text photos of himself whacking off to some random woman he hardly knew and didn't think it would get out! ... it cracks me up that brent fans actually think he'd be smart enough to tell Thompson how to do his job.:laugh:
Why not, Sherman convinced Wolf he could do his job.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... yes it's happened. Ummm... Brent FerverInt?

dr. googlemeister is having a hard time with this one huh?

Yeah, Favre is an excellent example of a QB who played great during his limited time as a backup (4 passes, zero completions and two INTs).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Favre is an excellent example of a QB who played great during his limited time as a backup (4 passes, zero completions and two INTs).

Yet he still was traded for a 1st rounder because of talent. Teams do desperate things for QBs.

Members online

Latest posts